Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Let's see your KM builds

631K views 2K replies 430 participants last post by  Dry Pivots 
#1 ·
I'm about ready to order my Dark Black Karate Monkey frame and have been building it up on paper. I couldn't find any one thread with a lot of KM pictures on it, so if you don't mind post up some pics so I can get some ideas. Descriptions too if you want.

Thanks!

#1,686 ·
Nice! What bars are those? It certainly looks lean and fast with those 29ers :)

I went out for a shakedown trailride for a new front rack setup I'm trying out. It's an older Old Man Mountain Sherpa rack I think, I rigged to Blackburn cages to it and it contains my sleeping system for bikepacking.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory

Automotive tire Natural environment Wood Bicycle tire Rim

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Natural environment Tree Forest Old-growth forest Woodland

Vegetation Nature Natural environment Bicycle wheel Plant community

Apologies for the pic overload, I'm also getting familiarized with a new to me camera (Fuji X100T)..

Other specs:
Revelate Tangle framebag (Camera, jacket, bike spares, snacks)
Revelate Pika seatbag (Clothing)
Wolftooth B-Rad system on downtube with a spare tube strap (with levers) and a Rolltop bag containing my first aid kit.

Pretty solid setup, I think I prefer the front rack setup over the Revelate Sweetroll handlebar bag. I feel it's more stable and I like having the bars clear for moving my hands and not having to deal with it getting in the way on more techy singletrack.

#1,689 ·
Hey guys! I'm away from my 2018 KM and would like to order parts to work on it when I'm home this weekend, so I'm hoping you guys can answer a few questions for me if you don't mind.

1) Is the NX crankset self-extracting or will I need to get a puller?

2) For GX Eaglers: I understand that the KM uses a 73mm shell. If I put on a 68/73 DUB Boost Bottom bracket and use a boost rear wheel, will I need to add any spacers to the BB?

3) I'm upgrading the drivetrain to GX Eagle and the wheels to Stan's Arch MK3. I'm also considering swapping out the Level brakes for XT's. Other than that, are there any other parts worth upgrading in terms of performance? I'm considering bars/stem, but I'm not sure if upgrading would be worth it in terms of weight savings and strength.

I'll be sure to post the build up when it's done!

#1,691 ·
H
2) For GX Eaglers: I understand that the KM uses a 73mm shell. If I put on a 68/73 DUB Boost Bottom bracket and use a boost rear wheel, will I need to add any spacers to the BB?
No extra spacers needed on the BB. The difference in chainline is made up with the chainring offset. Depending on what chainring your running it will have either 3 or 6mm of offset. If your running the stock Eagle chainring it should be just fine.

#1,696 · (Edited)
I have been running my Karate Monkey as a MTB with 780 wide bars and a Yari 130mm fork for a year or so. It has been a great fun ride but I have been hankering to build a monstercross for a few years now and had a few aborted starts. after an aborted attempt with a Salsa Fargo which just did not work for me, a Bombtrack beyond which was missing its original fork. Anyway the hunt has been on for a cheap second hand frame, nothing came up so with the KM just sitting there in the Surly collection it was time to try it out for something different.
I tried fitting the original fork (steerer trimmed and painted porsche blue), it gave me an idea of the setup i needed, more steerer and a shorter stem. So a new fork was purchased and the old one sold off, the extra 40mm of steer made a big difference, the stem looks like a 70 or a 60mm will be the best fit. A pair of Ritchey Adventuremax bars with some Genevalle shifters to go with the 1x drivetrain. The XT brakes have gone to make way for TRP Hybrid brake calipers, now I just need the cables, bartape and cassette to turn up to make it rideable. I am sticking with the DTswiss/scraper combinations and the Schwalbe G-ones, this will make for spirited off-road riding and reasonable road riding too. I had these G-ones fitted to a Marin pine mountain and they were a overall good fun tyre.

The #fatbastardmonstercross is on its way

#1,705 ·
...and nothing like sliding in your new seatpost into your new frame and finding out there is a burr in there you have to file out.... ugh...
View attachment 1216994
Same thing happened to me on brand new Krampus frame. Thing is I can't see or feel any burrs. Where was your burr? Any pics?

I haven't resumed my build yet as I'm waiting for parts, but am hesitant since I'm not able to locate the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,706 ·
You're gonna grease that too, after your test fit, right?
I apologize if your reaction is "no **** Sherlock", as mine would be if someone said that to me.
Hahaha... No **** sherlock!

Same thing happened to me on brand new Krampus frame. Thing is I can't see or feel any burrs. Where was your burr? Any pics?

I haven't resumed my build yet as I'm waiting for parts, but am hesitant since I'm not able to locate the source.
I didn't feel any either but they were on the top of the seat tube right at the lip. I even felt first and didn't feel anything. The only reason I found it was the pile of aluminum shavings that accumulated on the top of the seat tube. I just took a round file to it and gave it a quick couple swipes and it's all good now. Also had to take the burr that developed on the seatpost off too :madman::madman::madman:

#1,707 ·
New KM build..

Building a new lemmon lime soda single speed with these parts...
Rigid for now
Race face arc35 rims
Paul boost hubs in black
18t white industries freewheel
Thomson stem and seat post
Brooks cambium C17 saddle
Renthal 800mm fat bar
SRAM gx eagle cranks(32t)
Shimano SLX hydro brakes
And probably the Vittoria mezcal 29"X2.6" tubeless tires

Still waiting on hubs and tires to finish the build. I will post more pics when complete. Really want to run some fatter tires...2.6-2.8"....almost plus??? Lol

Attachments

#1,712 ·
Doesn't that depend on your terrain and what type of rider you are? I live at sea level and run a high cadence on road, so it translates t off-road. Especially sand. Mine is a 'dingle' speed. I have it set in 21 x 32. I have a 19 cog on the front that I can set it to, and also a 34 on the rear. So far I've left it on 21 x 32. When I had my Krampus, it was 19 x 32. I like this better at the moment.

#1,714 ·
I run 30x20 but a wolf tooth oval so more like a 32x20. I live and ride in hill country. A typical 9-12 mile ride will yield 1500-2400' depending on which local network I hit. As said, a personal choice.

I'm running my axle almost to the most forward position, maybe closer to the half-way point and rhe forward stop of the dropout. I also use a Surly TugNut that assures it all stays in position.

#1,715 ·
To clarify, what kind of gear ratios have worked that make the most use of the sub-17" chainstays? I usually ride something like 32/20 or 34/21 with oval rings, but I could probably go to 32/19 or 34/20 oval. I m feeling Monkey-curious but it would be pointless to buy one if I am just going to run the same chain and end up with a 17"+ CSL.

And no half-links. Those sketch me out and selection of chainings that are not narrow-wide is slim.