Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by my2hands View Post
    Yep, both of my other bikes are shiny...the black Cross Check...and the Green Kelly Ro Sham Bo, so I decided that I would go all black with the Karate Monkey with red Chris King headset and red leather bar wrap. I'll post pics tonight after work of the "fleet."

For what it's worth, I am 6'1" and have the 16 inch frame. I love it...but I have drop bars and super long seatpost. It's as comfortable as my Cross Check.
    I believe the red color gives the impression of the brave, so the combination of battleship grey, all black and red makes your karate monkey look dashing brave

I was wondering with your height 6'1" you are using a size 16?

mtbr member

My Karate Monkey

Last edited by my2hands; 07-24-2012 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    ^Nice. I've got Alfine envy..

Did you just happen upon the 16" or chose it over an 18"? I'm 6'1 as well, and I ride a 20" with flat bars, but I feel like if I was to run drops I'd get the 18.

How do you like the Halo's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstews View Post
    ^Nice. I've got Alfine envy..

Did you just happen upon the 16" or chose it over an 18"? I'm 6'1 as well, and I ride a 20" with flat bars, but I feel like if I was to run drops I'd get the 18.

How do you like the Halo's?
    Thanks. I had the old blue Karate Monkey in 18 inches and didn't like how it felt with drop bars. I never had a flat bar on it, but my Kelly 29er is 18 inches with a riser bar, and it fits perfectly. But, I have a longer Thomson stem on it and a Thomson seatpost with some major setback.

I have mixed reviews on the Halos as I have the 700x38's on my Cross Check. They are amazing on pavement and hardpack trails - but so are Schwalbe Big Apples which I highly recommend. However, I had to buy another tire after I had a blow out on the sidewall of the tire when I hit a root. I should of went with a Schwalbe tire, but I bought another Halo Twin Rail instead. Also, I wiped out a couple months ago on a bike path here in Northern Virginia with my Cross Check after I hit a patch of wet leaves. Not really the tires fault, I was flying and should of known right after a good rain to take it easy on the path.

Oh, the Alfine. It's awesome...but really heavy laced to the Velocity Chukkers. I've never had a bike that rides like this Karate Monkey...including my Kelly which has True Temper OX Platinum tubes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dominikusbw View Post
    I believe the red color gives the impression of the brave, so the combination of battleship grey, all black and red makes your karate monkey look dashing brave

I was wondering with your height 6'1" you are using a size 16?
    Thanks! I am riding a 16...the ride is really stiff with the compact geometry - my reasoning behind a 16 inch frame. The large tires absorb an amazing amount of vibration and bumps. I deflate them on the trails, per the Halo instructions on the side of tire, so that the inverted knobs dig in. Sheldon Brown talks about how with modern components - stems and seatpost are so strong now that you can afford to run them very long - you can ride smaller frames for the benefits of the compact geometry.

I am sold.
    Last edited by my2hands; 07-24-2012 at 06:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the reply

after seeing the last 3 builds posted here, including the one with drop bars, all size 16, i think i'm going to stick with the same size when the time comes for me to buy the new version KM frame

(edit: if, i don't get a hold of the new krampus29+ first, haha)
    biker boy

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by my2hands View Post
    So awesome!

mtbr member

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    So awesome!
    I will say that the Alfine hub is a little heavy, but this bike is amazingly easy to get air borne. I was hitting every root I could find on the Cross Country trail here in Northern VA yesterday. I've had drop bar mountain bikes before, but I think what makes this bike so comfortable and easy to control is the Salsa Cowbell drop bars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My KM in touring mode: Axiom rear rack and Salsa Bell Lap bars, Anything Cages, and Fargo fork. Perfect for hauling a tent, sleeping bag, pad, clothes and food!

Last edited by keevohn; 08-16-2012 at 08:18 PM.

Abby Normal
    Just put an On-One carbon fork on my KM. Not a whole lot lighter than the stock fork (< half pound), but definitely smooths the ride out a bit. Love, love the 2.4 Ardents as well.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Where about in CO is that, not familiar with those trail names. I rode mainly around Ft. Collins and Loveland when I visited and a bit out in Gunnison, so rode the 401, Monarch Crest, Hartmans Rocks and a lot of the trails around FC and LL. Can't imagine not having gears for any of those places I rode Maybe it's that I dislaike having to chose just one gear that is maybe only appropriate for 25-50% of a ride and have to either spin like a hamster on crack or mash/walk.
    Colorado Springs for the Falcon Trail.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Congrats on your move to the mountains!!!

I see an AM 29"er in your very near future.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy has been catching my eye lately, but so has a TT bike and I just finished my first CX race yesterday and a carbon Stevens frame would be cool). I need more time to ride and less work, but the less work means less bike $$. I want to do the Kokopelli trail so a geared bike is in my future, yet the roads here are epic and my road bike is awesome. I'm in biking heaven right now and generally have fits of indecisiveness when I hit the garage to go ride. Road, yes please. Gravel on my CX bikes, I'll take some of that too. Mountain, of course.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Updated my Monkey the other day. I posted before and this is my hacked up KM. I cut off all of the derailleur bits as well as the v-brake posts and rack and fender braze-ons. I then got it custom coated this blue, only to find out that the 2013 KM color is pretty close to this blue. Kinda funny! Now I can just tell people that I have been riding a prototype 2013 for a couple years! I bought a White Brothers Rock Solid from a customer at work and dropped .60 lbs off of the stock fork weight. Now sitting at 25 lbs complete. Pretty happy!

