Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
Results 1,451 to 1,470 of 1470
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Bike looks awesome!

Tell me more about those rims - Raceface Arc? 29er right?

And going back to adding suspension (or pricier parts in general - question for anybody: I think I can get a fork for a reasonable price online vs the bike shop, like I don't think he'll be able to match, but I will need a shop to install it. That's not a total dick move, is it?

Dude in CA is selling a new Marvel Manitou Pro for $285 on Pinkbike. Seems to be a great fork, with almost universally favorable reviews.

And because it will take both straight and tapered steer tubes, does it matter - any benefit or ride differences between the two?
    I will say this, installing the fork is really simple. Go youtube it. You will want to see how much steerer tube you will want before cutting but you can use a hacksaw to cut it.

Keep the steerer tube length in mind if you are buying used. I like a longer tube because I am really tall and need a few stem spacers under my stem to be comfortable.

The wheels are raceface arc35 but are also branded as Easton arc as well. they come in multiple widths so do your research. Popular now are the 30,35,40. I have a set of 45s and wish I had gone narrower.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Bike looks awesome!

Tell me more about those rims - Raceface Arc? 29er right?

And going back to adding suspension (or pricier parts in general - question for anybody: I think I can get a fork for a reasonable price online vs the bike shop, like I don't think he'll be able to match, but I will need a shop to install it. That's not a total dick move, is it?

Dude in CA is selling a new Marvel Manitou Pro for $285 on Pinkbike. Seems to be a great fork, with almost universally favorable reviews.

And because it will take both straight and tapered steer tubes, does it matter - any benefit or ride differences between the two?
    My 2nd custom build on the ARC35. I'm also running them on a 650 Plus Boost platform on my new Expert 29/6Fattie. As soon as my hubs arrive, I'll be having a 3rd set done in 29 Boost for a second set on the Expert. On the K-Monkey, I'm running both F/R 2.35's that profile out to 2.5. Running 18 psi cold in the rear, 14 psi cold in the front. They are great hoops. Reasonably light, strong, and my builder has come to really like them. I'm running Hope Pro4's w/DTSwiss Comp double-butted spokes on all of them.

As for the fork, I shopped it for a long time and just caught this on on Pinkbike in pretty much brand new condition. I might know of the Manitou's you speak of...out of San Francisco, maybe? They seemed a bit sketchy if that's the one. Lots of older Manitous but brand new? No pics, etc. I decided to stick with RS or Fox since I do all my own rebuilds. Parts availability as well as just identifying some of the Manitous to get parts was sketchy when I investigated. This Reba has a straight steerer but has a cool 1.5 adapter slipped on which I had not seen before. With the Cane Creek 40, it's just a matterof which Crown Race you run to make either work. Pay attention to steerer length. I wouldn't touch anything less than about 165-170 for my medium frame.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback!

The dude's username comenwin or comenwin0903 and is in Fremont. I'd feel ok buying on ebay as it is a pretty sweet deal. What do you think was sketchy? All brand new and 2017 model years
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Thanks for the feedback!

The dude's username comenwin or comenwin0903 and is in Fremont. I'd feel ok buying on ebay as it is a pretty sweet deal. What do you think was sketchy? All brand new and 2017 model years
    That one looks legit. Hadn't seen that one. There are a few on there from what appears to be an offshore seller or China. They appeared sketchy and have been up for a long time. Definitely not the same as the one you refer.

mtbr member
    Moved bits from vintage L frame to vintage XL frame, and made a few updates.

Let's see your KM builds-img_20170423_163304.jpg
    Out to ride

Just gotta love the Monkey. It can be dressed in so many different clothes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    That one looks legit. Hadn't seen that one. There are a few on there from what appears to be an offshore seller or China. They appeared sketchy and have been up for a long time. Definitely not the same as the one you refer.

Thanks again for your feedback. I stopped in to the bike shop and went with a Rock Shox Recon Gold. Seems like a solid value and a good starting point for trying suspension. Tough to pass up that Marvel Pro, but I felt better about buying it from the shop.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Thanks again for your feedback. I stopped in to the bike shop and went with a Rock Shox Recon Gold. Seems like a solid value and a good starting point for trying suspension. Tough to pass up that Marvel Pro, but I felt better about buying it from the shop.
    I bet you'll love the result. I've got 3 great rides in on my new Reba and this bike just continues to make me giggle every time I ride it. PR'd a couple tough uphill efforts as well as a few downs on the last couple jaunts. A fork makes it a bigger hoot than ever!

mtbr member
    A new wrinkle. The owner of the LBS just left me a voicemail. Said he just got off the phone with QBP and said they could not sell him a fork to put on the Karate Monkey as it would likely hit the downtube (while turning furiously) and then would void warranty.

It's the mint Karate Monkey, bought new in September 2015, same as Oh My Sack!'s. Unless there were two different mint frames, highly doubtful though.

WTF.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

A new wrinkle. The owner of the LBS just left me a voicemail. Said he just got off the phone with QBP and said they could not sell him a fork to put on the Karate Monkey as it would likely hit the downtube (while turning furiously) and then would void warranty.

It's the mint Karate Monkey, bought new in September 2015, same as Oh My Sack!'s. Unless there were two different mint frames, highly doubtful though.

WTF.
    I'm confused. What's going to hit the downtube? The KM is good for a suspension fork up to and including 100mm travel.

mtbr member
    I'm confused. What's going to hit the downtube? The KM is good for a suspension fork up to and including 100mm travel.
    I'm confused too, that's apparently what QBP told him.

He (or QBP) suggested a gravel grinding fork lol.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Which fork? I may be possible that some of the newer boost forks are wide enough to cause this issue, and I know something like a Bluto would.

mtbr member
    It's a 100mm Rockshox Recon. Should be OK. Surly's site does say 80mm. So that might be it.

And if that is the case - would I want to even bother with an 80mm fork?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thought I heard up to 120?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I emailed Surly and received this relatively prompt reply:

"The dealer may have been misinformed from the fine folks at QBP. The 2015 Mint KM SS was originally okey’d to run an 80mm suspension fork. We did some updated testing on the 2015 KM ops and that bike was okay’d for 100mm suspension."

He is going to check with his engineers on my medium frame for a 100mm fork.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

I emailed Surly and received this relatively prompt reply:

"The dealer may have been misinformed from the fine folks at QBP. The 2015 Mint KM SS was originally okey’d to run an 80mm suspension fork. We did some updated testing on the 2015 KM ops and that bike was okay’d for 100mm suspension."

He is going to check with his engineers on my medium frame for a 100mm fork.
    I'm trying to dig up the info on OPS. As far as I can tell, my Minty Fresh '15 fits the same criteria as their OPS build. 44mm headtube and MDS chipset to allow for 135 QR, Bolt-on, or 12x142 Thru-axle. The frame geometry is the same. ???

And having 100mm Reba RL is absolutely kick-ass on this bike!

mtbr member
    Heard back from Surly again:

"I checked with the engineer and he said the 100mm fork will be on the medium 2015 KM SS. Once again sorry, about the initial misinformation. The QBP CS agents are some of the best in the biz for tech questions, but they are human and makes errors every once in a while"

Might try a different LBS.

Probably just a QBP noob or something. Quick question: is the stock hub convertible to thru-axle? The link says: "Standard axle threading also allows conversion to bolt-on solid axles"
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Heard back from Surly again:

"I checked with the engineer and he said the 100mm fork will be on the medium 2015 KM SS......"

Might try a different LBS.
    Did you mean to say something like "okay", "good", "bad"?

I don't believe the Shimano hub you referenced can be set up "thru-axle" since it a cup & cone bearing set up. Many hubs are quite easy to do the conversion by simply changing end caps but those are typically cartridge bearing equipped hubs.

mtbr member
    Did you mean to say something like "okay", "good", "bad"?

I don't believe the Shimano hub you referenced can be set up "thru-axle" since it a cup & cone bearing set up. Many hubs are quite easy to do the conversion by simply changing end caps but those are typically cartridge bearing equipped hubs.
    Saw that too, assuming he meant something like "ok". Thanks for your help!
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I was running a 100mm Reba on my MDS frame and it was pretty rad. Definitely no issues with down tube clearance.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930