Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    Its seen many, many builds. Touring, ss, mountain bike, commuter, road bike.
    It is currently in spring snow-slush meltout town mode.
    Nokian studs switched out yesterday for the exi's.
    2 x 8
    Nice bag - would like to know more about it?

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    The KM fork is pretty, well, rigid
    True - but it fits right in with the KM personality and purpose. IMO - it enhances a fat rim/tire setup and I don't experience any brake chatter, I was a bit spooked the first time I saw my taper bladed rigid fork on the Monocog Flight flex back during hard braking .
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I went for another ride last night. The bike rode great. I need a longer stem with a bit of rise to it now though. The steerer tube on the KM for was cut pretty short by the previous owner who used this bike in the regional Root 66 XC race series.

Also some higher volume tires would be a nice add on as well. A fun ride again though - real fun. So nice to have trails so close to home for those "crap I got home later than I expected" post work rides.

mtbr member
    got my 18"chum red monkey finish today,rims and tyres are halo freedom & twinrail,parts are 97 XT/LX and hope from an old school cannondale/new build i had built but hardly used.will be 2x9 and lose the big ring when i get a bashring,semi slicks for 50-60 mile days in summer with some easy trails and knobblys on for winter mudplugging,
    spec
    18"chum red frameset
    hope headset
    hope mono mini 160 brakes,braided hoses
    XT crankset,cassette,XTR chain
    LX mechs,shifters,07 two way
    hope pro2 hubs,halo freedom rims,halo twinrail tyres
    cheap but waggle free suspension post
    sdg seat,to be replaced with a brooks pro ti when i can afford it!
    hope 90mm stem,fsa 50mm bars,ergon grips
    basicly the same build as my pugsley started out though i hope to eventully fit a alfine rear hub and dynamo front hub
    PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
    Last edited by coastkid71; 04-19-2009 at 02:27 AM.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

Mine

Sort of just realized I've owned this bike longer than any (of many) others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I went for another ride last night. The bike rode great. I need a longer stem with a bit of rise to it now though. The steerer tube on the KM for was cut pretty short by the previous owner who used this bike in the regional Root 66 XC race series.

Also some higher volume tires would be a nice add on as well. A fun ride again though - real fun. So nice to have trails so close to home for those "crap I got home later than I expected" post work rides.
    I got some intel that the 2.4 Ardent will be ready by Interbike.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    I picked up some Weirwolf 2.55s from CB2 and installed them.

I was a little bit dissapointed in their size once mounted up to my Syncros rims. I thought they'd be wider. They are however pretty "tall" and should be nice. I haven't found out yet because we've been besieged by rain here in CT all week.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I picked up some Weirwolf 2.55s from CB2 and installed them.

I was a little bit dissapointed in their size once mounted up to my Syncros rims. I thought they'd be wider. They are however pretty "tall" and should be nice. I haven't found out yet because we've been besieged by rain here in CT all week.
    I get 60mm casing width on my Gordos, my bet is your around 57-58. FWIW, Nano is a hair over 55, close enough to call it 56 on the Gordo in the rear. WW front and Nano rear is a classic combo - wish I would have picked up a Nano much sooner in my 29er riding. I managed to score a new pair (still on the cards) for $15.50 on Ebay (yes, including shipping). More than enough tire front and rear for South Florida.

mtbr member
    We need Coastkid to edit his post so this thread isn't streched out a mile wide any longer.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...are all his pics showing up next to each other or what?... my screen has no problems with it...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    yeah on my screen they stretch across rather than down.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    IE or firefox?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The latest incarnation of my singlespeed commuter..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Got me to 7th place in the race today Always fun to see everyone out there on their mega-$$$ rigs with their bright day-glo jerseys.

Only changes right now from the picture are M540 pedals and a geax suargo front tire. The close-ratio ultegra cassette is fun. My thinking is, if SSers can push 32-20 combos, then surely I can push a 27t.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

80% FLOW

Love the bike top tube a little shore so I will be changing to a thomson setback post

80% FLOW

mtbr member
    Here is mine. I just picked it up from a fellow forumite.

For some reason I like this one

Last edited by ianick; 05-21-2009 at 07:39 PM.

MTB B'dos
    All right, here's a silly question, but I have to ask and see what everyone's doing..............How do you run the derailleur cables along the DT - do you run them around the opposite side to the shifter and cross them or Do you run them on the same side as shifters and run them straight?? What position do you have the plastic cable guide under the BB in - close to the center or off to the drive side??

I have to ask, 'cause no matter what I do I cannot get my KM to shift cleanly through the cassette Doesn't matter what cassette - 25-12/105, 34-11XT, 34-11 PG990 or when I changed shifters out to new LX shifters or new XT RD. It drives me bonkers that no matter what I do I either get some delay around middle of the cassette either shifting up or down depending on if I add or release cable tension

FYI I run my cables on the same side as the shifters and straight along the DT, no crossing.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Slightly askew
    Just finished my Monkey Build. Replacing my GT Peace 9r.
    Med Black Karate Monkey
    Gold King HS
    I9 classic rear hub on Bonty Duster rim
    32t Hone cranks and BB
    Avid bb7 185 ft, 160 r.
    Weirwolf lt front tire, nano rear.
    My fav- my hand polished Endless 20t cog

Zero charisma

80% FLOW
    Nice looks similar to mine

vik
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Some great builds here - thanks for sharing...

---
    Jan 2007
    return of the fixed monkey

current fixed incarnation. getting hit by a car has sidelined my dirt miles lately but i'm slowly coming around.
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

29er zealot
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerthanmilhouse
    Just finished my Monkey Build. Replacing my GT Peace 9r.
    Med Black Karate Monkey
    Gold King HS
    I9 classic rear hub on Bonty Duster rim
    32t Hone cranks and BB
    Avid bb7 185 ft, 160 r.
    Weirwolf lt front tire, nano rear.
    My fav- my hand polished Endless 20t cog

Nice bike, now we've got to go get it dirty on Heartbreak!!!!!

Apr 2007
    Love this thread and gives me inspiration for my build. I was contemplating between the KM and Jabberwocky, but this has convinced me to go KM. Chum Bucket Red, please! I'm going to transfer all the parts from the Monocog and sell that frame.

fxdwhl - I always admire people that go fixed off-road. I have a fixed road bike, but I don't think I'll ever brave going fixed in the woods. Nice bike, BTW.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I got my Monkey to build into a snow bike:

That's the original build -- fixed gear with Surly hubs, and Kris Holm rims. I ran it SS for a while as well.

Then late last year I built a new wheelset with Gordo Rims, Hope hubs, and Racing Ralph 2.4s. I used the nearly-dishless SS version of the rear hub, and stuck the carrier portion of an XT cassette on there, along with one more cog to make a 1x6 drivetrain. I could easily go back to fixed-gear with a drilled cog, or SS with a splined one.

Something about this bike just invites me to play with its configuration. I think it might get turned into a monstercrosser/drop bar MTB soon. I've got most of the required parts sitting around already...

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast