Thread: LHT or KM?

mtbr member
    what amount of on/off road do you plan to do on it?

Bike Geek

LHT or KM?

I'm selling my alloy 26" HT & thinking of replacing it with either a Long Haul Trucker or Karate Monkey. There is no "need" for either, just an itch to buy something. I had a KM before which i terribly miss & i'm very interested in an LHT. Can't decide...any advice? Suggestions?

FWIW, i have a 26" carbon HT & a Salsa Fargo.

Bike Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    hmmm...can't say. I don't have a dedicated road bike or mtb. I ride what i feel like riding for a certain day. I have rides wherein i do 10% road with 90% trails & vice versa.

mtbr member
    You could buy the LHT frame in 26" set and move the parts over from your hard tail. That'd make a nice rugged commuter/tourer/gravel grinder.

Bike Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    You could buy the LHT frame in 26" set and move the parts over from your hard tail. That'd make a nice rugged commuter/tourer/gravel grinder.
    Thanks slim! That's one of my options. Still trying to figure out which option will cost me less money. I'm being offered a good deal on a built LHT by my LBS so that sits high on my list. My HT has pretty good parts but i might end up spending a little more for buying a new cockpit, shifters, canti brakes, etc. No disc trucker frames available here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    The LHT has a low BB so if by off road you mean gravel/dirt roads that's no issue, but if you mean off roads completely you'll experience pedal strike on rocks and such.

For the later type of riding a higher BB style Surly makes a better choice.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Vik,

Just checked out your webpage. Really cool.

Hank

Bike Geek
    Hey vikb! I get what you're saying. What's making it difficult is my Fargo. It's like a combination of the LHT & KM.

Nice page, by the way.

One more question, If i go for the LHT, what size should i get? I think i would fit a 50 & 52. I'm 5'7 with a 30" inseam, barefoot. My Fargo is a medium. You have a couple of LHTs so im sure you know how they fit, feel & handle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nordstern1 View Post
    One more question, If i go for the LHT, what size should i get? I think i would fit a 50 & 52. I'm 5'7 with a 30" inseam, barefoot. My Fargo is a medium. You have a couple of LHTs so im sure you know how they fit, feel & handle.
    I'd size a LHT based on the effective TT. If your medium Fargo fits you well it has an effective TT of 56.5cm and a 56cm LHT has an effective TT of 57cm which is pretty close. The 54cm LHT has an effective TT of 55.5cm which is 1cm shorter than your Fargo.

A 50cm LHT has an effective TT of 53cm which is quite a bit shorter than your Fargo and that size LHT complete has a 7.5cm stem vs. the 10cm stem on the 56cm LHT/medium Fargo which means overall the reach on the 50cm LHT is way shorter than a medium Fargo complete.

I'm going by the specs on the current Salsa Fargo page...I'm not a Fargo expert so if they've changed the geometry between now and when you bought yours you are safer to measure the TT yourself.

If you have a local Surly dealer chat with them and get their opinion as they size a lot of people on LHTs and they can see you to evaluate the situation better.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Bike Geek
    Yeah, that's how i usually do it, basing size on ETTs, with my mtbs but the LHT is a totally different animal so i'm kinda confused. I would definitely have problems with standover on the 56cm frame. The max frame size i could ride is probably a 54cm. I have adequate clearance with the 50cm that i straddled but i couldn't do a proper fitting because of the super short stem it has on. I'm thinking i could go with a 50cm frame then put on a 100mm stem. Clearance is not too important to me as long as i can still standover the bike. Putting on bigger tires would eliminate the standover clearance on the 50cm.

The Fargo info you saw is for the current models which i have.

I will go back to the LBS & do some more fitting & measurements.

Thanks Vik!

mtbr member
    If you can't get the SO you want from a LHT frame with the Eff TT you need then it's not the right frame for you and I'd look elsewhere. Not every frame suits everybody.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com