Build:
    KM frame with said adjustments
    White Bros Rock Solid fork
    Syncros FR headset
    3T Pro stem, post and bar
    Hope Tech X2 brakes
    Charge Spoon seat
    Bontrager Race cranks, which will be swapped out next, 32t sprocket
    ODI Ruffian grips
    Profile Racing hubs, 17t cog
    DT Swiss spokes
    Velocity P35 rims
    Continental Race King tires
    Fly Ruben pedals, which will also be swapped soon

Sorry for the bad pic, I did what I could!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-100_1333.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-100_1335.jpg  

My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Updated my Monkey the other day. I posted before and this is my hacked up KM. I cut off all of the derailleur bits as well as the v-brake posts and rack and fender braze-ons. I then got it custom coated this blue, only to find out that the 2013 KM color is pretty close to this blue. Kinda funny! Now I can just tell people that I have been riding a prototype 2013 for a couple years! I bought a White Brothers Rock Solid from a customer at work and dropped .60 lbs off of the stock fork weight. Now sitting at 25 lbs complete. Pretty happy!

Sorry for the bad pic, I did what I could!
    Here are a few decent pics of the wheels, these are before I picked up the fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-100_1297.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-100_1298.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-100_1299.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-100_1301.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-100_1303.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm seriously considering getting myself a 2012 black KM and am wondering if anyone knows if there is going to be any major frame changes between the 2012 & 2013 versions?

mtbr member
    Go ahead get one now and enjoy the ride
    2012 or 2013 it doesn't matter,
    Monkey ride never change,
    OK maybe a different color in 2013
    Last edited by Bullit_cn; 10-07-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    2x9, 47mm KH rims. GEAX GATO 29" tyres

Harvest cycle, North Berwick 023 by coastkid71, on Flickr
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Bruce,
    Apart from all those unessasary gears, it's very nice.........

mtbr member
    I thought i would be more niche and go 2x9
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Ordered my KM frame last week, so should be here within a coupe of days or so.

Planned build is (taking the parts off my Scandal):

Thomson seatpost
    Fizik Gobi seat
    Thomson stem
    Ragley Carnegie bars
    ESI grips
    Clarkes brakes 160mm calipers
    Hope Pro2 hubs laced with DT Swiss spokes to Velocity Blunt rims
    Phil Wood sq taper BB
    Middleburn Crank (RS7) 32 tooth (I might try my 34 made by HBC)
    Endless cog - 17 or 18

Will post a photo or two once built.

MTB B'dos
    OK, bit of advice/help needed with my KM. I love it, so versatile, but in all the configurations and re-iterations of it, the one thing I don't seem to have ever managed to do was get the rear shifting setup perfectly. I run Shimano, but have also tried SRAM, done Rapid Rise and normal, but I've never got it setup like it should be, like I've managed with all of m y other bikes - If it shifts up fine, then it's slow going down, if it shifts down fine, then slow going up. I've checked the derailleur hanger when I got the tool earlier this year and it did need straightening, but that only helped a little bit.

Wondering about cable run/setup, how do you guys/gals who run them geared run them? I've tried running the cable guide under the BB both ways, I've even tried running full length housing to no avail Anyone have any ideas I'm listening.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OK, bit of advice/help needed with my KM. I love it, so versatile, but in all the configurations and re-iterations of it, the one thing I don't seem to have ever managed to do was get the rear shifting setup perfectly. I run Shimano, but have also tried SRAM, done Rapid Rise and normal, but I've never got it setup like it should be, like I've managed with all of m y other bikes - If it shifts up fine, then it's slow going down, if it shifts down fine, then slow going up. I've checked the derailleur hanger when I got the tool earlier this year and it did need straightening, but that only helped a little bit.

Wondering about cable run/setup, how do you guys/gals who run them geared run them? I've tried running the cable guide under the BB both ways, I've even tried running full length housing to no avail Anyone have any ideas I'm listening.
    Where do you position your rear wheel? Do you use Monkey Nuts or all the way forward in the dropout?

MTB B'dos
    Tried both, no Monkey Nuts was a bit better (as far as I remember), but I honestly DO NOT like how twitchy it feels like that and normally run it with the 10mm nuts. Actually looking for a way to run it even further back in the dropouts to maybe add a bit more cush to the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Where do you position your rear wheel? Do you use Monkey Nuts or all the way forward in the dropout?
    Last edited by LyNx; 09-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just bought a Vassago Odis fork on a whim from ye olde liste du craig's. Getting it installed this week, photos to follow. I also got a G2 offset Recon for free from a fellow rider. Going to be messing around with different forks during the off season. Also ordered a 36t chainring and 14t cog for the dingle setup. Best bike in existence as far as I am concerned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Have any of you that own a karate monkey used it mostly for road and with longer rides?

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast