Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1300
    mtbr member

KM as city bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thats funny,im coming to the conclusion that a blunt 35 isnt quite wide enough to really support a 29x3 tire so i went back to a 29x2.4 on the front of my monkey...but im betting that once i get some trail time in im gonna want the big tire up front again...or a new suspension fork for it..getting spoiled by the bluto on the ict...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My Monkey.
    20160430_180048 by Boris Ka, on Flickr
    20160430_180116 by Boris Ka, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    5 years, 4th iteration. All awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-img_0749cw.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-img_0755cw.jpg  

mtbr member
    Put my grails back together and set everything up for a gravel grinder in two weeks:

Mid fats and skinny wheels will see primary duty. I suspect my 29" wheels will collect dust.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by firedfromthecircus View Post
    5 years, 4th iteration. All awesome!
    What stem is this? there's been a number of people on here looking for high rise but short length, a lot of the old options haven't been in supply
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    I had my first go at b+ wheels today.

Diggin it, for sure.
    Sweet! Did you build those wheels? I built my KM up as a gravel type bike with 40mm Nanos. I'm finding it kind of "meh" in that role. I want it to either be more road or off-road oriented. So, I ordered a 100mm fork and a pair of 29x2.4 tires. If I like it better as a chunky monkey, I may go for 27.5+. A quick search didn't find any prebuilt 27.5+ rims on 135/100 QR hubs. I guess I'll have to dust off the TS-2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Sweet! Did you build those wheels? I built my KM up as a gravel type bike with 40mm Nanos. I'm finding it kind of "meh" in that role. I want it to either be more road or off-road oriented. So, I ordered a 100mm fork and a pair of 29x2.4 tires. If I like it better as a chunky monkey, I may go for 27.5+. A quick search didn't find any prebuilt 27.5+ rims on 135/100 QR hubs. I guess I'll have to dust off the TS-2.
    Yeah, I had a buddy lace them up. Xt hubs, dtswiss xm551 hoops. Really solid setup.

mtbr member
    No rub with that 2.8. Dtswiss xm551.
    Actually plenty of clearance with the wheel slammed.
    awesome setup. hate to ask, but any pictures or measurements of clearance. that is, do you think you could get away with a 3.0 or 3.25? I'm running 26x3.0 knards on a 1x1 on Duallys with good clearance, but i'm wondering if i could run a taller and slightly fatter/knobbier tire on a KM..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newdee View Post
    awesome setup. hate to ask, but any pictures or measurements of clearance. that is, do you think you could get away with a 3.0 or 3.25? I'm running 26x3.0 knards on a 1x1 on Duallys with good clearance, but i'm wondering if i could run a taller and slightly fatter/knobbier tire on a KM..
    3.0 might be cutting it close. You'd have to slide the wheel back some (a lot) to get the tire in the meat of the widest part.
    3.25 is probably out of the question. I think I have like 7mm on each side with the tb. I have a 2.8 rocket Ron coming if the snakeskin sidewalls ever land in the country. I don't have access to a variety of plus tires, so that's about all I got for now.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    This is why I love the KM.

I had wheels and cockpit parts. Jimmy bought a frame and a drivetrain. Three hours later, we have a completely versatile, endlessly grin-inducing hardtail.

Since this is a thread completely dedicated to KM's, I am totally aware that this is 'just a black bike with baseline components.' To Jimmy, it's a gateway drug, a golden ticket, a new crush, a membership card. He loves the bike.

Check out the full build notes and inaugurate ride here:

Cookin' Climbs and Cleanin' Lines - Max, The Cyclist

Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Nice KM build, cool blog, and CONGRATS on graduation!
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2016 Surly Ogre

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cassa89 View Post
    Nice KM build, cool blog, and CONGRATS on graduation!
    Thanks, thanks, and THANKS!
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Second iteration. The first had Jones bars, rigid fork, and 40mm Nanos. I thought it would be good for rough roads, gravel, etc. I found that I prefer drop bars for that use, but the TT is too long to work with drops for me. So, a take-off suspension fork and 2.4" tires and it's a trail bike. Much better.

Let's see your KM builds-p1020161-xl.jpg

MTB B'dos
    Not sure what you're talking about, that's a damn decent build right there,especially for a "first" bike. 100% agree that the Monkey has to be one of the most versatile bikes out, especially if you don't have super knarly trails that suspension might be "needed" on - I still enjoy riding my rigid KM on those trails, just feel quite beat up when done, although a 29+ setup on the front and widest 29er rear or 650B+ rear has sure transformed it to be a bit more forgiving
    My Monkey is my oldest frame, have had it now 8 years next month and besides being a tad small for me to run a <70mm stem, I can't fault it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    This is why I love the KM.
    I had wheels and cockpit parts. Jimmy bought a frame and a drivetrain. Three hours later, we have a completely versatile, endlessly grin-inducing hardtail.

Since this is a thread completely dedicated to KM's, I am totally aware that this is 'just a black bike with baseline components.' To Jimmy, it's a gateway drug, a golden ticket, a new crush, a membership card. He loves the bike.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Picked up my Monkey last Friday and I am in love with this thing.

It made some of the local trails that were boring on a full suspension bike a blast. And this this is so versatile, its has a perfect place in my stable between a road bike and a full suspension bike. Its a true do it all bike.

Let's see your KM builds-20160515_103446.jpg

mtbr member

I just set a pr on one of my favorite local haunts on a rigid b+ tank. I don't know where to go from here, except faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Anyone know of a KM that has been made into a 650B commuter? I've seen some 650B MTB conversions but Compass has a 650B x 48mm tire that might turn a KM into a fine commuting machine.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I commute on a KM with 700x42 and while it rides nicely I would not want to go any lower with the bb. I already have to be careful going around bends.

mtbr member
    mine after the first ride:

Let's see your KM builds-dscf7992.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    about the 6th iteration of the monkey,this time as a singlespeed cafe racer/any road bike...yes,it grinds gravel just fine!

Let's see your KM builds-dsc03958.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc03961.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice! Similar to what i have in mind right now (got the on one mary bar now and flipped it upside down recently and dig it)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thats a surly open bar with rise flipped upside down,seems to be pretty comfy and excellent control

mtbr member
    Monkey #1 - Ghetto Enduro

MDS frame with 142 direct mount thru axle chip
    100mm Fox Float 32
    Gravity Dropper Turbo
    Conti MK 2.2 up front, XK 2.2 in the rear
    1x10, 30T front ring with 11-36 in the rear
    XT Drivetrain (Crank in pic is Deore but switched to my other bike)
    Stock Deore Discs
    Spank Spikes

Let's see your KM builds-13413046_1106520152748444_2202098436120028436_n-1-.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-13435302_1110073395726453_954673670834621746_n.jpg

Monkey #2 - Old-school XC

MDS frame with QR chip
    Stock KM fork
    Maxxis Ikon 2.4 front, 2.2 rear
    1x10 (now, pic shows 2x10) 36T front, 11-36 cassette
    Deore Drivetrain (pic shows XT crank)
    Stock Deore discs
    going to SPD candy 2 pedals soon

Let's see your KM builds-11202620_971213779612416_3011146607315768270_n.jpg

I ride both bikes about equal - I typically ride the hardtail/dropper bike on steeper terrain and the rigid bike gets some commuter duty on the bike path. Gearing and tire tread set up according.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Like a fart in a mitten...

mtbr member
    nice builds everyone, now mine looks more like this:

Let's see your KM builds-dscf0199.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dscf0193.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dscf0205.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Marsh Monkey

Let's see your KM builds-monkey-1.jpg
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

Not really fixed.
    Here are 4 out of the 7 Karate Monkeys in my friend circle. I know there have to be more in Portland Oregon and would love to get them all together for a meetup, hit me up if you're in the area and have a KM!

Let's see your KM builds-vw9zyumh.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can I ask if anyone is using an angled headset on their Monkey and if so has it made a difference for the better? Also can an angled headset be used with a suspension fork? I am sitting on the fence itching to get a Monkey... the fork angle just looks a tad on the steep side to me.

Any help much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kirkwood View Post
    Can I ask if anyone is using an angled headset on their Monkey and if so has it made a difference for the better? Also can an angled headset be used with a suspension fork? I am sitting on the fence itching to get a Monkey... the fork angle just looks a tad on the steep side to me.

Any help much appreciated.
    The new monkey has a slacker front end and accepts the 27.5 plus.

mtbr member
    old Monkey 71.5 (only small frame) and 72 (all others), new Monkey 69

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks guys, but unfortunately the new Monkey will not be available in the UK for quite a while yet, hence why I am looking at discounted old stock of the current version.

mtbr member
    Three cheers for the old Monkey and sharp handling! I'm keeping mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rhubarb View Post

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rhubarb View Post
    Minor correction but the 2008 catalog lists the small KM as 71 and the medium (which I own) as 71.5. Large & X-Large are 72.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I want a new one, and I have no intention of getting rid of the one I have now. Best of both worlds!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Minor correction but the 2008 catalog lists the small KM as 71 and the medium (which I own) as 71.5. Large & X-Large are 72.
    oops sorry, you're absolutely right.
    not too sure about the benefits of the new Monkey's dropouts either, not a good idea to pinch a frame, even if it's steel..

mtbr member
    Me too. But I did put a 100mm corrected rigid fork on it. Still, it's more precise than most modern geo.
    I have no complaints.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Plus, the old-old-style Monkeys look better!

Let's see your KM builds-img_0019.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-img_0016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yup,im gonna give the new monkey a try when they come out,but i wont give up my current one....maybe not one of the classic monkeys,think its a 2014 model,but a darn fine bike...

just put an oval chainring on...bought it for the orange monkey when they come out but no reason not to give it a whirl on the trails...so back to flat bars for a bit....i really like it in kruiser monkey mode,perfect bike to grab and go for those quick trips around town...

Let's see your KM builds-dsc04081.jpgLet's see your KM builds-dsc04082.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Some beautiful bikes here.

I am right on the L/XL frame size being 6ft2. And a half. I really really don't want a frame that I feel cramped on, but the XL frame looks absolutely massive. Any advice?

Also, there is frame above (Bor1ska) with Rockshox forks that looks like it has a tapered headset. Is the current Monkey (i.e the one before the one that has only just been released) not a straight steerer 1+1/8th only?

mtbr member
    can't give you advice on sizing, but since 2015 the Karate Monkey has a 44mm Headtube (which lets you use tapered forks), before there was only 1 1/8"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im 6'6" and an xl karate monkey works well for me i think because its a fairly small bike compared to my xl krampus or xxl ICT it seems like a flickable little rocket bike...but it also seems to work well with a longer stem like 100mm as opposed to my ICT that has a 50mm stem and riser bars...

so i guess it would depend on use...trail ripper maybe go with the large frame and longer stem...road cruiser i might go with the xl frame then...

likes beer
    wife's ride:

mtbr member
    Regarding sizing, I'm 6'3" and currently have an XL. My seat height is 32", measured from the bottom bracket spindle along the seat tube:

Back in the day, I used to have a Large sized frame:

But I'm quite a bit happier with the fit on the XL. The taller head tube and longer top tube work better for me.

mtbr member
    What's the bottom bracket height with the B+ wheels? I'm kinda sorta thinking about doing this to my KM, but worried about pedal strikes.

Thanks!

I just set a pr on one of my favorite local haunts on a rigid b+ tank. I don't know where to go from here, except faster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What's the bottom bracket height with the B+ wheels? I'm kinda sorta thinking about doing this to my KM, but worried about pedal strikes.

Thanks!
    Theoretically, a 650B x 3" wheel/tire combo will have a radius of 372 (as calculated by a bike trail calculator). Subtract the bottom bracket drop of the old-style KM of 68 and you have the BB height with that wheel/tire combo. The BB height might be a little bit lower due to tire deformation from rider's weight but it should be relatively close.

372 - 68 = 30.4cm BB height or 11.96 inches. Pretty typical for mountain bikes.

A KM with a 29 x 2.4" tire also has a BB height of 30.4 cm. With 27.5 x 3" tires, you get the same handling but much more cushion and traction.

Almost seems like a no-brainer if you don't mind spending the money for new wheels & tires or if you already have them on hand.

If someone made a high quality 27.5 x 3" slick, I would seriously consider going this route.

mtbr member
    This might be true if 3" tires really ran 3" wide, but I've only seen the KM fit a 2.8" WTB in the rear, and it's widely known that tire is undersized relative to its label.

One actual measurement is worth a lot of theory.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Theoretically, a 650B x 3" wheel/tire combo will have a radius of 372 (as calculated by a bike trail calculator). Subtract the bottom bracket drop of the old-style KM of 68 and you have the BB height with that wheel/tire combo. The BB height might be a little bit lower due to tire deformation from rider's weight but it should be relatively close.

372 - 68 = 30.4cm BB height or 11.96 inches. Pretty typical for mountain bikes.

A KM with a 29 x 2.4" tire also has a BB height of 30.4 cm. With 27.5 x 3" tires, you get the same handling but much more cushion and traction.

Almost seems like a no-brainer if you don't mind spending the money for new wheels & tires or if you already have them on hand.

If someone made a high quality 27.5 x 3" slick, I would seriously consider going this route.

MTB B'dos
    Easy, if you think you liked B+ F&R , try B+ rear/29+ front, you'll set even more PR

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

3 KM`s and their evolution

Have had 3 KM`s over the last 8 years, all went through differant specs, and sold on as 29+ these days..
    Started with a red Km that would later get a suss fork and then KrisHolm 47mm wheels...
    cheviots,cannon 002 by Bruce, on Flickr

004 by Bruce, on Flickr

Harvest cycle, North Berwick 023 by Bruce, on Flickr

2; My favourite the Black Monkey, started as a wide riser bar 2x9 gears thrasher then got some drop bar Woodchippers and became a monstercross..
    MK II Surly Karate Monkey 004 by Bruce, on Flickr

MK II Surly Karate Monkey 012 by Bruce, on Flickr

Drop bar Karate Monkey; 44 miler loop 044 by Bruce, on Flickr

Drop bar Karate Monkey; 44 miler loop 087 by Bruce, on Flickr

Drop bar Karate Monkey; 44 miler loop 105 by Bruce, on Flickr

Then an older but unbuilt Grey frame set and some Rabbit Hole Wheels and 2.4 rear 2.5 front Minion tyres...
    29 x 2.5 Minion&#x60;s 009 by Bruce, on Flickr

Karate Monkey - Mid Nov Woods cycle 003 by Bruce, on Flickr

The grey build went onto a Krampus, while the drop bar build went onto an ECR, Funny after a year they are now both sold as too single purpose for me, and i`m back to my two Pugsleys, the origunal with Alfine IGH, and the new Pug with 2x9 gears, with a shared front 29+ and IGH 29+ rear wheel and 29+ 9 speed rear wheel i have two bikes that can be run 29". 29+, or with 4" fat wheels...
    100mm BB allows a 4" wide frame bag that fits Gas stove bottles and more room,

Been a big circle of bikes and builds to settle with the fat bike frame sets from the original Pugsley

18th Aug; Midweek cycle 015 by Bruce, on Flickr

28th Jan; John Muir Park, Tyninghame coastride 027 by Bruce, on Flickr
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Easy, if you think you liked B+ F&R , try B+ rear/29+ front, you'll set even more PR
    Hah. I rode a stock krampus and wasn't too wowed by it, otherwise I'd have bought it on the spot.

I did just put a 100mm corrected steel fork on it to recover some of the lost bb, but I haven't ridden it yet.

mtbr member

Thanks!
    I forget. I had a list with heights and stuff but I had deleted it a few weeks ago because all my stuff is generally set up the way it'll stay (for a while).
    I'm pretty sure it's about 3/8" lower than a 29 with the 2.4 I had on there.

Pedal strikes happen, regardless of bike, but once you get used to a specific bike it becomes second nature how/when to push and when to hold off for a split second until you know you're clear.

From a later post of yours, it now has a maxxis ikon 2.8 on the back, as well as the 100mm corrected rigid fork.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526