Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Great news,

Was assembling my mother's new trekking bike and decided to do an experiment with her wheelset:

Schwalbe 29X2.0 Big Bens with fenders and more than enough room.
    I'll assume that Big Apples, Fat Franks and the 29x2.0 Marathon range will be similar sizewise.

Now, dear Surly, why don't you increase the LHT's tire clearance just a bit in order to fit 2.1 knobbies and end up with a true contender to the Specialized AWOL, Salsa Fargo, Trek 920 and Riv Hunqapillar?
    I agree with this. Some people want an expedition tourer that is not based on a mountain bike and the LHT, with a few changes, is perfectly placed to grab some of the market. VO has the Camargue, Co-Motion has the Divide/Pangea, R&E has the Explore/UTB and Rivendell has the Hunqapillar, all non-MTB based expedition touring bikes.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I love that... I wasn't sure how big I could fit on... I'm running tires that run about 40mm (labeled 700x44) and I really wish they where a bit larger when I rode the Katy trail last year near this time
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I agree with this. Some people want an expedition tourer that is not based on a mountain bike and the LHT, with a few changes, is perfectly placed to grab some of the market. VO has the Camargue, Co-Motion has the Divide/Pangea, R&E has the Explore/UTB and Rivendell has the Hunqapillar, all non-MTB based expedition touring bikes.
    In it's present form the 700c LHT already is an extremely capable expedition tourer (way more than the VO Camargue if you consider it's load carrying capabilities).
    The current largest true expedition tires, the Schwalbe Mondial 700x50 and the Continental Travel Contact 700x50 both fit the LHT without fenders and possibly with.

In my view, the advantage of fitting 2.1 tires would be more related to bikepacking and general adventure riding, using mtb tires

Oldie
    I'm currently running a 34mm (labeled 37mm) on my DT and I'm looking to go wider and still keep the fenders. Do you have a over all wide measurement of the tire mounted? I was considering these tires in brown but thought they'd be too wide to fit under the fenders.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    The Big Bens I tried are 47mm wide.

Please, take in consideration that my trucker is a late 2014 model, size 58. That might influence tire clearance a bit (or not)

Oldie
    Those might fit I'll have to get out the calipers....if they don't fit the DT I could use them on my Ogre.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I use the same tires on my Cross Check. I'm pretty sure the Trucker has slightly more clearance. Love them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As always, I'm loving all the pics on this thread. Y'all have some fantastic bikes.

On the tire issues, I was kinda hoping for a little more clearance myself back in the day when I first got my Trucker. But I've come to realize that as versatile as the LHT is, its really at home on the road. Dirt and gravel roads too, for sure. But roads none the less. With the fantastic choices in 40-50mm tires available these days, there's really no reason for more. The LHT is just not that kind of bike. If you want a Fargo, get a Fargo. I should add that, of course, the 26" LHT will take true 2.1" mtb tires. So, I guess, if that's what you're after, there you go.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Is there any way on the stock Disc Trucker to adjust the rear shifter cable tension? I don't have a barrel adjuster or anything and I am getting extremely tired of trying to make my derailleur work. Did my LBS just forget to include something or does Surly really not offer an easy way to adjust cable tension?

Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    But I've come to realize that as versatile as the LHT is, its really at home on the road. Dirt and gravel roads too, for sure. But roads none the less. With the fantastic choices in 40-50mm tires available these days, there's really no reason for more. The LHT is just not that kind of bike. If you want a Fargo, get a Fargo. I should add that, of course, the 26" LHT will take true 2.1" mtb tires. So, I guess, if that's what you're after, there you go.
    100% agree there. LHT/DT aren't meant to compete with the Fargo/Awol. That's what the Ogre and ECR are for. If you want fatter tires, go 26" LHT or fit some fat 650b tires in a Straggler.

Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Is there any way on the stock Disc Trucker to adjust the rear shifter cable tension? I don't have a barrel adjuster or anything and I am getting extremely tired of trying to make my derailleur work. Did my LBS just forget to include something or does Surly really not offer an easy way to adjust cable tension?
    Should be able to tension it at the shifters, DT shifter bosses, and/or the rear derailer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    donalson, I rode the Katy last summer and took my Ogre. I had the stock 2.3's on it and I felt it was a bit overkill. I plan on going again this summer and was going to take my LHT this year but I run 38's on it and I am interested with your comments that you wished for a little bigger tire. I have since converted my Ogre in to my daily commuter and changed the tire over to a more pavement friendly 1.9's. They are a great ride and now I am thinking that they just might be perfect for this years Katy ride. I would hate to get caught out on a rainy spell and have the LHT and flounder about a bit with the wrong tire when I have the right one on Ogre.
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    I love that... I wasn't sure how big I could fit on... I'm running tires that run about 40mm (labeled 700x44) and I really wish they where a bit larger when I rode the Katy trail last year near this time

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    As always, I'm loving all the pics on this thread. Y'all have some fantastic bikes.

On the tire issues, I was kinda hoping for a little more clearance myself back in the day when I first got my Trucker. But I've come to realize that as versatile as the LHT is, its really at home on the road. Dirt and gravel roads too, for sure. But roads none the less. With the fantastic choices in 40-50mm tires available these days, there's really no reason for more. The LHT is just not that kind of bike. If you want a Fargo, get a Fargo. I should add that, of course, the 26" LHT will take true 2.1" mtb tires. So, I guess, if that's what you're after, there you go.
    I have to agree with you bolandjd. I had my trucker on a tour a few summers ago that had some gravel roads and although it did fine, it was harder on the rider (Me!!) and I felt it was beating the bike up a bit. I purchased an Ogre for future gravel road tours and the separation has been great for me. LHT for tours that are pavement, Ogre for gravel and rails to trails tours.

mtbr member
    May I say that if I wanted a Fargo or an AWOL, I would got a Fargo or an AWOL.

The LHT as it is has advantages over thoses models, and that's what matters to me.

The question here, at least for me, is to know if, for a particular ride, the LHT will be able to take the apropriate tires or not.

For what it is, a tourer/expedition bike, I've found that it can take any tire needed for that aplication, from a 28c roadie to the full on 700x50 Mondials. That's the valuable information here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Should be able to tension it at the shifters, DT shifter bosses, and/or the rear derailer.
    Nope, nothing is adjustable. Maybe at the shifters, but its wrapped in bar tape that I really don't want to mess with. I can adjust it at the rear derailleur by completely reattaching the cable to the lever arm, but its really hard to do that precisely. I think I might just buy some new DT shifter bosses to make life easier in the future.

mtbr member
    Nope, nothing is adjustable. Maybe at the shifters, but its wrapped in bar tape that I really don't want to mess with. I can adjust it at the rear derailleur by completely reattaching the cable to the lever arm, but its really hard to do that precisely. I think I might just buy some new DT shifter bosses to make life easier in the future.

I would typically expect a barrel adjuster as shown in this photo at the downtube cable stops. Where you can adjust cable tension for bar end shifters.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I would typically expect a barrel adjuster as shown in this photo at the downtube cable stops. Where you can adjust cable tension for bar end shifters.
    My DT cable stops look similar but don't seem to be threaded and I can't move the plastic part at all. Maybe its just stuck? I messed around with it a lot last night, since it seemed like the logical place to adjust tension, but wasn't able to do anything useful.

mtbr member
    My DT cable stops look similar but don't seem to be threaded and I can't move the plastic part at all. Maybe its just stuck? I messed around with it a lot last night, since it seemed like the logical place to adjust tension, but wasn't able to do anything useful.
    If they aren't new they could be corroded. Maybe a bit of penetrating lube would free them up?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    If they aren't new they could be corroded. Maybe a bit of penetrating lube would free them up?
    I'll give that a shot tonight. How much are they supposed to be able to rotate? Half a turn? A few turns?

mtbr member
    I'll give that a shot tonight. How much are they supposed to be able to rotate? Half a turn? A few turns?
    Multiple turns. They should function like any other barrel adjuster.

One other issue is if they are all the way at one end of their adjustment range and you need to go further in that direction they won't help. If that's the case you need to reset them and then reinstall the cable at the dérailleur.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Multiple turns. They should function like any other barrel adjuster.

One other issue is if they are all the way at one end of their adjustment range and you need to go further in that direction they won't help. If that's the case you need to reset them and then reinstall the cable at the dérailleur.
    Yeah, I've done it before with other bikes and haven't had a problem. Maybe they're just too caked in mud and gunk and I mistook them for non-adjustable. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yep cool stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Start by removing all tension from the cable by shiftinf into your smallest cog.

Next unbolt the der cable fixing bolt and pull the cable nice and taught and re fasten the fixing bolt tight enough so it doesn't slip, but not so tight that it crushes the cable. Pay attention to the grooves in der cable arm where the cable is bolted down and make sure the cable sits in those grooves.

Now try shifting to the next gear. If the chain hesitates to move up to the next gear, the cable is too loose. If it tried to overshift, it is too tight.

*If you need to adjust the cable tension, shift back onto the smallest cog and then try to turn the barrel adjuster. It often helps to pull the plastic barrel away from the boss while turning, and sometime I'll even release more cable tension by pulling on the shift cable or manipulating the RD with my hand. I always make it a point to lube these when building or servicing a bike. Its a lot easier to turn these when there isn't cable tension pushing them into the bosses.*

Try to shift again and see if that works. If it shifts correctly try the next gear and repeat as needed.

If you are under-shifting on some gears and over-shifting on other I would check to make sure the derailer hanger is straight.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anyone try Schwalbe Smart Sam 26 x 2.25 in a Disc Trucker? Have a pretty good deal on them. Hoping they'll fit.

mtbr member
    Just an update on my daily vehicle

Long Haul Truckers...-img_20150207_105146877.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just an update on my daily vehicle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150207_105146877.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	985305
    You might have already mentioned it but what tires are you running in this photo? They are just about perfectly proportioned for the frame and look very comfortable.

mtbr member
    They'r Continental Speed Rides, 700x42 (true 39mm).
    They are light (410g), supple, cheap and come with a light puncture protection. They also roll really fast on pavement and behave much better than one would expect offroad.

On the down side, for such a supple tire they don't change a lot in behavior with different tire pressures. Even running 37F/45R on trails and cobblestone they are not as comfortable as their size and suppleness would suggest

mtbr member
    Did my first true mtb ride with the Speed Rides today. Went for a 20 mile ride, lots of climbing and rocky single track. I have a new set of 700x47 Smart Sams, but took the risk and went with the Contis. Pressure was at 35F/44R. Once again, not as smooth as their size an suppleness would suggest, but nonetheless, it's interesting as 700x40 tires tend to behave offroad pretty much as 26x2.0 tires (except in fine sand). Explains how 29er tires are so smooth over the equivalent 26" width

mtbr member
    Did my first true mtb ride with the Speed Rides today. Went for a 20 mile ride, lots of climbing and rocky single track. I have a new set of 700x47 Smart Sams, but took the risk and went with the Contis. Pressure was at 35F/44R. Once again, not as smooth as their size an suppleness would suggest, but nonetheless, it's interesting as 700x40 tires tend to behave offroad pretty much as 26x2.0 tires (except in fine sand). Explains how 29er tires are so smooth over the equivalent 26" width
    How did the frame feel? Beat you up at all, or something you'd use the LHT for again?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Feels so good to have some dirt under the tires.

LHT
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    How did the frame feel? Beat you up at all, or something you'd use the LHT for again?
    The LHT goes great offroad, pretty much like a rigid mtb. The only limit are the tires, this if you have a ton of rock or need extra float. Taste and preferences also go in, and I happen to like long and low bikes. The bike is stable, predictable and comfortable.
    BB height never bothered my, even in very technical climbs, but I guess that's a matter of taking attention.

Ended up taking off the fenders. They where showing the beginning of cracks, and I guess its due to a lot of rough cobblestone riding.

Finally installed the 700x47 Smart Sams. Those things are huge, taller than 29x2.0 Race Kings and at least as wide at the knobs. Schwalbe tires are usually undersized, but these are over the anunced size. Measured at 48mm at the knobs, just installed, and I guess they'll grow a bit

mtbr member
    At Saddle Up,
    I am not sure if this has been already answered before but could you advice the size of your LHT?
    Last edited by Bullit_cn; 06-09-2015 at 07:23 PM.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's a 52cm.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I am visualising how does a 52 looks like with a 73cm BB center-to-top of saddle height.
    I used to have a 54 lht with barely little seat post showing. I think the next time I own an LHT it would be a 52 like yours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Coincidentally mine measures 73cm.

mtbr member
    Awesome, Now I can clearly visualize how does a 52 Disk Trucker would look like.
    Thanks Saddle Up

mtbr member
    By the way, did you cut your steer tube or it is the max height that you can be?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can't remember for sure. I have the normal for me 50 mm. of spacers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Disc Trucker rolling on Velocity Blunt 35's with Clement MSO x'plor 700x40s. My pavement and gravel/dirt road bike packing setup (not shown are a Revelate Viscacha seat bag and Revelate handlebar harness).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Headed home

Commuting home, I always appreciate the flexibility to stop off and pick up some, um, supplies. Here in Vermont, I pass two breweries on my commute. Three if I take the scenic route. The LHT and I hit almost every brewery in the state last summer. It has never let me down. Long Haul Truckers...-image.jpg

mtbr member
    SpicyMac, that's a really nice Trucker

Did a 25mile offroad ride today. Mostly single and double track, lots of loose rock, 2500ft of climbing.

Long Haul Truckers...-img_20150516_125256685.jpg

Long Haul Truckers...-img_20150516_125310248.jpg

The long chainstays make climbing standing hard on traction. You have to sit and spin. That way you can pull really low gears without slip and front wheel lift. Downhill the bike is a blast

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    SpicyMac, that's a really nice Trucker

Did a 25mile offroad ride today. Mostly single and double track, lots of loose rock, 2500ft of climbing.

Name:	IMG_20150516_125256685.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	988782

Name:	IMG_20150516_125310248.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	988784

The long chainstays make climbing standing hard on traction. You have to sit and spin. That way you can pull really low gears without slip and front wheel lift. Downhill the bike is a blast
    Ze_Zaskar, that's an awesome bike! What tires are you running and what rear rack is that?

mtbr member
    Tires are 700x45 Smart Sams

The rack is a Tubus Cargo which I use daily for commuting

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Got a 3 week tour in Sweden/Norway coming up soon, so I took the Trucker out for an overnight run. It's a nice ride with the front load too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I didn't go through the entire thread but there are a lot of nice bikes pictured.
    This is my trucker rode mainly on bike path carries my 320 lbs plus every thing I need for an all day ride . If I could only have one bike this is my choice.
    54 cm 26x1.5 tires 2 x 10 gears mostly shimano deore 2008 frame but wasn't built until 2012

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

new bars

The north road bars were the wrong choice for this bike both for my son who wants flatbars (northroads swept too far back) and for me who will still be using it for cargo on weekends and other times (northroads wrong choice on this bike for any use for me, puts me bolt upright), so I put nitto nordeast bars on. So far seems great.

Also took the front rack off, too much to send him off to high school in the fall with. Will probably swap out the brooks for something else too. Son would prefer plain platform pedals but I'm going to be using it enough that I probably will leave these ones on (shimano a530s)

Long Haul Truckers...-lhtnordeast.jpgLong Haul Truckers...-wmlht2.jpg

Taking it to the farmers market today for 20# of apples.

With the new bars I had to shorten the brake cables/housing but not the shifter cables/housing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Spicy Mac--
    Now that I've seen your DT I'm glad you decided to keep that instead of switching to the Ogre frame.
    Also great call on adding the 1X1 to your lineup. Possibly the smartest person on MTBR?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    The north road bars were the wrong choice for this bike both for my son who wants flatbars (northroads swept too far back) and for me who will still be using it for cargo on weekends and other times (northroads wrong choice on this bike for any use for me, puts me bolt upright), so I put nitto nordeast bars on. So far seems great.

Also took the front rack off, too much to send him off to high school in the fall with. Will probably swap out the brooks for something else too. Son would prefer plain platform pedals but I'm going to be using it enough that I probably will leave these ones on (shimano a530s)

Name:	lhtnordeast.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	990817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wmlht2.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	990818

Taking it to the farmers market today for 20# of apples.

With the new bars I had to shorten the brake cables/housing but not the shifter cables/housing.
    I may have a new favorite LHT photo. I love seeing a well used bike built with everyday functionality in mind. Hard to beat!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Spicy Mac--
    Now that I've seen your DT I'm glad you decided to keep that instead of switching to the Ogre frame.
    Also great call on adding the 1X1 to your lineup. Possibly the smartest person on MTBR?
    I don't know about that last part, but I'm happy as heck with my decision to keep the DT.

It's gonna be fun building up the 1x1!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I may have a new favorite LHT photo. I love seeing a well used bike built with everyday functionality in mind. Hard to beat!
    Thanks! It's been a blast over the 8 yrs of riding and rearranging it to get it to do what has needed to be done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It's time to revamp the ol trucker as it hasn't seen much action lately.

Has anyone added disc tabs to their old original LHT? I got mine before the DT existed and am thinking about getting a local builder to add tabs. Anyone have pics?
    Thanks!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast