mtbr member
    May 2009

LHT 700c widest tires

I hadn't found this anywhere on the web regarding the 700c trucker so I figured I would share.

56cm LHT 700c I fit 29x2.0 tires (622x50). Very little clearance. When run tubeless they would rub on the chain stays as the tire was deflected in corners and over bumps. I have orderd some 29x1.8" (622x45) tires from the same manufacture that should work just fine.

With the 29x2.0 tires.

Excuse the crappy cell phone pic with the cat 5 cable laying on the floor.

mtbr member
    29er tires on a CrossCheck is MonsterCross; what's 29ers on an LHT?

Monster Trucker?

Monster Tour?

mtbr member
    That's interesting, I had assumed 700c LHTs would take a 2.1" 29er tyre. (sure I've seen 26" Truckers with 2.1s on MTBR?)

My Cross-Check's maxed-out with 700x45s.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    2.1s fit fine on a 26" trucker from what I have read, but the 700c is a different animal and all of my searches kept referencing back to 26" truckers. I do quite a few gravel grinders and the nice large tubeless tires are nice. I also want to try some 34c cross tubeless tires on it, but I know those will fit, even with the fenders.

mtbr member
    I've run Schwalbe 700x40 Marathons with SKS fenders on my LHT just fine. I also used some Schwalbe Marathons that say 47 but measure around 42 without fenders. I can't really imagine using anything bigger on the LHT. I think if I need bigger then I need a different bike, a Fargo or something.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree completely, I need a Fargo, a Casserole , a Co-Motion Nor'wester, Stumpjumper Evo 29, and a 5k XC full suspension race bike, but I only had money for the tires and I already had a Long Haul Trucker so that's what I used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Monster Trucker! Oh yeah - looking good!

There used to be multiple "widest tire" threads on here and at the LHT/CC Google Group. Maybe they got deleted or something. Indeed 700 x 45 "fits fine" on the 700c LHT. It'll barely clear the rear (which is probably why your 2.0" tires are rubbing) and have a little mud clearance in the front. I have noticed that the Cross Check has slightly less clearance. The same tires on my CC rub a little in the rear and barely clear the fork.

I'm sure the Fargo is a great bike, but I think the LHT is underrated as an adventure bike. If you can get on with the canti brakes, a "Monster" Trucker will destroy dirt roads and fire trails and hold its own pretty well on some singletrack. Tons of fun. I've never had the oppurtunity to do an offroad tour on my Trucker, but I totally would.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    I haven't had a 700c LHT in quite a few years but ran a few fatties on it and rode some trails. The bontrager 1.85 "29er" tires worked fantastic. I even rode some with Nanoraptors but they were really really tight. It was replaced with a Riv Atlantis which had bookoo tire clearance.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just put some 29 X 1.8" Specialized Renegade Controls on in ghetto tubeless mode and these tires fit with enough clearance for fenders (with some tinkering)!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Rim size?

What type and/or width 700c rims are you guys running on these larger tires?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Stock Alexs Adventurer rims that came with the complete. I think they are 24mm wide? something like that..

mtbr member
    I run Salsa Delgados on all my bikes--LHT,CC, Rivendell and randonneuring bike. They work fine with tires 32mm to 42mm. I've had no problems with them at all.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by system-f View Post
    Stock Alexs Adventurer rims that came with the complete. I think they are 24mm wide? something like that..
    Me too. Ran great with 29 x 1.8" Bonty knobbies.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcallahan View Post
    What type and/or width 700c rims are you guys running on these larger tires?
    Another Salsa Delgado rim user. Not sure how wide they are, maybe 24mm?

I have two sets of these I use on everything from cross bikes to 29ers and haven't had an issue with any tires I've run on them (with the largest being 2.2 Bontrager something or anothers).