Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice bike! Looks like you got your frame issues sorted out.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Nice bike! Looks like you got your frame issues sorted out.
    thanks, I like it... I thought i'd posted "I finished" pics of it in here but apparently not doh... I've done a few hundred miles on it so far... still love the titec/jones bar for the road and the dual controls are a perfect complement to them... I can shift and brake from most hand positions, the wide bontrager rims push the 32c tire out to something around 36mm wide or so, my only critique with the rims is that because they are tubless compatible the way they hook the bead makes it VERY difficult to both remove and mount a tire, it's difficult to get the bead broken and once it's broken it takes some high pressure to get the bead to pop into the seat again... was the same thing with real 29er tires but because they where larger they where a bit easier to mount/remove I suppose

sadly she's sidelined for another few days... I noticed a bit of drag on the rear wheel so went to pull the hub apart and rebuild and found that one of the cones had some big/bad pitting and no local shops had the part in stock... new cone and bearings should be in tommarow... waiting on some $$$ to pick up some fenders and trying to decide what racks to get/use... have a tour across the Katy trail up in MO planned in May with a friend
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Can you post a closeup of your cockpit with the Jones bars? I'd be interested to see how the setup looks
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Can you post a closeup of your cockpit with the Jones bars? I'd be interested to see how the setup looks
    I think this is about the best I have with it on this bike
    Long Haul Truckers...-2013-07-31-19.58.11.jpg

here the same setup is on my 1x1 before I sold it for the trucker frameset
    Long Haul Truckers...-img_4528.jpg
    Long Haul Truckers...-imag0287.jpg

also it's fun to note... I had XT dual controls mounted when I first built the trucker... but the shape of the cover was a bit more square so it wasn't as comfortable when I would put my hands covering them... so I went back to the deore... still have the xt in case the deores die (that and they aren't worth selling)... suppose it helps the black also matches the bike build more then the silver XT lol

also I've seince wrapped the flat section and the nook of the bar up to the start of the ergon grips with some old cork road bar wrap... I'll go with new wrap here at some point but I had the stuff from when I took it off a road bike and wanted to see if it helped... while not much it is a nice bit of extra cushion
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You guys like the jones on the lht? I got one on my pugs and love it. Been thinking of changing my drops for a while. Drops on my lht that is... Kinda pricey experiment. Got an 08 with cantis.... Any recs on some levers?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 mission cap View Post
    You guys like the jones on the lht? I got one on my pugs and love it. Been thinking of changing my drops for a while. Drops on my lht that is... Kinda pricey experiment. Got an 08 with cantis.... Any recs on some levers?
    they feel like a great bar for a touring type bike... lots of backwards (upright seating) and forward (more aero) hand positions... I've been riding my drop bar road bike more lately... I don't see me moving to drops on the trucker any time soon (I dig the titec bars and the cost of other shifting options AND levers AND mechanical discs all add up lol)

for levers... any non-V will work... but if you are using an old jones or the titec version you need to figure out your shifting options as they are either quirky or akward... I've gone with the shimano dual control stuff that didn't last long... they are about perfect for the titec H bars and the sort of riding i've done so far.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thinking of getting some Paul thumbies for my shimano shifters.

donalson or anyone else - how is the ride on the disc/LHT without a load? I was thinking of getting one for my better half, but wasn't sure on the ride quality. Too harsh?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I like it myself... but i'm also a 300# load by myself... so not exactly a good person to be asking these things... it's a slow handling bike... easy to ride for miles with no hands...

also make no mistake about it... it's a heavy bike
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    donalson or anyone else - how is the ride on the disc/LHT without a load? I was thinking of getting one for my better half, but wasn't sure on the ride quality. Too harsh?
    I'm 175lbs out of the shower and I find the unloaded LHT is not harsh, but it's not a fast or fun bike to ride unloaded. Unless your goal is to cruise real slow and enjoy the sunshine I'd pick a different bike to ride unloaded.

I wouldn't put my 120lbs GF on one unless she was planning a lot of fully loaded touring.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Thanks for the responses. Primary use will be casual family rides and occasional grocery runs. I really like the more upright riding position compared to a cross check. The geometry appeals to me as well, since she does not race. I like the longer wheelbase for the stability with or without a load. And really "cruise slow and enjoy the sunshine" describes her riding, so maybe this will work out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi! Does anybody know is there any difference between 2013 and 2014 frameset of Disc Trucker (except the color)? They are both available online at the same price. Do they have absolutely identical geometry, same cogs and mounts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolyanich View Post
    Hi! Does anybody know is there any difference between 2013 and 2014 frameset of Disc Trucker (except the color)? They are both available online at the same price. Do they have absolutely identical geometry, same cogs and mounts?
    just google the 2013 Surly catelog and compare. I really doubt there's much difference. Its probably best to just pick the color you like best and go with it.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Long Haul Truckers...

Here's my Trucker that's under a constant state of construction and improvement. 1x9 drivetrain, BB7 brakes with Shimano rotors (key to Avid squeal elimination!) I just threw on the Bontrager 2.0 tires (took off the 1.25 and I'm glad I did, they were hell to get off!)....I like the ride of the bigger tires and have some Conti's picked out but wanted to experiment first. A Brooks will be added, Ortliebs hung on the rack and Ergons added in the future. I really have been enjoying this bike!

ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SEVEN3 View Post
    Here's my Trucker that's under a constant state of construction and improvement. 1x9 drivetrain, BB7 brakes with Shimano rotors (key to Avid squeal elimination!) I just threw on the Bontrager 2.0 tires (took off the 1.25 and I'm glad I did, they were hell to get off!)....I like the ride of the bigger tires and have some Conti's picked out but wanted to experiment first. A Brooks will be added, Ortliebs hung on the rack and Ergons added in the future. I really have been enjoying this bike!
    smart looking bike... what size frame?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Long Haul Truckers...

Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    smart looking bike... what size frame?
    Thanks! It's a 52cm with a uncut steerer tube. I may do a second stem to mount light(s) on to get rid of some spacers.
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    I'm starting to see a trend of Long Haul Truckers with MTB bars I'm looking to add dual controls for more drivetrain adjustability on the go. But I still like the simple look and function of downtube shifters.
    Long Haul Truckers...-1455955_675186685866885_1143271431_n.jpg
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zuk88 View Post
    I'm starting to see a trend of Long Haul Truckers with MTB bars I'm looking to add dual controls for more drivetrain adjustability on the go. But I still like the simple look and function of downtube shifters.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1455955_675186685866885_1143271431_n.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	852539

and I still blame you for mine ... a trucker was WAY out in the back of my mind before I saw yours...

the H bars and dual controls are a perfect match for road/gravel grinding type riding, controls at your fingertips at all but the most forward position... then again you're on a micro sized frame so it's not like reaching for DT shifters is a 3 foot reach like it is on my 62cm ;-)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I agree Truckers look good with MTB bars. I'm looking to build up a Disc Trucker for the wife with something like Albatross bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The 'Green' LHT.
    LHT Being Green

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ready for snow and winter.
    LHT Built For Hauling

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That double stem officially trumps the double rainbows. Nice.

mtbr member
    I commented on your Flickr, but I'll give love here too Saddle Up.

I'm usually unimpressed by most LHT (no offense guys, just personal preference!), but yours is a goddamn beast. It looks disguised as a vintage MTB in ultimate commuter mode, which is rad.

mtbr member

Damn Saddle Up!

Dude, I love my LHT (see below) but continue to covet yours. I'd love to build up a 26" 60cm Disc Trucker with an Open Bar for commuting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-img_2567.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Ready for snow and winter.
    650b config? What fenders are you running? I agree with others, that LHT is precious, keeps me on the fence about my decision on the Troll I have yet to order because of the whole 2013 - 2014 change over. Blast!
    Tuff Schist

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast