Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Let's see your KM builds

631K views 2K replies 430 participants last post by  Dry Pivots 
#1 ·
I'm about ready to order my Dark Black Karate Monkey frame and have been building it up on paper. I couldn't find any one thread with a lot of KM pictures on it, so if you don't mind post up some pics so I can get some ideas. Descriptions too if you want.

Thanks!

#1,580 ·
I bought my Minty Monkey as a new frame from someone that didn't do a build after buying it. Hit Pinkbike, that's where mine came from. Personally, I think these bikes have such a "customised" following, I think you'd do better parting the frame so someone can do their own iteration of what their monkey should be like. For me to by a complete bike in order to rob the frame or maybe a few components, it would have to be a lowball price. That's just my .02.

So, I completed the 27.5+ conversion I was asking about up thread. Ended up using Velocity Blunt rims (30mm inner width) with a WTB Ranger 3.0 up front and Trailblazer 2.8 out back. Sadly, the tires are measuring closer to 2.8 and 2.6 respectively, and the frame could definitely fit some wider rubber. Anyone using 30mm rims recommend better tires? Thinking about Maxxis Chronicles when the WTB wear out.
The i30 rims might limit your width a bit but if you went with any of the Schwalbes like a Nobby Nic or Rock Razr, you'll get significantly better volume. If you look back a page or two where you came in, you'll see how the tires squeeze on the rear. I'm running i35's, though but I once got near similar results with some i32 carbon hoops so you might be able to fill that gap with a bit more volume.

#1,579 ·
So, I completed the 27.5+ conversion I was asking about up thread. Ended up using Velocity Blunt rims (30mm inner width) with a WTB Ranger 3.0 up front and Trailblazer 2.8 out back. Sadly, the tires are measuring closer to 2.8 and 2.6 respectively, and the frame could definitely fit some wider rubber. Anyone using 30mm rims recommend better tires? Thinking about Maxxis Chronicles when the WTB wear out.

#1,591 ·
^ nice work. Bonus points for chopping into a perfectly good frame. :eek:ut: :p

I will say that the end result looks good. Although the brace never bothered me visually. On the plus side you now have room for a longer dropper should you ever decide to go that route.

#1,594 ·
So many Monkey threads, I forget which I update in! :skep:

What a difference a few weeks make! I did my SS > XTR 11spd on me Minkey and got a few rides in on it and then stumbled into the Monkey that I really wanted to add/build all along so I scooped it. Brand new from the dealer, ridden maybe 1 hour on a test ride on a marbly fireroad climb, then listed on my local craigslist that saved me a few hundred bucks. Turned out, I'm familiar with the past owner so it was a great transaction.

Being a factory build, it was laden in NX so I stripped my Minty Green of it's new gears and returned it to SS as it should be and will remain. Stripped the NX and replaced it with XTR, put a brand new LEV Integra 150 on it, and took the lead filled Dirt Wizards w/tubes off and went tubeless with Nobby Nic 3.0's. MUCH BETTER! for my local haunts. And true to form, after riding it a number of times, I thought "dang, these SRAM Level brakes are 'alright after-all', I'll keep 'em!" 5 rides in the rear is in need of a significant bleed and stopping power in the front with the 180 is a little anemic so they're out of here and XT's are going on with Ice Tech rotors. Maybe a fork in the future, probably a Pike RCT3 if I do.
I'm loving this new sled!

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame