Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
    my dog's Frisbee launcher
    dim, My Reba is set at 80mm....have you road a 29er? you may find you won't need the thudbuster, the back wheel rolls over stuff a 26" pings off of...make for a smother ride....
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Foot, i currently have a hardtail 29er that is aluminum with a susser fork. I live in Georgia and ride a lot of roots and rocks. The stiff ride is getting rougher as I get older. I wanted to ride steel because of its compliant qualities. I guess I could ride it rigid without the thud and see how it feels. It may be good enough without it.
    "I have come to kick ass and chew bubblegum....and I'm all outta bubblegum".

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quadingle Monkey

Surly Karate Monkey 4-Speed

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Super cool! What are the four gear combinations?

Is it safe to assume that you'll put a 26" fat front on there at some point?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The chainrings were 32/36, 22/18 and 20/16. Sold the KM shortly after putting 650b wheels on the Troll, the fork may end up on it. May go pudgy, not sure about fat.

mtbr member
    Back in Jun '07,I ordered a KM frameset, but then decided to go custom and sent it back. The custom frame wasn't all I'd hoped for, and once you sell a custom frame, all bets are off. Now, 37 bikes later, I'm back at a Karate Monkey:

I like it quite a bit. The handling is fun, the shorter chainstays and shorter front center (compared to my Soma Juice) give it better handling through the corners. However, I do miss the more supple ride and flexibility of the Juice frame. I was hoping this Monkey frame would bring me full circle so I could end the buying spree, but not... quite... yet....

R.I.P. Pugsley.

Work in progress.

It's not completely finished, but i just couldn't resist taking it out for a short ride.

2012 KM
    CK headset.
    Hope Pro2 evo hubs, sapim spokes and P35 rims with big Apple's.
    Hope Ti-6 rear and Hope M-4 front(not yet installed) brakes. (will be replaced for black/green Hope M-4 tech's)
    E*13 triple crank & BB.
    DMR V-8 acid green pedals.
    Sram cash-green cassette.
    XTR derr and shifter.
    KMC chain.
    Thomson seatpost.
    Lepper saddle.
    Da-Bomb stem.
    Spank B*tchstick bars.

I still have to get :
    XTR front derr.
    Thomson stem.
    Green grips.
    Green Brooks saddle.
    And a squishy fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-dscn1456.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-dscn1459.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-dscn1461.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-dscn1462.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    2013 KM.

King hubs & Stan's added the Enve bars as well. Next will be a carbon seat post, and better brakes.

The new wheel set completely changed the bike. Night & day.

Let's see your KM builds-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353505963.648249.jpg

Just Ride!
    Love the Blue! Someone just scored a new in the box large frameset last week on ebay for $300 plus shipping. I should have clicked "Buy it Now" and asked for forgiveness later.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Just a quick question for the people that are running a 3x9 drivetrain.
    Somewhere next week i'm going to order some parts and i was wondering what derraileur i should pick.
    I'm going for a XTR, but what type ?
    Top pull is all i know for sure.
    But should i get a high or a low clamp version ?

Thank's in advance.

mtbr member
    haloblue -- What are you planning to switch your brakes to? If you wouldn't mind a suggestion, you might consider instead just upgrading cable and levers. Avid Ultimate levers and XTR cables made my BB7s feel better than any brake I've ever touched. Just a thought...

FWIW, I have since replaced the Ultimate levers, as I needed some cash and had a set of SD7 levers around. Honestly they feel nearly as good as the Ultimates with quality cable, at about 1/10th of the price. Much much better than the FR5s though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi KarateBoys, i need to know exactly dimensịn seat tube KM16/2012-2013, 406, 440mm?? Thank you very much.
    Last edited by BlueViajero; 11-23-2012 at 03:09 AM.

mtbr member
    The 16" KM is 406mm. The Surly site shows this clearly on the geometry picture:

Karate Monkey | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Note that this measures to the top of the seat tube brace--there's a bit of extra seat tube material poking above this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueViajero View Post
    Hi KarateBoys, i need to know exactly dimensịn seat tube KM16/2012-2013, 406, 440mm?? Thank you very much.

Always Learning
    I just skimmed the 550+ posts on this thread and looked closely at all of the pictures. I came to the obvious conclusion: Surly, your head tube length is way too short on all versions, and all sizes of the Karate Monkey.

Either that, or we have all become addicted to the Mary Poppins riding position.

Outside of maybe one or two Monkey's I saw in this thread - the spacers and stems with rise are loaded up to the gills to get the bars up high enough when building a Monkey.

I was fiddling and puttering with mine today taking it from a V-Brake SS rigid bike to a disc brake SS rigid bike. Of course, mine is old school vintage 2002-3 and the new versions have a taller head tube length in size XL (like 20mm longer). to Surly for doing that.

I could see that with a 100mm fork and the new head tube length on the size XL, I could get away with 0 spacers. But running the rigid fork and flat bars would still require a bit of something to get it up. I've got some new Origin 8 bars and have a 120mm 0 degree Thomson X4 coming. I'm going to try and slam the stem to see how it handles, even though my position will be a bit more aggressive on the bike than my other bikes. I've got room on the steerer tube for 25 to 28mm of spacers if need be. And I've got a REBA sitting around I could adjust to 100mm to give the front end a boost.

Okay - rant is over....and the need for 20 - 20+ mm of spacers or other plumbing endeavors will continue until Surly does more updates.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 11-30-2012 at 02:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    ...would still require quite a bit of something to get it up...
    I've never had this issue with my bikes I do see what you're saying, though. You'd think for touring bikes like their Troll and Ogre, they'd give them a bit longer headtubes. Other than the dropouts and cable guides, the Troll/1x1 and KM/Ogre are the same (amiright?).

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I've never had this issue with my bikes I do see what you're saying, though. You'd think for touring bikes like their Troll and Ogre, they'd give them a bit longer headtubes. Other than the dropouts and cable guides, the Troll/1x1 and KM/Ogre are the same (amiright?).
    That I don't know.

I just know my HT length is 105mm on the size XL Monkey and the new ones are 125mm. Compared to a size XL Niner where the HT length is 145mm, the Surly bikes seem so "beehind" the times with the HT length.

Salsa is 140mm for their XL's
    Niner is 145mm for their XL's

Not only the XL size, but other sizes as well. Not that there is anything wrong with spacers and high rise stems (and riser bars), but I do like the look of not having to do any of that on my other bikes...

I could, with a 100mm suspension fork, get away with a 10mm spacer and the Thomson 0 degree X4 stem. However, with the rigid fork and short HT on the Monkey I imagine I will be jacking up the amount of spacers to the tune of 20-25mm. Which pretty much mirrors what I am seeing in all of the pictures in this mega-thread.

My previous build of the Monkey using 130mm 17 degree Thomson stem and 25mm of stems which still has the bars a bit below the saddle. That's some serious plumbing....

Ardents on KM

My newest build (disc brake) will feature different bars and stem with a bit more aggressive position on the bike. Yet will require quite a few spacers to get me where I need to be.

mtbr member
    You know, if you average it out, the head tube on the KM is therefore growing about 2mm/year. That means the head tube will eventually reach an appropriate length... in about 15 more years.

I just skimmed the 550+ posts on this thread and looked closely at all of the pictures. I came to the obvious conclusion: Surly, your head tube length is way too short on all versions, and all sizes of the Karate Monkey.

Outside of maybe one or two Monkey's I saw in this thread - the spacers and stems with rise are loaded up to the gills to get the bars up high enough when building a Monkey.

I was fiddling and puttering with mine today taking it from a V-Brake SS rigid bike to a disc brake SS rigid bike. Of course, mine is old school vintage 2002-3 and the new versions have a taller head tube length in size XL (like 20mm longer).

I could see that with a 100mm fork and the new head tube length on the size XL, I could get away with 0 spacers. But running the rigid fork and flat bars would still require quite a bit of something to get it up. I've got some new Origin 8 bars and have a 120mm 0 degree Thomson X4 coming.

Okay - rant is over....and the need for 20 - 20+ mm of spacers will continue until Surly does updates.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The 16" KM is 406mm. The Surly site shows this clearly on the geometry picture:Karate Monkey | Bikes | Surly Bikes Note that this measures to the top of the seat tube brace--there's a bit of extra seat tube material poking above this.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to know the dimensịn of extra seat tube material, 3-4cms??
    Necesito conocer la medida extra de esa parte del tubo para saber la talla final que parece ser una 43 ̣ 44, mi altura es de 1.73m./5.67ft, me gusta la 16 pero me da miedo a que se me quede corta de tubo sillin.
    Me cuesta mucho dirigirme a Vds en ingles, le pido disculpas.
    Un saludo, best regards.

Industry Vet
    Jul 2012
    anyone know if a 3 speed nexus bell crank will clear the dropout? I've searched and searched but have not been able to find this out. I've ordered the hub already and want to build a 29er but need to know before I buy the frameset.

I also noticed a ton of these bikes with loads of headset spacers under the stem and a flat bar. Why not lower the stem down and run a riser bar? just curious
    Last edited by JeepDave; 11-25-2012 at 10:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Have not put much thought into it yet, but but ill take a look.

Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    My new KM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-image.jpg  

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Rated View Post
    My new KM.
    Gotta say, you've turned the Surly KM world upside down with that build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Rated View Post
    My new KM.
    I need to flip my macbook up-side-down in order for me to appreciate the beauty of your bike
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Always Learning

10th Anniversary Build: From V-Brakes to a Disc Brake KM...

My previous build of the Monkey using 130mm 17 degree Thomson stem and 25mm of stems which still has the bars a bit below the saddle. That's some serious plumbing....

Ardents on KM

My newest build (disc brake) will feature different bars and stem with a bit more aggressive position on the bike. Yet will require quite a few spacers to get me where I need to be.
    Okay, enough moaning and groaning about the Head Tube Length from me. My Monkey turns 10 years old in a few months, so it was time to celebrate.

I slammed my new stem (Thomson 120mm 0 degree) all the way down to the headset and rode it on last night's dog walk and this morning. I moved a 5mm spacer under the stem after the dog walk to account for a possible purchase of either the King taller crown race plate or a Plus 5mm bottom headset cup to see what that would be like. I'll ride it around like that today on my commute to and from work to see if I could live with that. I didn't mind the lower, slammed all the way to the headset set up with this stem as it's a nice aggressive position that I like on XC race bikes. But the 5mm experiment may answer all questions before I cut any steerer tube.

Here's the latest Karate Monkey XL version for me (and I've had this thing built in all shapes and sizes since buying it in the summer of 2003 - believe me).

KMDisc

And the udder side....

KM5mmSpacer
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 12-01-2012 at 10:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Disc brakes! Oh, the horror!

It's just a little sad to see one of the few rim brake frames still on the market succumb to discs... though even I often run a mullet on either my Juice or KM.

KM5mmSpacer

Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast