Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Let's see your KM builds

631K views 2K replies 430 participants last post by  Dry Pivots 
#1 ·
I'm about ready to order my Dark Black Karate Monkey frame and have been building it up on paper. I couldn't find any one thread with a lot of KM pictures on it, so if you don't mind post up some pics so I can get some ideas. Descriptions too if you want.

Thanks!

#498 · (Edited)
thanks for your replies

i'm 5'5" and currently use a size 16 older version KM (where the top tube is not as sloping as the new version), combined with a 100mm stem and torsion 1x1 bar, fits me perfectly

i was thinking of getting the size 18 new version KM so the top tube will still look the same as my older but smaller size 16 KM, and just compensate with a shorter stem, maybe a 50-70mm stem

care to share your thoughts?

#500 ·
thanks for your replies

i'm 5'5" and currently use a size 16 older version KM (where the top tube is not as sloping as the new version), combined with a 100mm stem and torsion 1x1 bar, fits me perfectly

i was thinking of getting the size 18 new version KM so the top tube will still look the same as my older but smaller size 16 KM, and just compensate with a shorter stem, maybe a 50-70mm stem

care to share your thoughts?
hi bb1mina...

I think your height is matched with the frame size you are now 16 , of course you can use a size 18 in combination with a shorter stem as you say with 1x1 torsion bar but I think you'll feel differently when controlling the bike and feel flexibility of your bicycle front fork, shorter stem will feel more stiff than the longer stem and sensitivity in diverting your KM will also be different.

#504 ·
^Nice. I've got Alfine envy..

Did you just happen upon the 16" or chose it over an 18"? I'm 6'1 as well, and I ride a 20" with flat bars, but I feel like if I was to run drops I'd get the 18.

How do you like the Halo's?
Thanks. I had the old blue Karate Monkey in 18 inches and didn't like how it felt with drop bars. I never had a flat bar on it, but my Kelly 29er is 18 inches with a riser bar, and it fits perfectly. But, I have a longer Thomson stem on it and a Thomson seatpost with some major setback.

I have mixed reviews on the Halos as I have the 700x38's on my Cross Check. They are amazing on pavement and hardpack trails - but so are Schwalbe Big Apples which I highly recommend. However, I had to buy another tire after I had a blow out on the sidewall of the tire when I hit a root. I should of went with a Schwalbe tire, but I bought another Halo Twin Rail instead. Also, I wiped out a couple months ago on a bike path here in Northern Virginia with my Cross Check after I hit a patch of wet leaves. Not really the tires fault, I was flying and should of known right after a good rain to take it easy on the path.

Oh, the Alfine. It's awesome...but really heavy laced to the Velocity Chukkers. I've never had a bike that rides like this Karate Monkey...including my Kelly which has True Temper OX Platinum tubes.

#506 ·
thanks for the reply

after seeing the last 3 builds posted here, including the one with drop bars, all size 16, i think i'm going to stick with the same size when the time comes for me to buy the new version KM frame

(edit: if, i don't get a hold of the new krampus29+ first, haha)

#513 ·
Updated my Monkey the other day. I posted before and this is my hacked up KM. I cut off all of the derailleur bits as well as the v-brake posts and rack and fender braze-ons. I then got it custom coated this blue, only to find out that the 2013 KM color is pretty close to this blue. Kinda funny! Now I can just tell people that I have been riding a prototype 2013 for a couple years! I bought a White Brothers Rock Solid from a customer at work and dropped .60 lbs off of the stock fork weight. Now sitting at 25 lbs complete. Pretty happy!

Build:
KM frame with said adjustments
White Bros Rock Solid fork
Syncros FR headset
3T Pro stem, post and bar
Hope Tech X2 brakes
Charge Spoon seat
Bontrager Race cranks, which will be swapped out next, 32t sprocket
ODI Ruffian grips
Profile Racing hubs, 17t cog
DT Swiss spokes
Velocity P35 rims
Continental Race King tires
Fly Ruben pedals, which will also be swapped soon

Sorry for the bad pic, I did what I could!

Attachments

#514 ·
Updated my Monkey the other day. I posted before and this is my hacked up KM. I cut off all of the derailleur bits as well as the v-brake posts and rack and fender braze-ons. I then got it custom coated this blue, only to find out that the 2013 KM color is pretty close to this blue. Kinda funny! Now I can just tell people that I have been riding a prototype 2013 for a couple years! I bought a White Brothers Rock Solid from a customer at work and dropped .60 lbs off of the stock fork weight. Now sitting at 25 lbs complete. Pretty happy!

Sorry for the bad pic, I did what I could!
Here are a few decent pics of the wheels, these are before I picked up the fork.

Attachments

#520 ·
Ordered my KM frame last week, so should be here within a coupe of days or so.

Planned build is (taking the parts off my Scandal):

Thomson seatpost
Fizik Gobi seat
Thomson stem
Ragley Carnegie bars
ESI grips
Clarkes brakes 160mm calipers
Hope Pro2 hubs laced with DT Swiss spokes to Velocity Blunt rims
Phil Wood sq taper BB
Middleburn Crank (RS7) 32 tooth (I might try my 34 made by HBC)
Endless cog - 17 or 18

Will post a photo or two once built.

#521 ·
OK, bit of advice/help needed with my KM. I love it, so versatile, but in all the configurations and re-iterations of it, the one thing I don't seem to have ever managed to do was get the rear shifting setup perfectly. I run Shimano, but have also tried SRAM, done Rapid Rise and normal, but I've never got it setup like it should be, like I've managed with all of m y other bikes - If it shifts up fine, then it's slow going down, if it shifts down fine, then slow going up. I've checked the derailleur hanger when I got the tool earlier this year and it did need straightening, but that only helped a little bit.

Wondering about cable run/setup, how do you guys/gals who run them geared run them? I've tried running the cable guide under the BB both ways, I've even tried running full length housing to no avail :madman: Anyone have any ideas I'm listening.

#524 ·
Just bought a Vassago Odis fork on a whim from ye olde liste du craig's. Getting it installed this week, photos to follow. I also got a G2 offset Recon for free from a fellow rider. Going to be messing around with different forks during the off season. Also ordered a 36t chainring and 14t cog for the dingle setup. Best bike in existence as far as I am concerned.

#526 ·
Depends on what you call longer :skep: I've regularly done 40, 50, 60 mile rides and a few over 70 on my rigid KM, works fantastic and yes I use it a lot on the road, is my commuter and used to be my "roadie".

#532 ·
Just back from a weeks riding in France, fire roads and farm tracks, fixed, 61" gear perfect. Apart from they're building the new TGV line across my trail to the nearest Patisserie,7 miles from where I stay, it was spot on. I'm 5' 7" 30" inside leg and small is fine. Try one, I'm sure someone can lend you one.....