Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Expert Crasher
    Now with 30mm less spacers and a beautimous working Ragley Carnegie's bar. Awesome for rigid SS'ing.

I like that I could drop 30+mm of spacers and still get the bars just a tick below saddle height (my preferred location).

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    @GreenLightGo

Nice! Ive been thinking of getting the Carnegies since they seem to provide an excellent compromise between the more conventional bars and the extreme sweep bars.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenTwo
    @GreenLightGo

Nice! Ive been thinking of getting the Carnegies since they seem to provide an excellent compromise between the more conventional bars and the extreme sweep bars.
    I've had them in the fleet for a while - they were on my wife's bike just staring me in the face. I like the 'alt' bar, have run the Titec H-bar or J-bar for the past 3 years on my singlespeed bikes.

The Carnegie's bar has a great feel to it and carving a corner with this set of handlebars is fantastic - not sure how they accomplished that.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    I've had them in the fleet for a while - they were on my wife's bike just staring me in the face. I like the 'alt' bar, have run the Titec H-bar or J-bar for the past 3 years on my singlespeed bikes.

The Carnegie's bar has a great feel to it and carving a corner with this set of handlebars is fantastic - not sure how they accomplished that.

My KM is currently equipped with a Salsa 17degree sweep Pro Moto flat bar . This is the sweepiest bar I have ever used , Glad I picked this up for my first 29er . .

They are not equipped with designs that negate a longer stem, so I am also running them with 100mm Thomson Elite X4s now .

I will post pictures of my karate monkey soon

mtbr member
    My 18" KM's conversion to 1x9 finished, used a Surly SS Chainring 33t and MRP 1.x chain guide, cost was about $75, and couldnt be any happier atm. Now with that Front Derailer gone another water bottle cage incoming. Might remove the monkeynuts and experiment with losing 10mm+ of chainstay.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz
    My 18" KM's conversion to 1x9 finished, used a Surly SS Chainring 33t and MRP 1.x chain guide, cost was about $75, and couldnt be any happier atm. Now with that Front Derailer gone another water bottle cage incoming. Might remove the monkeynuts and experiment with losing 10mm+ of chainstay.

Nice setup! You'll get the best mud clearance on that 2.4 Ardent by keeping the monkey nuts.

mtbr member
    Those are actually the 2.25 Ardents, but I might play around with a 2.4 on the front in the near future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz
    Those are actually the 2.25 Ardents, but I might play around with a 2.4 on the front in the near future.
    My Monkey

2.4 Ardent in the front, 2.1 WTB motoraptor in the rear.

Other specs:
    Syntace Vector Carbon 12* 685mm bar
    Gravity Light Stem
    Charge Spoon
    ODI Rogue Grips
    WTB wheels with Shimano hubs
    Thomson seatpost
    Shimano cranks

I will be posting a thorough build as the bike transforms into a budget blinglespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty W.
    Here's my new ride.
    what tires are those? size?

Abby Normal

RebaMonkey

*Finally* got a working Reba SL fork after going through four of them in about two weeks. It all worked out rather well as I also got the full Push rebuild for free (paid for by the LBS where I bought the fork).

Also picked up some Velocity Blunts / XT wheels off fleabay (actually through same LBS) for cheap. Waiting on some Bontrager rims strips / valves to try a tubeless conversion.

I've gotten in two good rides with this setup, it feels *great*.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Thanks guys. Looks like I will order a Tuggnut today (and a proper chain).

My experiment at the moment is just using my regular QR hub/wheel converted with one of the Gusset SS conversion kits to get an idea and some trail time with a SS. The kit came with a 16 and an 18T cog. I put the 16T on with a 29T chainring to get me close to the gear inch de facto starting standard of 52.

BB
    Been messing around on it for a month now. I finally pulled out the camera to take a few shots today. Hard to believe I've had this frame since 2003 and here it is 8 years later for the first try at SS'ing it.

25.08 pounds with the heavy Slime filled tubes, Thudbuster, Ardent 2.4's and boat anchor pedals. She's not going to win any beauty contests, but it's nice to have in the bike stable.

KM in the fall

KM front shot

Abby Normal
    How do you like the thudbuster? I've been toying with the idea of adding one to my KM.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I'm running an LT thudbuster with the same Ardent 2.4 on the rear.

I like it a lot. The KM rides harsher than most of the other 29ers I've owned. I think it's a combination of short chainstays and minimal seat post and my weight (<160).

With the thud it's a non-issue.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes
    How do you like the thudbuster? I've been toying with the idea of adding one to my KM.
    Takes the edge off - at least the ST version. I've tried the LT version on my KM as well (nice and plush), but the saddle was already mounted to the ST, so I just used it for the build. SS, rigid, and a standard seatpost is a nice simple combo, but ouch!!! I'm too used to full suspension 29"ers to not have something provide some flex on the KM.

Abby Normal
    Thanks guys - I may just have to try a thudbuster on the KM at some point. Although I am seriously contemplating a FS rig for next season so it might be moot.

Expert Crasher
    Bruce - that's a pure fun machine build there - nice job!

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Out on Continental Divide Trail. September 2010.

2003 model. On 3rd color. Great bike.

LP

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mtbr member
    had for couple months and still really enjoying
    it.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Couple action shots from today on the monkey...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I swapped over most of the parts from my 05 Skid Mark KM. New Features for 2011 include a lower stand over height, revised rear drop out, and new cable routings. I'm really digging the full length cables and increased stand over.

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

mtbr member
    Oh my.. That looks really nice. Not sure if it's the new paintwork, but that Surly KM is one of the nicest Ive ever seen .

mtbr member
    That is EXACTLY what I want! Full length cables UNDER the top tube with three cable holddowns. The lower standover isn't bad either. I have been planning on customizing my KM by cutting off the brakes bosses and cable guides, adding cables holddowns under the top tube, and then having the frame prepped and powdercoated a "special" color.

huevos, what is different about the drop outs? This is the first time I have heard anything about them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    huevos, what is different about the drop outs? This is the first time I have heard anything about them.
    The rear drop out was changed to allow for removal of the rear wheel without loosening the brake caliper bolts. With a standard 160mm rotor it should work flawlessly, with my 200mm rotor on the back, i found I needed to add some spacers on the rear caliper to get the rear wheel in and out...i may just go to a smaller rotor because Im a little worried the mounting bolts dont have enough bite with the spacers. Ill try to post some pics of the difference if I get a chance this week.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by huevos

From Drop Box
    Very nice looking Battleship Gray!

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast