Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 1380
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    redid the karate monkey with drop bars and some trp hydraulic brakes i got cheap...surly ultra new hubs,velocity p35 rims,wolf tooth 32 tooth oval chainring,white industries dos enos 17/19,wtb nano 2.1 rear,maxxis ardent 2.4 front...
    Let's see your KM builds-dsc04121.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04123.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04124.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04125.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04126.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    seeing this one tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    naw,already have a feel for trail riding on these bars,and not really the same challenge as riding a road bike on the trails and i want to try the junebugs out...but maybe tuesday night ride i will get a km singlespeed run in on the race loop,last year i was way faster on the km than any other bike,and that was on a 32/20 gear...

wanna ride bikes?
    broke my SS frame. now i'm sad. looking for a XL KM to replace it. PM with info thx.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

Hardtail 29er- dead forever
    SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yet another change...

back to flat bars for the monkey,did a wheel swap with the ogre and converted it to 1x10...
    panaracer fatbnimble 29x3 up front although it more like a 2.8 on a 35mm rim...for that matter the maxxis ardent 2.4 plumps up a bit on a 35mm rim so they end up looking about the same...it does feel like the bigger tire up front slackens the handling up a tad but the karate monkey borders on being twitchy since the handling is so sharp...

another very fun set up,the big front tire takes the sting out of the chatter and it still handles like a km....the wolf tooth oval really helps with the climbing..

Let's see your KM builds-dsc04250.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04253.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04254.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04255.jpg

mtbr member
    That looks sweet with those hoops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    kinda makes me wonder if a 27.5+ and a 29+ combo would work..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    had the bar end shifter and soma junebug bars free as well as the drivetrain from the straggler as well as a gear expander kit so...

drop bar monkey cross...

absolute black 36 tooth oval with a 11-42 expanded range cassette,maxxis ardent 2.4 on the back,panaracer fatBnimble 29x3 up front...

Let's see your KM builds-dsc04276.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04277.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04279.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04280.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04281.jpg

A God Without A Name
    That looks pretty kick-ass.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ive been riding a bunch of singletrack on the straggler and as fun as that is it was beating me up a bit too much...same problem with the karate monkey as a 29er...my hands and wrist and elbows and one wonky shoulder just couldnt take the pounding,especially with a krampus sitting in the fleet...but i really love the km,its lighter than the krampus or ict so its pretty zippy and ive always loved the well balanced feel and liveliness of the ride,and ive really gotten into drop bar singletrack so here you go,a half 29+ drop bar monster cross...

wanna ride bikes?
    half plus monkey cross

or is it half plus karate cross?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

Hardtail 29er- dead forever
    SS cyclocross
    all steel, all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    half dead monkey wood?

karate fargo?

krampate monkey?

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    half dead monkey wood?
    That name would look great on a top tube.

Sweet and creative build, for sure. How's it ride?
    Disclaimer: Please don't make the mistake of thinking I take any of this seriously.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    just got in a short test ride to make sure it was shifting right but it seems no matter how i set it up its still handles like a karate monkey...so awesome really...i will get it out on some gravel an singletrack and give it a shakedown...theres also a ton of jeep roads around here that are too sandy and the gravel too deep to be much fun on the straggler,but those roads often have long fairly smooth sections that would be loads of fun to rip down on a drop bar bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got in a good little test ride on the fresh build, a good mix of road,gravel and 4wd roads...left the tires pumped up too high but otherwise a ripper off pavement,handled the sandy bits fairly well,the gearing seems spot on...
    whanged my knee pretty good against the top tube in the middle of a KOM attempt...woulda had it too if not for the small eternity of blinding pain...

Let's see your KM builds-dscf1337.jpg

good mode for the monkey...

likes beer
    Looks great! What bares are those? (salsa woodchipper?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    soma junebug bars

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    half dead monkey wood?

karate fargo?

krampate monkey?
    I so want to put " Judo Ape" on the other side of my Karate Monkey frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    akido lemur? lol

its tuning out to be a pretty good build,its fast,thats for sure,very comfy to ride...need to get it out on some real singletrack but its sure fun to blast down dirt roads on it...

mtbr member
    The latest incarnation of my Monkey. This time set up to grind some gravel. Jones Bars, Carbon Fork, 2.1 Nanos.

mtbr member
    I'm following Hamsterspam in droppifying my KM:

Name:  IMG_7278.JPG
Views: 862
Size:  35.6 KB

But I'll raise him a fixed gear configuration!
    Name:  IMG_7267.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  35.1 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    touche sir,touche!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @ hamsterspam @seatboy, how do you guys feel about sizing on the KM's? Assume you both ran these with flat bars for some time before going to drops. I'm looking to buy a frame/fork to build a drop bar 29er and would typically be a large at 5'10" with long-ish arms/legs but with the extra reach the drops provide I was thinking about a medium to compensate?

Appreciate your thoughts!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i run a thompson 100mm stem with flat bars on my xl karate monkey and a 50mm with the drops plus scrooching the seat forward a tad...im 6'6" and the km is for sure the smallest of my bikes...i had to fiddle with it in both modes to be comfortable but in general i feel going small on the frame works well with the monkey since its such a fun bike to air out a wee bit...and in my case i generally dont ride the monkey much more than 30 miles or so at a shot since i will be more comfy over the long haul on one of the larger framed bikes like ict xxl frame or a 64cm straggler...

mtbr member
    The conventional wisdom is to size down for drop bars, and I think the CW is right in this case. My KM is an XL, I'm 6'3", and rode it with about an 80~100mm stem with flat bars. With drops, even with my 70mm (?) super upjutter stem, it's still too much reach for my comfort.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yup,im thinking the drop bar monkey would do better fit wise with the same im guessing 35 degree rise shorty bontrager stem would get closer to the sweet spot for my back..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys, Medium should be good for me. I'll browse this thread and I'll check back in when I get started on the build

mtbr member
    Hello, I am an idiot who sold his beloved KM 2 years ago. Can't remember why I was so stupid. Bought another KM to replace it, did not feel the same, sold it too. Bought Krampus, love it but it is not KM. So finally after thinking about it every month or so I digged through my messages, found the guy who bought her from me and asked him if he would like to sell her back. And he did!!!! And he kept her in really good shape, was his summer bike. I am beyond happy, it is not going anywhere ever.
    Here she is

2011 (I think) KM in Battleship Grey, medium
    RaceFace Response cranks and c-ring, Shimano Saint MX80 pedals
    Rabbit Holes laced to Surly hubs, WI trials freewheel, Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 tires, Avid BB7 brakes
    SimWorks GetAround bar by Nitto, NOS RaceFace stem, Specialized BG grips
    Ritchey seat post, Cambium C17 saddle
    Last edited by mongol777; 11-20-2016 at 02:27 PM.
    Don't believe everything you think

mtbr member
    Spent a few days up on the Kaibab Plateau/North Rim of The Grand Canyon w/ the Monkey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    really liking the drop bar version of the monkey...still having some problems getting the front brake and the cheap tektro levers to agree,the front brake anyway,the rear brake works fine,the front not so much...
    and the tires need to be switched,im thinking wtb ranger up front and the wtb trail boss 2.4 out back,and upgrading the hub to a hope pro4,and a chris king headset and bottom bracket...maybe a sus fork at some point..

new wolf tooth 36 tooth oval and chainring bolts,and a salsa fliplock..
    Let's see your KM builds-dsc04308.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04309.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04312.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Let's see your KM builds-img_2247.jpg

Here's mine.

Powdered white.
    GX 1x11 with X1 shifter and XT 11-42 cassette
    100mm Reba
    Stan's Flows
    Thomson stem and post
    Renthal Bars & Grips
    Fizik saddle that broke this weekend
    King Cages

Just around 29lbs when I weighed it with saddle bag and stuff on it.

A God Without A Name
    I'm looking at the geo for the new generation of Karate Monkeys. I don't think it's going to be as versatile as the outgoing bike. The bike seems more trail, more gravity oriented.

I wanted to get one as a singlespeed urban bomber, but now... not so much with this new geo. It's a little alien to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    really liking the drop bar version of the monkey...still having some problems getting the front brake and the cheap tektro levers to agree,the front brake anyway,the rear brake works fine,the front not so much...
    and the tires need to be switched,im thinking wtb ranger up front and the wtb trail boss 2.4 out back,and upgrading the hub to a hope pro4,and a chris king headset and bottom bracket...maybe a sus fork at some point..

new wolf tooth 36 tooth oval and chainring bolts,and a salsa fliplock..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04308.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	1104023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04309.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	1104024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04312.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	1104025
    Hi mate of all your builds this one works for me, a true go anywhere machine. So nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I'm looking at the geo for the new generation of Karate Monkeys. I don't think it's going to be as versatile as the outgoing bike. The bike seems more trail, more gravity oriented.

I wanted to get one as a singlespeed urban bomber, but now... not so much with this new geo. It's a little alien to me.
    Yo should have zero problems finding a used frame on the cheap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thanks mate!
    cant wait to get some new tires on it,putting a true 3 inch tire on the front will give it some more float for the sand and a bit more cushion,and i already have a singlespeed rear wheel for this bike and a set of flat bars and a frame bag so a lot of different directions this bike can go in...

agwan....yeah,im on the fence still....i love love love my karate monkey,riding this bike as a singlespeed taught me all the fundamentals of mountain biking,its just an awesome 29er frame,so much fun to ride,great balance to the frame,the handling is razor sharp and responsive without being twitchy...in short its hard to imagine "improving" it....

that said,my old bones cant take the pounding of riding the km fast on the trails and i have always wanted a sus fork so a new km is appealing....but 29+ just works better for me in the desert,and i already have a 29+ wheelset for the ICT so i basically have a slacker trail bike with tons of braze ons...so i dunno...the purple is pretty eye catching...but i have a glitter dreams straggler already,dont really need another purple bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

I did a thing and bought a second frame and made the geared. To go with my single speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

A God Without A Name
    I genuinely want to know where people are finding readily available used Karate Monkey frames. Because the eBay pickings are pricey and slim!

mtbr member
    I sometimes think about selling my KM, but things like this give me pause. I think my KM is the peak of Monkey evolution: it's a 2012, with the taller headtube over earlier models, but not the OS headtube that I don't need, nor the slacker geometry that I don't want. And none of those vaporware MDS chips...

I genuinely want to know where people are finding readily available used Karate Monkey frames. Because the eBay pickings are pricey and slim!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Wopped some 180mm 4pot Hope brakes on mine and went DH racing again, don't need no fat tubes or oversized headtube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-005.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-014.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-14991890_10154659621488232_7764995362092562092_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Facebook has a "Salsa and Surly Traders Group" that is limited to buying, selling or trading Salsa or Surly products. I found a 2008 (1st generation) KM frameset with installed headset, both in almost new condition for hundreds less than a new one.

mtbr member
    I liked it better when you downhilled with the V brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Ace. View Post
    Wopped some 180mm 4pot Hope brakes on mine and went DH racing again, don't need no fat tubes or oversized headtube

A God Without A Name
    submitted request to join that group. depending on what I find, I may build a rigid Stache.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    V-brake Monk was actually faster quite a bit lighter too which also equals faster.

It just suffered with brake-torque steering on the front wheel, didn't like slowing down fast, and my favourite of snow riding and rims icing over so no braking at all, a bit like the olden days when we used rim brakes and chromed rims

I hit less trees with 4pot discs which is faster.
    I might drop the 180 rear down to 160 disc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    submitted request to join that group. depending on what I find, I may build a rigid Stache.
    Just be sure to monitor it on a more or less continuous basis. If you have a lot of contacts in Facebook, it's very easy to miss some good posts on the trader's group. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Monks been tweeked*

Had some issues at Sundays DH race.
    1) Tyre buzz from the large Hans Dampfs, never had that before, but in single speed the wheel sits further back in the drop outs.
    While the frame took Hans slammed fully forward, when i stuffed it into bermed corners it buzzed the frame.

2) Chain snap (twice) prime cause was my poor shifting, this was caused by trying to "Race" one of the girls back up the hill, i effectively got kicked in the nuts over that

Found the Monkey nuts that came with the frameset, never had use for them before, super easy to fit.

*tweek, tweeking, tweeked = fine tuning,modifying, i belive it has a different meaning stateside
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-011.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-009.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-008.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-038.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Despite all the recent evidence to the contrary we in the States are in fact smart enough to know what the word tweak means. We can even spell it correctly. lol.

We can also cook up some good drugs! But we never give those drugs to our bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    American English or English English spelling

Depends where you look, just checked urban dictionary and it has a few other meanings i knew nothing about..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Doesn't matter the language you seem to be kicking butt on your KM! Keep it up.

My 2 year old daughter calls tomatoes "beeyous". She is left out but still enjoyed the song. Who wouldn't?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012