Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by welkerjason View Post
    Just built this beauty up last night...
    That's a great looking bike. I'm building a bike with a nearly identical drivetrain, have you had any problems with the chain dropping?

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009

A few changes to make, but it's up and running, I really fancied a used brown v brake one, but couldn't find one, but this is nice....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by flashes View Post

A few changes to make, but it's up and running, I really fancied a used brown v brake one, but couldn't find one, but this is nice....
    Good, gooooooood.

mtbr member
    ^^ That's a sexy KM
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    I haven't even had my KM in storage that long and I already miss it....
    -Eric

ito
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rufio View Post
    For all you 16" sm KM owners out there; is anyone here running a 175mm crankset on their bikes? If so, what size tires are you using and how is the toe/wheel overlap?

This is pretty much the deal breaker for me on what size I should get, either to 16 or 18. Surly recommends that the 16 run a 170mm and the 18 run a 175mm. I think I am in between sizes, but I most definitely need a 175mm crankset, I ran a 170 for a season and it felt too unnatural for me.
    Ran a 180mm on my 16" KM for the first 5 years, swapped out to a 170mm over the last 4 years. I ran everything from 25mm road tires to 2.5" knobbies with a fender. With the 180 there was some toe-overlap on big tires and fenders, but it was never a deal breaker and was really only an issue when track-standing at lights during my commutes. On the trail I never noticed a problem, other than some pedal strike when riding fixed off-road. As long as you are aware of it I doubt you will have a problem with a 175mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Surly recommends the 170mm on a 16" based on the average height of riders that would ride a 16", it has nothing to do with toe overlap. They spec completes based on averages. They also recommend a 90mm stem, 660mm wide handlebar. Again just suggestions based on averages, I'm using a 75mm stem with a 685mm wide bar.

mtbr member
    Nice!
    DFL is a lot better than DNF!

mtbr member
    just finished building this up. usually would have SPD pedals on it, but I spent the afternoon bombing sidewalks and stairs like it's a bmx bike.

16" frame, Thomson stem + post, Chris King hs, Truvative cranks, Hope rear hub, Mavic 317 rims, 32x18 gear (but I want a 20t for the rear). pretty typical stuff really. I want to get ahold of some road BB7's because I have some unused moustache bars lying around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ito View Post
    Ran a 180mm on my 16" KM for the first 5 years, swapped out to a 170mm over the last 4 years. I ran everything from 25mm road tires to 2.5" knobbies with a fender. With the 180 there was some toe-overlap on big tires and fenders, but it was never a deal breaker and was really only an issue when track-standing at lights during my commutes. On the trail I never noticed a problem, other than some pedal strike when riding fixed off-road. As long as you are aware of it I doubt you will have a problem with a 175mm.
    Thanks for the input, ito. I just ordered in a 16" should be in next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    just finished building this up. usually would have SPD pedals on it, but I spent the afternoon bombing sidewalks and stairs like it's a bmx bike.

16" frame, Thomson stem + post, Chris King hs, Truvative cranks, Hope rear hub, Mavic 317 rims, 32x18 gear (but I want a 20t for the rear). pretty typical stuff really. I want to get ahold of some road BB7's because I have some unused moustache bars lying around.
    Looks great.

mtbr member
    Really pretty build. Pretty fat tyres you got there too. I roll down stairs on my KM too. Though not exactly smooth or fast, it is fun. I notice a lot of KMs with riser bars here.

mtbr member
    I had these riser bars on my 26" bike, then swapped over some of the parts. something definitely feels awkward about this bike. perhaps I need to lower my stem a bit.

mtbr member
    I recently stripped my Monkey down for a little make over and decided to replace all the torn/worn out stickers...

They are basically custom vinyl stickers ordered from a custom decal shop. The process of sticking them was fairly easy. Clean with alcohol, then carefully reveal the sticker onto the frame and use a squeegee or a thick card to press down on the stickers, forcing out any air bubbles.

EDIT: Alright, it is fixed.
    Last edited by TheGenTwo; 12-16-2011 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenTwo View Post
    I recently stripped my Monkey down for a little make over and decided to replace all the torn/worn out stickers...

They are basically custom vinyl stickers ordered from a custom decal shop. The process of sticking them was fairly easy. Clean with alcohol, then carefully reveal the sticker onto the frame and use a squeegee or a thick card to press down on the stickers, forcing out any air bubbles.
    Do you use some soapy water on the sticker before you stick it on the frame?
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    I didn't, although you could do that to give yourself allowance time to center the sticker before it adheres. I used guide lines to place the sticker so I thought soap wouldn't be necessary. The result was great except for one tiny little bubble at the end of the "y" in the "Surly" on one side.

Tell me, could you guys see the pictureI posted? Was using flickr to upload the photos.

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Can't see the pic...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenTwo View Post

This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Here's a link back to your home page.

mtbr member
    Alright guys, I updated the link. It works now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

My KM Build

Built this up, and have ridden it every day for the last two months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-imag0499.jpg  

mtbr member
    Can't believe I didn't post in this thread earlier! I bought a Monkey frameset to replace my Gary Fisher Rig awhile ago. When I got the frame, I chopped off the canti posts, derailleur cable guides, fender and rack braze ons and the derailleur hanger. I will probably make some of you cringe with the photos, but here is the thread:

New Karate Monkey
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    I really like how it looks with the canti mounts ground off - imagine that's what the new disc-only model looks like

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I really like how it looks with the canti mounts ground off - imagine that's what the new disc-only model looks like
    Yeah, the KM and Pugs have no need for canti mounts in my opinion. I like it purpose built and streamlined. I am looking at building up a Cross Check in the near future. Planning on a full Force gruppo and 3T bar, stem and post. I will do some mods to the frame of course. I'm thinking of re-routing the cables to the toptube and going with full length housing, maybe even internal cable routing. Also, not really feeling the dropouts so maybe getting some breezer drops and welding them in? Haha, in the end the only Surly thing about it will be the serial number!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Yeah, the KM and Pugs have no need for canti mounts in my opinion. I like it purpose built and streamlined. I am looking at building up a Cross Check in the near future. Planning on a full Force gruppo and 3T bar, stem and post. I will do some mods to the frame of course. I'm thinking of re-routing the cables to the toptube and going with full length housing, maybe even internal cable routing. Also, not really feeling the dropouts so maybe getting some breezer drops and welding them in? Haha, in the end the only Surly thing about it will be the serial number!
    I think going the move to build the ogre was a good one. Now you have the utility 29er and the trail bike 29er. However, I still do admire the fact that you can do anything you want with the older Monkey frames, like mine. No matter what that frame's staying around, I have some ideas on possible future configurations. I'm thinking about setting it up for road touring in the spring and going SS and possilbly going back to a rigid fork, tho I could just swich my lockout on...

I'm a tinkerer and I love the fact that Surly bikes seem to cater directly to people like myself who just like to wrench on your junk in the never ending quest to try new things and improve on them.
    -Eric

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-mcqueen View Post
    Built this up, and have ridden it every day for the last two months.
    Really like this build. The Halo twin rails are nice, although I've only ridden the 24" version. Your KM looks like a fun ride!

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    I always like the option of canti mounts, it gives alot of flexibility............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flashes View Post
    I always like the option of canti mounts, it gives alot of flexibility............
    Honestly though, are you going to put cantis or v-brakes on a 29er or a Pugs? The availability of rim brake 29er rims is kinda slim and with all of the new disc technology, its hard not to love them. I know some people run the KM with 700s and rim brakes for commuters and stuff but I don't think the canti mounts are really necessary anymore. And for Pugs, running cantis can be a real mess with the tire size. Canti's need a really wide hanger and v's need the cross cable to be lifted higher to clear the tire. I could be wrong but discs are the way to go for trail 29ers and Pugs.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    on the KM I think running Mullet is a great way to go... (thats Disc up front and V in the back)... no hassles to get the rear removed and plenty of power with the right pads
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    I'd happily run V brakes on the 29er, would have done if I hadn't managed to pick up some new second hand disc wheels the same night I got the frame...........
    Again on the Pugsley I would but can't think of anything that would fit.......
    Less weight, stop on a sixpence, a lot less hassal when having to remove the wheels.........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    on the KM I think running Mullet is a great way to go... (thats Disc up front and V in the back)... no hassles to get the rear removed and plenty of power with the right pads
    I'm doing that on mine right now, though mainly because I found a Nexus hub already laces that doesn't have the disc adaptor...

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I think this is an overall good idea. Only time I don't like these set ups is when someone runs a hydro up front with a mechanical v-brake out back, purely from an aesthetic standpoint.

A front bb7 and just about an decent V-brake in the rear with matching levers is pretty nice.

I really wanted to try running V's on my KM, but finding wheels other than custom is about impossible. Almost had a custom set built with Salsa Delgado Cross rims.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I ran SD7 leavers... BB7 185 front, SD7 V rear... ran some tektro hydros front and rear for a bit I REALLY liked the simplicity and adjustability of the mechanical setup with bb7 and no futzing to remove the rear wheel

was run with salsa delgado cross rims on hope hubs... I loved that setup... if I end up going with a geared hub I'd really like to have a disc compatible hub just for future proofing it... just gives a lot of options... much like the KM does
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ready for a long wet winter of back roads, dirt trails and canal tow paths

mtbr member
    I think I've got enough posts now to include links. Here is my baby:

It's a 20" frame (considering going back to 18 - I rode that on the old frame design and it felt a bit more nimble - unfortunately I gave my old frame to my brother). I kept the koski bars from old setup and threw on the racing grips from my old 26er. Added an e13 SS crank and some stan's wheels, and it's almost like having suspension (I'm trying to deny that I'm getting too old for this rigid stuff )

Here is another picture wearing a bit more of her natural attire:

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post

I really like this build! Looks like a blast to ride in winter conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the compliment

this was the original build

and story here

Fat bikes - a set on Flickr

its quite twitchy at the front with the 100mm Pugsley fork up front ;-)

mtbr member
    Pink fenders? I keep waiting to stumble onto a pink 1x1 frame, for no other reason than to make people do WTF double-takes when I cruise by.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the compliment
    its quite twitchy at the front with the 100mm Pugsley fork up front ;-)
    I was worried about when I got the idea to build a Fat Front, so I went with the Salsa Enabler fork, which has the same 468mm A-C as the KM fork.

Now if we could just get some snow to try it out properly...

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    I was worried about when I got the idea to build a Fat Front, so I went with the Salsa Enabler fork, which has the same 468mm A-C as the KM fork.

Now if we could just get some snow to try it out properly...
    Please give us a report about how it goes, Ive been thinking of doing the same thing, get an Enabler and going Fat Front, to my new KM.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail (Alu)

mtbr member

Surly Karate Monkey 18 "Street Racer"

Here my Karate Monkey in 18" Medium size, Shimano SLX/XT geared with B/Apples 2.35" tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-surly-km.jpg  

Last edited by Iron_sparthan; 12-27-2011 at 05:44 AM.

mtbr member
    I've had a couple of rides on it now...and love it! Took almost a year to find/get one. Finally got an '08 off of eBay and had a local powdercoater (that I've had other frames done with) powdercoat it. It turned out amazing.

Love how nimble it is, but getting use to that low bottom bracket and pedal strikes might take a few more rides. I normally ride my Big Mama...which has a high bottom bracket and clears everything.

Build w/ some notes:
    Frame/Fork: '08 Monkey/Fork - powdercoated

Stem/Post - Thomson

Bars - Ragley -- LOVE them! Read how good they were and they exceeded expectations. Hard to find, but got them from Chain Reaction when they had the free shipping deal on any price going on.

Grips - Ergon GA1 -- I have used Oury on all my bikes and love them, but decided to try the GA1. Not bad so far. Really comfy with the Ragley. The GP1's used to make my hands go numb.

Drivetrain - XT Octalink cranks and BB...Salsa ring, BBG bash, 18t Surly cog w/tug.

Headset - Cane Creek Forty. I ordered an S3, and was upgraded to this. I buy all my headsets (Cane Creek) from Abaxo on eBay. Great seller. Impressed with the Forty so far. My favorite headset is still the Hope with a headlock (star nut design needs to go away).

Brakes - BB7 (some 09's I had lying around) with new rotors 185/160 and some organic pads and cheap new lines. --- Been on hydros for so long now, I forgot what a mechanical felt like. Set-up properly and I am really impressed (again) with these.

Tires - Ardent 2.4 front and back. LOVE these tires. Hook up on everything. Run the front 20 and rear 24 and even in the fall mess...just stick to everything and provide amazing cush. I'm sure I can run them lower, but good for now.

Rims - Velocity P35. Holy wide rim. Bought from a bike shop on eBay and they didn't come "perfect" at all despite the claim on handbuilt. I've built 30-40 wheelsets, so I trued them up and converted to tubelesss with the Velocity kit. Front was painless by apparently there was a sharp edge in one of the spoke holes so I had to re-do the rear. I dremeled the holes smooth -- knocking down any burs, an then pulled the tape REALLY tight when putting it on. I also did my valve trick. IMO, most tubeless leaks happen at the valve. So, I take some rubber cement and cover the top of the rim/valve and use a rubber washer before I stick on the nut that keeps it tight. Works like a charm and ever sense I started doing that on numerous wheels...I can go a whole week without losing a single PSI when the bike is just sitting in the garage.

Never selling this bike.

mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

#THELEGEND
    Can one of you gentlemen with a newer 18" KM frame please measure the distance from BB center to top of seat tube. I recently purchased a new 20" frame, however the frame actually measures @ 21.5, thinking maybe I shouldve gone with the 18 instead. =o/ Thanks
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Can one of you gentlemen with a newer 18" KM frame please measure the distance from BB center to top of seat tube. I recently purchased a new 20" frame, however the frame actually measures @ 21.5, thinking maybe I shouldve gone with the 18 instead. =o/ Thanks
    If you look at the KM geometry chart you can see the seat tube length for each size frame. The 20" measures 23.2" from center to top of brace. The 18" is 22.6. The standover height for the 20" is 32.4" and 31.2" for the 18" frame. I have less clearance on my KM(old style) than on almost any other bike I own. But in 3 years it's never been an issue.

mtbr member
    Awesome build ElbowScabs! I like the two-tone black & white.

Quote Originally Posted by ElbowScabs View Post
    But I think you have your BBG bashguard 90 degrees out of phase! Or if not, then I put mine on wrong!

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    If you look at the KM geometry chart you can see the seat tube length for each size frame. The 20" measures 23.2" from center to top of brace. The 18" is 22.6. The standover height for the 20" is 32.4" and 31.2" for the 18" frame. I have less clearance on my KM(old style) than on almost any other bike I own. But in 3 years it's never been an issue.
    I did notice that, thanks for pointing it out though could easily be overlooked. However, my 20" frame doesnt measure 23.2, it measures 21.5 like I said which leads me to believe Surly has made a mistake in their posting (not the first time) and makes me curious of the actual 18" frame size.

My concern isnt stand over clearance, I dont have issues dismounting my bike and have no need to straddle my toptube.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did notice that, thanks for pointing it out though could easily be overlooked. However, my 20" frame doesnt measure 23.2, it measures 21.5 like I said which leads me to believe Surly has made a mistake in their posting (not the first time) and makes me curious of the actual 18" frame size.

My concern isnt stand over clearance, I dont have issues dismounting my bike and have no need to straddle my toptube.
    I have found a couple of Surly's measurements on their site to be a little off. I hope that you saw my reply in the "Karate Monkey Sizing" thread.

I plan to post my Monkeys once I have enough posts!

mtbr member
    Surly measures to the top of the top tube (or the brace, in this case), not to the top of the seat tube. Measuring to the top of the seat tube adds an inch or so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post

I see you switched to a 16" frame from the 18". How are you liking it? I just recently did the opposite, haha. Is that a Bontrager FR3 up front? How are you liking that tire as a front?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I think I've got enough posts now to include links. Here is my baby:

It's a 20" frame (considering going back to 18 - I rode that on the old frame design and it felt a bit more nimble - unfortunately I gave my old frame to my brother). I kept the koski bars from old setup and threw on the racing grips from my old 26er. Added an e13 SS crank and some stan's wheels, and it's almost like having suspension (I'm trying to deny that I'm getting too old for this rigid stuff )
    Are those the WTB Exiwolf's? Any issues with running them tubeless? I'm thinking about doing that once I acquire some new wheels from a co-worker.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by ElbowScabs View Post
    I've had a couple of rides on it now...and love it! Took almost a year to find/get one. Finally got an '08 off of eBay and had a local powdercoater (that I've had other frames done with) powdercoat it. It turned out amazing.

Love how nimble it is, but getting use to that low bottom bracket and pedal strikes might take a few more rides. I normally ride my Big Mama...which has a high bottom bracket and clears everything.

Build w/ some notes:
    Frame/Fork: '08 Monkey/Fork - powdercoated

Stem/Post - Thomson

Bars - Ragley -- LOVE them! Read how good they were and they exceeded expectations. Hard to find, but got them from Chain Reaction when they had the free shipping deal on any price going on.

Grips - Ergon GA1 -- I have used Oury on all my bikes and love them, but decided to try the GA1. Not bad so far. Really comfy with the Ragley. The GP1's used to make my hands go numb.

Drivetrain - XT Octalink cranks and BB...Salsa ring, BBG bash, 18t Surly cog w/tug.

Headset - Cane Creek Forty. I ordered an S3, and was upgraded to this. I buy all my headsets (Cane Creek) from Abaxo on eBay. Great seller. Impressed with the Forty so far. My favorite headset is still the Hope with a headlock (star nut design needs to go away).

Brakes - BB7 (some 09's I had lying around) with new rotors 185/160 and some organic pads and cheap new lines. --- Been on hydros for so long now, I forgot what a mechanical felt like. Set-up properly and I am really impressed (again) with these.

Tires - Ardent 2.4 front and back. LOVE these tires. Hook up on everything. Run the front 20 and rear 24 and even in the fall mess...just stick to everything and provide amazing cush. I'm sure I can run them lower, but good for now.

Rims - Velocity P35. Holy wide rim. Bought from a bike shop on eBay and they didn't come "perfect" at all despite the claim on handbuilt. I've built 30-40 wheelsets, so I trued them up and converted to tubelesss with the Velocity kit. Front was painless by apparently there was a sharp edge in one of the spoke holes so I had to re-do the rear. I dremeled the holes smooth -- knocking down any burs, an then pulled the tape REALLY tight when putting it on. I also did my valve trick. IMO, most tubeless leaks happen at the valve. So, I take some rubber cement and cover the top of the rim/valve and use a rubber washer before I stick on the nut that keeps it tight. Works like a charm and ever sense I started doing that on numerous wheels...I can go a whole week without losing a single PSI when the bike is just sitting in the garage.

Never selling this bike.

Nice build. A tip on the Ragley bars, the new Salsa Bend are VERY similar. Slightly less sweep and a touch less rise, but easier to source here In the US.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Here's my Monkey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-306481_10150277665597638_509722637_7971286_1664624_n.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-309505_10150277667402638_509722637_7971308_669138_n.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-293180_10150277668567638_509722637_7971324_5460138_n.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-321293_10150277666607638_509722637_7971300_5131555_n.jpg  

...top secret clown business

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    I've just "fixed" mine, so maiden run later..............
    Last edited by flashes; 01-14-2012 at 03:59 AM.

mtbr member
    i discovered that my 2011 16" KM fits a 32/20 gear ratio "slammed." I don't know if mtbers use that term, but in bmx lingo, that means that your axle is all the way forward in the dropout slots, so there's really no need for a chain tensioner. however, I needed to put a standard 3/32" master link in my chain because it's nearly impossible to separate the Power Link that I had on it. there's about 1 cm of clearance between the 2.35 Rampage tire and the seat tube now too. wheelie machine!

here's the rest of the bike, which I posted before, but it has Carnegie bars and red cables now.

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Took mine out for 3 hours on Saturday, brill. I'd forgotton what a laugh off road fixed riding could be. The gearing was to low, so gone to 34 X 16, I'll give that a go at the weekend...

mtbr member
    Hi riders, fantastic 3d! I just ordered a new 20" black KM frame, 20 days lead time was expected... shop call me now and the new ETA is April 13! so, I will post spring's pics....

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    My KM in it's latest outfit. Using it mainly for commuting and "urban" fun. Love this build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-p1040094.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    My KM in it's latest outfit. Using it mainly for commuting and "urban" fun. Love this build.
    I love this build. Is that the Battleship Gray? In that lighting (or on my computer) it looks like a khaki or a cream.

Are those 2.35" Big Apples? Or a smaller size?

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathansmith68 View Post
    I love this build. Is that the Battleship Gray? In that lighting (or on my computer) it looks like a khaki or a cream.

Are those 2.35" Big Apples? Or a smaller size?
    Thanks! It is Battleship Grey. The tires are indeed 2.35 Big Apples, which are perfect for this bike IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

error post - sorry

opps wrong spot

mtbr member
    Beware!! Single speed awesome in the photo's below. Just finished this re-doing of my KM last night,

The bike went from this:

To this:

I may switch back to front squish and put my Reba back on, but that won't be till after the spring mud/dirt road touring season that this thing should rule at.

The list of what was changed from the previous setup:

-Re-installed Surly Rigid Fork
    -New Specilized Stem, Bontrager 710mm Bars, Race Lite Lock on Grips
    -Surly Tugnuts
    -Surly 20t Rear cog, 32t Front ring, E.Thirteen Bash Gaurd, KMC 8spd chain
    -Gave the bike a much needed tune up!!

I'm going to take the bike for it's madin trial today. Should be a good ride.
    -Eric

mtbr member

2011 monkey ready for battle

Needs a few fine tuning things done but here she is ready to roll. Nothing fancy, pure simple fun. Mostly will be used for commuting and urban play.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-karatemonkey.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well gave my new KM setup the 1st test ride. Mostly successful. Until the chain snapped while popping a wheelie, whoops!

But other than that the bike felt awesome. Really playful character and very nimble with the new controls setup and the feel of SS, and losing some weight. After riding my crappy Trek 800 commuter for the last 4 months, I got on this bike today and fell back in love with the Rigid SS thing.
    -Eric

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    Beware!! Single speed awesome in the photo's below. Just finished this re-doing of my KM last night,

The bike went from this:

To this:

I may switch back to front squish and put my Reba back on, but that won't be till after the spring mud/dirt road touring season that this thing should rule at.

The list of what was changed from the previous setup:

-Re-installed Surly Rigid Fork
    -New Specilized Stem, Bontrager 710mm Bars, Race Lite Lock on Grips
    -Surly Tugnuts
    -Surly 20t Rear cog, 32t Front ring, E.Thirteen Bash Gaurd, KMC 8spd chain
    -Gave the bike a much needed tune up!!

I'm going to take the bike for it's madin trial today. Should be a good ride.

Love it! Makes me want to run my KM SS again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    Love it! Makes me want to run my KM SS again.
    Do it. It's way more fun now than it was geared
    -Eric

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Do it. It's way more fun now than it was geared
    Debating whether I want to change it back to SS or fixed at the moment.

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    I'm really enjoying mine fixed. I'm riding it much more..............

mtbr member
    I guess I never got into the fixed thing. I like to enjoy my descents.
    -Eric

mtbr member

My Monkey

I just got done with the build and have taken it out on its maiden voyage. It has some Phil Wood bolt on hubs laced up to P35 rims and the rubber is a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the back and a WTB Weirwolf 2.55 on the front. Actually the Ardent is fatter than the Weirwolf, but I like the tread on the weirwolf and it corners very,very, good. I had an On-One Mary bar on it but didn't like it and put the Ragley Carnigie on it from my Singular Swift. I can already see I'll like it better. Well, here are a few pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-sam_0236.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-sam_0239.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-sam_0238.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-sam_0237.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-sam_0241.jpg  

mtbr member
    Are there lock rings or something on your rear hub that keep your gear in place? I see no spacers or anything to sandwich that cog in there?
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Are there lock rings or something on your rear hub that keep your gear in place? I see no spacers or anything to sandwich that cog in there?
    Yes there is. I don't remember what it is called but you can place the cog anywhere you want to get the correct line up and then lock it down. Good Eye.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    Yes there is. I don't remember what it is called but you can place the cog anywhere you want to get the correct line up and then lock it down. Good Eye.
    Just wanted to make sure you weren't gonna die riding your bike

I've seen some stupid ****, and always hate it when people wind up injured because they didn't have the tools or know how to do something right.
    -Eric

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    This is Guy.Fords KM pics and info taken from Facebook. Im fairly certain he doesnt want to post on here again, but I think his bike would be a fine contribution to this thread.

Buildlist:
    Frame: Surly KM 20" Bad@ss Black
    Cranks: Truvativ Stylo SS 175mm
    Rings: E13 32t
    Chainguide: MRP System3
    Cassette: SRAM 11/34
    Shifter: SRAM X9
    RR Der: SRAM X9 Shortcage
    Wheels: WTB Dual Duty FR rims w/ Shimano Deore 529 Hubs
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4 EXO (front & rear)(tubeless)
    Tubes: Stans 29er strips & goop
    Headset: FSA Pig DH
    Handlebars: ODI Flight Control 750mm with 35mm Wingtips
    Stem: Truvativ AKA 70mm x -5*
    Grips: Oury Lock On w/ custom lockrings that say "Big Sexxxy"
    Brakes: Avid BB7 180mm (front and rear)
    Brake levers: Avid SD7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-img_0037.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-img_0038.jpg  

Last edited by RED5; 09-05-2014 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RED5 View Post
    This is Guy.Fords KM pics and info taken from Facebook. Im fairly certain he doesnt want to post on here again, but I think his bike would be a fine contribution to this thread.

Buildlist:
    Frame: Surly KM 20" Bad@ss Black
    Cranks: Truvativ Stylo SS 175mm
    Rings: E13 32t
    Chainguide: MRP System3
    Cassette: SRAM 11/34
    Shifter: SRAM X9
    RR Der: SRAM X9 Shortcage
    Wheels: WTB Dual Duty 29FR w/ Shimano Deore 525 Hubs
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent 29 x 2.4 EXO (front & rear)(tubeless)
    Tubes: Stans 29er strips & goop
    Headset: FSA Pig DH
    Handlebars: ODI Flight Control 750mm with 35mm Wingtips
    Stem: Truvativ AKA 70mm x -5*
    Grips: Oury Lock On w/ custom lockrings that say "Big Sexxxy"
    Brakes: Avid BB7 180mm (front and rear)
    Brake levers: Avid SD7
    How you liking the Ardent's on that for trail riding? I'm strongly considering the same setup and just want to get some first hand accounts of how those tires affect the grippy-ness of that bike. Let's say I've cornered hard enough to wash my front and rear out plenty of times. Looking for something with more traction in the corners. You can really lean a 29er over in the twisties.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My first Surly! I was going back and forth this winter on what I was going to get for a new XC bike, finally decided on the Karate Monkey due to a couple reasons... Reliability, Setup options and above all price.

Part Spec.:

Wheelset.: -Hubs......... Shimano XT M785 Fr
    -Rims......... StansNoTubes Arch 29r
    -Spokes...... DT Swiss Competition Fr&Rr

Tires.: Specialized Fast Trak GRID UST 29x2.0

Headset.: FSA Orbit MX Red

Stem.: Truvativ AKA Stem 80mm

HandleBar.: Truvativ Stylo T40 Flat 700mm

Grips.: Specialized BG Contour Lock-On

Seatpost.: Thomson Elite 27.2x410mm Blk

Saddle.: Specialized Avatar 155mm Blk

Crankset.: Shimano SLX FC-M660-10 175mm

Front Derailleur.: Shimano Deore

Rear Derailleur.: Sram X7 10s Med. Cage

Shifter Set.: Sram X9 3x10s Blk

Cassette.: Shimano XT CS-M771-10 11-32t

Chain.: Shimano XT HG94

Brake Levers.: Avid Speed Dial 7

Brake Calipers.: Avid BB7 160mm

Center-Lock Adapter.: DT Swiss Adapter

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This happened this afternoon.

Luckily, I just finished building this!

mtbr member
    How do you like the KM compared to the Swift? Both are bikes I'm tossing around right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    I just got done with the build and have taken it out on its maiden voyage. It has some Phil Wood bolt on hubs laced up to P35 rims and the rubber is a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the back and a WTB Weirwolf 2.55 on the front. Actually the Ardent is fatter than the Weirwolf, but I like the tread on the weirwolf and it corners very,very, good. I had an On-One Mary bar on it but didn't like it and put the Ragley Carnigie on it from my Singular Swift. I can already see I'll like it better. Well, here are a few pictures.

mtbr member

Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    How do you like the KM compared to the Swift? Both are bikes I'm tossing around right now.
    Well, I've not had a lot of time on the Monkey. I've been down sick with what everyone here in MA has and it is not fun. With the limited time I have spent on the bike it is very similar to the Swift. The one exception being the fork. I believe the fork on the Swift is more forgiving or more flexible than the Monkey. That may be due to the bolt on hubs (that's a guess on my part) that supposedly will make the front end stiffer sort of like a through bolt fork. I got a size 20" Monkey to match the Geo. on the Swift which is considered a large on the Singular website.
    Again I've spent little time on the bike but the time I have spent I think the Swift is a more of a Lively bike (more spring in the step) sort of feel. The monkey feels kind of dead. Take this all with a grain of salt for I have only ridden the monkey 3 times compared to the full season on the Swift.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Here's my 2012 Monkey. It's a 22" with a Salsa Fargo fork. Parts are pretty mundane - mostly cheap Truvativ stuff - but they work fine. Brakes are BB-7's with 185/160 rotors. Wheels are currently shod with Rampage front and Weirwolf LT rear tires.

This is the dinglespeed setup - 32/20 and 36/16. Works very well for my current riding, but I expect the bike will undergo several transformations.

Eat More Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by keevohn View Post
    Here's my 2012 Monkey. It's a 22" with a Salsa Fargo fork. Parts are pretty mundane - mostly cheap Truvativ stuff - but they work fine. Brakes are BB-7's with 185/160 rotors. Wheels are currently shod with Rampage front and Weirwolf LT rear tires.

This is the dinglespeed setup - 32/20 and 36/16. Works very well for my current riding, but I expect the bike will undergo several transformations.
    Dude, I love your bike, especially the choice to go with the Fargo fork. Did you do that for touring/water bottle/front rack options down the road?

mtbr member
    How much do fargo forks typically run? Considering the upgrade on my KM
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks guys! I got the Fargo fork for all the mounting points. Coupled with the rack bosses on the seatstays, I can mount a rear rack, a front rack, and two Salsa Anything cages. That should give me enough carrying capacity for multi-day outings.

Since my goal is to maximize the versatility of the KM, the Fargo fork was a worthwhile upgrade!

mtbr member
    This is odd, this is the exact setup I'm pondering for my next bike: 22" KM, Fargo fork (I have one now), dinglespeed. But I would probably order grey, and I'm also tossing around the Swift or (for something different) the Nimble 9. But this is a great looking bike that may sway me...

mtbr member
    Awesome Karate Monkeys guys. I love mine. The most versatile bike I own, and although there is nothing wrong with running it geared, there really is something special about riding it single speed. I'll post mine up soon.

Also I have seen a 22" KM in person; some of you guys are monsters compared to me on my 16".
    No compromise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BokorSolo View Post
    Awesome Karate Monkeys guys. I love mine. The most versatile bike I own, and although there is nothing wrong with running it geared, there really is something special about riding it single speed. I'll post mine up soon.

Also I have seen a 22" KM in person; some of you guys are monsters compared to me on my 16".
    No kidding. I ran my KM geared at first, but it just feels like it was meant for 1 gear!!
    -Eric

Expert Crasher

bang on! Head tube on your 22" looks taller than mine - a 2008 model year frame, also 22".

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Dude, I love your Monkey too. Thatís the essence of a mountainbike for me right there - rigid/steel/singlespeed.

I built-up my Pugsley as a dinglespeed and although I liked both the ratios (32/20, 34/18) I couldnít be arsed swapping it over very often. When I went singlespeed for SSWCNZ I never changed it back :^(

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks guys! I got the Fargo fork for all the mounting points. Coupled with the rack bosses on the seatstays, I can mount a rear rack, a front rack, and two Salsa Anything cages. That should give me enough carrying capacity for multi-day outings.

Since my goal is to maximize the versatility of the KM, the Fargo fork was a worthwhile upgrade!
    Keevohn - do you have a line on a rear rack yet? I ask because I have a 2011 and there are some limitations on rear racks and the disc brake setup (unless they changed that for 2012). Just curious if you found a rack that works, or perhaps you are using a seatpost rack?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scout View Post
    Keevohn - do you have a line on a rear rack yet? I ask because I have a 2011 and there are some limitations on rear racks and the disc brake setup (unless they changed that for 2012). Just curious if you found a rack that works, or perhaps you are using a seatpost rack?
    Scout - No rear rack yet. Does your 2011 have rack bosses on the seatstays, above the disc brake? It's my understanding that there are no limitations to using a rack with these bosses.

My father-in-law has an OMM front rack (Sherpa?) that I'm going to test-fit to the rear of the KM this weekend. I'll post to the KM rack thread with the results.

I also want to try the Topeak Super Tourist DX Disc. Although the rack bosses are above the disc brake, it looks like there might still be issues getting the rack to clear. This rack has stand-offs to clear the brake, and appears to move the panniers back a little bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep, bosses right above the disc brake tabs. Surly's site no longer indicates that rear racks are an issue with the disc brake setup though, so I wonder if they moved them up a smidge. I see the 2012 is disc only, where the 2011 allowed for either (V's would allow for the rack). They must have decided to address that issue. Be curious to see your findings. I just had a cheap Nasbar rack that I attempted but the disc brake is def. in the way. Looking at seatpost bags now.....
    Great bike nevertheless, I have a blast on it.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    bang on! Head tube on your 22" looks taller than mine - a 2008 model year frame, also 22".

very good observation...

2010 catalogue http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...ly_Catalog.pdf
    2012 info online Karate Monkey | Bikes | Surly Bikes

2010 shows the 22" to have a HT of 105mm vs 2012 having 125mm
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Would this fit a KM without having to use monkey nuts?

SRAM x.7 Dual Pull/ Top Swing
    Sram X.7 Front Derailleur 2011 at Price Point
    Get it unlocked.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I can't recall 100% but I think I had to use monkey nuts with that same front D... but that was the old short 5mm(?) monkey nuts
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    I can't recall 100% but I think I had to use monkey nuts with that same front D... but that was the old short 5mm(?) monkey nuts
    Do you know which ones will fit w/o the nuts? The FAQ on Surly's website is a few years old and all those derailleurs are no longer sold.
    Get it unlocked.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    sorry I don't... the change to top pull had me wondering the same thing honestly...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    So it begins. Stetchpants Black KM.

Pics and details to follow. SS for now.
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Urban Monkey

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Urban Monkey

At first glance, I assumed that those were Big Apples. I don't believe that I am familiar with that model ("Super Moto").

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

I love this picture.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathansmith68 View Post
    I plan to post my Monkeys once I have enough posts!
    My original 16":

Rode the 16" for a little over a year then decided to give the 18" a whirl. So far, I am loving the fit/feel of the 18"

My current 18": (except now with a Thomson 0mm setback)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Just Sharing...

Trying out a 1x10 set up

Let's see your KM builds-425436_10150849577794988_833689987_12758517_1579149579_n.jpg

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 282