mtbr member
    Nov 2013

little spacers for rear wheel-OGRE-do they work?

Im building an OGRE. I put on 2inch tires.(50mm) They did not fit with the deraileur, and so I installed these little plastic doo-hickeys that came with the frame. They add a shim so the tire fits. But they look really flakey and are attached with this teeny-tiny little sheet metal screw. Is this supposed to take the OGRE is famous for? They look like they will snap out on the first gravel road.
    Any experience with these?
    Wht say 'Fatties-Fit-Fine' if they dont? My REI bike has more clearance.

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the Monkey Nuts?
    Small Parts | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

They're aluminum, not plastic. If you tighten down your hub correctly, there should be minimal pressure on their stress points (i.e., screws).

I'm betting you are having clearance issues with the front derailleur. This is more of an issue with your derailleur than with the frame. Swapping to a direct-mount derailleur and using the adapter provided with your frame or from Problem Solvers will eliminate any issues between the front derailleur and your tires... all the way up to 2.5"!

Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WildEMT View Post
    Are you talking about the Monkey Nuts?
    Small Parts | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

They're aluminum, not plastic. If you tighten down your hub correctly, there should be minimal pressure on their stress points (i.e., screws).

I'm betting you are having clearance issues with the front derailleur. This is more of an issue with your derailleur than with the frame. Swapping to a direct-mount derailleur and using the adapter provided with your frame or from Problem Solvers will eliminate any issues between the front derailleur and your tires... all the way up to 2.5"!

Best of luck!
    OK, Ill look into what you said. I am pretty frustrated. The tire does not clear the rear deraileur, so maybe Ill try a different one. Yes, aluminum , not plastic. They still look flimsy, but I understand what you mean about installing the quick release correctly, it should not actually bear on that surface.
    It just seems if they snap, you are sort of out of commission. But maybe not--I have little experience and Surly has lots of experience.

mtbr member
    Rear derailleur clearance issues? Snap a pic or two (if you can)... what's it hitting against?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I don't know that I have ever herd of anyone having any real problems with Monkey Nuts. Mine and my roommates have been fine for years now.

I would guess that the clearance issues are with the front derailer, near the front of the tire. It is pretty tight up there on both the KM and Ogre with a big tire.

mtbr member
    Another quick note: Spares are relatively small and cheap. Grab two from the local LBS and toss them in your toolkit. Light insurance if you are concerned.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yes. I went this morning to take the monkey nuts out and try a different deraileur. Although I remember specifically inserting the thin hex nut as delicatley as I could, it has stripped. I put it in gently, because I was just trying everything to check for fit, but I somehow stripped out the hex hole. This is not instilling me with confidence.
    I have decided to leave them in there for the time being and use the shimano FD-M590 deraileur that I have on there. Especially after reading Big-Papa-Nut on having no issues.
    I bought a Surly because it is the most bad-ass machine I could afford. I bought only the frameset because I need to learn bike mechanics. I bought it to make one of the epic journeys that Surly is famous for. Im sure it will all work out. Im just still inexperienced in bike mechanics.

mtbr member
    When I adjusted my Moonlander rear wheel towards the rear to improve stability and weight distribution in the snow, I could't justify buying Monkey Nuts so I just put two 10 mm hex nuts in front of the axle. They do the same thing at a fraction of the cost, will stay put when everything is together but need to be minded when removing the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    When I adjusted my Moonlander rear wheel towards the rear to improve stability and weight distribution in the snow, I could't justify buying Monkey Nuts so I just put two 10 mm hex nuts in front of the axle. They do the same thing at a fraction of the cost, will stay put when everything is together but need to be minded when removing the rear wheel.
    That is the EXACT answer I was looking for! Thanks. I was looking for someone to have enough experience with bikes and suggest a home remedy. Something that I can bolt on there that wont rattle off and leave me stranded. Ill give that a try this afternoon. Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    OK, Thank you all for the answers, but I just solved my problem. I found another FD-M590 deraileur that is the right size on ebay. The same model number seems to come in two sizes. Thsi is the 'shorter' version'. This one is new off bike, $20 total with the postage. It is the exact one I was going to take off my REI Novara Safari to put on my OGRE. So Ill leave the one on my REI, and put this one on when it comes. Ill be a happy camper with that on the Surly.