Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Your bike looks great and I hope you put pictures and a story up about your ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have an LHT and it is the best bike I have ever owned, bar none.

I've run it with an Ultegra group, I've run it with Deore XT, with SRAM + bar ends. On 25c Marathons and 47c Big Apples. It's been with me in Portugal, Germany, the Czech Republic and Denmark. I've hauled office chairs with it, I ride it to the store in shorts and flip-flops... and I've gotten a few Strava KOMs on it. Hell, I rode it for a good few km of Portuguese beaches too.

It's easily the greatest bike I've ever owned, much more comfortable than an aluminium MTB with a Bomber fork.

I'll post pictures later - came to the forum looking for info about fenders - but seeing this thread got me all sentimental.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No big tours lately for my Trucker, just some local type miles. Lately not much time so have just been grabbing it when I can, sometimes by myself, sometimes with my boy and sometimes just hooking up with anyone looking for a few hours riding.
    I love this thread, looking at everyones Truckers in nice places and reading their stories.
    Just thought I'd share a couple of pics.
    Happy trails guys

Jamie

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

My new partner

Long Haul Truckers...-image.jpgMy new traveling companion! Planning a month long tour this summer. Now I have to decide, Trucker or Ogre. Thanks to all the previous posters for the build inspirations. This set up is incredibly comfortable and ready for adventure!

Long Haul Truckers...-image.jpg
    Long Haul Truckers...-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Had my LHT for almost 5 years now and the paint was looking a little ratty in places so I stripped it down and had it powder-coated from this

to this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elduderino12 View Post
    Had my LHT for almost 5 years now and the paint was looking a little ratty in places so I stripped it down and had it powder-coated from this

That looks great. Love the LHT.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Two questions for all the LHT owners:

A) with a 18t cog and a 32 or 36t ring, can you get the chain anywhere near a "magic gear" tension? Not looking for overall singlespeed performance but only for a bailout solution in case of derailleur failure.

B) which one would you prefer offroad, 700c with 45mm tire or 26" with 2.1 tire?

Thanks

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    how serious of offroad riding are you talking about? for gravel grinding sort of riding the 700c would be fine but for anything more serious I'd choose the 26" given those two as an option... but if it's true off roading neither is very good with the low BB height and I'd choose either the Ogre or Troll (Ogre for me as i'm partial to 29er) over the LHT, it would also fix the question of running SS.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ze - I don't know if LHT has a magic gear, but between the 3 rings in front and 9 or 10 gears in the back, I'm sure you could find some combo that would work to get you back to civilization. Carry a half-link, if you're really worried about it. Also, you know the derailleur hanger on the LHT is steel, which means its bendable. So you could carry a screwdriver or something to lever the hanger back into alignment if you wack it good (I'm assuming that's what you're concerned about).

On the 26" vs. 700c question, the conventional wisdom use to be that the 26" works better for offroad since it'll fit "real" mountain bike tires. However, the latest crop of 700c gravel grinding tires has changed that calculus, IMO. With a set of 43mm Bruce Gordon Rock n' Roads or 40mm Clement X'Plor MSO's, you'd be all set for anything but the roughest trails. While the LHT would not be the best choice extensive off-road bikepacking, I think it will handle the occasional foray just fine, especially if you are not opposed to "hike-a-biking" here and there.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    I've ridden my Disc Trucker on everything from smooth asphalt to single track and find 40c tires was the best compromise for multi-terrain situations. The geometry on my 56cm frame is similar to my first MTB ('87 Diamondback Topanga) but with a lower bottom bracket. I felt the handling was a little sketchy in rough sections but doable. I ended up buying a Ogre for my rides involving single track and put 35c tires on the trucker which still see's gravel roads but no more rough stuff, after all it is a touring bike.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the answers,

Regarding the magic gear, I ask because I have the habit to carry a 18t bolt on fixed gear cog. It makes up for drivetrain and brake problems, and believe me or not, has saved me more than once.
    Using an online magic-gear calculator I've found that a 44-18 should be near perfect on the LHT! Problem solved.

About the tires, my original plan was to set it up with 40 or 45mm Smart Sams for general use. By offroad I mean dirt tracks and some singletrack. I dont expect it to be an enduro bike on singletrack, just to be capable enough to clear it.

Like many before me, I am terribly splited between the Cross Check and the LHT.
    The CC seems to be more capable offroad with a taller bb, and overall zipier like a true cyclocross bike, but the LHT seems stouter and comfier. By the way, I weight almost 200lbs, and sometimes (not often) carry some weight on the racks.
    Decisions....decisions. ...

mtbr member

Camping barge.

Heading out next week for 4 days to ride the OR Old West Scenic Bikeway. And more. Should be fun. Just put on a new cassette, chain and rings. Also finally had the Mavic A719 rims I had been sitting on for over a year build up on an old pair of XT hubs. Added the Pletscher twin leg kickstand and the Schwalbe Marathons and I'm good to go. I'll take the front rack off before the trip as I'll only be using rear panniers. I love this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long Haul Truckers...-image.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    The CC seems to be more capable offroad with a taller bb, and overall zipier like a true cyclocross bike, but the LHT seems stouter and comfier.
    That's pretty much what it comes down to. I have the CC because I do more spirited dirt rides with no load. Also running singlespeed. If I were to do more touring, I'd go trucker for sure. They will both handle the other fairly well, so I'd say you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help.

My biggest fear with the LHT is the very low BB.
    The thing is, I like a low bb on a mtb frame. The rigid frame with the better handling at the rough stuff I ever had was a Singular Swift, which had a bb drop of over 70mm with the EBB on the lowest setting. I quite liked the "in the bike" feeling.

However, with the LHT I intend to also ride it with 35mm cyclocross tires, which I fear would lower the bb to dangerous levels on the trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've ridden both the CC and LHT off road with 45mm tires and, I may be in the minority here, but I preferred the LHT. Yes, the CC was more spritely and maneuverable. However, neither was as capable (obviously) as a proper mountain bike. The Trucker definitely felt more planted and was "carvey" in the turns due to that low BB. I don't find the low BB to be a problem except in extremely rough terrain, deep ruts or a highly kanted trails on the side of a hill. But I'm not opposed to hike-a-biking on occasion. The LHT also has less toe overlap (both 58cm frames w 700c tires), which I find to be a bigger deal off road than on. I should add that I usually ride at a modest clip and was not trying to set KOM records on the LHT.

Of course, the Ogre and Troll are Surly's off road tourers, though both of those frames are based on more pure mountain bike geometry and don't sound like quite what you're looking for. If I wanted a bike similar to the LHT, but with more off road capability, I would give a serious look at the Velo Orange Camargue. If you can find a Gen 1 Salsa Fargo, that would be a great option too.

mtbr member
    Thank you very much,

I'm not looking for a true mtb, just trying to have some fun at the trails sometimes.

Did you find the riding position of the LHT much more comfortable than on the CC?
    Any pics of your bikes?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thank you very much,

I'm not looking for a true mtb, just trying to have some fun at the trails sometimes.

Did you find the riding position of the LHT much more comfortable than on the CC?
    The LHT will have a more upright position, but depends on what you find more comfortable.

One other option to consider: I also have a 650b randonneur bike with 42mm tires. Actually does well off road and if I had a bit fatter 650b x 50mm tires, would ride well on the trails. So consider a 26" Disc Trucker and slap on 650b wheels. That will raise the BB a bit and give you the ability to go with a fatter tire than the 700c version. For road only rides, tires like a Grand Bois Hetre, Compass or Soma offerings will offer a cushy road ride with low rolling resistance.

By the way, some guy did the Tour Divide last year on a fixed gear Disc Trucker. (Drew Mcintosh) Pretty cool.

One more thing to add: I do like the longer (normal sized) head tube on the LHT. CC has a tiiiny head tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sure! Here's the CC:

Long Haul Truckers...-photo-3-.jpg

Here's the LHT:
    Long Haul Truckers...-monstertrucker-2.jpg

I don't have them configured like this anymore. Those are the same tires on both bikes. As said above, the LHT gets the bars up higher, which is important offroad as you will want to use the drops as the main hand position. For that reason, I found the LHT more comfortable. Sure the LHT has longer chainstays and that's supposed to smooth out the ride. But, as they say, "rigid is rigid", so I'm not sure that made a big difference to the "butt-in-seat" feel. I did much prefer the Brooks Flyer (the one with the springs) to the B17 when riding offroad, but that is of course a set up issue and has nothing to do with the frames.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help guys.

It's ridiculous, I've never been so undecided between two bikes before.

The Cross Check seems to be a versatile bike, and looks to be great fun on the trails with both 45mm or even 35mm CX tires.

The LHT however has a special appeal, it just looks like the ultimate "throw anything at it", do everything with confidence, utility SHTF proof bike.

Here are some LHTs that make me drool (authors of the pics, feel free to ask me to remove the images):

Long Haul Truckers...-092910a1-1000.jpg

Long Haul Truckers...-001.jpgLong Haul Truckers...-large_sdim0195.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help guys.

It's ridiculous, I've never been so undecided between two bikes before.

The Cross Check seems to be a versatile bike, and looks to be great fun on the trails with both 45mm or even 35mm CX tires.

The LHT however has a special appeal, it just looks like the ultimate "throw anything at it", do everything with confidence, utility SHTF proof bike.
    If you are a heavier rider and/or you are going to load up your LHT a lot it's a great bike. I've owned two both the 700c and 26" versions.

If you are not going to ride loaded often and you aren't a cylde it's a tank that I don't think rides all that great unloaded.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I weight close to 195/200lbs unequipped.
    Most of my riding is going to be unloaded, but I want it to perform when the time comes

mtbr member
    I really want an LHT. Right now I've got a 1997 hardrock that effectively does what the 26" lht would do. I may still be able to convince myself to pick up a 26" frameset to swap parts to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    I really want an LHT. Right now I've got a 1997 hardrock that effectively does what the 26" lht would do. I may still be able to convince myself to pick up a 26" frameset to swap parts to.
    If you're looking for new, bicycleoutfittersindy has a 25% off sale going on right now. $350 shipped. Use coupon july4sale. I think ends Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, exactly! That's probably why I've hung on to mine for so long, although I have been very tempted to trade it in on an Ogre at times. And now the VO Camargue is beckoning. But, I'll probably keep the Trucker. It just does everything I want and need it to at this point in my life. Oh yeah, here's happy snap of how it looks now:
    Long Haul Truckers...-trucker1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    bolandjd - that is a bomber set up. Probably exactly how I'd set it up minus mustache bars and 700c wheels. I've got that same trailer as well. Except the built in front wheels yours has.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast