Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1489
    No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Finally have my KMO put together. I still haven't taken it out for its maiden ride because the front brake is not working properly (will have that fixed soon enough), but I am really happy with the final product right now.

She is primarily a commuter bike for me at the moment (as the 48-36-26 crankset will attest to), but I have knobbies hanging in my garage I can use at any time.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

mtbr member
    Finally got my bullmoose bars and feel like hamsterspam in straggler thread for posting my beloved KM so often :-)(B903 BULLMOOSE BAR by NITTO), they are awesome, I love the finish, handling, very comfy and lots of control and leverage when climbing or descending.
    Only minor cosmetic downside - alloy spacers I have are much thicker compared to steerer clamp area but oh well, I may need to splurge on some cromoly ones from Nitto

Don't believe everything you think

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    looks good to me! i like the rabbit holes...

new tires for the km,wtb trail boss 2.4's,gonna get another one for the rear ss wheel and a ranger 29x3 for the front wheel on the other set of wheels for this bike...also picked up a set of wheels built onto the alex adventurer rims that came with the ogre onto a new set of xt hubs...had the nanos laying around and a spare cassette...

Let's see your KM builds-dsc04398.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04400.jpg

mtbr member
    How wide a tire would you go on the Alex rims? I'm using 2.1" Bontragers on mine now, but wouldn't mind going a bit bigger.
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i seem to recall the ogre came with 2.3's...

mtbr member
    I want you to know that I added ten gears to my (formerly) SS mint Monkey. Went with the 11-42 Sun Race cassette, SLX shifters/RD, and probably most interestingly, a Wolf Tooth oval chainring. The LBS was out of narrow wide round, so they had an oval laying around and threw it on. Have only had time for a quick spin around the lot, but it felt pretty nice. Will test it out this evening on a grocery run.

The more I ride this bike, the more I like it.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    where you will really notice the oval is climbing,it really does improve traction control over a round ring,i dunno about the rest of the claims they make but for sure i have a waaay easier time with loose climbs now

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got a new hope bottom bracket and set of quick release skewers in so i thought i would put the monkey back into mountain bike mode...

swapped in a set of race face riser bars and bumped the chainring down in size to a 32 tooth wolf tooth oval...

Let's see your KM builds-dsc04434.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04436.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04437.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04438.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04440.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    turns out the km is a kick ass mountain bike!
    who knew?

the shorter stem and wider riser bars really improved the handling...liking the wtb trailboss 2.4s,they seem to have enough volume to soak up the chatter pretty well,i went to the rockiest trails in the area,no rim strikes and they did good in the sandy bits,climbed and cornered well,even shrugged off a barrel cactus spine cluster..

Let's see your KM builds-img_20161202_120349646.jpgLet's see your KM builds-img_20161202_120526325.jpg

A God Without A Name
    Just got a mint Monkey frameset. while I was buying it I was looking at the geo chart for the first gen frame, which has an ETT of 565. this generation has an ETT of 575. This means the geometry on the bike just went from good, to better.

The ETT on the 2017 is too long for the urban intentions I have for this bike.

that being said, I intended to build this bike as a winter beater, using spare parts and parts off my Wolverine.

Now that I have it in my hands, I kind of want to go a bit nicer with it. I didn't expect it would look this good OR have this geometry.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    Just got a mint Monkey frameset. while I was buying it I was looking at the geo chart for the first gen frame, which has an ETT of 565. this generation has an ETT of 575. This means the geometry on the bike just went from good, to better.

that being said, I intended to build this bike as a winter beater, using spare parts and parts off my Wolverine.

Now that I have it in my hands, I kind of want to go a bit nicer with it. I didn't expect it would look this good OR have this geometry.
    Having used my KMO with the old geometry for several rides now, I can say you are right. The new one is better for off road, but the old one is GREAT for pavement play.

I also intended to build mine with my parts bin, but she ended up being a X9/XT level build with hand built rims. All in, she still cost well under $1K though. I bought a bunch of my parts used and locally from my local bike club though... :-) the lime green hoses/cables were a splurge I could NOT resist.
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

A God Without A Name
    I got this as an Employee purchase, so I got a super good deal on it. But pro-deal on shimano is basically the same, or a little higher, than Chainreaction. So I can't save much there. I think I'll re-use the Chukker/ DT 350 wheels I built for my Wolverine, and just build some lighter wheels for the Wolverine later.

With a crankset, headset and the frame. I'll be in it about 450. I have the cockpit and brakes figured. So rear gears is all I have left to worry about.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    took the monkey out for a quick lap at the local trails today...had an xt derailleur and shifter not being used so i slapped it on the monkey,the slx that was on there would bind the chain shifting onto the smallest cog,the xt no problems...always had problems with the km previously with 1x10 setups trying to cram as big a tire as possible in and getting the derailleur to work,the combo of a set of monkey nuts and the wtb trailboss 2.4s are working well for me,and the shorter stem and riser bars....fun!

Let's see your KM builds-img_20161220_152903535%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My KM on the C and O Canal last September.

Let's see your KM builds-20160908_102654.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-20160909_094520-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post

Hello Agwan, do you know if there are still Mint Karate Monkeys left to order? I too have more urban intentions for the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well, that reminds me a lot of my Fargo, with the bars. What tires are you running, and what fenders? I have been considering fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by joemastro View Post
    My KM on the C and O Canal last September.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160908_102654.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	1111594

Name:	20160909_094520 (2).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	1111595
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2009 Giant Yukon
    2015 Motobecane FB4 Fatbike

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    Well, that reminds me a lot of my Fargo, with the bars. What tires are you running, and what fenders? I have been considering fenders.
    Yes, its definitely a Fargo wannabe. The tires are Clement x'plor mso 40's. They roll nice but are not very durable. They almost didn't make the full trip. The fenders are SKS Commuter 2s.

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Christmas Eve ride at Montana de Oro. The Monkey's 2nd real outing since rolling completion.

Monkey overlooks an angry ocean at Spooner's Cove, the starting point.
    Let's see your KM builds-20161225_101554.jpg

Monkey in the Secret Garden on Beebe Trail.
    Let's see your KM builds-20161225_101224.jpg

Monkey on an Oats Pk overlook with Spooner's in the background.
    Let's see your KM builds-20161225_101519.jpg

More to come if I can get them to upload here (PITA!) from the remainder of this 16+/2400' SS ride-about.

Monkey at the top. Hazards Peak overlooking Morro Bay and Morro Bay Harbor.
    Let's see your KM builds-20161224_144329.jpg

Morro Rock in the distance.
    Let's see your KM builds-20161224_172140.jpg
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Sack, looks like a great place to ride, maybe no so much on a single speed for me

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got the last of the upgrades done on the karate monkey,a new hope pro4 rear hub and a hope headset...i was planning on chris king for the headset and bottom bracket,but jensonusa got me with black friday and other holiday deals and in the end the hope stuff was less than half the cost of ck...indeed,all the hope stuff aside from the hub were pretty cheap,i far prefer to use the lbs but they just cant beat the deals sometimes in spite of my generous shop discount...

the current state of the build...
    hope headset
    hope stack spacers
    cromag stem
    race face atlas riser bars
    esi chunky grips
    race face atlas saddle
    salsa fliplock seatpost collar
    hope stainless bottom bracket
    shimano zee crank
    wolf tooth 32 tooth oval
    wolf tooth chainring bolts
    shimano 10 speed xt cluster,rear derailleur,and shifter
    oneup cage
    velocity blunt35 rims hope pro4 rear/surly ultra new disc front hub
    hope stainless quick release skewers
    wtb trailboss 29x2.4 tires

also have...
    velocity blunt 35 rims surly ultra new disc ss hub rear/ultra new disc front hubs
    white industries dos enos freewheels 17/19 and 20/22
    wtb trailboss 29x2.4 rear and wtb ranger 29x3 front tires

alex adventurer rims laced to shimano xt hubs
    wtb nano 29x2.1 tires
    shimano slx 10 speed cassette

and soma junebug bars with a microshift bar end shifter and tektro long pull drop bar levers for the drop bar setup...

Let's see your KM builds-dsc04716.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04717.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04718.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04721.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04724.jpg

the half breed devil
    my neighbor loaned me his pace carbon fork. next step will be a reliable wheelset:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-img_1799.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    my neighbor loaned me his pace carbon fork. next step will be a reliable wheelset:
    How's the ride compared to OEM steel? Always curious on that option.

I dropped off my new RaceFace Arc35 hoops and Hope hubs at my builder's today. They should be done by mid-week next week. Can't wait!

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post

I dropped off my new RaceFace Arc35 hoops and Hope hubs at my builder's today. They should be done by mid-week next week. Can't wait!
    i will find out how it rides friday, saturday or sunday. it's supposed to rain like hell in the bay area over the weekend, so we'll see how things go.

Yeah, good luck with that! I'm just south in SLO Town. 6" in 24 hrs on our Irish Hills network. THAT'S done for a while. Riding MdO on the Monkey tomorrow before we get blasted again Sat/Sun/Mon.

mtbr member
    finally some (soggy) snow:

Let's see your KM builds-dscf0252.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dscf0256.jpg

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post

so the bike's ride quality is somewhat improved over the OEM fork. it dampens small bumps and handling is noticeably sharper. the next test will be how the fork feels over stutter bumps in the marin headlands; today's test ride was through the slop and twists of golden gate park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-img_1814-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rhubarb View Post
    finally some (soggy) snow:

Name:	DSCF0252.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	1115730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0256.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1115731
    Nice... what rims/tyres are those please?

mtbr member
    cheers mate, Velocity Blunt 35, Continental Mountain King 2.4 in the Back, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 in the front

gearing is 33/19 which results in what seems to be the shortest possible chainstay length

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Let's see your KM builds-img_20170116_091023143_hdr%5B1%5D.jpgLet's see your KM builds-img_20170116_093007649%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Is the newest version available to purchase yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    Is the newest version available to purchase yet?
    Yeah, some of them are rolling out. There is a little more info on this thread: New 27.5+/29" Karate Monkey!

And I've seen quite a few pics on Instagram. Both colors look really nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akindofbrian View Post
    Yeah, some of them are rolling out. There is a little more info on this thread: New 27.5+/29" Karate Monkey!

And I've seen quite a few pics on Instagram. Both colors look really nice.
    Sweet! thanks!

mtbr member
    I am thinking about new handlebars for my monkey.

Interested in the Jones Loop bar, but I do think it looks kinda funny, and I'm not sure how I'd like the sweep. Really I guess I'm just interested in more hand positions. Is there anything out there like a more traditional mtb handlebar, but with hand position options?

Drops are not an option.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    jones loop bars are pretty comfy and offer plenty of hand positions,jones and surly make a version without the loop up front that are also nice...

i ended up adding a set of bar ends inboard of the brake/shifter levers on some race face atlas riser bars and have found they offer an excellent hand position analogous to being on the hoods on drop bars so also good for out of the saddle less techy climb position..

mtbr member
    Interested in the inboard bar ends. Do you have pics?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Dang, thought I updated my Monkey pics after I finalized the build with wheels. Here's a photo dump.

Let's see your KM builds-20170120_184541.jpg
    Let's see your KM builds-20170120_184307.jpg
    Let's see your KM builds-20170120_194315.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Interested in the inboard bar ends. Do you have pics?
    none that show it well,but its as simple as it sounds...i just saw something on bike rumor or maybe pinkbike that were a more carbon fiber-y molded composite version...
    anyway,i like drop bars but rarely ever find myself using the drop part and as much as i like riding drop bar bikes on the trails theres those times when i wish i had flat bars when it gets techier...so having the bar ends inboard at about shoulder width gives the same sort of position...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    took some pics...

Let's see your KM builds-dsc04837.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04838.jpg

mtbr member
    thank you hampsterpam, that is something i will look into...also jones and h-bars.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    none that show it well,but its as simple as it sounds...i just saw something on bike rumor or maybe pinkbike that were a more carbon fiber-y molded composite version...
    anyway,i like drop bars but rarely ever find myself using the drop part and as much as i like riding drop bar bikes on the trails theres those times when i wish i had flat bars when it gets techier...so having the bar ends inboard at about shoulder width gives the same sort of position...
    SQlab | Mountainbike 1 | Ergonomic bicycle parts

I just ordered a set today to run on my hardtail that I use for all day rides. I also have another bike, that was a bit of a proof of concept, set up with some old fashioned barends on the inside.

I have done the Jones bars, both Titecs and Loops, and various other ALT bars but have never been totally happy with them. I'm liking the inner barends thing right now because it just feels like a MTB until I find myself on a road or flat section of trail, then I can slide over to a narrow "hoods" like position.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i saw the inboard bar end thing in the context of someones bikepacking rig and it made sense to me...and it turned out to be very comfy for my hands,shoulders,and back...

been playing around with various setups for the km,i really really love my km,the problem with it has been i cant take the beating from a full rigid 29er bike for long,especially not with a krampus sitting nearby,and an ICT with a bluto...so i had tried the drop bar thing with it,and it makes a really good "anyroad" type of bike...but its also a kick ass mountain bike....makes me wish i had a second km frame...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    My brother told me last night he might want to sell his Battleship Grey KM. I can see the value in a geared 29er "any NM road" set-up. Old Monkey seems better for that to me, throw a Jones H-bar (no loop), a frame bag, and some bald tires on there and go for it. Just seems like a Cross Check would get overwhelmed by the sand and rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    SQlab | Mountainbike 1 | Ergonomic bicycle parts

I just ordered a set today to run on my hardtail that I use for all day rides. I also have another bike, that was a bit of a proof of concept, set up with some old fashioned barends on the inside.

I have done the Jones bars, both Titecs and Loops, and various other ALT bars but have never been totally happy with them. I'm liking the inner barends thing right now because it just feels like a MTB until I find myself on a road or flat section of trail, then I can slide over to a narrow "hoods" like position.
    Thank you, this looks like exactly what I'd be looking for.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    My brother told me last night he might want to sell his Battleship Grey KM. I can see the value in a geared 29er "any NM road" set-up. Old Monkey seems better for that to me, throw a Jones H-bar (no loop), a frame bag, and some bald tires on there and go for it. Just seems like a Cross Check would get overwhelmed by the sand and rocks.
    therein lay the crux...i get stopped by stuff on the straggler the monkey would handle much better,or have to slow way down since those skinny tires dont suck up chatter very well...
    and old monkey is the way to go i think..slack geo=wanders on the climbs to me,i had to dab out on several climbs the other day on the ict because i couldnt keep the front end going where i wanted...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    turns out the km is a kick ass mountain bike!
    who knew?

the shorter stem and wider riser bars really improved the handling...liking the wtb trailboss 2.4s,they seem to have enough volume to soak up the chatter pretty well,i went to the rockiest trails in the area,no rim strikes and they did good in the sandy bits,climbed and cornered well,even shrugged off a barrel cactus spine cluster..

Name:	IMG_20161202_120349646.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	1108331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161202_120526325.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	1108332
    Nice monkey. Looking forward to getting the trail bosses on my Chromag rootdown. The monkey has been relegated to urban duties with schwalbe big apples and paniers

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    so...went ahead and put the new SRAM stuff on the monkey with the junebug bars...for sure it makes a much better "anyroad" bike for this area where the definition of the word road gets stretched pretty far...
    anyway,no surprises,an integrated system works better than the kludge i had on here before...
    Let's see your KM builds-img_20170208_112338692.jpgLet's see your KM builds-img_20170208_114143949.jpgLet's see your KM builds-img_20170208_121810210.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011

2017 purple monkey 29+

Let's see your KM builds-20170208_123941.jpg
    Let's see your KM builds-20170208_123922.jpgLet's see your KM builds-20170208_124006.jpgLet's see your KM builds-20170208_124032.jpgLet's see your KM builds-20170208_124042.jpg

More tire clearance pics here: New 27.5+/29" Karate Monkey!

I like it with 2.3" tires and the axle forward in the dropouts. Nice and playful. With the 29x3" tires, the longer rear end is more stable and the front end really sticks to the ground, but not as playful.

I am very happy to report that I was able to switch the parts over from my krampus without any issue. I'm just running a longer stem than when I had a medium Krampus.

BB is 12 7/8" with 29+ and feels pretty good. I hit my foot on the ground twice when I had a regular tire on the back.

I'm hoping to finish a 70 mile, 12hr ride on Saturday running it full 29+. It's gonna be tough.

mtbr member

Fatties Fit Fine

ExtraTerrestrial 29 x 2.5 tires on Rabbit Hole 29+ rims, 1x10 drivetrain.

Let's see your KM builds-img_20170210_104445_w1920h1200.jpg
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I think I'm going to get some ETs for my ECR. It will be my grinder while I slowly build a CC.

Looks awesome Larry!

Members who have read this thread: 307