Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes
    As I discovered front derailleurs on the KM are kinda finicky - picked up an old LX FD (M571 old style recommended by Surly) for 10 bucks to fix it up.
    Did the same - but when I built up my KM I recognized that a new SLX front derailleur did a very good job. They seem to be different to other Shimano front derailleurs

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For those of you with KM's that are not suspension corrected....what length fork did you get, and was there any offset?

edit: I heard back from Surly that the original KMs were suspension corrected, but later models had the downtube adjusted to fit the crown of suspension forks.
    Last edited by huevos; 07-23-2010 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Stock KM fork and lovin it!!!!

mtbr member
    Here mine.... It already has changed from 3 x 9 to single to 1 x 9... I love how easy this bike is to change
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan
    Here mine.... It already has changed from 3 x 9 to single to 1 x 9... I love how easy this bike is to change
    How do you like the Drake? 80mm? I think about picking one of these up every time they go on sale.

Nice build

mtbr member
    heres my KM with bike packing gear...

full set up here; http://coastkid.blogspot.com/2010/07/packed-to-go.html

and a film...

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    The Drake feels good for a lower cost fork.... Yes it is 80mm.. If you come across one on sale grab it. It does the job required. Really helps on a rougher decent
    The Official Mid-west Canfield Brothers #1 Fan and Demo fleet !!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...ps00f08dc1.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71
    heres my KM with bike packing gear...

Why don't you use a carrier and bikebags?
    I won't like it, if I cannot see the front wheel...

mtbr member
    hi there, with a bike packing set up alot of wieght is cental to the BB- stove,pot and food mostly, with a rack there is something else to break and traveling light all the room isnt really needed withthe frame bag,
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

KM2x2

Here's my new ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-km2x2.jpg  

Eat More Dirt

This is the only material possession I own that someone will have to pry from my cold dead hands.

Dynamitedread
    Nov 2009
    Posted a couple of times allready but hey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-surly-super-monkey.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty W.
    Here's my new ride.
    Looking good

Abby Normal

KM at Coyote Ridge

I decided that Midge Bars (at least with the setup on my KM) were a bit too hard on my lower back for off-roading, so I reluctantly swapped them out for a set of H-Bars (w/ Paul Thumbies). Seriously funky looking but oh-so-comfy. And Paul Thumbies are a *great* way to go.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Westrider7

This is the only material possession I own that someone will have to pry from my cold dead hands.

Looking sweet!

Okay, question for those listening. Some are using the Tugnutt chain tensioner with their SS setups and some are not. What's the thinking when setting up SS on the Monkey - is the Tugnutt needed or not?

BB (thinking about trying SS on my KM...... )

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010

regarding tuggnut

Bruce,

I run my KM as a single speed exclusively. I tried it as a 1x9. It works great but I don't care for gears.

I use a chain tug (not a tuggnut but one from an On-One Inbred) on the drive side. I find that this really helps in a couple of ways.

- it allows you to quickly re-align the wheel and ensure that it's square. install the drive side with the tug, adjust the non-drive side until there's no disc brake rub and....

- I use it for both the quick release wheel and bolt on wheel that have seen use on the KM. I do so for the reason listed above.

- You can get away with no tug if you use a bolt on rear but I always found that I had slippage with just a quick release wheel.

One very nice aspect of the tugnutt is the spacer that comes with it. It ensures that if you use a quick release, the axle/skewer is lined up and doesn't have any slop . For this reason, I think you should have one if you plan to use a QR skewer.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here's mine on the CT last year near Hotel Draw.

Email & IM
    Direct Link
    HTML Code
    IMG Code

Can't seem to load from photobucket...will try later
    Last edited by luckylarue; 09-16-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Looking sweet!

Okay, question for those listening. Some are using the Tugnutt chain tensioner with their SS setups and some are not. What's the thinking when setting up SS on the Monkey - is the Tugnutt needed or not?

BB (thinking about trying SS on my KM...... )
    I use two (one on each side) on mine but could get away without it b/c I use bolt on hubs. That being said, I find it makes centering the wheel easier for me (and I'm a closet Type A which must have symmetry). They are not WW approved so don't hesitate to use some Redline tugs, etc.

If I had QR hubs - I'd definitely use them.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Tugnut is probably not necessary with a standard SS. I use two on mine, as I'm running a 2x2 setup - dos freewheel in back, two chainwheels in front. The tugnuts make it easier to line everything up.

Lefty W.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-widos.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-whirly2.jpg  

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    I use two (one on each side) on mine but could get away without it b/c I use bolt on hubs. That being said, I find it makes centering the wheel easier for me (and I'm a closet Type A which must have symmetry). They are not WW approved so don't hesitate to use some Redline tugs, etc.

If I had QR hubs - I'd definitely use them.
    Thanks guys. Looks like I will order a Tuggnut today (and a proper chain).

My experiment at the moment is just using my regular QR hub/wheel converted with one of the Gusset SS conversion kits to get an idea and some trail time with a SS. The kit came with a 16 and an 18T cog. I put the 16T on with a 29T chainring to get me close to the gear inch de facto starting standard of 52.

BB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here's a pic of my KM:

Juicy 7's
    Chris King headset
    Chris King hubs
    Salsa Gordo rims

Dynamitedread
    Nov 2009
    Allready posted this bike but in the spirit of what the monkey is all about ( changeabilty ),here it is after trip to Mawson Trail in South Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-tour-monkey.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Looks like I will order a Tuggnut today (and a proper chain).

My experiment at the moment is just using my regular QR hub/wheel converted with one of the Gusset SS conversion kits to get an idea and some trail time with a SS. The kit came with a 16 and an 18T cog. I put the 16T on with a 29T chainring to get me close to the gear inch de facto starting standard of 52.

BB
    You've had that KM for how long and you're just now setting it up single!

I had never calculated it out before, but most of the guys I know running singles in DSM are running a 34-17 or 18. According to the calculator that's 52-55. Sounds like you're doing it right

Have fun and let us know how you like it with one gear.

mtbr member
    My Geared' 18" Red KM, dropping the triple crank soon, going 1x9 in a week or two.

Couple of days after completion - had WTB Exiwolf 2.3 wirebead, horrible front tire btw.

1 month later after a dozen+ hours on fire roads and some light singletrack, changed to Maxxis ardent 2.25 tires, broke and replaced a derailer. But one hell of a great bike!!!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick
    You've had that KM for how long and you're just now setting it up single!
    Yup. Bought it in 2003 and just now giving one gear a whirl. Perfect for my dog walks at the moment (just using a QR as my "tensioner"). Once the Tuggnut arrives, I'll take it out on the dirt.

BB

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast