Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1359
    mtbr member
    I just want you all to know that I really love this bike. I look at it and want to ride it. And then when I'm riding it, I want to ride it. Not sure if it's the steel, the geometry, a super sick SS combo of both or what, but cotdamn.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I've been looking at the v rubber 29x2.8 slick for an upcoming bike tour on the KM. Would that fit on the front fork? P-35 rim.
    KM fork can take 29+ stuff w/o issue...your 2.8" tire ain't nothin'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    I just want you all to know that I really love this bike. I look at it and want to ride it. And then when I'm riding it, I want to ride it. Not sure if it's the steel, the geometry, a super sick SS combo of both or what, but cotdamn.
    Go try and ride it a lowes right now...that will curb the urge to ride it for a while!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Flashes.
    The only real disc brake issue is calipers fouling rear rack's.

I intend to run mine on 6" discs, but don't see an issue with 180, i will try 200 to see if they fit when everything comes out of storage.

For downhill racing on hardtail i use M4's with 180/160 and organic pads, i have some later M4 techs for the Monk but no discs or mounts yet.

I have raced on v-brakes DH/xc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    i know right? its just such a fun bike..ive run mine with gears several times and always start thinking "i wish this thing had a front shock" but as soon as i go back to singlespeed i always think its the funnest bike ever...like it was silly to even consider gears on a karate monkey.....then i remember how much riding singlespeed can suck sometimes...when i get "gear lazy" again...those dang dinner plate 42 tooth cogs!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    yes....

i have since converted the karate monkey back to single speed,there was only one spot in the drops that the derailleur would work and it just wasnt far enough back to keep the tire from rubbing under hard pedaling or cornering....indeed i managed to snap a qr in a vain attempt to keep the tire from rubbing...but as a single speed running a 32/19 i was able to cut the chain just right to get the tire better positioned between the chainstays so no more rubbing...and im loving the extra cush the fat monkey brings...
    I'm about to embark on the KM + Blunt 35 + FbN experiment myself. What do we think about using Tuggnuts to get the position in the drops just right?

Of course, that's assuming the tuggnut can clear my rear derailleur. I've seen a few examples where ppl have chopped off the bottle opener portion of the tuggnut to make that happen. Is this something you've already considered? Think it would work?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    lol,im pretty sure if you take the beer opening part off a surly product some sort of inter-dimensional rift will open up!!
    i think you will need to saw those tabs off for it to work...

and i should note the fbn is almost alarmingly thin at the sidewalls,so far so good but it is also a mighty squirmy tire at lower pressure...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    and i should note the fbn is almost alarmingly thin at the sidewalls,so far so good but it is also a mighty squirmy tire at lower pressure...
    That's a little disheartening but I still think it will be fun to give it a try. Thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    keep in mind i live in the desert so its all rocks,different kind of rocks,sharp pointy plants of all sorts,some more rocks....not a tire friendly place...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    keep in mind i live in the desert so its all rocks,different kind of rocks,sharp pointy plants of all sorts,some more rocks....not a tire friendly place...
    Yeah I was more worried about the squirmy part. Then again, there are a lot of variables that go into that equation. We'll find out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Go try and ride it a lowes right now...that will curb the urge to ride it for a while!!
    BAH, some parts were mushy enough with the fat bike this weekend!
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    i know right? its just such a fun bike..ive run mine with gears several times and always start thinking "i wish this thing had a front shock" but as soon as i go back to singlespeed i always think its the funnest bike ever...like it was silly to even consider gears on a karate monkey.....then i remember how much riding singlespeed can suck sometimes...when i get "gear lazy" again...those dang dinner plate 42 tooth cogs!

YAS! I'm with you with thinking about a shock and gears, but then I just remind myself that I bought it because it is a rigid SS. Would love to get a geared/front shocked one for my wife* though.

*lol no for me.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Not my first bike, but my first build.
    I'd appreciate constructive criticism.
    I know my cables are too long.
    I know that's a lot of spacers on the fork!

Let's see your KM builds-p1030621.jpg

Let's see your KM builds-img_20150420_173731.jpg
    Out to ride

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    I'm curious why you didn't go with a larger frame, was standover clearance an issue?

mtbr member
    Looks nice - very clean looking build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    I'm curious why you didn't go with a larger frame, was standover clearance an issue?
    Funny you should ask.

I bought the frame used via the internet. The seller said it was an XL frame. When it arrived, I saw it was L. I decided to go ahead with the build, as one of my goals was the education. I figured I could make it fit. Well, I couldn't. In fact, I've recently acquired an XL frame and am about to move the parts over.
    Out to ride

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Does the KM handle similar to my pugsley?

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    Does the KM handle similar to my pugsley?
    No.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    No, way different.......

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I keep hearing that it is playful.. Just how playful is it? Like among the most playful of 29er hardtails?

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Think massive BMX.....I have 2 KMs and 2 Pugsleys and if the garage caught fire and I could only save one would go for the Purple Pug (oh and the black fixed KM)......

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 on the big bmx vibe, that has been floating around for years.

Done some DH racing on my KM, along with singlespeed racing and general xc playing around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-525799_396215257086058_741349203_n.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-577389_431875436840243_1071646465_n.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-002.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-016.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-003_1.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-377607_10151509510845530_812599149_n.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-602135_480143318706698_1168669260_n.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-001.jpg  

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I'm gonna have to disagree here. Having ridden BMX for the last 15 years I can say that the KM feels nothing like a BMX bike.

Edit: After riding mine home I will partially retract this statement. If you were to size down, run ss, a rigid fork, and some riser bars you could ride the KM around like a BMX bike, but the geo would make it kind of suck at something like a pump track or dirt jumps. And I wouldn't want to be caught dead on one at a skate park, for multiple reasons.
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 02-17-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    You misunderstand, the Pugsley is like a big BMX, I find my KMs v different.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    my pug feels like a heavy rolling contraption.. Does the KM improve in this regard?

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Take the Nates off, if you have them. The tyres make a difference. My Pugs are SS and fixed, so the weight isn't too bad. That KMs roll well, I've covered 100 miles off road in a day on the fixed gear KM and am not sure how long that would take on either Pug...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sorry for cluttering up the KM pic thread with a question, but this seems to be right place to ask.

I'm toying with the idea of building up a Karate Monkey OPS frame. Mid-level Shimano and SRAM 2x9 mix of parts, some parts I have on hand, those cheap Deore/Sun Rhyno Lite wheels that Nashbar sells, some Jones-ish handlebars. Kind of like the Ogre complete stock build. Why not buy the Ogre? I'm not a fan of the track ends. I like the idea of the MDS chips.

Anyway, I added up the cost of my build, and it's about the same as the complete KM OPS. I don't really need the Fox fork as this will be for rough road, multi-use path, easy trails, etc. Maybe some light bikepacking. As we know, it's always cheaper to buy complete bikes than to build ourselves, so I'm wondering if I should go that way and swap out the fork for a rigid KM fork, swap the bars and be happy. I could swap the fork back if I decide to use the bike for rougher terrain or resell it. Or, just build it up as planned and get exactly what I want. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks!

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    Sorry for cluttering up the KM pic thread with a question, but this seems to be right place to ask.

I'm toying with the idea of building up a Karate Monkey OPS frame. Mid-level Shimano and SRAM 2x9 mix of parts, some parts I have on hand, those cheap Deore/Sun Rhyno Lite wheels that Nashbar sells, some Jones-ish handlebars. Kind of like the Ogre complete stock build. Why not buy the Ogre? I'm not a fan of the track ends. I like the idea of the MDS chips.

Anyway, I added up the cost of my build, and it's about the same as the complete KM OPS. I don't really need the Fox fork as this will be for rough road, multi-use path, easy trails, etc. Maybe some light bikepacking. As we know, it's always cheaper to buy complete bikes than to build ourselves, so I'm wondering if I should go that way and swap out the fork for a rigid KM fork, swap the bars and be happy. I could swap the fork back if I decide to use the bike for rougher terrain or resell it. Or, just build it up as planned and get exactly what I want. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks!

Complete
    Complete
    Complete
    Complete
    Complete

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Complete
    Complete
    Complete
    Complete
    Complete
    What happened to "The best bike is the one you carefully curate yourself."? Haha.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    What happened to "The best bike is the one you carefully curate yourself."? Haha.
    I still like that mentality, but getting all those components for a reduced price gives you so many more options for noodling around down the line. Suspension? Rigid? Singlespeed? Multispeed? You can do anything you want when you own half a drivetrain and a complete bike.

Buying a complete bike is almost always a better deal unless you already own more than half the parts (or both wheels). The stock wheels on the KM are much nicer than the cheap Deore wheels this guy was gonna get. The complete is just a MUCH better use of your money.

I just bought a complete Pugsley. Already swapped the drivetrain, seat, seatpost, and tires, but now I have extras of some stuff I wanted and I have enough spare parts to help outfit a buddy.

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Sounds like a plan....

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The stock wheels on the KM are Deore hubs and Alex rims. I think the Nashbar Deore/Rhyno lite wheels are as good. Only difference is the stock KM wheels are through-axle. For my intended application, neither is better.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    The SS KM might also be an option, since the rear hub is a cassette hub. Depending on what parts you have, all you'd need is a shifter, derailleur, and cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The SS KM might also be an option, since the rear hub is a cassette hub. Depending on what parts you have, all you'd need is a shifter, derailleur, and cassette.
    That one doesn't have the MDS dropouts.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    That one doesn't have the MDS dropouts.
    I built one four months ago, it does.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I built one four months ago, it does.
    Good to know, thanks.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Good to know, thanks.
    No prob, dude! Comes in a great color, too, the mint one. Double-check with your LBS that they still have the 2015 model. 2016 is probably perfect too; can't think of a reason why they'd remove the MDS dropouts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    No prob, dude! Comes in a great color, too, the mint one. Double-check with your LBS that they still have the 2015 model. 2016 is probably perfect too; can't think of a reason why they'd remove the MDS dropouts.
    I just looked up the parts spec on the SS, it's pretty bad. And I don't like color, sorry.

I see a black KM OPS frameset in my future.

mtbr member
    I just looked up the parts spec on the SS, it's pretty bad. And I don't like color, sorry.

I see a black KM OPS frameset in my future.

Solid build for the price. Only thing I upgraded was the brakes - to TRP Spykes.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    here is my drop bar karate monkey I just finished building up

IMG_7327 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    nice!

I liked the instigator on the Flikr page too!

Quote Originally Posted by tim_w_sage View Post
    here is my drop bar karate monkey I just finished building up

IMG_7327 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Fresh color change!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-img_5339.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dragged it out of dark deep storage.

Found a clear corner of a room to set up the workstand.

Need to decide on brake rotor size and get correct caliper mounts for the M4's. The Hope levers don't fit the oversize drop bars so back to risers.

Might even add some gears, as everything is here for that

And a close up of the chain tugs i use when running the 120mm track wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-001.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-002.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-001.jpg  

dying hurts.
    Fresh color change!
    this rules.
    powdercoat?
    whats the ral color...any idea?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Riser bars back on.
    v-brakes off.
    cracked the studs off after the photo too.
    Will most likely stick with 180-160 rotors, tempted by 180-180, if i had them here i would try 200-200 for lols, certain thats a bit much for the front wheel quick release to cope with
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-003.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-004.jpg  

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace. View Post
    if i had them here i would try 200-200 for lols, certain thats a bit much for the front wheel quick release to cope with
    Yeah, I've got a 203 on the front on mine now because it was hanging around, too much flex in the fork has it rubbing the pads and making terrible noises when not braking, 180s on both ends was just fine
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    i was more worried about brake torque ripping the the front wheel out while racing. Only having used discs for the last 10 years on 20mm bolt through front axles, i can't remember what discs on normal axles is like.

Good to hear real world feed back on the 203 TitanofChaos.
    I have had a good play around with caliper mounts i have.
    I can run 180 up front fine.
    I either need a new disc or mount for the rear.
    I think it stay at 180-160 as i raced hardtail allright on that and the rigid Monk won't be faster than a bombered up 853reynolds hardtail.

Just need a new 160 caliper rear mount now, which is fairly cheap

mtbr member
    Fresh color change!
    Dude! That looks awesome! Looks like a really deep, dark red or purple?

The front of the saddle looks pretty LOL though.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Fresh color change!
    Can you tell us how you did the paint?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm breakin' my teeth off
    tryna bite my lip

There's all kinds of red colored bikes
    That I ain't supposed to ride
    Last edited by ultraspontane; 03-25-2016 at 04:11 AM.