Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    dying hurts.
    look like specialized rib cages.....?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks!, yes Spec Rib Cages, best product Specialized makes. I use then off road on other bikes and have never dropped a bottle. The bottles are Klean Kanteen stainless steel.
    Last edited by Saddle Up; 10-22-2012 at 08:45 AM.

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    best product Specialized makes

tao
    succinct
    Thanks for the reply. I have the Klean Kanteen bottle cage and it throws the bottle when I crash hard.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hey SaddleUp, did you used to run this with the open bar? how did you find it compared to the drops?

i've swapped out my crosscheck frameset to a LHT (c'mon post man!!!) but i'm undecided between the two. Not the open bar specifically but the Ragley Carnegies that i had on my CC

cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like the open bar way more for comfort. The drop bar position is just more efficient. I'm trying to resist turning the LHT in to the Troll so I've kept the drop bars. On the road against the wind I'm happy with the drops, every time I ride the Troll I think about how comfortable the LHT would be with the open bar, and around and around I go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

26" LHT Rim Brake Success

This has got me excited. The 26" LHT is rim brake 650b compatible! Thanks Shimano

650b LHT

CS2
    mtbr member
    I like the open bar way more for comfort. The drop bar position is just more efficient. I'm trying to resist turning the LHT in to the Troll so I've kept the drop bars. On the road against the wind I'm happy with the drops, every time I ride the Troll I think about how comfortable the LHT would be with the open bar, and around and around I go.
    That's the justification we all need to purchase multiple bikes.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

CS2
    mtbr member
    This has got me excited. The 26" LHT is rim brake 650b compatible! Thanks Shimano

650b LHT
    That is nice. Care to share what kind of brakes you used? The build details would be nice too.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sure. The brakes are the new cyclocross CX50's from Shimano, the CX70 works also.

Deore hubs on Velocity Synergy 650b rims
    XT fr and rr derailleurs
    XT cassette and chain
    Deore 26/36/48 crankset
    Dura Ace 9 speed bar ends

Shimano has come through big time with these brakes. I tried many others without success including a couple of versions of vintage Shimano with the larger range of adjustability. I could never get the pad to strike the rim flat.

Front
    650b LHT

Rear
    650b LHT

This opens up a bunch of possibilities for this bike. A blue collar Rivendell is my first thought. I get some rub with the 2.1" Nevegal that is mounted. A less knobby tire or something like a 2" Small Block Eight would fit right in. Like I talked about above I don't need to turn the LHT in to the Troll so I have a pair of Continental Tour Ride 650b x 1.5" tires on the way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sweet bike, Saddle Up! I love Monster Truckers.

I bet you could probably get a Pacenti Quasi-Moto to fit too.

Blue collar Rivendell - exactly how I think of my LHT. Maybe because I don't ever tour, I just do everything else on my Trucker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    this is more what I had in mind

650b Long Haul Trucker

Professional Nerd
    What an awesome Trucker.

Dan

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    heres my newly built LHT, i like it although it's very similar to my Troll (ie flat bars etc) so i'm wondering why i built it in the first place now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Steve I know how you feel. Surly bikes are so versatile that when you have more than one there is the risk that they will overlap. Now that I see your LHT it makes the answer to your question in your other thread obvious to me. Use the LHT for road surfaces either pavement or gravel and the Troll for off road trail riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i suspect your right, any suggestions on a comfortable drop bar and brake levers? i've had a few drop bars on touring bikes before but struggled to find a comfortable set of brake hoods.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like short and shallow bars like the Salsa Cowbell 2 and the FSA Compact. I either grap the bar on the top or in the drops, rarely do I ride the brake hoods. The Cowbell 2 feels so natural because of the angle it puts your wrists in when riding the top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for that, what levers are you using?

mtbr member

Tire question

Nice LHTs.

Looks like 26" are the better choice for rough gravel. Looking through the pictures, it looks like 2.0 tires will fit. I didn't see any with fenders.

Are there fenders out for something that fat?

Has anyone tried a conservative 29er MTB tire on the 700 rim with any succes?

Thanks

Duncan
    Fairbanks AK
    Last edited by AlaskaStinson; 11-20-2012 at 06:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There are a lot of 65mm full fenders. PB Cascadias, for one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    thanks for that, what levers are you using?
    Tektro in the past but have a pair of Shimano's installed. Just waiting for the weather to improve so I can take the LHT for a good ride. 10-20cm of snow is coming our way, it's -12 celsius right now
    Last edited by Saddle Up; 11-21-2012 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaStinson View Post
    Nice LHTs.

Looks like 26" are the better choice for rough gravel. Looking through the pictures, it looks like 2.0 tires will fit. I didn't see any with fenders.

Are there fenders out for something that fat?

Has anyone tried a conservative 29er MTB tire on the 700 rim with any succes?

Thanks

Duncan
    Fairbanks AK
    Widest tire that fits on the 700c LHT is 45mm. You could go a little wider in the front, maybe up to 2", but to chainstay won't fit anything bigger than 45mm in the rear. A lot of good narrow 29er/monstercross/gravel tires will fit including Panaracer Firecross, the new Clement X'plor tires, the Bruce Gordon Rock n Road and the wider and knobbier Schwalbe Marathons like Dureme and Extreme. There are, however, a lot more tire options for 26".

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Widest tire that fits on the 700c LHT is 45mm. You could go a little wider in the front, maybe up to 2", but to chainstay won't fit anything bigger than 45mm in the rear. A lot of good narrow 29er/monstercross/gravel tires will fit including Panaracer Firecross, the new Clement X'plor tires, the Bruce Gordon Rock n Road and the wider and knobbier Schwalbe Marathons like Dureme and Extreme. There are, however, a lot more tire options for 26".
    I have a pair of BG RnRs on my CC right now (just reposted a picture in the CC thread). No fender clearance in rear, so if that bike gets back on the road before July it's going to need to revert to the 35mm tires.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I could never get the pad to strike the rim flat.
    They shouldn't be flat. Brakes should be slight 'toed in' so the front of the pad strikes first.

From Sheldon Brown's site;
    When a brake shoe presses against a moving rim, the pull of the rim causes the brake arm to flex a bit. If your brake shoes hit a stationary rim perfectly straight and squarely, the flex of the brake arm will cause the rear edge of the brake shoe to do the brunt of the work. The front edge of the shoe may not even be engaging the rim under hard braking.
    Good practice in installing brake shoes is to "toe them in", so that the front part of the shoe hits the rim first. As the brake arm flexes under real braking, it will permit the whole surface of the brake shoe to engage the rim.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast