Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ache
    Christian, which handlebars and shifters are you using?
    The handlebars are the HUMPERT X-ACT RANDONNEUR. Humpert produces these handlebars only for the german bicycle company Utopia. Whether Utopia also sent to the United States would have to ask. There you can also order the handlebars. It costs 64 . The handlebar is with 52cm very wide. You can unscrew the ends and then install Shimano or SRAM flatbar shifters. My shifters are Shimano Compatible SRAM Attack.

I hope I could help you and sorry for my bad english.

Christian

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Good job! Surlys and why we love them

I couldn't find that post about why we love our Surlys so I figured I'd put this here. Got my first Surly 2-3 years ago. SS rigid KM, built up by my LBS. Love this bike!!!! like a big boy bmx bike. I feel unstoppable on this bike. Month ago got my second Surly. Pacer complete ordered and fitted by my LBS. Love this bike!!!!! it ain't the lightest road bike (and I ain't the lightest rider!), but it is fast comfortable and a blast to ride. Now I am mixing up road rides and singletrack and loving both.

here is the LHT connection. am out with my wife on a road ride in northern NJ a couple sundays ago. a couple miles from home I pass a guy stopped off the road with a bike all loaded up racks and stuff. I ride with him for a few minutes and I ask where he is headed and he says out west. I say, well where did you start from? he says NYC. I wish him well and tell him nice bike. he looks at me and smiles. he was riding a nice purplish blue LHT and it looked like he had everything he needed on him and the LHT. I have nothing but appreciation for Surly and my Surly bikes.

mtbr member

My new LHT

So I picked up my LHT last week but didn't get a chance to ride it or wrap the bars as I had a 600k brevet last weekend. Spent yesterday and today rolling around on it and love it! Even took it up into Forest Park yesterday for a few miles on the dirt roads there.

I put the racks on this morning although took the front rack off as I don't need that for around town. I just wanted to get it set-up and see how it looked. I bought it a few years ago on a whim and never really used it but glad I didn't sell it. Still, not sure how much use it'll get but we'll see.

The tires on the bike are 700x47 Schwalbe Marathons which are nice on dirt roads but a bit of overkill for the pavement. And they don't play well with fenders. I've got a 2 day trip I want to take this summer that has one 30 mile stretch of dirt roads and they should be perfect for that.

Most likely this will be come my commuter. I just need to add fenders and use a smaller set of tires. I can then work on changing my CC from an single speed commuter with an upright bar to a geared all-rounder with a flat bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-lhtwracks.jpg  

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I love mine. I haven't been able to ride it all that much over the past 6 months since my friends got really into mountain biking and so that's mostly what I ride now, but I am in the midst of a reaquaintance with my LHT, as I recently got an iBert Safe-T-Seat for my 2 year old son, and along with that, my wife started working middle shift, so my son and I are going to be on the LHT almost every night, going to the park, grocery store, nature/walking paths, rails to trails, etc etc.

I am in the process of converting it to Nitto North Road bars with cork grips, for a more upright, townie feel (and to make using the iBert possible). Here is a pic of it as it currently sits, only thing missing is my 700x40 Schwalbe Marathon Extreme's that I am running:

Oh, be sure to check out the Surly LHT/Cross Check group on Google:

http://groups.google.com/group/SurlyLHT

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm glad this someone resurrected this thread . Hurray for Long Haul Truckers! I'm still ridin' and lovin' mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    I'm glad this someone resurrected this thread . Hurray for Long Haul Truckers! I'm still ridin' and lovin' mine.
    +1 although actually I am riding my CC fixed gear more on a day-to-day basis. Not much good for cargo though.

gimme friction
    I, too, am still singing the praises of the LHT. Love this bike for commuting (mix of pave and dirt), 'round town, grocery getter, racing the kids, etc., etc.

Only mods have been Salsa Bell Lap bar in medium width, and Schwalbe Ultra Marathon tires in medium fat. With stock tires, in the summer time, I was getting 1-2 flats per ride. ZERO flats since installing the Schwalbes. Spendy, but worth it.

No glamour shots, but here is my favorite part of my commute.

Johnny Ryall rode MTB

mtbr member
    Could/would you ride a LHT at a cross race?

I'm in need of a bike for cross but it's only a small portion of my overall riding. I ride much more gravel. So would it be a terrible choice for 2 cross races a year?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick
    Could/would you ride a LHT at a cross race?

I'm in need of a bike for cross but it's only a small portion of my overall riding. I ride much more gravel. So would it be a terrible choice for 2 cross races a year?
    It wouldn't be my first choice, and it wouldn't be quick, but it would work. BB is a bit low, and it's not really an accelerate out of the corners bike. I'd probably be more likely to run a MTB with a skinnier tire before I'd ride the LHT. I say this having ridden mine on a bit of grass at Whiterock and singletrack around Des Moines. I'm sure you could find someone who would loan you a cross bike for a couple of races for a minimal amount of beer or something

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I don't have mine any more, but here is a photo of mine when I had it.

IMG_0646.JPG

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    How did you like the firecross tires on your LHT? I have thought about putting some on mine. Any clearance issues?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pastpost
    How did you like the firecross tires on your LHT? I have thought about putting some on mine. Any clearance issues?
    I went with the firecross because my 2.1 Nano's rubbed the chainstays (although they cleared the fork fine). They were OK, but on gravel, I found them slow rolling due to the knobs. I used them for one gravel century and I never really used them again. I went back to the stock 38mm Conti's that came with mine and they worked fine for everything but really soft sandy roads.

mtbr member

First overnight camping trip on LHT.

So I've been riding my LHT around town quite a bit for the past month but yesterday was the first day I got out for a camping trip with a load. I live in Portland and headed out Hwy 224 about 27 miles outside of Estacada to a campsite on the Clackamas River. I had Surly Nice Racks mounted front and rear but I only used one set of panniers, a set of Ortlieb Front Roller Pluses. On the platform of the rear rack I had my one man tent and rain jacket in a stuff sack. In the panniers I had my pad, bag, food, stove and clothing. I probably could have fit all my gear for the trip in the two panniers if I had trimmed the load down a bit but there was a chance for rain.

I'm just really happy with how the bike performed. It was rock solid on descents with no shimmy at all, something which was always an issue on my previous bike with a rear load. Besides running a front load which was new the only other thing new to me, besides the frame, was the 48cm Nitto Noodle handelbars. I love the width of these bars and they seem like the perfect choice for the LHT.

The one thing I'd consider changing might be the racks. While the NRs are... well... nice, they're a bit overbuilt for my needs. I'd maybe like to try out the Tubus Duo or the Salsa Down Under rack later this summer, especially when the weather is nicer and I don't need a tent. I was rolling some hefty tires too (Schwalbe 700x47 but measure 41). In July I'll get out with a lighter load, lighter tires (Supremes 700x35) and maybe throw on the SPDs. For the most part I'm fine with the heavier Marathons, especially when on dirt roads and don't mind using platform pedals if I'm not in a rush.

It was about 70 miles or so out to the campsite by Ripplebrook Ranger Station. This morning I woke early and headed back towards Estacada but decided to explore a Forest Service Rd that could bring me back around to Estacada a different way. It was a beautiful narrow paved FS road that just kept climbing and climbing. Unfortunately, after about 10 miles snow started appearing on the road, finally covering the road. I couldn't see how long it lasted so I had some cereal and descended back the way I had come and back to Estacada via Hwy 224.

I'm really very happy with my LHT and am looking forward to more bike camping in July as I work up to a 10 day tour in August. Plans for the Aug tour aren't finalized yet. Me and a buddy may head up to Rainer through Gifford Pinchot NF or we may take a train up to Whitefish, MT and ride back or just loop around up there. We toured 2yrs ago averaging 80+ miles a day and are hoping to something similar this year.

Here's some pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0242.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0244.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0256.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0267.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0272.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0303.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0307.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0308.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    The one thing I'd consider changing might be the racks. While the NRs are... well... nice, they're a bit overbuilt for my needs. I'd maybe like to try out the Tubus Duo or the Salsa Down Under rack later this summer, especially when the weather is nicer and I don't need a tent.
    I really like the Tubus Duo. I can carry 30# of apples in panniers on the front and the bike just sucks it up.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Looks like the Duo racks mount up perfectly on the LHT. I like the idea of using them rather than a Tara as the Tara seems to limit the size of the front tire you can use. I kind of doubt I could run a Tara with a Schwalbe 700x47 tire.

You running a Cargo rear rack? I feel like the rear NR is also a bit overbuilt but adjustable which is nice if swapping between bikes or worried about height of platform.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes I started with the cargo and then added the duo later. The cargo is not as universally adjustable as the nice rack, it doesn't have those sliding posts to the dropout eyelet. They make separate models for 26" and 700c.

Also, the cargo has rear struts that angle together toward the top, so you couldn't for instance use one with endomorph tires. But it fits around my big apples just fine!

mtbr member

Another extended overnight camping trip.

I went out for another extended overnight camping trip on the LHT. This time I went out about 100 miles or so from Portland to Breitenbush. I carried the load primarily on the rear for this trip. I was really surprised how well the LHT handled even with most of the weight on the rear. Still, I'll most likely ride with panniers up front for my tour in Aug and put a stuff sack on the rear rack's platform. I also picked up an Ortlieb handlebar bag making for easy access to camera and snacks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0320.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0331.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0353.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-dscn0366.jpg  

mtbr member

Fenders?

[/QUOTE]

What fenders are those?
    I believe the LHT is a 26" version.
    I'm looking for some nice looking 26" full coverage fenders.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Long haul observation.
    I have used a LHT as my primary bike for a little over 2 years. I have been doing a ride that takes me two hours in sneakers on a LHT with fenders, racks and handlebar bags.

I decided to try my road bike today, it is a sub 20lbs bike, clipless etc...

The difference in the route was 5 minutes total. Which sounds like a lot, but I would rather have a handlebar bag and the ability to walk around. Might be selling the road bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tommignon View Post
    What fenders are those?
    I believe the LHT is a 26" version.
    I'm looking for some nice looking 26" full coverage fenders.
    Those are Planet Bike Cascadia fenders, the ATB version. They are just the best fenders for the kind of weather I have to deal with.

mtbr member
    Thanks
    Here is my version of the Long haul trucker.
    Before and after.
    I added the water bottle holders to DT underside and both fork legs. Then powder coated the frame and was amazed how much it looked like a LHT. I like it.
    I want some good fenders like yours. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-catalog-photo.jpg  

Long Haul Truckers...-photo-3-.jpg  

Abby Normal

RMNP extended overnighter

Me and a buddy rode from Loveland CO up to Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, camped at the Moraine Park campground. Only 40 or so miles one way, but with a fair bit of climbing. I went ghetto touring style - el cheapo aluminum racks front and back and a milk crate. At some point I'll invest in some nicer racks and bags but this setup actually worked really well. Front end was a little wobbly in strong cross winds on the (fast) descent back home, but nothing too bad. I maybe had 35lbs of stuff total. After we setup camp in the park we rode the few miles back to town, bought a cheap styrofoam cooler, beer, steaks, etc.

My buddy on the other hand must have had 90lbs (including all his ski gear). He had an epiphany about halfway up Hwy 34 regarding the 'light is right' philosophy. More so after I took over BOB duties for the steepest sections of road...

mtbr member
    My LHT:

Pictures 546

First configuration: Touring

IMG_0740

Second configuration: About town/errand bike

I love both configs and also use the Duo front rack for touring. The LHT is a well designed bike, imo.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    I <3 this setup.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast