Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy Marx View Post
    It's time to revamp the ol trucker as it hasn't seen much action lately.

Has anyone added disc tabs to their old original LHT? I got mine before the DT existed and am thinking about getting a local builder to add tabs. Anyone have pics?
    Thanks!
    Bad idea. The non-disc LHT isn't designed for the torsional stress of disc brakes. I'd suggest buying a DT fork and running a mullet with a good V-brake in the back. Or pony up for a full DT frame set.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy Marx View Post
    It's time to revamp the ol trucker as it hasn't seen much action lately.

Has anyone added disc tabs to their old original LHT? I got mine before the DT existed and am thinking about getting a local builder to add tabs. Anyone have pics?
    Thanks!
    I am interested in this too. I have the same situation with my Trucker. I ride my Ogre now the most, a lot of it having to do with that I like the discs on it for braking power during my commutes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Good Morning Everybody!! I had a pedal strip out on me on my last ride (strange to walk back on the road to pick up bikes parts!!) and it totally stripped out the threads on my drive side crank arm. So, time to replace the crankset as it has about 12K miles on it. I am looking for some advice from everybody. Should I also replace the BB?? I have had no issues with the BB, but same as the crankset, original set up, 12 K miles. Any thoughts on brands??? Not sure what the stock LHT build was when I got this complete bike in 2008. I see their current complete bike build is a Shimano UN-55 BB and an Andel crankset. What are anybody's thoughts? I am no hurry because like most of us I have other bikes to ride so I can do some shopping although I have a little tour planned for September to loop up over Trail Ridge Road-Walden-Chambers Pass-Poudre Canyon.
    Thanks for your help!!
    Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bangs View Post
    So, time to replace the crankset as it has about 12K miles on it. I am looking for some advice from everybody. Should I also replace the BB??
    If it's the stock BB and has 12K miles on it I'd replace it while I had the crank off.

If you are feeling frugal once you have the crank off rotate the BB spindle by hand. You should be able to feel it if it's starting to wear out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Wow, how did it strip the threads? Is your pedal seized? I agree with above you should replace the BB, as they're cheap. If you've got money burning holes in your pockets, Phil would be a good upgrade, but bang/buck goes to Shimano.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bangs View Post
    Any thoughts on brands??? Not sure what the stock LHT build was when I got this complete bike in 2008.
    Mine came w/ this crankset in 07, I love it.

The crankarm alone seems pretty cheap, just $40-ish. (I assume those tandem ones could just be flipped around, so you would use the left-front on the right of your bike)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post

The crankarm alone seems pretty cheap, just $40-ish. (I assume those tandem ones could just be flipped around, so you would use the left-front on the right of your bike)
    I'm planning to upgrade my Deore/External BB to a Sugino double/square-taper BB, although I really want a White Industries crankset.

To the OP, bottom brackets are matched to specific cranksets so you'll have to pick a crankset that will work well with your current BB or you can just buy a new BB to get one that is compatible, if you find a crankset you want. My experience is that square taper cartridges last a LONG time, for someone who doesn't ride thousands of miles a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post

I believe you cannot use a left-hand tandem crank arm to the right or vice versa as the pedal thread directions are different.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks everybody for the thoughts. I was shopping and found a crankset on sale at Jensen. Shimano Deore 9speed with the BB included. I had a coupon so got the price to $85 for the whole package. So, problem solved.

stremf, I am not sure how it happened to start but I think I helped it along. I had just climbed through some steep hills on the ride through Horsetooth Resevoir where you have to stand and really torque. After the downhill there was a little wobble so I got off and tried to tighten it all back up so I could limp on back to my truck. It just spun in the crank arm and you know that sinking feeling that you probably just made it worse??? Sure enough it was really wobbly and I was pedalling one footed with my right foot just resting on the pedal, and, after about two miles...off it flew!!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    I believe you cannot use a left-hand tandem crank arm to the right or vice versa as the pedal thread directions are different.
    You are right. Some folks used a Heli coil and retapped them. Personally it is not worth the trouble unless the tandem crank is free.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    This has been a good thread to look through. Almost 6 years of LHT-love. Six years is how long I've been riding mine, and I've been thinking about a change. I'm still thinking about it, but after reading through this, I think the LHT frame may get stashed in a closet for a while rather than resold, just to make sure I haven't made a big mistake.

Would a kind soul (or souls) measure the seat tube on a 56 and 58, from the BB to the top of the TT and to the seat collar? May sound silly, but trying to determine how much seat post I'll have showing with those sizes. Thanks.

mtbr member
    On my 58, I get almost 610 mm, although that includes the seat post collar. I would say the seat post extends about 60 mm above the center of the top tube which is presumably where Surly takes their measurements, although 610-60 does not equal 580.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    By the way, did you cut your steer tube or it is the max height that you can be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Finally remembered to look at the steer tube while doing some re-cabling. It's uncut, 45mm of spacers plus stem.

mtbr member
    My Trucker, lots of miles on it. Would like a 26" disc Trucker.

wet crossing, Nabesna road, Wrangle St Elias National Park, Alaska. Usually, for this duty, I usually my Fargo with 50mm wide tires on snow cat rims.\
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-lht-nabesna.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Out for a ride on the weekend with my son (4).
    Only had the day so we hit the dirt roads and tracks along the far north of Scotlands flow country out to the remote train station of Altnabreac. We dont live too far away so it was a good ride to eat our sandwiches and snacks for lunch, take some detours and try and dodge the rain. LHT and Yepp seat handled like on rails.
    Jamie

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Good thread, I went through the whole thing which gave me serious itch for an LHT.
    Then went to my LBS for a look and remarkably they had a khakis pants 52cm in the store. I size for a 54cm. They called around the country (Thailand ) and found one. I pulled the trigger and it will be here Wednesday.
    Ordered fenders, racks, big apple tires, and some elegant Nitto Bosco open handlebars with cork grips from Rivendell.
    I'll post some pics when I get it put together.

mtbr member
    My blue velvet 26er LHT:

Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390109.885734.jpg

Waiting on VO fenders and a rear rack to finish her up for commuter duties.

The tinkerer in me tried out 700c wheels and it's looking to be promising:

Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390361.531723.jpg

32mm vittoria randonneurs with a ton of clearance:

Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390489.649218.jpg
    Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390512.168215.jpg
    Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390533.572322.jpg

No toe overlap!

Long Haul Truckers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1439390574.075646.jpg

The paul motolites made this experiment possible, though setting up the pads high on the arms has resulted in less mechanical advantage, just a little less of what I'm used to in a typical vbrake setup.

Did a quick spin around the block, no feeling of a thrown-off geometry, stability is still there. Would want to try it out on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Trip to Orkney

I had Thursday off work and had planned to take my son across to Orkney for a overnight trip round the island. Unfortunately the weather forecast and the complete lack of any sort of accomodation for the Thursday night meant we went loaded for an overnight trip just in case we could get anything last minute. In the end we couldn't but the forecast got pretty grim as the day went on so we just made a long day of it.
    We set off at 6 to get the first ferry across from Scrabster on the mainland and returned on the last one in the evening to arrive home for about 8pm. A long day, especially for a 4 year old, though he had a ball as he wanted to go back the next day.
    We did the usual tourist spots on a casual loop of the north of the isles, Skara Brea, Ring of Brodgar etc. Weather was great and quite warm for up here. Great riding and as with normal with the little one onboard there is always an excuse for an ice cream stop.
    Trucker ran faultlessly as usual and handled great even with the Yepp seat.
    Just thought I'd share another fine LHT ride.

Jamie

mtbr member
    I stripped my poor Trucker to get my Troll up and running. I'll likely build it up again as I'm able to replace the parts I took. Pulled out my earliest photo and my two most recent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Got Mr Khakipants, set up with some big apples and some goodies from Rivendell.
    This is my first Surly and am impressed how nice it is. While I don't really care for the color the finish is very high quality.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Looks good. The colours seem to grow on you after a while.

mtbr member

LHT as Enduro bike?

The LHT isn't referenced but seems relevant. Figured I'd post this up here. I realize it's a few months old. The Rat Trap Pass tire seems like it would be perfect for the LHT/DT. Anyone tried them?

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/...-allroad-bike/

Link for Rat Trap Pass tires:
    https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/26...rat-trap-pass/
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I used to follow the RBW Owner's Bunch but just sorta lost interest last year. They're a nice group of folks. Lost interest in that group over the past year.

Your DT looks great. I love my 700c Trucker but still wish I had gotten the 26" model.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I used to follow the RBW Owner's Bunch but just sorta lost interest last year. They're a nice group of folks. Lost interest in that group over the past year.

Your DT looks great. I love my 700c Trucker but still wish I had gotten the 26" model.

26" is the way to go on the LHT. I debated for two years on what to buy and I finally settled on an old Karate Monkey frameset but I would still like to pick up a LHT. I just really want a 26" balloon tire bike.

mtbr member
    Well, with the Karate Monkey you can have an even more awesome 29" balloon bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hello everyone,
    I have a bunch of xt level mtb parts with Mavic Crossmax ST 26" wheels to move over and am stuck between a 26" 54cm maroon LHT Disc frameset for $474 or a Specialized AWOL frameset for $550 plus new wheels. Any advice? What made you all choose the LHT?

Also, I had a 56cm LHT a few years ago that I enjoyed but ended up selling as it was a tad too big so moved those parts over to a 54cm Crosscheck. I didn't like the "ride" of the crosscheck as much as the LHT so sold the whole bike.

(I'm 5'10.5ish) Any advice appreciated thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BleepBlp View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have a bunch of xt level mtb parts with Mavic Crossmax ST 26" wheels to move over and am stuck between a 26" 54cm maroon LHT Disc frameset for $474 or a Specialized AWOL frameset for $550 plus new wheels. Any advice? What made you all choose the LHT?

Also, I had a 56cm LHT a few years ago that I enjoyed but ended up selling as it was a tad too big so moved those parts over to a 54cm Crosscheck. I didn't like the "ride" of the crosscheck as much as the LHT so sold the whole bike.

(I'm 5'10.5ish) Any advice appreciated thanks!
    I chose the LHT mostly for the 26" tires I like.(26◊2.15 big apples) That and the LHT makes for a good platform for an upright riding position. The reputation for load carrying sturdiness was also a consideration.
    The AWOL looks nice but it hasn't been around long enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Those Compass tires sound interesting, but I think the 26" LHT maxes out at about 2.1", doesn't it? I don't think they'll fit, unless they are undersized. But Jan usually lists his tires by their actual size.

Two things to add: 1) I'm running 38mm Compass Barlow Pass tires on my CC, and they are indeed fantastic tires. The supple casing, high volume tire thing is legit. 2) LHT's are great "endure all-road" bikes, with or without Compass tires.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What made you decide on the 26" wheels? I'm right on the cusp of 54cm and 56cm so I could go either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake January View Post
    I chose the LHT mostly for the 26" tires I like.(26◊2.15 big apples) That and the LHT makes for a good platform for an upright riding position. The reputation for load carrying sturdiness was also a consideration.
    The AWOL looks nice but it hasn't been around long enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What made you decide on the 26" wheels? I'm right on the cusp of 54cm and 56cm so I could go either way.
    I'm right in between frame sizes also and my desicion was largely subjective(I opted for the 54cm). I have newish 29er mtb and an old 26" mtb. When I put the big apples on the 26" bike I now ride it more. Also the world traveler aspect of the 26" tire apealed because I live out in the boonies in Thailand and do wander around some remote places.....
    But that said after doing a bunch of reading on the Rivendell site and Grant Peterson discussion on traditional frame sizing and how many folks tend to buy a frame that's too small.
    My next bike will probably be a 57 or 59cm Rivendell frame and 700c wheels. Going by the old school frame sizing guide.
    So I guess what I'm saying is you can't go wrong either way. Both will be great bikes. The LHT is very good bike for the money.
    People say that it's slow but I'm able to keep up with the spandex road bike boys. Those big apples roll really nicely.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What are your measurements if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5'10.5 with a 32.75 inseam (standover measurement I believe). I had a 56cm 26" LHT back when it first came out and it (or at least the top tube length) felt big to me. I'm not sure if that's do to using drop bars or not, hence me looking into the 54cm. The mtb I have is a 26" as well so I planned on moving over as much of the parts as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake January View Post
    I'm right in between frame sizes also and my desicion was largely subjective(I opted for the 54cm). I have newish 29er mtb and an old 26" mtb. When I put the big apples on the 26" bike I now ride it more. Also the world traveler aspect of the 26" tire apealed because I live out in the boonies in Thailand and do wander around some remote places.....
    But that said after doing a bunch of reading on the Rivendell site and Grant Peterson discussion on traditional frame sizing and how many folks tend to buy a frame that's too small.
    My next bike will probably be a 57 or 59cm Rivendell frame and 700c wheels. Going by the old school frame sizing guide.
    So I guess what I'm saying is you can't go wrong either way. Both will be great bikes. The LHT is very good bike for the money.
    People say that it's slow but I'm able to keep up with the spandex road bike boys. Those big apples roll really nicely.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What are your measurements if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5'10.5 with a 32.75 inseam (standover measurement I believe). I had a 56cm 26" LHT back when it first came out and it (or at least the top tube length) felt big to me. I'm not sure if that's do to using drop bars or not, hence me looking into the 54cm. The mtb I have is a 26" as well so I planned on moving over as much of the parts as possible.
    I'm nearly the same measurements, 5'10" 32", actual PBH 86cm. The LBS where I bought the LHT sized me for the 54cm. There is plenty of room for me to stand over the top tube. I could easily stand over a 56cm frame also.
    I am also 59 years old with a long history of creaky back and neck pains, which influenced the smaller frame choice.
    I knew I wasn't going to use the drop bars and went to the oposite extreme of the 58cm Nitto Bosco handlebars. Problem with them is the clearance for bar end shifters isn't ideal. I have some Albatross bars on order and am thinking those will be the happy medium and keep the original bar end shifters,which work very nicely.
    I suppose I've been drinking the Rivendell kool-aid a bit, that and having spent a few weeks riding around Holland has shifted my thinking towards the traditional old-school approach. Most of the Dutch people ride on these huge framed steel bikes.
    Apparently there is more than one school of thought about this frame size issue.
    I think there is much validity in the Rivendell school of thought. I've read on another forum how Rivendell was a significant influence in the advent of the Surly bicycles and that the LHT is very similar to some Rivendell frames for a fraction of the money.

mtbr member
    There's a Long Haul Trucker/Crosscheck Google group where they maintain a spreadsheet of different rider sizes and the frame size they chose. Might be worth checking out: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/surlylht

I'm 5' 10" with a pant inseam of 32 (I can't remember my actual PBH). When sizing, I also knew I wouldn't be using drop bars, and I like a bigger frame. I got the 58cm/700c version, and I was always happy with the fit. Ran Albatross bars and 135mm stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Over the years, I've learned to size a bike by effective top-tube length, assuming I can stand over the top-tube. I'm 5'11" with a PBH in the mid-80's (it's hard to measure accurately) but I know from experience that a bike with a 73 degree seat-tube and a 57cm ETT works really well for me with flat handlebars. Based on that, I would buy a 56cm LHT and expect to get a near perfect fit on the first try. I might even be able to ride a 58cm model but I like fat tires and stand-over clearance would become a concern.

If I were to run drop bars, then the 57cm ETT would be too long for me and I don't know if a short stem would be enough to make it work so I would have to consider a 54cm in that case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Howdy long haul truckers - my LHT turned seven years young this month. Still going strong. Here we are hitched up and ready to haul some chilluns'.

Long Haul Truckers...-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Being stationed in Germany, I've decided to purchase a Patria Touros. I've test ridden several and the ride quality and attention to detail is stunning. Does anyone else have any experience(s) with Patria?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That Patria looks like a fine bike, probably better than an LHT. Lugged steel frames rock.

I'm looking at the Thorn Nomad for next summer's EU jaunt. Pick it up in the UK.
    The Thorn frame is made in Taiwan, very likely the same factory as the Surly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Yesterdays ride

A few pics from a ride out yesterday into the flow country here in the north of Scotland. Nice day, sunny, cool breeze and a bit of single lane tarmac and some gravel grinding. As usual the Trucker takes it all in its stride. If my trunk bag looks like its sitting high that's because it is. I left the additional top rack for my sons Yepp seat still attached.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Long Haul Trucker

Slow moving thread this one
    I was out last weekend down to the Black Isle. Some road and a fair bit of off road. Some very narrow tracks and some really nice wide forestry stuff. My friend Brian was looking out some ancient monuments such as Brochs, Duns, Iron age forts etc. Lovely weather and as you can see from my previous post, there were trees
    Finished well into darkness by the time we got back to Brians. It actually caught us out a bit but not a problem.
    Just thought I would share a few pics.

Jamie

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Tanglefoot Trail in Mississippi, going through the cotton fields:

Long Haul Truckers...-21231247455_22e8fea882_b.jpg

I'm 5' 10" and most pants 31" or 32" inseam, PBH is about 81 or so. The steerer is uncut and the stem is maxed out with spacers bringing the top of the bars about 1.5" higher than the saddle. That's a 54cm bike, with a 300mm steerer. I believe if you get a 56cm bike, the steerer jumps up to 350mm.

I'm almost 50 and my back just not too flexible. I don't think it looks too goofy with the amount of spacers on it now. You can click on the pic to see the stem/spacers a little better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi jonc123,
    Your setup looks good to me, not goofy at all. My blue on in the post above has a fair old stack of spacers, you can see clearly in one of the pics. This was meant to be a starting point when originally built, but it works great as it is. I thought mine looked goofy originally, especially as its a 46cm, but now, not so much. Truckers are many great things and fashion accessory, thankfully isn't one of them

Jamie

Jamie

mtbr member

The more the merrier!

My LHT.

mtbr member

Tire size and bars.

I go through periods of getting myself worked up and believing I need things I might not need. I've recently been entertaining thoughts of a drop bar all-road bike but that could accommodate a 2.0 tire. I'd been thinking about a Fargo or even an Ogre. But then I was out on my LHT which I've ridden a fair amount off road, loaded and unloaded. I started thinking, and reviewed this thread, and I think before I do anything about a new frame and a shuffling of parts, I'll maybe first try my LHT off road (dirt roads, not singletrack) with some Cowbells and some larger tires. I might have what I'm looking for right in front of me.

So yeah, I'm thinking some Cowbells and maybe Big Bens or even heavy ass Marathons.

These tires aren't available yet but seem like they might actually be perfect:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=76951

I gotta say, my LHT really is my sentimental favorite of my bikes, even over my CC which I've had 9 years.

mtbr member

Long Haul Truckers...

When sometimes you get bored, reinvent. That's the hidden beauty of a Surly. I feel you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

My sister in law got a nice carbon road bike recently. Probably 1/2 the weight of my wife's trucker. So I asked, do you want a road bike? "Why?" Came the reply. "I love my bike." She does everything with it. Road rides. Errand runs. Kid hauling. Just gotta convince her to get some 2.1" tires for it to go bike packing with me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    dfltroll, I too get worked up for the next thing and then usually I ride and realize that I am all good. I have an LHT and an Ogre and for me it was all I needed. Then the fat bike thing came along and at first I ignored it, telling myself "you really do not need this"
    But I fell prey to my emotions and got one. Now six months later, I was originally right, "you really do not need this".
    I will give it a chance this winter for some snow riding but it might become a hand-me-down to one of my sons.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Swapped out my Drops for riser.

mtbr member
    Apparently ET tires are in stock. Anyone planning to try them in their LHT or DT? I doubt the tire will fit in the rear but if it did... what an awesome set-up that would make.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast