Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    [/QUOTE]

Once I'm done with camping/touring for the year I'll most likely put upright bars and fenders on my LHT for commuting duties.

I can see how you'd maybe get a little wobbly on a decent with all the gear up high like that. Definitely worth investing in a rack and panniers for carrying your load. As I mentioned above, I was really happy with the way the LHT handled even with a rear biased load.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Long day on the LHT + t-a-b w/ my 6 yo daughter today. Wife and 10 yo son on their own bikes. Thinking about taking the LHT rather than the fixed CC on a distance ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have you made the change for the handle bars and added the iBert yet? i would like to see pics if you have them. i am looking to do the same thing with my LHT, 62cm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bxrman View Post
    Have you made the change for the handle bars and added the iBert yet? i would like to see pics if you have them. i am looking to do the same thing with my LHT, 62cm.
    Yep! (Assuming you were talking to me). I have had it switched over for a little under 2 months now. These pictures show the iBert "stinger" but not the actual seat. This is a 58cm LHT.

Impressions: I had to switch out the stock seatpost for this one in order to prevent my knees from hitting the iBert. They were only just barely touching but now they don't at all. I was worried I'd have to switch to a more supportive seat but so far even with the more upright riding position the B-17 has been fine, I just put the nose up a touch.

Also, I am using the stock stem, but I also bought two 135mm stems (two different angles) in case I want to put the bars a little forward. I am ok as is but I could probably stand to use one of those stems, just haven't gotten around to trying them yet. It was hard to find a longer stem though- one is a cheap eBay stem and the other is a Thorn model I had to order from SJS Cycles in the UK. The steering with the stock stem and the upright bars felt slightly twitchy compared to the drops, so a longer stem may alleviate that, but I got used to it.

The bars are Nitto North Road bars (very similar to Nitto Albatross bars but Rivendell was sold out of Albatross bars for the whole summer ), with Rivendell portuguese cork grips and twine, I shellac'd and tied them using the how-to Rivendell posted on YouTube, it was fun.

The iBert is as great as it was on my Pugsley, it's a real fun seat to use.

The pictures aren't really great angles of the handlebars from an asthetic standpoint, they look far nicer in person, haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Thank You

Looks great, that gives me a ton of information, i am stretched out with my frame, so it will be interesting to see how the seat interacts with my knees, my wife is a little concerned about our son riding up with me, she would rather have a trailor, but i really like the ibert and the positioning.

Thanks again!!

B

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Honestly, my son has never been a problem- he is right between my arms which barely affects my center of gravity. I have never had a situation where we were unstable. Plus he gets the wind in his face, and the good view. I am fairly certain that the smile-factor would be far lower with a trailer.

I should also point out that if you are considering other front-mount seats, I bought the Wee Ride from Toys R Us before I bought the iBert. Installed it on my Pugsley, and couldn't pedal, it interfered far too much with my legs. Returned it and found an LBS with an iBert in stock same day, so I had back to back comparison. Aside from the fit, it's just plain better hardware with the iBert.

Also, depending on how much space you have on your stem, you can adjust the distance of the iBert from you by raising or lowering it on the stem.

Worst case scenario, you can likely flip the iBert on Craigslist if it doesn't work for you, for very close to what you paid for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am coming back to the LHT and this time i'm keeping it. I should have it Friday and it will be black and stock. I will make changes along the way. First will be a rack and fenders. Only two more days!

mtbr member
    Awesome Truckers!

Is anyone riding a 62cm Trucker with 26" wheels? Does it seem ridiculous to have 26" wheels on a frame this big?

Is anyone using a flat bar on a Trucker? I'm considering a LHT build with a flat bar with bar ends or a Surly Open Bar and am wondering if the handling would be funny at all with a 120mm or so stem.

Mangoman, did you get a different length stem for your Modolo Yuma?

I see many of you are using v-brakes with fenders and racks. I'm guessing I would have no problem with 2.0 tires, fenders, racks, and Avid SD-7 brakes?

How low is the LHT bottom bracket, really? I'm used to touring on a Big Dummy, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to hit the dirt on the LHT like I can on the Dummy, given the same tires. I'm also considering a Troll, but would appreciate the longer chainstays of the LHT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Awesome Truckers!

Is anyone riding a 62cm Trucker with 26" wheels? Does it seem ridiculous to have 26" wheels on a frame this big?

Is anyone using a flat bar on a Trucker? I'm considering a LHT build with a flat bar with bar ends or a Surly Open Bar and am wondering if the handling would be funny at all with a 120mm or so stem.

Mangoman, did you get a different length stem for your Modolo Yuma?

I see many of you are using v-brakes with fenders and racks. I'm guessing I would have no problem with 2.0 tires, fenders, racks, and Avid SD-7 brakes?

How low is the LHT bottom bracket, really? I'm used to touring on a Big Dummy, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to hit the dirt on the LHT like I can on the Dummy, given the same tires. I'm also considering a Troll, but would appreciate the longer chainstays of the LHT.
    26" wheels on a 62cm frame look a little silly, to my eyes. But nothing silly for real about 26" wheels - lots of good reasons to use them. For one thing, the 26" Truckers can fit fatter tires finer - which is great if you want to run offroad knobbies.

Flat bar truckers look great - sort of like retro mountain bikes. Mine would look killer with a bull moose-style bar. Hmmm . Might have to try it. Mountain Goat Goat-horn bar, maybe.

My LHT is a 700c, but I think the BB height is about the same as 26". Close enough, anyway. LHT is definitely dirtable, but you do need to watch the clearance. Gravel, fireroads, buff singletrack - no problem. Rock gardens, rutted off-camber trails (especially climbing), anything remotely technical - not so much. Troll might be a better choice if you want ride mostly offroad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rides great with flat bars. 54cm with 120mm stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-img_2312.jpg  

mtbr member

Alright...

I ordered a Trucker frameset this morning. I didn't take much convincing. This thread won me over: http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-rac...ke-451468.html. I'll post pictures once the bike is built up, but picture a blue frame, black components (Mr. Whirly cranks, Open Bar, B-17), cork grips, and gumwall tires.

I need a bike for commuting and touring that I can take on buses and trains, something smaller and easier to manage than my Big Dummy. I will also be riding my first century in a few weeks and was not about to do in on the Dummy (although I could ).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Here is my LHT:
    I currently have some SKS fenders on it with a VO leather mudflap on the front. They were great this past week in SE TN.

I am currently running Shimano A520 pedals and was thinking of going back to my MKS touring pedals. For those of you that are using flat pedals, MKS touring or Grip Kings, what kind of shoes are you wearing with them? Just curious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-lhtgrass.jpg  

mtbr member
    "Rides great with flat bars. 54cm with 120mm stem. "

smedly_whiplash- Every time I think a Cross Check is the bike for me I see a pic like this, and the process starts all over again. That bike looks like a ton of fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    '07 LHT, XT drivetrain with Dura Ace 7402 brifters, Mavic CrossMax wheels, Maxxis Overdrive tires, 3T bar/stem, Axiom DLX rack, Chris King headset. These photos show it's summer loaded touring mode. I convert it to Truckercross mode for fall and winter snow riding. It does everything great except go fast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-img_2673.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-img_2677.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-img_2679.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-img_2683.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-img_2689.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Beauty Neil! What size frame is that, 54?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks! It's a 50cm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    i just scored a 42cm LHT frame in olive green for my wife for $230.

sweet!
    Did you put a gun to the guys head lol. JK
    You got a great deal for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brewster View Post
    thanks! It's a 50cm.
    Wow are those 26" wheels misleading
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

short timer
    Jul 2008
    There are a few LHT's on ebay right now. Looks like they hold their value well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Grocery store run

mtbr member
    Love the iBert seat! I have been using one for about a year and a half, going on two years I guess. Sadly, this will be our last summer until baby number two arrives.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm in a similar boat, I only started using it in the spring and my son is 2 1/2, I think by next spring he'll definitely be out of it. Which is sad because we absolutely love using it. I guess he'll have to go to rear mount.

He does have a Specialized Hotwalk that he started using about a month ago, so maybe come springtime he'll be pedalling on his own

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    ebay! lots of good deals. keep checking.

also, i've seen some really nice deals on LHTs and CCs on craigslist in the bay area.
    +1 on ebay. I just scored a nice Pacer for $190 shipped for my wife. It's going to be a nice winter project. If you're persistent, you can get some great deals on ebay. Good luck
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here is my usual commute setup, 2 panniers + bar bag, and room for whatever else
    comes up on the day.

I can do the fore/aft no pannier thing like Rivendell and Carradice seem to want.

(that in the front is both a pillow *and* a pet).

Here is today, 40# of produce (24# of apples and pears in the front panniers).

I appreciate the 'naked LHT' thread but between the bar bag and coffee (and fenders),
    mine is just never going to be stripped that far down.

This bike is pushing 11k miles and has been stable for 3+ yrs now (no more changes),
    other than swapping the pedals and a couple wks ago removing the trailer QR
    (kids outgrew the trailer)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    This bike is pushing 11k miles and has been stable for 3+ yrs now (no more changes),
    other than swapping the pedals and a couple wks ago removing the trailer QR
    (kids outgrew the trailer)
    Nice lookin', hard workin' Trucker. I really like your tires. Big and balloony. Must be 26".

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast