mtbr member
    Apr 2012

The lightest a Krampus can be

So, I've got a whole single speed kit I want to build up 29+. The Krampus is the natural choice as everything I have will work on it. I'm wondering what the lightest krampus is out there? And how far you had to go to achieve that. I know, it's a surly with big tires, I shouldn't care. And I don't...really....ok I do, a little bit.

I've got king ss hubs I will likely build into Hugos, carbon cranks, seat post, bars, xt brakes, and a Whisky #9 fork. I'm hoping for mid 20s...sound reasonable?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    As with most bikes it will come down to wheels. I've had my Krampus for two years, and have been running rabbit holes with Knards, ghetto tubeless. They're pretty heavy. I just bought some Nextie jungle foxes, which will save me at least 200 grams per wheel, and some Bontrager Chupacabras, which will save me about 100 per wheel. Kings are fantastic hubs, but pretty heavy. Maybe buy, look to trade for some DT 240s. I think you can hit your goal with some wise choices.

Graveyard Shift
    If you're going all in on weight I'd suggest a Carver Gnarvester. Doesn't take a front derailleur but you'll want a light, slick 1x setup anyways. Their carbon fork takes a max rotor of 160 though, only thing that bothers me about it. If I were going ultralight 29+ that'd be how I'd do it.
    Long is the way, and hard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Look into the Enve Mtb fork. It can take 180 rotors and is one of the lightest fork out there. It will lighten ur wallet too. I just installed it on my 29+ bike.
    Last edited by landho; 02-06-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Human Test Subject
    I got my Moonlander down to 27 something pounds and it's 1x10 with Saint. some 29+ tires are in the 900g area, so a pound lighter than my big fat larrys.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    not that i have ever weighed my mostly stock krampus but it only feels like 27 lbs to me,i could be totally wrong about that though...it seems feasible to me to get it to 25 lbs,im getting a set of velocity duallys on hope hubs and a set of either knard 120 tpi or the chupacabras and that should drop about 400 gms per wheel...

ECR
    carfree
    Sep 2013
    25lb Krampus SS with RH/Knards...
    Krampus Singlespeed

Sub-25lb Krampus SS is a piece of cake, even an 11-speed Krampus can be built-up sub-25lb. Depends on where you are willing to sacrifice weight and what you are willing to spend. An 11-speed Gnarvester with the Enve fork and Chupacabras mentioned above can be built-up sub-20lb and you can also spend over $6k (don't ask me why I know all this)

Graveyard Shift
    Quote Originally Posted by ECR View Post
    25lb Krampus SS with RH/Knards...
    Krampus Singlespeed

Sub-25lb Krampus SS is a piece of cake, even an 11-speed Krampus can be built-up sub-25lb. Depends on where you are willing to sacrifice weight and what you are willing to spend. An 11-speed Gnarvester with the Enve fork and Chupacabras mentioned above can be built-up sub-20lb and you can also spend over $6k (don't ask me why I know all this)
    My favourite thing about this forum is the instant sense of community I get. It's like... yes, I know these people, and they know me.
    Long is the way, and hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Right on, y'all. I think I'll go through with it. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've been wondering the same thing, right now I'm considering building an Al Gnarvester with carbon rims + Chupacabras as a race bike. Is that nuts? I might be nuts. Looks like the tire should fit in the F29 I already own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Lightest Krampus

Don't use this stem; it's heavy. http://cdn.modernbike.com/256/main_IG2126177345.jpg