Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Did I catch a niner+?
    I would be shocked if a 26x2.5 tire would fit inside the front or rear of a DT or LHT. I thought max was about 2.1. I think this would be more for a Troll or a 1x1. I hope for the 29x2.5 for my Ogre.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Compass 26x2.3s fit so maybe the ETs will fit if they run small. One can dream.

I'll definately get the 29er version for my Krampus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    They aren't going to fit my Trucker, that's for sure. I kind of wish they would have made this a 26+ tire like a 2.75" since it's going to need a frame like the Troll/1x1 to fit them. If they run true to size maybe 2.5" is plenty big. Might have to get a set of these and mate them with some Dually rims.

I'm still holding out hope that 26+ gains some traction. The ET is a step in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Changed up the cockpit components on the trucker. Went from the Open bar with a 90mm 17* stem to a Salsa Bend 2 with a 100mm 20* stem. Feels a little more aggressive but still really comfortable.

Surly LHT
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

Surly LHT

Surly LHT

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I love 80's MTB's so it stands to reason that I would also love 26" LHT's with fat tires!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Changed up the cockpit components on the trucker. Went from the Open bar with a 90mm 17* stem to a Salsa Bend 2 with a 100mm 20* stem. Feels a little more aggressive but still really comfortable.

Surly LHT

Surly LHT

Surly LHT
    Every time I see your LHT it makes me happy. I'm always tempted to sell a bike to build one!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I love 80's MTB's so it stands to reason that I would also love 26" LHT's with fat tires!!!
    Me too! One of these days I'll get a custom Waltworks that's a cross between a LHT and a Troll. Drop bar mountain bike geometry with a level top tube and all of the necessary touring braze-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    Every time I see your LHT it makes me happy. I'm always tempted to sell a bike to build one!
    Thanks. We're heading into our fourth winter together.

Surly Long haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Awesome pics! Keep on Trucking, fellas!
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Mind that mine is a size 58 700c LHT, 2015 model (ed coating, etc),
    So I've been digging through this thread enjoying the pics and info for the LHT. Came across this post and wondered if the 2016 models are ED coated? Not a major deciding factor on my next purchase, just curious if it has the coating applied.

And I do know that I can apply treatment myself but would prefer not to, ED coating would be nice.

Not sure why all Surlys don't have this and they only specify certain models. All-city ED coats all of their frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Can't tell you about the 2016 LHT but I did see that Surly still recommends applying frame saver even to the ED coated frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just called my lbs and asked about ordering me up a disc trucker, they don't carry Surly in the store but can order me one, told them I wanted 700c model with disc and asked if there were any models on close out in my size.

I was told there was one in my size, on close out, 700c with disc in...smaug silver?

Tried searching the web for a smaug silver disc trucker and can only find images of the non-disc model.

Does this sound correct? Or maybe he just scanned the screen and overlooked the model. Before I got off of the phone I re-specified that this IS the 700c with disc? He said "yeah".

I'll pay them a visit this afternoon to double check but thought I'd mention it here and get you're thoughts in the meantime.

Thanks

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy21 View Post
    I was told there was one in my size, on close out, 700c with disc in...smaug silver?

Tried searching the web for a smaug silver disc trucker and can only find images of the non-disc model.

Does this sound correct? Or maybe he just scanned the screen and overlooked the model. Before I got off of the phone I re-specified that this IS the 700c with disc? He said "yeah".
    They've only made the Disc Trucker in Green, then Maroon and now Blue. Smog Silver was a Canti brake only model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Okay, thanks!

mtbr member
    Long Haul Truckers...-11931200_988944327834924_1314658654_n.jpgLong Haul Truckers...-12568075_1538187273140256_1058854593_n.jpg

winter trucking is where it's at

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fer83 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11931200_988944327834924_1314658654_n.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	1043212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12568075_1538187273140256_1058854593_n.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	1043213

winter trucking is where it's at

those titec H/jones bars?... how did you mount the bar bag?...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    those titec H/jones bars?... how did you mount the bar bag?...
    They are Jones Bend h-bars, the ortlieb bag fits perfectly, just as they were flat bars

mtbr member
    And it looks like this:

Long Haul Truckers...-_20160117_111718.jpg

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    +1 if I didn't have so many 80's MTBs I would. There's just something simple and pure about the LHT.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

My LHT feels really quick...

...relatively speaking. I've been riding my Troll with 2.1" Ice Spiker Pro tires since November. My commute has been 25 kms a day of 90% ice and 10% pavement. I took a week off of work and came back to the opposite, 10% ice, 90% pavement.

The 1.75" Nevegals feel like slicks in comparison. Remember just a short while ago people *****ed about how slow Kenda Nevegal tires were? Now anything under 3" is unridable.

Surly LHT

Surly LHT

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Trucker Trips

Lot of great Truckers out there.

I've had my 56cm trucker since May 2008. While it's been somewhat neglected this thread has motivated me to revamp it a bit. Thought I'd share a few pics from trips it's been on in years past. They ride so well, so solid and are such capable bikes, I'd never part with my 56cm.
    I owned a 54cm Trucker briefly (pictured last) and had it set up more like an 80's mtb. I've since sold it but really enjoyed the 26" rims, beefy rubber and solid feel. An excellent and truly fun commuter/get around/touring bike.

1) Taiwan Loop Tour 2009
    2) New Zealand South Island Tour (with fishing kit) 2010
    3) Panama/Costa Rica 2012
    4) Chile; Part of southern Patagonia and Lakes 2011 on 54cm LHT (non drive side, oh ya!)

Cheers!
    Adam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-lht-taiwan-2009.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-new-zealand-2010.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-panama-costa-rica-2012.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-lht-54cm-chile-2011.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

To bad it doesn't actually fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post

To bad it doesn't actually fit.
    Oh man! that is awesome!
    Not even close or is there a hope with leaner rubber?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah. . . not even close.
    Those are 27.5x2.8s on 27id rims that I built for the 1x1.
    In that picture they have maybe 4 psi and are smashed in to the 700c frame. Won't even kinda roll.

Thinking about doing 27.5 on a 26" disc trucker. . . but then the biggest I've seen is 2.1 and it looks like tight clearance, so maybe a 2.0 would make it a bit better.

Surly "Disc Trucker" with 650B Tire. by Circles Japan

And then some with a street tread that I think are pretty dope:

*SURLY* disc trucker complete bike by BLUE LUG

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    Yeah. . . not even close.
    Those are 27.5x2.8s on 27id rims that I built for the 1x1.
    In that picture they have maybe 4 psi and are smashed in to the 700c frame. Won't even kinda roll.

Thinking about doing 27.5 on a 26" disc trucker. . . but then the biggest I've seen is 2.1 and it looks like tight clearance, so maybe a 2.0 would make it a bit better.

Surly "Disc Trucker" with 650B Tire. by Circles Japan

And then some with a street tread that I think are pretty dope:

It still looks bad ass. I love the idea of a + sized tourer like a Deadwood.
    The Blue Lug and Circles crew really know how to dress a Surly up. I used a bunch of their pics as inspiration in building up a Straggler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Tongue to Durness

Here's a couple of pics of a ride I did at the end of last month. Sorting a couple of things on the Trucker to see if it would suite a couple of Audax rides coming up this month.
    It was a lovely day here in the north of Scotland so after lunch decided to head slightly west from home towards Tongue and ride across to Durness, have a snack for dinner and ride back, about 124klm all up. A great sunny day, road was reasonably quiet, thankfully as there is lots of single lane stuff, and just a slight breeze when I left. I was a bit late heading out for this one so my usual riding buddy Brian (Velobike) couldn't make it.
    Only problem was everything shut a Durness and snacks running low, this combined with a killer headwind for the last 30klms made for a slow finish up the last few climbs. Trucker performed beautifully as usual, the only problem being the nut behind the handlebar
    Here's some pics.

Jamie

DSCN2521 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2527 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2528 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2546 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2549 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2553 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2555 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN2570 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Beautiful! Thanks for sharing Jamie. How long is the audux ride? I used my LHT for a 300k brevet one year. It worked well. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again for randonneuring.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate that's a truly beautiful place to ride through. The slow finish would just give you more time to soak it all in, why rush.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Surly LHT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post

Surly LHT
    What bars you running? Cowchippers?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just built up two new Trucker frames - one for me and one for my wife. First, mine:

It's a 60cm 26" model
    8 speed XT/Tiagra/Ultegra Bar ends
    Sun Rhyno Lite/XT hubs
    Nitto Noodles
    SKS fenders
    Surly front rack with Wald basket

My favorite part of the bike is the top cap custom painted by my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son:

This one, I built for my wife. It's the smallest model, a 42cm. I originally built it with drop bars and brifters, but she wasn't a fan, so I swapped in the flat bars with bar ends. It was a hit, but it will still need some tweaking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathank View Post
    I just built up two new Trucker frames - one for me and one for my wife. First, mine:

It's a 60cm 26" model
    Sun Rhyno Lite/XT hubs
    Nitto Noodles
    SKS fenders

Love this. I ride a 60cm 700c LHT and have always regretted not getting the 26" model. I've come close a few times to picking up a frame as I have pretty much everything to put one together, except rims, laying around. One of these days. And for what it's worth, those Smog Silver LHTs look great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

It's a 60cm 26" model
    Sun Rhyno Lite/XT hubs
    Nitto Noodles
    SKS fenders

My favorite part of the bike is the top cap custom painted by my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son:

This one, I built for my wife. It's the smallest model, a 42cm. I originally built it with drop bars and brifters, but she wasn't a fan, so I swapped in the flat bars with bar ends. It was a hit, but it will still need some tweaking.

I love seeing photos of flat-bar truckers. Not a ton of those out there.

I clicked on your wife's bike and was linked to your Flickr account and saw that you have a vintage Stumpjumper. How would you compare the rides of the LHT and the Stumpjumper? I've asked this question on several forums but never got any really good answers. A 26" LHT with flat-bars just doesn't seem that different from a late 80's to 90's MTB to me but I may be wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    What bars you running? Cowchippers?
    WTB Mountain/Road bar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hey everyone!
    I plan on building the LHT from the frame up, and before buying a frameset I need to decide on the size. The problem is, there is no LBS for me to try it, so I need to guesstimate. I took some measures, and I believe I fit to the 52 or 54. I am 175cm high, and have a pubic bone height of 82.5cm. I plan to build it with flat bar, so a size up may be okay length-wise, but I'd still like to hear from people who own these sizes and their experience.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Go 54cm especially if you are going flat bar. I'm 173cm with long legs short torso and I'm border line between the 52 and 54cm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Love this. I ride a 60cm 700c LHT and have always regretted not getting the 26" model. I've come close a few times to picking up a frame as I have pretty much everything to put one together, except rims, laying around. One of these days. And for what it's worth, those Smog Silver LHTs look great.
    Thanks! I love it so far. A lot of people seem to be really against 26" wheels on road bikes, but I love it. I had a Troll before, and really liked that too. Also, if you like the Smog Silver, that color was on sale when I ordered mine...

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I love seeing photos of flat-bar truckers. Not a ton of those out there.

I clicked on your wife's bike and was linked to your Flickr account and saw that you have a vintage Stumpjumper. How would you compare the rides of the LHT and the Stumpjumper? I've asked this question on several forums but never got any really good answers. A 26" LHT with flat-bars just doesn't seem that different from a late 80's to 90's MTB to me but I may be wrong.
    I'm afraid I don't really have a good answer for you as to how they compare. They are just set up too different to be able to make any sort of accurate comparison. The only thing I can say definitively is that the Stumpjumper is lighter. Plus, to be honest, I already have more miles on the newly built Trucker than I do on the Stumpjumper.

If it helps, though, I can make a comparison to a different vintage MTB in my stable: my 1988 Schwinn Cimarron. Schwinn Cimarron - Pedal Room
    It has been my commuter for the last few months before I got the Trucker, and is set up sort of similar: fat 26" tires, bar end shifters (although on moustache bars), front rack/basket, and Barley saddlebag. I like the LHT way better. I think the Trucker is a little heavier (I haven't weighed either one), but it rides and handles much better. I have read a lot on here and on Bike Forums about the "dead" ride of the LHT and how some believe a vintage MTB is a nicer ride. My experience with these particular bikes does not support that. The front end of the Cimarron feels "weird." I'm not the greatest at describing the effect, but I think it might be wheel flop? Possibly caused by slack headtube angle? It just seems to not want to turn, and then it does, abruptly and doesn't really want to turn back. I rode it a lot and never got used to it. It felt heavy and slow to accelerate. Now, the LHT is no rocket, nor did I expect it to be, but I feel that I can get it up to speed more easily, and maintain that speed more easily on it. It also seems to float over rough pavement, and I encounter a lot of that on my commute. Lastly, it's a lot more comfortable for me, but there are other things besides the frames effecting that like different bars, different frame size, etc.

mtbr member

Surly's new kickstand adapter.

This is interesting. It seems similar to the Pletscher Kickstand Sandwich that Rivendell sells. Hopefull this will work better. I found that the Pletsher thing came loose pretty easily.

Kickstands for Some, Little American Flags for Others | Blog | Surly Bikes
    Last edited by dfltroll; 11-22-2016 at 06:38 AM. Reason: change hyperlink

This is interesting. It seems similar to the Pletscher Kickstand Sandwich that Rivendell sells. Hopefull this will work better. I found that the Pletsher thing came loose pretty easily.

Nice. "In stock next week".

Ok, will look for them next summer, then.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I would be shocked if a 26x2.5 tire would fit inside the front or rear of a DT or LHT. I thought max was about 2.1. I think this would be more for a Troll or a 1x1. I hope for the 29x2.5 for my Ogre.
    There's just something about the Trucker's standard geometry that I love. I know the Troll or even the Instigator can fit some pretty fat tires. But the Trucker has that horizontal TT and long chain stays like a vintage MTB. If they can't fit Surly needs to revamp the bike into a + size queen.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Thanks! I love it so far. A lot of people seem to be really against 26" wheels on road bikes, but I love it. I had a Troll before, and really liked that too. Also, if you like the Smog Silver, that color was on sale when I ordered mine...

I'm afraid I don't really have a good answer for you as to how they compare. They are just set up too different to be able to make any sort of accurate comparison. The only thing I can say definitively is that the Stumpjumper is lighter. Plus, to be honest, I already have more miles on the newly built Trucker than I do on the Stumpjumper.

If it helps, though, I can make a comparison to a different vintage MTB in my stable: my 1988 Schwinn Cimarron. Schwinn Cimarron - Pedal Room
    It has been my commuter for the last few months before I got the Trucker, and is set up sort of similar: fat 26" tires, bar end shifters (although on moustache bars), front rack/basket, and Barley saddlebag. I like the LHT way better. I think the Trucker is a little heavier (I haven't weighed either one), but it rides and handles much better. I have read a lot on here and on Bike Forums about the "dead" ride of the LHT and how some believe a vintage MTB is a nicer ride. My experience with these particular bikes does not support that. The front end of the Cimarron feels "weird." I'm not the greatest at describing the effect, but I think it might be wheel flop? Possibly caused by slack headtube angle? It just seems to not want to turn, and then it does, abruptly and doesn't really want to turn back. I rode it a lot and never got used to it. It felt heavy and slow to accelerate. Now, the LHT is no rocket, nor did I expect it to be, but I feel that I can get it up to speed more easily, and maintain that speed more easily on it. It also seems to float over rough pavement, and I encounter a lot of that on my commute. Lastly, it's a lot more comfortable for me, but there are other things besides the frames effecting that like different bars, different frame size, etc.
    I have an 84 and 85 Stumpjumper that I ride regularly. But no LHT to compare them to. It's one of the frames I'm seriously thinking about getting. I woud like the disc version. I don't know at this point what is better for me the 26 or 700C version. I'm 5' 9" so either would work size wise.
    Back to Stumpys, I also have a mint 2007 Stumpy reproduction frame. My older bikes are basically vintage and going to stay that way. The 07 OTH is going to get a more modern drivetrain. Spec wise the LHT has it all over the vintage bikes in practicality. You really don't have to own one to see that.

mtbr member

Order mine today , $15 bills. Bike shop said it won't ship until Dec.15. Now to come up with 65 bills for a Pletsher kick stand.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    A recent pic using the , not very often used trailer, last month. Most likely last the trailer will get used now we also have a Big Dummy.

Jamie

DSCN2868 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ordered mine on the 5th and its already at the shop. Haven't picked it up yet, so can't give any opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH8 View Post
    Ordered mine on the 5th and its already at the shop. Haven't picked it up yet, so can't give any opinion.
    I just picked mine up this evening. They gave it to me and said Merry Christmas. YEE Haw!! Now to order a black Pletcher kickstand from Tree Fort Bikes. Looks like they have the best price on those. I like how the instructions say to throw the upper plate of your kickstand as far as you can. LOL
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That's great. You must have a great LBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    A couple of pics from a couple of rides last week. Cold wet and windy, though Sunday started nice
    Will be interested to hear how you all get on with the stands.

DSCN3207 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3251 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3267 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3252 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    There's just something about the Trucker's standard geometry that I love. I know the Troll or even the Instigator can fit some pretty fat tires. But the Trucker has that horizontal TT and long chain stays like a vintage MTB. If they can't fit Surly needs to revamp the bike into a + size queen.
    I agree with this 100%! It's a rare combination in the 26" wheel size. I finally found a less expensive and arguably "cooler" way to get something like a 26" LHT by purchasing a 1984 Trek 830 frameset. The front-end geometry of both bikes is identical, the bottom bracket drop is within 3mm and the Trek has about an inch longer chainstays. The Trek has a shallower seat angle but I don't think that's going to make a huge difference and in fact, it probably makes the Trek's slightly longer ETT about the same as the LHT's.

None of this is surprising because I've read that when Trek went to develop an ATB/MTB, they simply modified their touring geometry for 26" wheels. This thing is completely different from the Stumpjumpers, Alpina's, etc... from that era. In fact, it is quite similar to Rivendell's current touring bike line-up.

The LHT has two major advantages in the modern 1 1/8" threadless steerer and the 135 mm rear spacing. The Trek has lugs, is MUSA, and is a 1st generation ATB/MTB. It's a toss-up for me as to which is preferable. I just know the ride is very smooth!

Long Haul Truckers...-img_0046.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiedyer View Post
    A couple of pics from a couple of rides last week. Cold wet and windy, though Sunday started nice
    Jamie, what frame size is your Trucker? is it 700 or 26?
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Anyone get the new kickstand plates mounted up with a Pletscher kickstand? How is it? Post some pictures if you can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    Jamie, what frame size is your Trucker? is it 700 or 26?
    Hi mate
    Mine is a 46cm running 26'' wheels. It's running 2.1 Marathons.
    Love it

Jamie

mtbr member
    Anyone get the new kickstand plates mounted up with a Pletscher kickstand? How is it? Post some pictures if you can.
    I have the new Surly kickstand plates, and the Pletscher kickstand. I went to install it this evening and almost had it installed. Guess what guys. The bolt bottoms out right before it gets tight, yes that's with the lock washer too. The bolt that comes with the Pletscher kickstand is too long by about 1/4 inch or so. I'm sure Pletscher made the bolt that long so you would use their top plate and the little plastic u shape chain stay protectors. I'm going by ACE Harware in the morning to get a bolt about 1/4-1/2 inch shorter. I'll post picture some time tomorrow or Sunday.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Here's the pictures of the Surly kickstand plates and the Pletscher kickstand. If y'all do this you will need a bolt 1/4 inch shorter.

Last edited by MTB29erCurt; 02-09-2017 at 02:14 PM.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    A few pics of my Trucker:

Long Haul Truckers...-helgi-trucker-yepp.jpeg
    In dad-mode with the Yepp Mini

Long Haul Truckers...-helgi-trucker-shovel.jpeg
    Long Haul Truckers...-helgi-trucker-box.jpeg
    Hauling stuff

Long Haul Truckers...-helgi-trucker-woods-2.jpeg
    Long Haul Truckers...-helgi-trucker-woods.jpeg
    Cruising in the woods

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    A couple of photos from this weekends randonnuer type ride on the Trucker

DSCN3522 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3547 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3556 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3570 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3581 (2) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3537 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3528 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

mtbr member
    As always, great photos Jamie.

mtbr member
    Love my 700c LHT (bought the year before disc truckers came out), but need new tires. Still have the Conti's that it came with...short version of a longer story, the LHT was a reward once I'd lost about 35 pounds on the way to 100lbs down. Started at 383. Currently (6 years later) at 375 and want to get back on the bike, but I want the widest, sturdiest tires I can put on the 700c frame without any problems. Any suggestions would be welcome. Just going to ride my neighborhood streets to start losing weight again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
    Love my 700c LHT (bought the year before disc truckers came out), but need new tires. Still have the Conti's that it came with...short version of a longer story, the LHT was a reward once I'd lost about 35 pounds on the way to 100lbs down. Started at 383. Currently (6 years later) at 375 and want to get back on the bike, but I want the widest, sturdiest tires I can put on the 700c frame without any problems. Any suggestions would be welcome. Just going to ride my neighborhood streets to start losing weight again.
    Get some Schwalbe Marathons. I run 700x38 and they're sturdy and dependable. You won't have any issues. In fact, if you're not running fenders then get some Marathons in 700x50. Rivendell sells them. You'll be st. Also, in case you're not aware already, maybe check out the book Eat Bacon, Don't Jog by Grant Petersen who owns and runs Rivendell. The folks at Rivendell are great and are actually Surly fans.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^ and I'm going to put another vote in for the Marathon and up it to the Marathon Plus. Its a bit thicker. Good stuff. Get back on the bike and have fun!

Reminder that consistency is more important than distance or how hard you go, especially in the beginning.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations. Wonder if somebody has built a comprehensive list of all the 622x__ tires that fit LHT's? I was looking at Schwalbe's site and found several 622-50 size tires that might work. Marathon Plus is not among them, but Marathon HS 420, Marathon Mondial HS 428, and Marathon Deluxe HS 420 all look interesting. There's also Marathon GT, Marathon Almostion HS 453, and Marathon Supreme HS 469, along with Big Apple, Big Apple Plus, and Big Ben. Out of all these, which one best matches the old Marathon Plus?

mtbr member
    You can still get the Marathon Plus, in two versions. The Touring version has a knobby-ish tread.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=69745

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ls.php?id=7617

You should be able to fit the 2.00 version in an LHT as they measure smaller than the stated size. You just might not be able to use fenders. I know Rivendell used to sell the 2.0 version of the basic Marathon which should be fine for you. They're sturdy tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've got some older Marathon Mondials in 2.0" (700x50mm) with planet bike cascadia fenders mounted. Clearance is tight, couple mm's either side but haven't had any frame buzz.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB29erCurt View Post
    I have the new Surly kickstand plates, and the Pletscher kickstand. I went to install it this evening and almost had it installed. Guess what guys. The bolt bottoms out right before it gets tight, yes that's with the lock washer too. The bolt that comes with the Pletscher kickstand is too long by about 1/4 inch or so. I'm sure Pletscher made the bolt that long so you would use their top plate and the little plastic u shape chain stay protectors. I'm going by ACE Harware in the morning to get a bolt about 1/4-1/2 inch shorter. I'll post picture some time tomorrow or Sunday.
    Wondering if you can't do me a solid and give me dimensions on that bracket. What's the width of the short edge vs the longer edge? I like them as a plate option, but for a different bike.

A God Without A Name
    I was really unimpressed by my Stragglers, But I was always impressed by Cross-Checks, And I really like my Karate Monkey.

I'm considering a Disc Trucker as a cargo commuter/ light duty flat bar tourer. I've always felt the Straggler rides a lot stiffer than a Cross Check, which wasn't my biggest issue, and I want something like the Straggler, but with better drop outs. (I can handle Straggler drop outs just fine. I just don't like them)

I could always do a Trek 520 or 920 for a fraction of the cost. And I don't think the bikes handle all that different. But I still lean towards the DT (Longer top tube is better for flat bar, better tire clearance.).

Thoughts?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456