Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone know where to get the best deal on a frameset? I've got a bunch of semi heavy and semi used parts and I think I'd like to build one up. It will be pretty similar to a stock build.

mtbr member
    The best deals I have seen are on ebay. $375 for a frameset.

mtbr member

my bikepacking km

love my km for bikepacking!

second camping trip:
    latest bikepacking iteration

truly feels like a bike that can do ****.

mtbr member
    surly bikes are made for doing _s+h=i-t>>

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    stupid question.... all the information on the Surly site says a bottom pull front derailleur but it appears after the changes with the addition of the Ogre that all the pictured setups are using a top pull. Ordered the frame and wanted to get a head start on derailleur search if needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My 2011 frame (last of the canti studs) has the top pull braze on, like the picture few posts up.

Mine has no downtube, or headtube braze on's, but a band/clamp on could be used. The bottom bracket shell has a tapped hole so a BB guide could be fitted for a down tube under bb shell shifting.

Sure the Shimano Deore front mech is dual pull anyway, if that was what you where going for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the verification... I've got the old LX bottom pull in the parts box, but I'd rather have a top pull than run it under the BB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can the km be run as 3x with front Der?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    My assumption is yes from the pictures above and on previous posts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry. Using tapatalk and its been giving me problems loading pics.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Yes it can. Depending on the front derailleur you may want to run Monkey Nuts to avoid tire clearance issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Racing Ralph 2.4 is doing fine on the rear mounted tubeless to a Flow on my new KM. It's pretty hard to imagine (at least for me) spending $1500 when a $400 frame does so well. But if you really want a tad more clearance to run the biggest of biggest meats that might come along, then perhaps it is worth it for you. It does not have the same clearance as my RIP 9 frame in the rear, but it's got enough more over my prior frame to run the Ralph 2.4 with no problems. I've actually got another tire that I want to run back there which I cannot mention (tire testing agreement) or show in pictures that is absolutely the cat's meow.

The 2.4 Ralph in the rear with a nice comfy psi combined with the steel frame really makes this a supple ride. Keep in mind I'm running a suspension fork.

I had it out in the wild today for 2 hours and will do the same tomorrow before snowstorm #1 of the season hits in the evening.

P1010003

P1010001

Edit: 25.79 pounds as shown (with mud on the tires) in case anybody asks.

This looks really nice. What fork are you running?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by huevos View Post
    This looks really nice. What fork are you running?
    That's an old REBA Race set to 100mm of travel with a bar mounted Poplock Remote.

mtbr member
    Just replaced the brakes with SLX M675's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-rps20130113_135313.jpg  

Last edited by The Thug; 01-26-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Photo wasn't displaying

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's my parts bin AKA "leftovers" KM. I just built her up over the weekend and so far I like it a lot, although it's hampered by a 2,300 gram wheelset (the only really bad part). It went together well - next time I'm going to spring for a real headset press as the rubber mallet was a hack job for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359339581.303837.jpg  

I work in .001 tolerances
    My KreMlin. Karate Monkey on Kris Holm unicycle rims. 47mm up front, 38mm out back.
    Will always and forever be SS

mtbr member
    Frame will be here tomorrow, should have the rest of the stuff by Thursday. Looking forward to the new build. I've had two other Monkeys before, but this one will by far be the nicest. Reba RLT, XT DynaSys, Hope/Flow, Thomson should make for a pretty decent ride!
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

Knard on stock KM fork. Just picked up today
    mounted on a Kris Holm freeride rim. Nice-n-plump

Let's see your KM builds-knardness.jpg

MTB B'dos
    Sometime this year I plan to get one of these for the front of my KM, so very helpful pic. Looks nice and wide as promised, but how's the height? Looks a little low to me for a 3" wide tyre. What rim do you have it on and how wide does it actually measure? Thanks for this info.

Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    Knard on stock KM fork. Just picked up today
    mounted on a Kris Holm freeride rim. Nice-n-plump

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Knardness.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	772181
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Sometime this year I plan to get one of these for the front of my KM, so very helpful pic. Looks nice and wide as promised, but how's the height? Looks a little low to me for a 3" wide tyre. What rim do you have it on and how wide does it actually measure? Thanks for this info.
    Currently mounted on a Kris Holm freeride rime which is 47mm wide. Only 3mm shy of the rabbit hole.
    Floor to handlebar height increased by 19mm or .75" with the Knard. I'm measuring the casing width at 68.85mm currently.
    I'll be putting 40miles on this baby today and I shall post back with some better pics

mtbr member
    I've been waiting to see a pic like that. Do let us know what you think of the extra rubber in front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Let's see your KM builds

Currently mounted on a Kris Holm freeride rime which is 47mm wide. Only 3mm shy of the rabbit hole.
    Floor to handlebar height increased by 19mm or .75" with the Knard. I'm measuring the casing width at 68.85mm currently.
    I'll be putting 40miles on this baby today and I shall post back with some better pics
    What's the PSI?

MTB B'dos
    Well that's sweet to know, means I could even fit one in my pre-production Prime What tyre were you running before that the Knard is 3/4 taller? Really want one of these on a nice wide rim now after reading your measurements, would def add some cush to the front end and help slack it out a bit, which I would rather like.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Formerly Carlos9
    still a few wrinkles to iron out but it really is a fun bike. oh, and the obligatory apologies for the crappy cell phone pics...!

Let's see your KM builds-km2.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-km1.jpg
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    I've been waiting to see a pic like that. Do let us know what you think of the extra rubber in front.
    Alright. Spent 7.5 hrs on a 36 mile, 3,790 ft elev ride today. First time on the Knard. A-MAZE-ING. Seriously, this thing lays so far over in the corners it's ridiculous. I never would've thought a 36 mile ride, fully rigid in my 30's would have ever, ever sounded like a good idea. Well I'm home now and feeling great. I attribute a lot of that to the extra squish I had up front today

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    What's the PSI?
    Started today with 10psi. Got over zealous and blipped a few psi with my finger before a downhill and found myself with my first pinch flat a few miles later.
    I'm thinking between 10-15psi is the sweet spot. Remember I'm running this tubed currently. I needed to get the tire seated/properly shaped before I try the tubeless route. I'm currently running 13-15psi in the rear Panaracer Rampage set-up ghetto/split tubeless. It has been flawless thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Well that's sweet to know, means I could even fit one in my pre-production Prime What tyre were you running before that the Knard is 3/4 taller? Really want one of these on a nice wide rim now after reading your measurements, would def add some cush to the front end and help slack it out a bit, which I would rather like.
    I was running a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 before the Knard. It was set-up ghetto/split tubeless as well as the rear. They were sweet, but I was itching for more float.
    The added cush CANNOT be overlooked. I rode a 7.5 hr ride today with 3,790' of elev and I think I would've been seriously abused if it weren't for the Knard. It is really that good. It's wild to experience the "basic tread" pattern in the real world. Pattern/Knob shape doesn't matter as much when the footprint is so HUGE

Fact of the matter is, the tire was $120 from my LBS. That is seriously hard to swallow for a guy who isn't exactly 'rollin in it' as far was money is concerned. With a few recent events that have occurred, I decided it was time.
    After today, I couldn't be more satisfied.
    If you own a Karate Monkey, Ogre, etc.. I cannot see the downfall to running the Knard up front. FWIW

Here's what you really want to see

Let's see your KM builds-dsc02074.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-dsc02083.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-dsc02077.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-dsc02087.jpg

Ask any questions that you'd like

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast