Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Great news,

Was assembling my mother's new trekking bike and decided to do an experiment with her wheelset:

Schwalbe 29X2.0 Big Bens with fenders and more than enough room.
    I'll assume that Big Apples, Fat Franks and the 29x2.0 Marathon range will be similar sizewise.

Now, dear Surly, why don't you increase the LHT's tire clearance just a bit in order to fit 2.1 knobbies and end up with a true contender to the Specialized AWOL, Salsa Fargo, Trek 920 and Riv Hunqapillar?
    I agree with this. Some people want an expedition tourer that is not based on a mountain bike and the LHT, with a few changes, is perfectly placed to grab some of the market. VO has the Camargue, Co-Motion has the Divide/Pangea, R&E has the Explore/UTB and Rivendell has the Hunqapillar, all non-MTB based expedition touring bikes.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I love that... I wasn't sure how big I could fit on... I'm running tires that run about 40mm (labeled 700x44) and I really wish they where a bit larger when I rode the Katy trail last year near this time
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I agree with this. Some people want an expedition tourer that is not based on a mountain bike and the LHT, with a few changes, is perfectly placed to grab some of the market. VO has the Camargue, Co-Motion has the Divide/Pangea, R&E has the Explore/UTB and Rivendell has the Hunqapillar, all non-MTB based expedition touring bikes.
    In it's present form the 700c LHT already is an extremely capable expedition tourer (way more than the VO Camargue if you consider it's load carrying capabilities).
    The current largest true expedition tires, the Schwalbe Mondial 700x50 and the Continental Travel Contact 700x50 both fit the LHT without fenders and possibly with.

In my view, the advantage of fitting 2.1 tires would be more related to bikepacking and general adventure riding, using mtb tires

Oldie
    I'm currently running a 34mm (labeled 37mm) on my DT and I'm looking to go wider and still keep the fenders. Do you have a over all wide measurement of the tire mounted? I was considering these tires in brown but thought they'd be too wide to fit under the fenders.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    The Big Bens I tried are 47mm wide.

Please, take in consideration that my trucker is a late 2014 model, size 58. That might influence tire clearance a bit (or not)

Oldie
    Those might fit I'll have to get out the calipers....if they don't fit the DT I could use them on my Ogre.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I use the same tires on my Cross Check. I'm pretty sure the Trucker has slightly more clearance. Love them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As always, I'm loving all the pics on this thread. Y'all have some fantastic bikes.

On the tire issues, I was kinda hoping for a little more clearance myself back in the day when I first got my Trucker. But I've come to realize that as versatile as the LHT is, its really at home on the road. Dirt and gravel roads too, for sure. But roads none the less. With the fantastic choices in 40-50mm tires available these days, there's really no reason for more. The LHT is just not that kind of bike. If you want a Fargo, get a Fargo. I should add that, of course, the 26" LHT will take true 2.1" mtb tires. So, I guess, if that's what you're after, there you go.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Is there any way on the stock Disc Trucker to adjust the rear shifter cable tension? I don't have a barrel adjuster or anything and I am getting extremely tired of trying to make my derailleur work. Did my LBS just forget to include something or does Surly really not offer an easy way to adjust cable tension?

Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    But I've come to realize that as versatile as the LHT is, its really at home on the road. Dirt and gravel roads too, for sure. But roads none the less. With the fantastic choices in 40-50mm tires available these days, there's really no reason for more. The LHT is just not that kind of bike. If you want a Fargo, get a Fargo. I should add that, of course, the 26" LHT will take true 2.1" mtb tires. So, I guess, if that's what you're after, there you go.
    100% agree there. LHT/DT aren't meant to compete with the Fargo/Awol. That's what the Ogre and ECR are for. If you want fatter tires, go 26" LHT or fit some fat 650b tires in a Straggler.

Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Is there any way on the stock Disc Trucker to adjust the rear shifter cable tension? I don't have a barrel adjuster or anything and I am getting extremely tired of trying to make my derailleur work. Did my LBS just forget to include something or does Surly really not offer an easy way to adjust cable tension?
    Should be able to tension it at the shifters, DT shifter bosses, and/or the rear derailer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    donalson, I rode the Katy last summer and took my Ogre. I had the stock 2.3's on it and I felt it was a bit overkill. I plan on going again this summer and was going to take my LHT this year but I run 38's on it and I am interested with your comments that you wished for a little bigger tire. I have since converted my Ogre in to my daily commuter and changed the tire over to a more pavement friendly 1.9's. They are a great ride and now I am thinking that they just might be perfect for this years Katy ride. I would hate to get caught out on a rainy spell and have the LHT and flounder about a bit with the wrong tire when I have the right one on Ogre.
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    I love that... I wasn't sure how big I could fit on... I'm running tires that run about 40mm (labeled 700x44) and I really wish they where a bit larger when I rode the Katy trail last year near this time

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    As always, I'm loving all the pics on this thread. Y'all have some fantastic bikes.

On the tire issues, I was kinda hoping for a little more clearance myself back in the day when I first got my Trucker. But I've come to realize that as versatile as the LHT is, its really at home on the road. Dirt and gravel roads too, for sure. But roads none the less. With the fantastic choices in 40-50mm tires available these days, there's really no reason for more. The LHT is just not that kind of bike. If you want a Fargo, get a Fargo. I should add that, of course, the 26" LHT will take true 2.1" mtb tires. So, I guess, if that's what you're after, there you go.
    I have to agree with you bolandjd. I had my trucker on a tour a few summers ago that had some gravel roads and although it did fine, it was harder on the rider (Me!!) and I felt it was beating the bike up a bit. I purchased an Ogre for future gravel road tours and the separation has been great for me. LHT for tours that are pavement, Ogre for gravel and rails to trails tours.

mtbr member
    May I say that if I wanted a Fargo or an AWOL, I would got a Fargo or an AWOL.

The LHT as it is has advantages over thoses models, and that's what matters to me.

The question here, at least for me, is to know if, for a particular ride, the LHT will be able to take the apropriate tires or not.

For what it is, a tourer/expedition bike, I've found that it can take any tire needed for that aplication, from a 28c roadie to the full on 700x50 Mondials. That's the valuable information here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Should be able to tension it at the shifters, DT shifter bosses, and/or the rear derailer.
    Nope, nothing is adjustable. Maybe at the shifters, but its wrapped in bar tape that I really don't want to mess with. I can adjust it at the rear derailleur by completely reattaching the cable to the lever arm, but its really hard to do that precisely. I think I might just buy some new DT shifter bosses to make life easier in the future.

mtbr member
    Nope, nothing is adjustable. Maybe at the shifters, but its wrapped in bar tape that I really don't want to mess with. I can adjust it at the rear derailleur by completely reattaching the cable to the lever arm, but its really hard to do that precisely. I think I might just buy some new DT shifter bosses to make life easier in the future.

I would typically expect a barrel adjuster as shown in this photo at the downtube cable stops. Where you can adjust cable tension for bar end shifters.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I would typically expect a barrel adjuster as shown in this photo at the downtube cable stops. Where you can adjust cable tension for bar end shifters.
    My DT cable stops look similar but don't seem to be threaded and I can't move the plastic part at all. Maybe its just stuck? I messed around with it a lot last night, since it seemed like the logical place to adjust tension, but wasn't able to do anything useful.

mtbr member
    My DT cable stops look similar but don't seem to be threaded and I can't move the plastic part at all. Maybe its just stuck? I messed around with it a lot last night, since it seemed like the logical place to adjust tension, but wasn't able to do anything useful.
    If they aren't new they could be corroded. Maybe a bit of penetrating lube would free them up?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    If they aren't new they could be corroded. Maybe a bit of penetrating lube would free them up?
    I'll give that a shot tonight. How much are they supposed to be able to rotate? Half a turn? A few turns?

mtbr member
    I'll give that a shot tonight. How much are they supposed to be able to rotate? Half a turn? A few turns?
    Multiple turns. They should function like any other barrel adjuster.

One other issue is if they are all the way at one end of their adjustment range and you need to go further in that direction they won't help. If that's the case you need to reset them and then reinstall the cable at the dérailleur.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Multiple turns. They should function like any other barrel adjuster.

One other issue is if they are all the way at one end of their adjustment range and you need to go further in that direction they won't help. If that's the case you need to reset them and then reinstall the cable at the dérailleur.
    Yeah, I've done it before with other bikes and haven't had a problem. Maybe they're just too caked in mud and gunk and I mistook them for non-adjustable. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yep cool stuff

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Start by removing all tension from the cable by shiftinf into your smallest cog.

Next unbolt the der cable fixing bolt and pull the cable nice and taught and re fasten the fixing bolt tight enough so it doesn't slip, but not so tight that it crushes the cable. Pay attention to the grooves in der cable arm where the cable is bolted down and make sure the cable sits in those grooves.

Now try shifting to the next gear. If the chain hesitates to move up to the next gear, the cable is too loose. If it tried to overshift, it is too tight.

*If you need to adjust the cable tension, shift back onto the smallest cog and then try to turn the barrel adjuster. It often helps to pull the plastic barrel away from the boss while turning, and sometime I'll even release more cable tension by pulling on the shift cable or manipulating the RD with my hand. I always make it a point to lube these when building or servicing a bike. Its a lot easier to turn these when there isn't cable tension pushing them into the bosses.*

Try to shift again and see if that works. If it shifts correctly try the next gear and repeat as needed.

If you are under-shifting on some gears and over-shifting on other I would check to make sure the derailer hanger is straight.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Anyone try Schwalbe Smart Sam 26 x 2.25 in a Disc Trucker? Have a pretty good deal on them. Hoping they'll fit.

mtbr member
    Just an update on my daily vehicle

Long Haul Truckers...-img_20150207_105146877.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just an update on my daily vehicle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150207_105146877.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	985305
    You might have already mentioned it but what tires are you running in this photo? They are just about perfectly proportioned for the frame and look very comfortable.

mtbr member
    They'r Continental Speed Rides, 700x42 (true 39mm).
    They are light (410g), supple, cheap and come with a light puncture protection. They also roll really fast on pavement and behave much better than one would expect offroad.

On the down side, for such a supple tire they don't change a lot in behavior with different tire pressures. Even running 37F/45R on trails and cobblestone they are not as comfortable as their size and suppleness would suggest

mtbr member
    Did my first true mtb ride with the Speed Rides today. Went for a 20 mile ride, lots of climbing and rocky single track. I have a new set of 700x47 Smart Sams, but took the risk and went with the Contis. Pressure was at 35F/44R. Once again, not as smooth as their size an suppleness would suggest, but nonetheless, it's interesting as 700x40 tires tend to behave offroad pretty much as 26x2.0 tires (except in fine sand). Explains how 29er tires are so smooth over the equivalent 26" width

mtbr member
    Did my first true mtb ride with the Speed Rides today. Went for a 20 mile ride, lots of climbing and rocky single track. I have a new set of 700x47 Smart Sams, but took the risk and went with the Contis. Pressure was at 35F/44R. Once again, not as smooth as their size an suppleness would suggest, but nonetheless, it's interesting as 700x40 tires tend to behave offroad pretty much as 26x2.0 tires (except in fine sand). Explains how 29er tires are so smooth over the equivalent 26" width
    How did the frame feel? Beat you up at all, or something you'd use the LHT for again?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Feels so good to have some dirt under the tires.

LHT
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    How did the frame feel? Beat you up at all, or something you'd use the LHT for again?
    The LHT goes great offroad, pretty much like a rigid mtb. The only limit are the tires, this if you have a ton of rock or need extra float. Taste and preferences also go in, and I happen to like long and low bikes. The bike is stable, predictable and comfortable.
    BB height never bothered my, even in very technical climbs, but I guess that's a matter of taking attention.

Ended up taking off the fenders. They where showing the beginning of cracks, and I guess its due to a lot of rough cobblestone riding.

Finally installed the 700x47 Smart Sams. Those things are huge, taller than 29x2.0 Race Kings and at least as wide at the knobs. Schwalbe tires are usually undersized, but these are over the anunced size. Measured at 48mm at the knobs, just installed, and I guess they'll grow a bit

mtbr member
    At Saddle Up,
    I am not sure if this has been already answered before but could you advice the size of your LHT?
    Last edited by Bullit_cn; 06-09-2015 at 06:23 PM.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's a 52cm.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I am visualising how does a 52 looks like with a 73cm BB center-to-top of saddle height.
    I used to have a 54 lht with barely little seat post showing. I think the next time I own an LHT it would be a 52 like yours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Coincidentally mine measures 73cm.

mtbr member
    Awesome, Now I can clearly visualize how does a 52 Disk Trucker would look like.
    Thanks Saddle Up

mtbr member
    By the way, did you cut your steer tube or it is the max height that you can be?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can't remember for sure. I have the normal for me 50 mm. of spacers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Disc Trucker rolling on Velocity Blunt 35's with Clement MSO x'plor 700x40s. My pavement and gravel/dirt road bike packing setup (not shown are a Revelate Viscacha seat bag and Revelate handlebar harness).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Headed home

Commuting home, I always appreciate the flexibility to stop off and pick up some, um, supplies. Here in Vermont, I pass two breweries on my commute. Three if I take the scenic route. The LHT and I hit almost every brewery in the state last summer. It has never let me down. Long Haul Truckers...-image.jpg

mtbr member
    SpicyMac, that's a really nice Trucker

Did a 25mile offroad ride today. Mostly single and double track, lots of loose rock, 2500ft of climbing.

Long Haul Truckers...-img_20150516_125256685.jpg

Long Haul Truckers...-img_20150516_125310248.jpg

The long chainstays make climbing standing hard on traction. You have to sit and spin. That way you can pull really low gears without slip and front wheel lift. Downhill the bike is a blast

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    SpicyMac, that's a really nice Trucker

Did a 25mile offroad ride today. Mostly single and double track, lots of loose rock, 2500ft of climbing.

Name:	IMG_20150516_125256685.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	988782

Name:	IMG_20150516_125310248.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	988784

The long chainstays make climbing standing hard on traction. You have to sit and spin. That way you can pull really low gears without slip and front wheel lift. Downhill the bike is a blast
    Ze_Zaskar, that's an awesome bike! What tires are you running and what rear rack is that?

mtbr member
    Tires are 700x45 Smart Sams

The rack is a Tubus Cargo which I use daily for commuting

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Got a 3 week tour in Sweden/Norway coming up soon, so I took the Trucker out for an overnight run. It's a nice ride with the front load too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I didn't go through the entire thread but there are a lot of nice bikes pictured.
    This is my trucker rode mainly on bike path carries my 320 lbs plus every thing I need for an all day ride . If I could only have one bike this is my choice.
    54 cm 26x1.5 tires 2 x 10 gears mostly shimano deore 2008 frame but wasn't built until 2012

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

new bars

The north road bars were the wrong choice for this bike both for my son who wants flatbars (northroads swept too far back) and for me who will still be using it for cargo on weekends and other times (northroads wrong choice on this bike for any use for me, puts me bolt upright), so I put nitto nordeast bars on. So far seems great.

Also took the front rack off, too much to send him off to high school in the fall with. Will probably swap out the brooks for something else too. Son would prefer plain platform pedals but I'm going to be using it enough that I probably will leave these ones on (shimano a530s)

Long Haul Truckers...-lhtnordeast.jpgLong Haul Truckers...-wmlht2.jpg

Taking it to the farmers market today for 20# of apples.

With the new bars I had to shorten the brake cables/housing but not the shifter cables/housing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Spicy Mac--
    Now that I've seen your DT I'm glad you decided to keep that instead of switching to the Ogre frame.
    Also great call on adding the 1X1 to your lineup. Possibly the smartest person on MTBR?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    The north road bars were the wrong choice for this bike both for my son who wants flatbars (northroads swept too far back) and for me who will still be using it for cargo on weekends and other times (northroads wrong choice on this bike for any use for me, puts me bolt upright), so I put nitto nordeast bars on. So far seems great.

Also took the front rack off, too much to send him off to high school in the fall with. Will probably swap out the brooks for something else too. Son would prefer plain platform pedals but I'm going to be using it enough that I probably will leave these ones on (shimano a530s)

Name:	lhtnordeast.jpg 
Views:	1013 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	990817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wmlht2.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	990818

Taking it to the farmers market today for 20# of apples.

With the new bars I had to shorten the brake cables/housing but not the shifter cables/housing.
    I may have a new favorite LHT photo. I love seeing a well used bike built with everyday functionality in mind. Hard to beat!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    Spicy Mac--
    Now that I've seen your DT I'm glad you decided to keep that instead of switching to the Ogre frame.
    Also great call on adding the 1X1 to your lineup. Possibly the smartest person on MTBR?
    I don't know about that last part, but I'm happy as heck with my decision to keep the DT.

It's gonna be fun building up the 1x1!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I may have a new favorite LHT photo. I love seeing a well used bike built with everyday functionality in mind. Hard to beat!
    Thanks! It's been a blast over the 8 yrs of riding and rearranging it to get it to do what has needed to be done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It's time to revamp the ol trucker as it hasn't seen much action lately.

Has anyone added disc tabs to their old original LHT? I got mine before the DT existed and am thinking about getting a local builder to add tabs. Anyone have pics?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy Marx View Post

Has anyone added disc tabs to their old original LHT? I got mine before the DT existed and am thinking about getting a local builder to add tabs. Anyone have pics?
    Thanks!
    Bad idea. The non-disc LHT isn't designed for the torsional stress of disc brakes. I'd suggest buying a DT fork and running a mullet with a good V-brake in the back. Or pony up for a full DT frame set.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy Marx View Post

Thanks!
    I am interested in this too. I have the same situation with my Trucker. I ride my Ogre now the most, a lot of it having to do with that I like the discs on it for braking power during my commutes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Good Morning Everybody!! I had a pedal strip out on me on my last ride (strange to walk back on the road to pick up bikes parts!!) and it totally stripped out the threads on my drive side crank arm. So, time to replace the crankset as it has about 12K miles on it. I am looking for some advice from everybody. Should I also replace the BB?? I have had no issues with the BB, but same as the crankset, original set up, 12 K miles. Any thoughts on brands??? Not sure what the stock LHT build was when I got this complete bike in 2008. I see their current complete bike build is a Shimano UN-55 BB and an Andel crankset. What are anybody's thoughts? I am no hurry because like most of us I have other bikes to ride so I can do some shopping although I have a little tour planned for September to loop up over Trail Ridge Road-Walden-Chambers Pass-Poudre Canyon.
    Thanks for your help!!
    Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bangs View Post
    So, time to replace the crankset as it has about 12K miles on it. I am looking for some advice from everybody. Should I also replace the BB??
    If it's the stock BB and has 12K miles on it I'd replace it while I had the crank off.

If you are feeling frugal once you have the crank off rotate the BB spindle by hand. You should be able to feel it if it's starting to wear out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Wow, how did it strip the threads? Is your pedal seized? I agree with above you should replace the BB, as they're cheap. If you've got money burning holes in your pockets, Phil would be a good upgrade, but bang/buck goes to Shimano.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bangs View Post
    Any thoughts on brands??? Not sure what the stock LHT build was when I got this complete bike in 2008.
    Mine came w/ this crankset in 07, I love it.

The crankarm alone seems pretty cheap, just $40-ish. (I assume those tandem ones could just be flipped around, so you would use the left-front on the right of your bike)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

The crankarm alone seems pretty cheap, just $40-ish. (I assume those tandem ones could just be flipped around, so you would use the left-front on the right of your bike)
    I'm planning to upgrade my Deore/External BB to a Sugino double/square-taper BB, although I really want a White Industries crankset.

To the OP, bottom brackets are matched to specific cranksets so you'll have to pick a crankset that will work well with your current BB or you can just buy a new BB to get one that is compatible, if you find a crankset you want. My experience is that square taper cartridges last a LONG time, for someone who doesn't ride thousands of miles a year.

mtbr member

I believe you cannot use a left-hand tandem crank arm to the right or vice versa as the pedal thread directions are different.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks everybody for the thoughts. I was shopping and found a crankset on sale at Jensen. Shimano Deore 9speed with the BB included. I had a coupon so got the price to $85 for the whole package. So, problem solved.

stremf, I am not sure how it happened to start but I think I helped it along. I had just climbed through some steep hills on the ride through Horsetooth Resevoir where you have to stand and really torque. After the downhill there was a little wobble so I got off and tried to tighten it all back up so I could limp on back to my truck. It just spun in the crank arm and you know that sinking feeling that you probably just made it worse??? Sure enough it was really wobbly and I was pedalling one footed with my right foot just resting on the pedal, and, after about two miles...off it flew!!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    I believe you cannot use a left-hand tandem crank arm to the right or vice versa as the pedal thread directions are different.
    You are right. Some folks used a Heli coil and retapped them. Personally it is not worth the trouble unless the tandem crank is free.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    This has been a good thread to look through. Almost 6 years of LHT-love. Six years is how long I've been riding mine, and I've been thinking about a change. I'm still thinking about it, but after reading through this, I think the LHT frame may get stashed in a closet for a while rather than resold, just to make sure I haven't made a big mistake.

Would a kind soul (or souls) measure the seat tube on a 56 and 58, from the BB to the top of the TT and to the seat collar? May sound silly, but trying to determine how much seat post I'll have showing with those sizes. Thanks.

mtbr member
    On my 58, I get almost 610 mm, although that includes the seat post collar. I would say the seat post extends about 60 mm above the center of the top tube which is presumably where Surly takes their measurements, although 610-60 does not equal 580.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    By the way, did you cut your steer tube or it is the max height that you can be?

Finally remembered to look at the steer tube while doing some re-cabling. It's uncut, 45mm of spacers plus stem.

mtbr member
    My Trucker, lots of miles on it. Would like a 26" disc Trucker.

wet crossing, Nabesna road, Wrangle St Elias National Park, Alaska. Usually, for this duty, I usually my Fargo with 50mm wide tires on snow cat rims.\
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-lht-nabesna.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Out for a ride on the weekend with my son (4).
    Only had the day so we hit the dirt roads and tracks along the far north of Scotlands flow country out to the remote train station of Altnabreac. We dont live too far away so it was a good ride to eat our sandwiches and snacks for lunch, take some detours and try and dodge the rain. LHT and Yepp seat handled like on rails.
    Jamie

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Good thread, I went through the whole thing which gave me serious itch for an LHT.
    Then went to my LBS for a look and remarkably they had a khakis pants 52cm in the store. I size for a 54cm. They called around the country (Thailand ) and found one. I pulled the trigger and it will be here Wednesday.
    Ordered fenders, racks, big apple tires, and some elegant Nitto Bosco open handlebars with cork grips from Rivendell.
    I'll post some pics when I get it put together.

mtbr member
    My blue velvet 26er LHT:

Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390109.885734.jpg

Waiting on VO fenders and a rear rack to finish her up for commuter duties.

The tinkerer in me tried out 700c wheels and it's looking to be promising:

Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390361.531723.jpg

32mm vittoria randonneurs with a ton of clearance:

Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390489.649218.jpg
    Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390512.168215.jpg
    Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390533.572322.jpg

No toe overlap!

Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390574.075646.jpg

The paul motolites made this experiment possible, though setting up the pads high on the arms has resulted in less mechanical advantage, just a little less of what I'm used to in a typical vbrake setup.

Did a quick spin around the block, no feeling of a thrown-off geometry, stability is still there. Would want to try it out on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Trip to Orkney

I had Thursday off work and had planned to take my son across to Orkney for a overnight trip round the island. Unfortunately the weather forecast and the complete lack of any sort of accomodation for the Thursday night meant we went loaded for an overnight trip just in case we could get anything last minute. In the end we couldn't but the forecast got pretty grim as the day went on so we just made a long day of it.
    We set off at 6 to get the first ferry across from Scrabster on the mainland and returned on the last one in the evening to arrive home for about 8pm. A long day, especially for a 4 year old, though he had a ball as he wanted to go back the next day.
    We did the usual tourist spots on a casual loop of the north of the isles, Skara Brea, Ring of Brodgar etc. Weather was great and quite warm for up here. Great riding and as with normal with the little one onboard there is always an excuse for an ice cream stop.
    Trucker ran faultlessly as usual and handled great even with the Yepp seat.
    Just thought I'd share another fine LHT ride.

Jamie

mtbr member
    I stripped my poor Trucker to get my Troll up and running. I'll likely build it up again as I'm able to replace the parts I took. Pulled out my earliest photo and my two most recent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Got Mr Khakipants, set up with some big apples and some goodies from Rivendell.
    This is my first Surly and am impressed how nice it is. While I don't really care for the color the finish is very high quality.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Looks good. The colours seem to grow on you after a while.

mtbr member

LHT as Enduro bike?

The LHT isn't referenced but seems relevant. Figured I'd post this up here. I realize it's a few months old. The Rat Trap Pass tire seems like it would be perfect for the LHT/DT. Anyone tried them?

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/...-allroad-bike/

Link for Rat Trap Pass tires:
    https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/26...rat-trap-pass/
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I used to follow the RBW Owner's Bunch but just sorta lost interest last year. They're a nice group of folks. Lost interest in that group over the past year.

Your DT looks great. I love my 700c Trucker but still wish I had gotten the 26" model.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I used to follow the RBW Owner's Bunch but just sorta lost interest last year. They're a nice group of folks. Lost interest in that group over the past year.

Your DT looks great. I love my 700c Trucker but still wish I had gotten the 26" model.

26" is the way to go on the LHT. I debated for two years on what to buy and I finally settled on an old Karate Monkey frameset but I would still like to pick up a LHT. I just really want a 26" balloon tire bike.

mtbr member
    Well, with the Karate Monkey you can have an even more awesome 29" balloon bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hello everyone,
    I have a bunch of xt level mtb parts with Mavic Crossmax ST 26" wheels to move over and am stuck between a 26" 54cm maroon LHT Disc frameset for $474 or a Specialized AWOL frameset for $550 plus new wheels. Any advice? What made you all choose the LHT?

Also, I had a 56cm LHT a few years ago that I enjoyed but ended up selling as it was a tad too big so moved those parts over to a 54cm Crosscheck. I didn't like the "ride" of the crosscheck as much as the LHT so sold the whole bike.

(I'm 5'10.5ish) Any advice appreciated thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BleepBlp View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have a bunch of xt level mtb parts with Mavic Crossmax ST 26" wheels to move over and am stuck between a 26" 54cm maroon LHT Disc frameset for $474 or a Specialized AWOL frameset for $550 plus new wheels. Any advice? What made you all choose the LHT?

Also, I had a 56cm LHT a few years ago that I enjoyed but ended up selling as it was a tad too big so moved those parts over to a 54cm Crosscheck. I didn't like the "ride" of the crosscheck as much as the LHT so sold the whole bike.

(I'm 5'10.5ish) Any advice appreciated thanks!
    I chose the LHT mostly for the 26" tires I like.(26×2.15 big apples) That and the LHT makes for a good platform for an upright riding position. The reputation for load carrying sturdiness was also a consideration.
    The AWOL looks nice but it hasn't been around long enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Those Compass tires sound interesting, but I think the 26" LHT maxes out at about 2.1", doesn't it? I don't think they'll fit, unless they are undersized. But Jan usually lists his tires by their actual size.

Two things to add: 1) I'm running 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires on my CC, and they are indeed fantastic tires. The supple casing, high volume tire thing is legit. 2) LHT's are great "endure all-road" bikes, with or without Compass tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What made you decide on the 26" wheels? I'm right on the cusp of 54cm and 56cm so I could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake January View Post
    I chose the LHT mostly for the 26" tires I like.(26×2.15 big apples) That and the LHT makes for a good platform for an upright riding position. The reputation for load carrying sturdiness was also a consideration.
    The AWOL looks nice but it hasn't been around long enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What made you decide on the 26" wheels? I'm right on the cusp of 54cm and 56cm so I could go either way.
    I'm right in between frame sizes also and my desicion was largely subjective(I opted for the 54cm). I have newish 29er mtb and an old 26" mtb. When I put the big apples on the 26" bike I now ride it more. Also the world traveler aspect of the 26" tire apealed because I live out in the boonies in Thailand and do wander around some remote places.....
    But that said after doing a bunch of reading on the Rivendell site and Grant Peterson discussion on traditional frame sizing and how many folks tend to buy a frame that's too small.
    My next bike will probably be a 57 or 59cm Rivendell frame and 700c wheels. Going by the old school frame sizing guide.
    So I guess what I'm saying is you can't go wrong either way. Both will be great bikes. The LHT is very good bike for the money.
    People say that it's slow but I'm able to keep up with the spandex road bike boys. Those big apples roll really nicely.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What are your measurements if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5'10.5 with a 32.75 inseam (standover measurement I believe). I had a 56cm 26" LHT back when it first came out and it (or at least the top tube length) felt big to me. I'm not sure if that's do to using drop bars or not, hence me looking into the 54cm. The mtb I have is a 26" as well so I planned on moving over as much of the parts as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake January View Post
    I'm right in between frame sizes also and my desicion was largely subjective(I opted for the 54cm). I have newish 29er mtb and an old 26" mtb. When I put the big apples on the 26" bike I now ride it more. Also the world traveler aspect of the 26" tire apealed because I live out in the boonies in Thailand and do wander around some remote places.....
    But that said after doing a bunch of reading on the Rivendell site and Grant Peterson discussion on traditional frame sizing and how many folks tend to buy a frame that's too small.
    My next bike will probably be a 57 or 59cm Rivendell frame and 700c wheels. Going by the old school frame sizing guide.
    So I guess what I'm saying is you can't go wrong either way. Both will be great bikes. The LHT is very good bike for the money.
    People say that it's slow but I'm able to keep up with the spandex road bike boys. Those big apples roll really nicely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What are your measurements if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5'10.5 with a 32.75 inseam (standover measurement I believe). I had a 56cm 26" LHT back when it first came out and it (or at least the top tube length) felt big to me. I'm not sure if that's do to using drop bars or not, hence me looking into the 54cm. The mtb I have is a 26" as well so I planned on moving over as much of the parts as possible.
    I'm nearly the same measurements, 5'10" 32", actual PBH 86cm. The LBS where I bought the LHT sized me for the 54cm. There is plenty of room for me to stand over the top tube. I could easily stand over a 56cm frame also.
    I am also 59 years old with a long history of creaky back and neck pains, which influenced the smaller frame choice.
    I knew I wasn't going to use the drop bars and went to the oposite extreme of the 58cm Nitto Bosco handlebars. Problem with them is the clearance for bar end shifters isn't ideal. I have some Albatross bars on order and am thinking those will be the happy medium and keep the original bar end shifters,which work very nicely.
    I suppose I've been drinking the Rivendell kool-aid a bit, that and having spent a few weeks riding around Holland has shifted my thinking towards the traditional old-school approach. Most of the Dutch people ride on these huge framed steel bikes.
    Apparently there is more than one school of thought about this frame size issue.
    I think there is much validity in the Rivendell school of thought. I've read on another forum how Rivendell was a significant influence in the advent of the Surly bicycles and that the LHT is very similar to some Rivendell frames for a fraction of the money.

mtbr member
    There's a Long Haul Trucker/Crosscheck Google group where they maintain a spreadsheet of different rider sizes and the frame size they chose. Might be worth checking out: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/surlylht

I'm 5' 10" with a pant inseam of 32 (I can't remember my actual PBH). When sizing, I also knew I wouldn't be using drop bars, and I like a bigger frame. I got the 58cm/700c version, and I was always happy with the fit. Ran Albatross bars and 135mm stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Over the years, I've learned to size a bike by effective top-tube length, assuming I can stand over the top-tube. I'm 5'11" with a PBH in the mid-80's (it's hard to measure accurately) but I know from experience that a bike with a 73 degree seat-tube and a 57cm ETT works really well for me with flat handlebars. Based on that, I would buy a 56cm LHT and expect to get a near perfect fit on the first try. I might even be able to ride a 58cm model but I like fat tires and stand-over clearance would become a concern.

If I were to run drop bars, then the 57cm ETT would be too long for me and I don't know if a short stem would be enough to make it work so I would have to consider a 54cm in that case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Howdy long haul truckers - my LHT turned seven years young this month. Still going strong. Here we are hitched up and ready to haul some chilluns'.

Long Haul Truckers...-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Being stationed in Germany, I've decided to purchase a Patria Touros. I've test ridden several and the ride quality and attention to detail is stunning. Does anyone else have any experience(s) with Patria?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That Patria looks like a fine bike, probably better than an LHT. Lugged steel frames rock.

I'm looking at the Thorn Nomad for next summer's EU jaunt. Pick it up in the UK.
    The Thorn frame is made in Taiwan, very likely the same factory as the Surly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Yesterdays ride

A few pics from a ride out yesterday into the flow country here in the north of Scotland. Nice day, sunny, cool breeze and a bit of single lane tarmac and some gravel grinding. As usual the Trucker takes it all in its stride. If my trunk bag looks like its sitting high that's because it is. I left the additional top rack for my sons Yepp seat still attached.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Long Haul Trucker

Slow moving thread this one
    I was out last weekend down to the Black Isle. Some road and a fair bit of off road. Some very narrow tracks and some really nice wide forestry stuff. My friend Brian was looking out some ancient monuments such as Brochs, Duns, Iron age forts etc. Lovely weather and as you can see from my previous post, there were trees
    Finished well into darkness by the time we got back to Brians. It actually caught us out a bit but not a problem.
    Just thought I would share a few pics.

Jamie

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Tanglefoot Trail in Mississippi, going through the cotton fields:

Long Haul Truckers...-21231247455_22e8fea882_b.jpg

I'm 5' 10" and most pants 31" or 32" inseam, PBH is about 81 or so. The steerer is uncut and the stem is maxed out with spacers bringing the top of the bars about 1.5" higher than the saddle. That's a 54cm bike, with a 300mm steerer. I believe if you get a 56cm bike, the steerer jumps up to 350mm.

I'm almost 50 and my back just not too flexible. I don't think it looks too goofy with the amount of spacers on it now. You can click on the pic to see the stem/spacers a little better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi jonc123,
    Your setup looks good to me, not goofy at all. My blue on in the post above has a fair old stack of spacers, you can see clearly in one of the pics. This was meant to be a starting point when originally built, but it works great as it is. I thought mine looked goofy originally, especially as its a 46cm, but now, not so much. Truckers are many great things and fashion accessory, thankfully isn't one of them

Jamie

Jamie

mtbr member

The more the merrier!

My LHT.

mtbr member

Tire size and bars.

I go through periods of getting myself worked up and believing I need things I might not need. I've recently been entertaining thoughts of a drop bar all-road bike but that could accommodate a 2.0 tire. I'd been thinking about a Fargo or even an Ogre. But then I was out on my LHT which I've ridden a fair amount off road, loaded and unloaded. I started thinking, and reviewed this thread, and I think before I do anything about a new frame and a shuffling of parts, I'll maybe first try my LHT off road (dirt roads, not singletrack) with some Cowbells and some larger tires. I might have what I'm looking for right in front of me.

So yeah, I'm thinking some Cowbells and maybe Big Bens or even heavy ass Marathons.

These tires aren't available yet but seem like they might actually be perfect:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=76951

I gotta say, my LHT really is my sentimental favorite of my bikes, even over my CC which I've had 9 years.

mtbr member

Long Haul Truckers...

When sometimes you get bored, reinvent. That's the hidden beauty of a Surly. I feel you

My sister in law got a nice carbon road bike recently. Probably 1/2 the weight of my wife's trucker. So I asked, do you want a road bike? "Why?" Came the reply. "I love my bike." She does everything with it. Road rides. Errand runs. Kid hauling. Just gotta convince her to get some 2.1" tires for it to go bike packing with me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    dfltroll, I too get worked up for the next thing and then usually I ride and realize that I am all good. I have an LHT and an Ogre and for me it was all I needed. Then the fat bike thing came along and at first I ignored it, telling myself "you really do not need this"
    But I fell prey to my emotions and got one. Now six months later, I was originally right, "you really do not need this".
    I will give it a chance this winter for some snow riding but it might become a hand-me-down to one of my sons.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Swapped out my Drops for riser.

mtbr member
    Apparently ET tires are in stock. Anyone planning to try them in their LHT or DT? I doubt the tire will fit in the rear but if it did... what an awesome set-up that would make.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast