Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yep, 54cm frame, so no choice on wheel size (but tire clearance was the biggest factor in choosing that frame vs various other touring or cross options in the first place, way back when)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

awesome gravel grinder

mtbr member
    Saddle Up, that bike looks awesome.
    What Crank is that? and What front rack?

It looks like the crank has the chain guard. I ride with long pants on and hate to wrap my leg. I usually forget to till I've destroyed my pants.

Thanks
    Please support "Sharing the PCT"
    http://www.sharingthepct.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks tommignon. The crank is the trekking version of the Deore, 26/36/48 t chainrings. The front rack is from Axiom, designed to support a basket, perfect for a nice big handlebar bag.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Changed the bar from a WTB Mountain/Road Drop to a Salsa Cowbell 2, shorter and shallower, I'll see how I like it. I may resort to a short and shallow FSA bar. I'm trying to like drop bars on the LHT, I'm just not there yet. 40+mm of spacers a +16 stem in an attempt to get the top of the bar even with the saddle. New tires and gone naked for a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Every time I think about switching to something like an open bar or north road bar on my LHT I wind up commuting home into a massive headwind off the water and I'm glad for the drops to pull me somewhat out of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Every time I think about switching to something like an open bar or north road bar on my LHT I wind up commuting home into a massive headwind off the water and I'm glad for the drops to pull me somewhat out of it.

We use Titec H-bars & Jeff Jones Loop H-bars on a few of our bikes and they provide a relaxed cruising position as well as a low forward aero position.

Might be worth a look.

BTW - ignore the hacked IGH shifter/grip setup. That was a short term configuration to validate my GF like the bars in general before we bought a IGH trigger shifter for her.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've been trying to find somewhere that still stocks Titec bars, not having much luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    I've been trying to find somewhere that still stocks Titec bars, not having much luck.
    Jeff Jones is selling the Loop H-Bar which is nice and actually works better with most brake/shifter combos than the Titec H-Bar.

Jeff's bars cost more, but the price isn't unreasonable.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Jeff Jones is selling the Loop H-Bar which is nice and actually works better with most brake/shifter combos than the Titec H-Bar.

Jeff's bars cost more, but the price isn't unreasonable.
    All out of stock apparently. Sigh... I do have and like a titec h-bar but I would rather not swap it off the bike it's on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You know those stress dreams where your brain is constantly trying to solve a problem or decision that's impossible to solve? I had that last night, kept me from getting a decent night's sleep. It was whether to get a disc trucker and swap all the parts over from my Salsa Vaya, or get a canti trucker and build a cheaper 'city bike' type build on it. Or some mix of the two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I wish they made just one model of the LHT with both discs tabs and canti posts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    I wish they made just one model of the LHT with both discs tabs and canti posts.
    Exactly what I thought when I got up this morning!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    adding disc tabs isn't that much else to throw onto the brazer's dream of the LHT frame anyway is it, in addition to the chain hanger, pump thingy (wish I could move that to another bike), spoke holders, bottle mounts, rack mounts, fender mounts...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I could easily build two LHT's, one Disc model with drops and full touring setup and the other canti with a cheap & durable build, fat tires meant for heavy duty city use (including some jumping off stuff, etc). So many daydreams, so little extra space.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    I could easily build two LHT's, one Disc model with drops and full touring setup and the other canti with a cheap & durable build, fat tires meant for heavy duty city use (including some jumping off stuff, etc). So many daydreams, so little extra space.
    Two thoughts:

1. I'd go the other way - discs on the urban fun bike, simple reliable rim brakes on the tourer

2. I could be build up two versions of just about every Surly bike. Maybe not the Dummy. But all the others.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Discs are as simple and reliable as rim brakes IMO, and the canti brakes for city use is all about theft deterrence for me. It would be de-decaled too
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Abby Normal
    I've put a lot of miles on my LHT, road and dirt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Have to see how this works. My riding is going to be pretty substantially curtailed for a while due to injury and these bars are a nod to that.

Abby Normal
    If those are Albatross bars - can't go wrong man. Absolutely love mine. It just changes your whole demeanor on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm so tempted to go back to a Surly Open bar. I've been riding drop bars on my LHT for most of the summer but just cannot completely come to terms with them. It's not because I'm out of shape, or feel pain or discomfort or anything like that, I have a Pacer that will be set up with an aggressive riding position, It's because the LHT has the potential to be the most comfortable bike ever made. I'm never in that big of a hurry on the LHT where aerodynamics enter into the equation. Sitting upright just feels natural on that bike, it doesn't seem to change how the power transfers to the back wheel.

I like how Holmes put it, "the demeanor", I've found that being more upright and comfortable on the LHT does not change how it pedals and performs, the thing just rolls along. Maybe other LHT riders can relate to what I'm trying to say.

mtbr member
    I said this elsewhere, I'd love to set-up a 26" Disc Trucker with an Open Bar as a homage to the Bridgestone XO-1. Seems like it would make the ideal commuter for here in Portland.

@HardyW, love your LHT.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Totally lusting after a LHT. I may be able to justify it as being a car replacement on days when I have a ton of stuff to carry. Not that I ever have that much stuff, but these rigs look so comfortable for every day use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They truly shine under a ginormous load.

Thanks for the bar feedback guys! Those are cromo north road bars. Since they are cromo I am considering pushing the ends out to I guess widen the sweep if they prove to be too narrow as is.

For my current needs the demeanor these bars inspire is definitely where I'm aiming!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast