Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks everyone. Meat Foot I have it set up with 26" wheels at the moment all though I have used 650b wheels on it. Once the choice of 650b x 1.75-1.9" tires increases I'll do the conversion again. Fenders are cheap Axioms. The Troll and the LHT are 2 bikes that I can't imagine being without.

mtbr member

Getting ready to make changes.

I love my LHT and am pretty happy with it as is but can't help but want to make some changes after using this set-up for the past two years. Currently it has platform pedals, 48cm wide Nitto Noodles and Schwalbe Marathon tires (700x38). It also sports a Pletscher twin legged kickstand. It's a great bike. Perfect for rambling and, obviously, for camping and touring. Still, I think it's time to make some changes. I'm gonna cut the steerer tube by 2cm and lower the bars 2 cm. I'm also going to swap out the 48cm bars for some 46cm Noodles. I'm also going to move to DT shifters I think and nix the kickstand and rack. Oh, and I'll likely go back to SPDs for a spell. As for the tires, I'll probably put on the Jack Brown Greens I have laying around. Should be interesting to see how the bike rides. I think it'll be ideal for more sprightly rambles.

Here's my LHT and some images from yesterday's ramble out to the Columbia River Gorge. It was a cold and foggy day. I rode a new section of the Old Columbia Hwy bike path that was recently completed. It's great and now means that when riding from Portland and across the Bridge of the Gods you don't have to ride on the Hwy shoulder. This is also the route to take if heading into Gifford Pinchot NF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-photo-4.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-lhtfalls.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-photo-1.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-photo-2.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-photo-3.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Here's my LHT and some images from yesterday's ramble out to the Columbia River Gorge. It was a cold and foggy day. I rode a new section of the Old Columbia Hwy bike path that was recently completed. It's great and now means that when riding from Portland and across the Bridge of the Gods you don't have to ride on the Hwy shoulder. This is also the route to take if heading into Gifford Pinchot NF.
    Good on you for getting out into the chill and perpetual gloom of the Gorge this time of year!

Did you see many other cyclists out and about?

Question: what are you looking to gain from a switch to slightly narrower bars?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaly66 View Post
    Good on you for getting out into the chill and perpetual gloom of the Gorge this time of year!

Did you see many other cyclists out and about?

Question: what are you looking to gain from a switch to slightly narrower bars?
    While I prefer the Gorge when it's sunny, it's not so bad on a day like this. It didn't rain and the roads were fairly quiet for a sunday. I saw only two other cyclist.

I'll likely put the 48cm on my Rivendell once I'm sure I'll like the 46s on the LHT. I also have a set of Cowbells hanging around.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member

Changes.

Made some changes to the LHT. Removed the kickstand and rack. Put on a narrower bar, 48 to 46cm wide, cut the steerer tube a tad and lowered the bar, swapped the tires from 38mm Marathons to 35mm Marathon Supremes and swapped the pedals from VP platforms to SPDs. Hoping to head out for a mixed terrain ramble this afternoon. I'll be curious to see how it rides, it's been quite some time since I rode it set-up even remotely like this.

Why the changes? 2012 was a big year for me cycling which included lots of randonneuring, long solo rides, some camping and culminated in completing a long-time ambition of doing the Cascade 1200k. I tapered back big time in 2013 due to being a bit burnt but also because my wife was pregnant. Our daughter was born in aug and my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer a few days later. She passed this month. While I got in some nice rambles during this time, things are settling down a bit and I'm feeling a bit more ambitious, wanting to push the pace with my riding. I have other, "nicer" bikes but I love my LHT. It's versatile, capable, and dependable. So I'll pick-up the pace initially with the LHT but will likely make changes to my CC in a few months from SS commuter to geared drop bar bike. Most of all, I'm just looking forward to less thinking about bikes and more riding in 2014.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Made some changes to the LHT. Removed the kickstand and rack. Put on a narrower bar, 48 to 46cm wide, cut the steerer tube a tad and lowered the bar, swapped the tires from 38mm Marathons to 35mm Marathon Supremes and swapped the pedals from VP platforms to SPDs. Hoping to head out for a mixed terrain ramble this afternoon. I'll be curious to see how it rides, it's been quite some time since I rode it set-up even remotely like this.

Why the changes? 2012 was a big year for me cycling which included lots of randonneuring, long solo rides, some camping and culminated in completing a long-time ambition of doing the Cascade 1200k. I tapered back big time in 2013 due to being a bit burnt but also because my wife was pregnant. Our daughter was born in aug and my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer a few days later. She passed this month. While I got in some nice rambles during this time, things are settling down a bit and I'm feeling a bit more ambitious, wanting to push the pace with my riding. I have other, "nicer" bikes but I love my LHT. It's versatile, capable, and dependable. So I'll pick-up the pace initially with the LHT but will likely make changes to my CC in a few months from SS commuter to geared drop bar bike. Most of all, I'm just looking forward to less thinking about bikes and more riding in 2014.
    Sorry to hear about your mother, but congrats on your new baby. I love your idea of just riding. I've been reading a lot of Grant Peterson's stuff and have implemented some of the ideas in my riding. Best wishes in 2014.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Sorry to hear about your mother, but congrats on your new baby. I love your idea of just riding. I've been reading a lot of Grant Peterson's stuff and have implemented some of the ideas in my riding. Best wishes in 2014.
    Hey, thanks for the condolences. 2013 was definitely bittersweet. I'm confident that 2014 will be good with lots of new experiences.

Yesterday the ride on the LHT was great. It definitely feels different than the previous set-up. I got out for about 40 miles with lots of climbing, some dirt and a pit stop for V8 and a yam. This was my first ride in bibs and SPDs in like 6 months. It felt good. As fun as my LHT was, I think it'll be headed for commuter duties and the CC will get some drops and gears for the more sprightly rides. I got the derailers, shifters and bars laying around.

For the past couple of years that I've lived here in Portland I've been without a car. Now I have one so I'm looking forward to day trips into the Gifford Pinchot and Mt Hood NF. I've done a fair amount of riding out there but usually while on touring, camping or hellaciously long day rides. It'll be nice to be able to motor out there and avoid all the urban junk miles on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As fun as my LHT was, I think it'll be headed for commuter duties and the CC will get some drops and gears for the more sprightly rides. I got the derailers, shifters and bars laying around.
    LOL! Reading through your post above, I thought you'd come around to that realization in short order. I think you'll find the CC more to your satifaction for unloaded riding.

Let me echo the condolences on the loss of your mother and your rough year in general. Hoping you have a better 2014.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any of you use Velo Orange front racks?

VO Randonneur Front Rack - Racks - Racks & Decaleurs - Accessories

Looking to put one on a Disc Trucker. I'm assuming no issues, but I'm not familiar with racks in general.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have one on my CC. Really nice looking racks and perfect for a light load and mounting a light. Mine is the type that mounts on the cantilever posts. For the one you're looking at, you might need p-clamps to mount it, unless the mount lines up with the rack braze-on's on the fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. If it came down to it, I don't mind using P-clamps, but I would rather find one that fits on the stock rack mount. I saw Nitto's, but they were almost twice as much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The fork braze ons are designed for low rider racks and I think are too low to use for the rando-style front racks. Could be wrong about that. But the p-clamps are cheap, so it shouldn't be too bad to order the clamps with the rack and if you don't need 'em, no biggie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    The fork braze ons are designed for low rider racks and I think are too low to use for the rando-style front racks. Could be wrong about that. But the p-clamps are cheap, so it shouldn't be too bad to order the clamps with the rack and if you don't need 'em, no biggie.
    From the VO page on that rack: "This rack does not mount to low-rider bosses or onto canti-brake bikes. It requires eyelets on the fork blades or p-clamps. If you are having a frame built, please tell your builder that the eyelets should be about 3.75" below the bottom of the fork crown (but it's best to give the builder the rack beforehand)."

You should be able to measure approximately where on your fork the struts will come to and make a decision from there. I use the Nitto version that connects to the canti posts on my CC, where it supports a rando-style front bag. I'm really happy with it.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Any of you use Velo Orange front racks?
    VO Randonneur Front Rack - Racks - Racks & Decaleurs - Accessories

Looking to put one on a Disc Trucker. I'm assuming no issues, but I'm not familiar with racks in general.
    That rack won't work on your DT without P-clamps. I would save your money and get the Nitto rack. I have one of the Nitto Mark's racks that I've had for years and it's great. Very versatile and can be mounted front or rear. You could mount it on your DT without P-clams because the struts should be long enough to reach your mid fork braze-ons. But remember too, it will impact handling of the bike a bit having a front rack and weight up high. Nothing you probably can't handle, but just FYI.

gimme friction
    Good looking trucker. I've been going the opposite direction: 2-legged kickstand back on, clipless pedals gone in favor of flats with mini toe clips, Compass (Panaracer) tires replacing the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. Mr. Peterson has had more than a little influence on my riding philosophy as of late. Most of it good.

The LHT is the ultimate country bike, and the only bike I want to ride any more. Grocery store, commute, all day epic, touring, dirt...it does it all with aplomb. My favorite riding is mixed terrain. The only nit to pick with the LHT is the low bb height leading to more-than-occasional pedal strikes on narrow-gauge trails.

Recent pic with old tires.

Long Haul Truckers...-img_1742.jpg

'Getting gas' on tour.

Long Haul Truckers...-img_1739.jpg
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That rack won't work on your DT without P-clamps. I would save your money and get the Nitto rack. I have one of the Nitto Mark's racks that I've had for years and it's great. Very versatile and can be mounted front or rear. You could mount it on your DT without P-clams because the struts should be long enough to reach your mid fork braze-ons. But remember too, it will impact handling of the bike a bit having a front rack and weight up high. Nothing you probably can't handle, but just FYI.
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll spring for the Nitto rack.

Quercus - Nice LHT! I've been taken by (some of) GP's philosophy lately as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Which kickstand are you guys using? I'm thinking of picking up a Pletcher 2 legger. I'm curious how you all have it mounted. What did you use to protect the frame? On rivbike.com, it comes with those plastic inserts that might be handy. Not expensive, but not cheap at $50. Curious what the consensus is.

Too bad they didn't weld up a plate like on the Big Dummy (although their reasoning seems valid).

Edit: Just placed an order for one. Hope it will work out.
    Last edited by phsycle; 02-20-2014 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member

Pletscher

Which kickstand are you guys using? I'm thinking of picking up a Pletcher 2 legger. I'm curious how you all have it mounted. What did you use to protect the frame? On rivbike.com, it comes with those plastic inserts that might be handy. Not expensive, but not cheap at $50. Curious what the consensus is.

Too bad they didn't weld up a plate like on the Big Dummy (although their reasoning seems valid).

Edit: Just placed an order for one. Hope it will work out.
    I used a Pletscher twin legger purchased through RBW and it worked great on my LHT. Be sure to utilize the kickstand sandwich. I put cloth bar tape around the stays before mounting it. You'll need to rim the legs. I really liked mine and will likely put it back on my LHT at some point. And yeah, they really should add a kickstand plate to the LHT and DT.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks, dfltroll. I ordered mine through RBW as well. I've got some hockey tape that I'll use on the stays, which will hopefully stave off scratches.

Did you use any Loctite on the bolt? I don't think I'll use Loctite just yet. I have some Oatey's joint compound that I used to use on my Niner's EBB (acts like plumber's teflon tape), which should help in keeping that in there.

mtbr member
    I lined the mounting surfaces with some sticky backed bar tape and a little blue Loctite on the bolt. After 3000 miles it hasn't moved at all.
    Long Haul Truckers...-1797339_725899497462270_1919796033_n.jpg
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Something so right about that LHT.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Great looking bikes from all. I have questions from anybody using ergon grips. I have albatross bars on my Trucker and have worn out the Rivendale cork grips I have had. (they cracked and split). I was going to use ergon grips as the replacement but wondered about my bar end shifters. will they work together??

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    got everything loaded up outside of food, took her for a quick ride, amazingly smooth and steady with a load... going to get her on a decent ride tomorrow and make sure I'm set for my tour next week on the Katy Trail up in MO...

- Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Looking good! I'm jealous, have a safe trip.

Sent from my SCH-I930 using Tapatalk
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast