Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Results 1,401 to 1,489 of 1489
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    that is a sweet monkey!

yup,a pair of those et's are on the list for next weeks order i think...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Let's see your KM builds-surly1.jpgLet's see your KM builds-surly2.jpg

Finally got the touring/gravel grinder/ kid puller/ commuter together and put a couple of rides on it. Complete with labradoodle. Loving the new microshift thumbies. Definitely need to make some changes to the cockpit, current set up makes my elbows hurt and palms go numb. The Soma Odin bar has a great feel, I think I'll try a shorter stem and hamsterspam's inner bar end idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

2017 km ss

Just picked it up last Tuesday. Excited for the trails to get less sloppy so I can shake her down a bit. Swapped out the following from stock:

ENVE XC bars
    Fizik Gobi saddle
    Wolftooth 20t cog and purple anodized bits
    Ergon grips

Let's see your KM builds-image2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-image1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Let's see your KM builds-0218171238-00.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Let's see your KM builds-0218171238-01.jpg
    Most of the trails too muddy/gumboey to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi, I see quite a few KMs here running 27.5+ wheels/ tyres.

Can owners possibly advise of any bb height or tyre clearance issues or any other negatives with a B+ setup? Any help appreciated.

(talking about the 'old' monkey not the 2017 model).

mtbr member
    I've been playing with B+ tires on my '12 Monkey. With the 2.8" TB on a Blunt 35 rim (on the rear) and a 3.5" FBN (actually, more like 2.6") on the front, my bottom bracket sits at just 290mm (11.4"). That's too low for my tastes. I'm going to transfer this B+ wheelset to my SIR9, where I can raise the bottom bracket up via the EBB to around 305mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kirkwood View Post
    Hi, I see quite a few KMs here running 27.5+ wheels/ tyres.

Can owners possibly advise of any bb height or tyre clearance issues or any other negatives with a B+ setup? Any help appreciated.

(talking about the 'old' monkey not the 2017 model).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for your reply seat_boy, I thought that may be the case. I wonder if a 120mm sagged fork might help raise the BB, or if you can fit in larger diameter tyres?

mtbr member
    I measured my bike with a stock length rigid fork (467mm), so a 120mm fork would definitely lift up the bottom bracket some (though at the expense of losing the sharp handling by slacking out the front end). I don't think you could fit a significantly taller tire in the rear.

Thanks for your reply seat_boy, I thought that may be the case. I wonder if a 120mm sagged fork might help raise the BB, or if you can fit in larger diameter tyres?

mtbr member
    You're going to need a boost fork to accommodate a b+ or bigger tire. Or something modern.
    I put a rigid soma fork on my b+ monkey, which is 100mm suspension corrected, vs the stock 80. It helped a smidge.
    You still have to be conscious of where your pedals are at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Km

Let's see your KM builds-dsc03915.jpg

His and Hers

A God Without A Name
    Let's see your KM builds-20170308_173107.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I took and b9+'d my monkey today for shits and giggles. The ranger on a blunt is 72mm, exactly the same as the ikon on a xm551.
    I tried it on my rear 29" hoop first, it does fit, but I know it'll rub, with only about 3-4mm clearance.
    I may grab another one and dremel the side knobs, depending how I like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the wtb trail boss makes a good rear tire with the ranger up front on a blunt 35,theres not a huge size difference height wise and no rubbing issues with a 2.4...

i should note,a good tire combo here in the desert where its mainly loose over hardpack...in the nice parts...

mtbr member
    I took some tb's off these 29" wheels to mess around with this. I may take them out for a scoot to see, just the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i should be more specific and say i ride in desert conditions so a smaller,more closely set knob seems to work best for me...a lot of folks like the ardents too...

mtbr member
    I am looking to add suspension to my mint (color) Karate Monkey (2016 model, not Ops).

Surly's site says the frame is 1-1/8 straight steerer, suspension-corrected (80mm), tapered and butted straight blade. While the Ops version is 1.5" tapered steerer, 32mm 100mm travel.

They are two different frames, correct?

I'd be good with a 100mm straight steerer fork?

And I know nothing about forks, only experience is with a crappy Suntour on an entry level mountain bike. It appears nice Fox (and RockShox) forks go for $7-900. I don't think I need that much fork, do I? Not in my budget anyway.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

aka: Bucky Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    I am looking to add suspension to my mint (color) Karate Monkey (2016 model, not Ops).

Surly's site says the frame is 1-1/8 straight steerer, suspension-corrected (80mm), tapered and butted straight blade. While the Ops version is 1.5" tapered steerer, 32mm 100mm travel.

They are two different frames, correct?

I'd be good with a 100mm straight steerer fork?

And I know nothing about forks, only experience is with a crappy Suntour on an entry level mountain bike. It appears nice Fox (and RockShox) forks go for $7-900. I don't think I need that much fork, do I? Not in my budget anyway.
    Your frame will handle both a straight or tapered steerer fork. If you run a Cane Creek EC44 bottom headset, it will accommodate either just by selecting the appropriate crown race that fits on the fork. It's not 2 different frames, it's that the headtube is a 44mm inside diameter which allows use of either steerer based upon the headset used.

Yes, a 100mm straight steerer fork would work fine. Based on the above, so would a 100mm tapered steerer fork with the correct headset/crownrace.

Suntour has some issues as being substandard with their cheaper line. Yes, there's better. It just depends on what YOU really want/need for your riding conditions. I see recently that Suntour is out to gain some notoriety in the market by upping their game. Thier new stuff just might be worthy. I haven't delved into it to look yet but probably will take a closer look at Sea Otter Classic next month. Keep an eye on Pinkbike. There are several decent used forks there right now that would be suitable. I'm getting ready to buy one for my Mint Green '15 I just built. I'm rolling with either the 100mm RS SID or a Reba but will likely buy new from my RS connection. I prefer to go a bit overboard with major components. I'm considering resale if/when I decide to move on.
    Always ride with a purpose.

mtbr member
    Great, thanks Oh My Sack!(!)

I checked out PB and it appears there are indeed a couple that would work great.

Sounds like we are adding suspension to the same Mint Karate Monkey. Are you going straight or tapered steerer fork - and why?

I'd be interested in hearing specific fork suggestions too. I am looking to tame bumpy/rooty sections and not have my front wheel bounce furiously off rocks/roots/bumps.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Great, thanks Oh My Sack!(!)

I checked out PB and it appears there are indeed a couple that would work great.

Sounds like we are adding suspension to the same Mint Karate Monkey. Are you going straight or tapered steerer fork - and why?

I'd be interested in hearing specific fork suggestions too. I am looking to tame bumpy/rooty sections and not have my front wheel bounce furiously off rocks/roots/bumps.
    Straight steerer forks are almost disappearing from the market. If you shop around online you can get a brand new high end fork for $400 or less, and you'll find a lot more options with tapered steerer. Fox had a bad run for awhile so be careful of older models there (2012-2014ish). Throw a pic up, what headset is already on your bike?

mtbr member
    I have a straight steerer recon with exactly 1 ride if anybody wants to make an offer. It doesn't exactly clear my b+ sneaks, so I only used it once for fooling around with my 29" "race" wheels that I roached from my f/s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane5001 View Post
    Straight steerer forks are almost disappearing from the market. If you shop around online you can get a brand new high end fork for $400 or less, and you'll find a lot more options with tapered steerer. Fox had a bad run for awhile so be careful of older models there (2012-2014ish). Throw a pic up, what headset is already on your bike?
    Thanks for the reply! This is the headset: Cane Creek 40, 1-1/8˝ threadless. Black
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the reply! This is the headset: Cane Creek 40, 1-1/8˝ threadless. Black
    Throw a pic up that highlights the headtube/headset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If the lower headset cup is almost completely concealed by the mint green head tube then it's 1 1/8," if there's an external black cane creek cup with little lizards on it sticking out of the bottom of the mint green head tube, it'll work with both steerer's given the right crown race.

mtbr member
    Here are some forks I am considering:

RockShox SID - kinda pricey. Might take a pinkbike superdeal.
    RockShox Reba - not sure if the Recon is too entry level.
    Manitou Marvel - seems to be a great value.
    Marzocchi 320 LCR - also seems to be a solid value.
    Fox something - not too familiar yet with the different levels.
    And the new RockShox Judy Gold is interesting.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Follow up question: would a 120mm fork be too much travel? I am not entirely sure I would notice. Looking at a nice deal on a 120mm Fox.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Follow up question: would a 120mm fork be too much travel? I am not entirely sure I would notice. Looking at a nice deal on a 120mm Fox.
    Y'up. Too much, IMO. The frame is designed for up to 100mm travel. I had a Fox 34 140 sitting here for that purpose but could only reduce it to a 120 so I shipped it down the road. I think I'm going for a new '17 Reba RCT3 100mm.

