Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

A Disc Trucker it is...

My conundrum is that I ride a 56cm frame and have the option of 26" or 700C.

By any chance has anyone ridden both that could provide some insight as to the benefits of either?

I have a Pacer that I adore, with no toe overlap. My concern with the 56cm and larger 700c wheels, I might have that issue.
    Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love UNIX.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Really nice bikes guys.

Say, are there other upright bars that will fit barcon shifters, or is the Nitto Albatros the only show in town? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Really nice bikes guys.

Say, are there other upright bars that will fit barcon shifters, or is the Nitto Albatros the only show in town? Thanks.
    the surly open bar actually fits bar end shifters. it looks a little goofy and i doubt they had BE's in mind when making the bar, but they do fit. i wanted an upright-ish bar that would fit BE's so i could easily swap out the drop bars from time to time on my cross check.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-2012-09-07-08.55.20.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    north road bars also take bar ends

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwall View Post
    the surly open bar actually fits bar end shifters. it looks a little goofy and i doubt they had BE's in mind when making the bar, but they do fit. i wanted an upright-ish bar that would fit BE's so i could easily swap out the drop bars from time to time on my cross check.
    Good to know. Looks nice too. Anybody have a preference for Albo vs. Open Bar?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    north road bars also take bar ends
    Nitto North Road or somebody else's?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nitto North Road cromo, not sure if they are different from their alu ones; I have not tried any others so don't have an opinion; maybe should have gone albatross. Not much black on the bike so I was just looking for something silver instead of the open bar (or maybe they do have that in silver and I didn't look hard enough)

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt View Post

By any chance has anyone ridden both that could provide some insight as to the benefits of either?

I have a Pacer that I adore, with no toe overlap. My concern with the 56cm and larger 700c wheels, I might have that issue.
    I was kind of hoping somebody would jump on this one. Toe overlap is especially bad with fenders.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I was kind of hoping somebody would jump on this one. Toe overlap is especially bad with fenders.
    I've got a 58cm 700c. No overlap without fenders. A very little bit with fenders. Not a problem. If I set the fenders up better, I might even be able to eliminate it. Oh yeah, mine is the old fashioned Trucker, not the Disc Trucker, but I don't imagine the geo is different at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Do you have fenders on the Pacer?

I have a 54cm LHT and CC; the LHT has been committed to 50mm tires and fenders
    forever. The CC spent a lot of time w/ 32mm tires but I have pushed it out to 40/45 before
    settling on 35s. I do have toe overlap w/ the 45 mm fenders I use (PB Cascadia) on the
    CC. No hint of toe overlap on the 26" LHT of course, I could mount a bottle on that fender.

Toe overlap exists w/ the CC fenders (not the tires so much if I don't run fenders) but is
    only an issue when I am riding fixed gear, that is the only time I find myself slow enough
    or balancing enough to wind up w/ my foot between the fender and the frame. Then again
    maybe it's better w/ the 56cm frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    It really depends on what tyres your expecting to run. Most 26LHT tend to be built with big fat tyres like 2.0", outer diameter around 673mm. Most 700LHT seem to have smaller tyres like 35c, around 700mm diameter. (source for diameter info: justridingalong.com).

If that the case then the outer diameter is only around 27mm different so the tyre (and therefore mudguard will only be 15mm closer to your foot. Obviously this all depends on your tyre size preference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Do you have fenders on the Pacer?
    No fenders on the Pacer with the supplied 28's.

It sounds like you've answered my question, if even in an indirect way.

I wear a 45 shoe and if I were to put, lets say, a 37 on my Pacer (tire that comes with the built Disc Trucker 700C), I would indeed experience some toe overlap. In most conditions we know that a little overlap is no big deal.

However, on a touring rig, with load and all, I could see it as a reasonable concern. If 26" wheels alleviate this, I think I know the direction I need to go. Any comments on the handling/feel of your LHT with 26? Do you find yourself wishing you had gone with 700C?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My LHT is the one bike I own where 26" feels like the perfect tire size. When I ride on the road with 26" mountain bikes I feel like a hamster on a wheel sometimes, not with the LHT. I use 1.85" slick tires. No desire for the 700c LHT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    However, on a touring rig, with load and all, I could see it as a reasonable concern. If 26" wheels alleviate this, I think I know the direction I need to go. Any comments on the handling/feel of your LHT with 26? Do you find yourself wishing you had gone with 700C?
    Well mine is 54cm so no choice of rim diameter for that size but I LOVE the ride of the 26" wheel LHT especially w/ a huge honking load. It is my one keeper bike if I had to empty out the garage for some reason. The 2nd to last one would be a steel road bike that is a lot like the pacer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No pics of the 2013 grey/silver yet hey?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Oh wow!!

That is a beautiful rig.

Mind me asking what size fame compared to your height and inseam?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks. I'm 5'7". I'm not sure of my inseam, I have long legs short torso, 31"? From center of crank to top of saddle is 73.5cm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Right now my LHT is my favorite. Actually I like all of the Surly's(currently have three of them lol).

superluker
    Aug 2009
    trucker

Loaded up and on a ferry during a family trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Excellent!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Lovely

taehome, your Trucker looks brilliant
    You look fully loaded on the ferry, good to see
    Keep em coming.
    Jamie

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

tao
    succinct
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    What bottles and cages are those? Bike looks great, dig those panniers also.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast