Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Long Haul Truckers...

How do you like the LHT's and what do you use it for? What would you improve/upgrade?
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    you can find this info in the review section

Lighten up.
    Quick answer: Do some digging and you'll see the near cult status of the LHT. Have someone properly fit one to you and you'll see why so many love 'em.

I'm 5'8" and a 50cm LHT fits me like a glove. Could ride a 52, also. Mine's new this year, but I've used it in a duathlon, multiple long distance rides, sprint training, and general errand running (when I'm not using the Goat).

I had the means and time to upgrade several things on mine, but the complete bike, available from Surly, is a really great build that will serve you quite well.

I swapped the drops for Modolo Yuma Traveler bars, among other changes:

Brass Nipples!
    I love my bike. Since this picture, I've added a generator front wheel and headlight plus a frame pump. I still haven't done a tour but I ride it around town a lot.

There's more LHT discussion at google groups: http://groups.google.com/group/SurlyLHT/

Trucker
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love mine. Only had it a few weeks, but I've commuted to work, done some group rides (20+ mph) and some solo rides (not quite as fast!).

I wish I would have purchased it sooner.

I would have thought the 58 would be too big for me, but it is right on. Make sure you go to a shop that can fit you properly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Commuting, daytrips, shopping, fitness rides, fun rides, family rides, kid-trailer pulling, even a little mountain biking (though the low, low bb makes that one a little challenging). Ironically, about the only thing I haven't done is fully loaded multi-day tour. But this thing will last forvever, so plenty of time for that. Oh, I haven't ever raced it either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jct
    mtbr member
    i just scored a 42cm LHT frame in olive green for my wife for $230.

sweet!

short timer
    Jul 2008

where

JCT,
    Where ?!? PM me please if you have to. Thanks !

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sac29
    JCT,
    Where ?!? PM me please if you have to. Thanks !
    ebay! lots of good deals. keep checking.

also, i've seen some really nice deals on LHTs and CCs on craigslist in the bay area.

short timer
    Jul 2008
    thanks !

The Brutally Handsome
    You guys have some nice truckers! I think we should turn this into a long haul picture thread, I searched and we don't have one yet. Everyone, post your LHT!

I finally finished my LHT, here's some of the upgrades I've made:

-Race Face Turbine Crankset
    -XT Front Derailleur
    -Paul's Thumbies
    -Cane Creek V-Brake Levers
    -Avid Single Digit 7 V-Brakes
    -Salsa Brake Disrupters
    -Salsa Stem
    -Chris King Headset
    -Brooks Professional Saddle
    -Crank Brothers Stainless Eggbeaters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-trucker-1.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-trucker-2.jpg  

Lighten up.
    Once you do the Paul Thumbies, it's hard to get excited about the latest Star Trekkish thing called shifters.

The Brutally Handsome
    Thumbies, along with my salsa brake disruptors, have been the most useful upgrades I have done. They really improve the comfort and functionality of riding.

Lighten up.
    Get on it...get out there...

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009

LHT size!

hey mangoman...I visited your Monster Trucker Flickr Album last night and saw a particular thing...all your bikes are 18" but then you choose a 50cm LHT!! why is that? can you please enlighten me...why not a 54cm or may be a 52cm...but a 50!!? isn't that too small?...you should be at least 5' 8" and 31" inseam to have chosen 18" as your main MTB size...

Thanks!!

Martin

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    hey mangoman...I visited your Monster Trucker Flickr Album last night and saw a particular thing...all your bikes are 18" but then you choose a 50cm LHT!! why is that? can you please enlighten me...why not a 54cm or may be a 52cm...but a 50!!? isn't that too small?...you should be at least 5' 8" and 31" inseam to have chosen 18" as your main MTB size...

Thanks!!

Martin

Martin,

I could easily fit a 52cm LHT and had I preferred a little more stretch, that would have been a great choice. However, after a nearly 3 hour fitting by the best road bike shop in town (known for it's fittings), we concluded that a 50cm LHT would be the best overall fit for what I wanted (long slow distance touring with a preference for being more upright).

700+ miles later, no complaints: no knee pain, no discomfort...just a comfortable bicycle that I can ride for hours. Granted, I've tweaked some details: adding the Modolo Yuma Traveler bar, a Brooks B-17 (finally broken in). But I give the most credit to a thorough, detailed fitting.

And I am 5'8".

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    thanks mangoman.. is always good to know this kind of things.. regards... Martin.... (I'm 5' 9" with 32" inseam)
    Last edited by martinsillo; 10-20-2009 at 07:44 AM.

The Brutally Handsome
    here's one to compliment your's mangoman:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-tree-surly.jpg  

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    here's one to compliment your's mangoman:
    Indeed! Beautiful, idyllic shot.

The Brutally Handsome
    Pastoral . . . I hung that swing for my sister's family and snapped a quick picture with my phone when I was done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sizzler - You're using Salsa Brake Disrupters with Avid Single Digit 7 V-Brakes - do you find they pull enough cable to work well with the avid "V"s ? - salsacycles.com just says "Cantilever compatible",

I'm interested because I have 287V / Single Digit 7s on my Cross Check.

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by theindividualist
    Sizzler - You're using Salsa Brake Disrupters with Avid Single Digit 7 V-Brakes - do you find they pull enough cable to work well with the avid "V"s ? - salsacycles.com just says "Cantilever compatible",

I'm interested because I have 287V / Single Digit 7s on my Cross Check.
    The salsa brake disruptors work very well with v brakes, but they do feel different than when used with cantis. When you pull the levers, they are more squishy but because v-brakes are so much better, the levers apply as much or more braking power than when used with the cantis, the difference is just in the feel. In fact, I can now pull the levers about halfway and lock up the wheels, which I could never have done with cantis. All that said, I have never considered them safe to use in an emergency stopping situation. If a car pulls in front of me, I always reach for my aero levers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Home of the Gravedigger
    Here is my trucker.

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by christianxlaura
    Christian, which handlebars and shifters are you using?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast