mtbr member

Medium Ogre wanted

Anyone have an 18"/medium Ogre (complete or frame) with an uncut steerer they'd like to move along? Thanks!

Ryan

Tires
    I'd be tempted to get rid of mine for a decent price. It's 18" currently built as a single speed. Fork is uncut. If I didn't already have my Troll, I'd trade my Ogre for the one you're selling.

Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

likes beer

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute View Post
    Anyone have an 18"/medium Ogre (complete or frame) with an uncut steerer they'd like to move along? Thanks!

Ryan
    It's hard to see in those pictures, because I was using a cardboard tube for the top spacer stack for that picture. (I set the headset bearings with real spacers, then tightened everything down, then I needed those spacers for another bike, so I temporarily used a cardboard tube that fit perfectly, until more spacers came in the mail.) I never cut it because I never quite bonded with the bike, or decided on a handlebar height. Here you can see the uncut steerer better - This is when it was set up with an Alfine Ćleven Internally Geared Hub, but the steerer tube remains the same:

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by manida View Post
    That steerer tube has been cut - they bought it as a complete, which comes pre-cut, as rcnute was saying. I think those new forks are like a hundred bucks or so, if he needed the extra length after buying that one, but I think the stand-alone forks only come in black - I could be wrong though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    It's hard to see in those pictures, because I was using a cardboard tube for the top spacer stack for that picture. (I set the headset bearings with real spacers, then tightened everything down, then I needed those spacers for another bike, so I temporarily used a cardboard tube that fit perfectly, until more spacers came in the mail.) I never cut it because I never quite bonded with the bike, or decided on a handlebar height. Here you can see the uncut steerer better - This is when it was set up with an Alfine Ćleven Internally Geared Hub, but the steerer tube remains the same:

I want it! Let's PM.

Ryan

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by rcnute View Post
    I want it! Let's PM.

Ryan
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If this doesn't work out, there is an 18 Ogre frameset for sale on the Facebook Surly owners page.

Tires
    SOLD!

I will update you as the old Oh'Grrr gets stripped of its major organs for shipment. Such a sad day, disabling a perfect chainline like that and putting it on a shelf to be forgotten. Stripping those hubs of their rotors, exposing their mounting holes to the elements. Dismembering the ole' girl only makes me want to find another 29er frame/fork to hang these components. I think a Fargo or Vayagra would fit that role well, probably with some gears added in. But I just told myself I didn't need 3 bikes.

I just took the Ogre out for a quick final ride around the block. It's dialed. No floppy rattling of anything, silent, except for the loud freewheel ratchets. Instant torque from the pedals. It just feels "tall" to me, and all, "dun da dun da dun nuh" (Wizard of Oz witch riding music), but maybe that's just the way I had it set up, or how black it is. It's more comfortable than the Troll though, rides more like a Cadillac, a big twin, or a land yacht. It must be those semi-large tires.
    Last edited by Gritter; 04-13-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Tires
    SHIPPED!

A wanted posting coming to fruition within days is neat. I hope you'll post up some build pics, so I can see its evolution from IGH, to SS, to whatever you're doing.

It didn't take much effort to dismantle everything from the frame. Not messing with gears made it go very quickly. Congratulations on your new(ish) Ogre, may it serve you well for a long time.

mtbr member
    Thanks to Gritter (great seller!) I am Ogre'd! Just got the Alfine wheels on, getting closer...

Ryan

Tires
    Sweet. Looking forward to seeing your build come together.

mtbr member
    Here it is!

RyanMedium Ogre wanted-img_20160520_201436_029%5B1%5D.jpgMedium Ogre wanted-img_20160520_201451_709%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What tires and rims do you have on there?

Tires
    Sweet. Those brake cables are long, huh? I see you went with a 160mm front rotor. What are those blue anodized things on the cantilever brake bosses? Just covers?

So is that an 8sp Alfine, or 11? Glad you have that cable routed along the chainstay. Looks clean and legit. How wide are those DT-Swiss rims? That steerer tube long enough for ya? Do you love it? What headset did you go with?

What handlebar is that, and what is that thing mounted under the stem on the fork's steerer tube? A GPS mount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    What tires and rims do you have on there?
    DT Swiss XR 331 and 2.0 Big Apples.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Sweet. Those brake cables are long, huh? I see you went with a 160mm front rotor. What are those blue anodized things on the cantilever brake bosses? Just covers?

So is that an 8sp Alfine, or 11? Glad you have that cable routed along the chainstay. Looks clean and legit. How wide are those DT-Swiss rims? That steerer tube long enough for ya? Do you love it? What headset did you go with?

What handlebar is that, and what is that thing mounted under the stem on the fork's steerer tube? A GPS mount?
    Yeah, got the wheels (Alfine 8; rims are I think 25mm or so) secondhand with rotors so that's what I went with. Just covers over the canti bosses. Got a Cane Creek 40, had a Clarence bar and put on the Bobike kid seat mount.

I haven't decided yet if I will hang onto it or not. On the one hand it rolls along real nice, but the wheels feel pretty big and not very agile.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Decided to move this one along if anyone's interested.

Surly Ogre 18" Alfine - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Ryan