mtbr member
    Thanks Oh My Sack - that seems to be the consensus.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Thanks Oh My Sack - that seems to be the consensus.
    with which gen frame? surly's site lists the frame as 140mm fork compatible. now we all now that doesn't mean it's ideal, but I think 120mm is certainly within the realm of "normal",

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    with which gen frame? surly's site lists the frame as 140mm fork compatible. now we all now that doesn't mean it's ideal, but I think 120mm is certainly within the realm of "normal",
    I have a newer old model - a mint 2016 (I think).
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Alright so I just placed an order for my 2017 KM Frame. I have a question on what crankset I need (or rather what would fit with whatever wheels I get). I plan on having two wheelsets - a 29er set (already have the 29er wheels from other bike) and a 27.5+ set.

My 29er set has a 12x142 hub rear wheel. The 27.5+ set has boost (12x148) hub rear wheel. Running both of these wheels is possible with the gnot boost rear dropouts. I'd like to run a 32T up front which means I'll need a 1x boost crankset according to the surly frame specs page.

Will this affect things with my 29er non-boost spaced rear wheel? Has anyone tried putting a non-boost crankset on and seeing how big of a chainring they can run (Surly says 28T)? How much am I over thinking this?
    "Without struggle there is no progress." - Frederick Douglas

mtbr member

Let's see your KM builds

OGKM in mini kramp state:

Rangers on blunts, side knobs removed on rear.
    The rear is obviously new, but it sat at 25psi for a few days before I could get to trimming. It's at 15 right now, I think I'll be riding it at 14, based upon my driveway/neighborhood experiment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone tried 29x2.6 Nobby Nics on the 'old' KM frame? I hear very good things about these tyres.

Anyone tried 29x2.6 Nobby Nics on the 'old' KM frame? I hear very good things about these tyres.
    Won't fit. I haven't tried but I'm running 2.35 NN's or Rock Razr on an i35 and it barely fits. There's no extra space.

Let's see your KM builds-20170119_204934.jpg

Jammin' Econo
    derp.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lips3341 View Post
    Alright so I just placed an order for my 2017 KM Frame. I have a question on what crankset I need (or rather what would fit with whatever wheels I get). I plan on having two wheelsets - a 29er set (already have the 29er wheels from other bike) and a 27.5+ set.

My 29er set has a 12x142 hub rear wheel. The 27.5+ set has boost (12x148) hub rear wheel. Running both of these wheels is possible with the gnot boost rear dropouts. I'd like to run a 32T up front which means I'll need a 1x boost crankset according to the surly frame specs page.

Will this affect things with my 29er non-boost spaced rear wheel? Has anyone tried putting a non-boost crankset on and seeing how big of a chainring they can run (Surly says 28T)? How much am I over thinking this?
    I'm running mine (XT non-boost, 32T) on my 2017 KM without any problems, and there is still a ton of clearance between the ring and chainstay yoke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by aybee; 04-02-2017 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aybee View Post
    I'm running mine (XT non-boost, 32T) on my 2017 KM without any problems, and there is still a ton of clearance between the ring and chainstay yoke.

Care to upload a picture?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiely View Post
    Care to upload a picture?
    Here ya go:

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aybee View Post
    Here ya go:

Looks awesome. What's your rear hub spacing then?
    "Without struggle there is no progress." - Frederick Douglas

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I finally figured out what style of tires I prefer on my KM, which is the typical, squarish-profile MTB tire. I've run 700x50 Marathon Supremes, 700x60 Big Apples, 700x40 Duremes, 700x32 Vittoria Hypers and finally, Maxxis Torch 29's. These are the first tires that make my Karate Monkey ride like a Karate Monkey. I think it's the square profile, rather than the width. The Big Apples were bigger but very round and the bike did not ride like a stock KM with them installed. Plus, the Torches just make the Karate Monkey look right.

Let's see your KM builds-resized.jpg

For some reason, I love POV/over-the-handlebars photos:

Let's see your KM builds-dscn2100.jpg

mtbr member
    That looks like a pretty round profile to me. I don't know how a km is supposed to feel more like a km should, but if you're happy, then pin it to win it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    2012 setup SS for commuting and a 2017 on 29+
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-img_2811-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Just fine tuning this build. Holy heck this monkey is fun!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-57e16ff89c564493965cc624780ec873.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-img_1705.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bhorocks View Post
    2012 setup SS for commuting and a 2017 on 29+
    Give us some details on the 29+ setup.

Where is your axle in the dropouts?

How far forward can it do?

Any toe interference with front wheel?

Looks like you're running Arc 45's with 3.0 Chupa's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Give us some details on the 29+ setup.

Where is your axle in the dropouts?

How far forward can it do?

Any toe interference with front wheel?

Looks like you're running Arc 45's with 3.0 Chupa's?

Toe interference: NONE. I have 4-5 inches to the front tire and I wear a 15.

ARC45 with 3.0 Chupa's YUP!

5-7mm on drive side clearance where I located the tire.

Honestly, if I didn't already have the ARC45s I would probably be running a 2.8.
    I built the wheelset for my Salsa Timberjack which now needs to go away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-img_2812.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-img_2813.jpg  

Let's see your KM builds-img_2814.jpg  

My monkey moves into another version of itself. Received an RS Reba RL 100mm with PopLoc, today. Got it mounted and it's sweeet!

Let's see your KM builds-20170417_182049.jpg
    Let's see your KM builds-20170417_182457.jpg

mtbr member
    What's the reason for the tensioner?

Quote Originally Posted by ATB1991 View Post
    Just fine tuning this build. Holy heck this monkey is fun!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I couldn't get my chain length perfect and I've been swapping between rear cogs, but my LBS only had the singleator in stock and I wanted to ride since we had some sunshine over the weekend. I have a tuggnut in the mail and will repurpose the singleator to an upcoming vertical dropout SS build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    My monkey moves into another version of itself. Received an RS Reba RL 100mm with PopLoc, today. Got it mounted and it's sweeet!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170417_182049.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	1132362
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170417_182457.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	1132363
    Bike looks awesome!

Tell me more about those rims - Raceface Arc? 29er right?

And going back to adding suspension (or pricier parts in general - question for anybody: I think I can get a fork for a reasonable price online vs the bike shop, like I don't think he'll be able to match, but I will need a shop to install it. That's not a total dick move, is it?

Dude in CA is selling a new Marvel Manitou Pro for $285 on Pinkbike. Seems to be a great fork, with almost universally favorable reviews.

And because it will take both straight and tapered steer tubes, does it matter - any benefit or ride differences between the two?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Bike looks awesome!

And going back to adding suspension (or pricier parts in general - question for anybody: I think I can get a fork for a reasonable price online vs the bike shop, like I don't think he'll be able to match, but I will need a shop to install it. That's not a total dick move, is it?

Dude in CA is selling a new Marvel Manitou Pro for $285 on Pinkbike. Seems to be a great fork, with almost universally favorable reviews.

And because it will take both straight and tapered steer tubes, does it matter - any benefit or ride differences between the two?
    I will say this, installing the fork is really simple. Go youtube it. You will want to see how much steerer tube you will want before cutting but you can use a hacksaw to cut it.

Keep the steerer tube length in mind if you are buying used. I like a longer tube because I am really tall and need a few stem spacers under my stem to be comfortable.

The wheels are raceface arc35 but are also branded as Easton arc as well. they come in multiple widths so do your research. Popular now are the 30,35,40. I have a set of 45s and wish I had gone narrower.

Bike looks awesome!

My 2nd custom build on the ARC35. I'm also running them on a 650 Plus Boost platform on my new Expert 29/6Fattie. As soon as my hubs arrive, I'll be having a 3rd set done in 29 Boost for a second set on the Expert. On the K-Monkey, I'm running both F/R 2.35's that profile out to 2.5. Running 18 psi cold in the rear, 14 psi cold in the front. They are great hoops. Reasonably light, strong, and my builder has come to really like them. I'm running Hope Pro4's w/DTSwiss Comp double-butted spokes on all of them.

As for the fork, I shopped it for a long time and just caught this on on Pinkbike in pretty much brand new condition. I might know of the Manitou's you speak of...out of San Francisco, maybe? They seemed a bit sketchy if that's the one. Lots of older Manitous but brand new? No pics, etc. I decided to stick with RS or Fox since I do all my own rebuilds. Parts availability as well as just identifying some of the Manitous to get parts was sketchy when I investigated. This Reba has a straight steerer but has a cool 1.5 adapter slipped on which I had not seen before. With the Cane Creek 40, it's just a matterof which Crown Race you run to make either work. Pay attention to steerer length. I wouldn't touch anything less than about 165-170 for my medium frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback!

The dude's username comenwin or comenwin0903 and is in Fremont. I'd feel ok buying on ebay as it is a pretty sweet deal. What do you think was sketchy? All brand new and 2017 model years
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Thanks for the feedback!

The dude's username comenwin or comenwin0903 and is in Fremont. I'd feel ok buying on ebay as it is a pretty sweet deal. What do you think was sketchy? All brand new and 2017 model years
    That one looks legit. Hadn't seen that one. There are a few on there from what appears to be an offshore seller or China. They appeared sketchy and have been up for a long time. Definitely not the same as the one you refer.

mtbr member
    Moved bits from vintage L frame to vintage XL frame, and made a few updates.

Let's see your KM builds-img_20170423_163304.jpg
    Out to ride

Just gotta love the Monkey. It can be dressed in so many different clothes!

mtbr member
    That one looks legit. Hadn't seen that one. There are a few on there from what appears to be an offshore seller or China. They appeared sketchy and have been up for a long time. Definitely not the same as the one you refer.

Thanks again for your feedback. I stopped in to the bike shop and went with a Rock Shox Recon Gold. Seems like a solid value and a good starting point for trying suspension. Tough to pass up that Marvel Pro, but I felt better about buying it from the shop.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Thanks again for your feedback. I stopped in to the bike shop and went with a Rock Shox Recon Gold. Seems like a solid value and a good starting point for trying suspension. Tough to pass up that Marvel Pro, but I felt better about buying it from the shop.
    I bet you'll love the result. I've got 3 great rides in on my new Reba and this bike just continues to make me giggle every time I ride it. PR'd a couple tough uphill efforts as well as a few downs on the last couple jaunts. A fork makes it a bigger hoot than ever!

mtbr member
    A new wrinkle. The owner of the LBS just left me a voicemail. Said he just got off the phone with QBP and said they could not sell him a fork to put on the Karate Monkey as it would likely hit the downtube (while turning furiously) and then would void warranty.

It's the mint Karate Monkey, bought new in September 2015, same as Oh My Sack!'s. Unless there were two different mint frames, highly doubtful though.

WTF.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

A new wrinkle. The owner of the LBS just left me a voicemail. Said he just got off the phone with QBP and said they could not sell him a fork to put on the Karate Monkey as it would likely hit the downtube (while turning furiously) and then would void warranty.

It's the mint Karate Monkey, bought new in September 2015, same as Oh My Sack!'s. Unless there were two different mint frames, highly doubtful though.

WTF.
    I'm confused. What's going to hit the downtube? The KM is good for a suspension fork up to and including 100mm travel.

mtbr member
    I'm confused. What's going to hit the downtube? The KM is good for a suspension fork up to and including 100mm travel.
    I'm confused too, that's apparently what QBP told him.

He (or QBP) suggested a gravel grinding fork lol.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Which fork? I may be possible that some of the newer boost forks are wide enough to cause this issue, and I know something like a Bluto would.

mtbr member
    It's a 100mm Rockshox Recon. Should be OK. Surly's site does say 80mm. So that might be it.

And if that is the case - would I want to even bother with an 80mm fork?
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thought I heard up to 120?

mtbr member
    I emailed Surly and received this relatively prompt reply:

"The dealer may have been misinformed from the fine folks at QBP. The 2015 Mint KM SS was originally okey’d to run an 80mm suspension fork. We did some updated testing on the 2015 KM ops and that bike was okay’d for 100mm suspension."

He is going to check with his engineers on my medium frame for a 100mm fork.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

I emailed Surly and received this relatively prompt reply:

"The dealer may have been misinformed from the fine folks at QBP. The 2015 Mint KM SS was originally okey’d to run an 80mm suspension fork. We did some updated testing on the 2015 KM ops and that bike was okay’d for 100mm suspension."

He is going to check with his engineers on my medium frame for a 100mm fork.
    I'm trying to dig up the info on OPS. As far as I can tell, my Minty Fresh '15 fits the same criteria as their OPS build. 44mm headtube and MDS chipset to allow for 135 QR, Bolt-on, or 12x142 Thru-axle. The frame geometry is the same. ???

And having 100mm Reba RL is absolutely kick-ass on this bike!

mtbr member
    Heard back from Surly again:

"I checked with the engineer and he said the 100mm fork will be on the medium 2015 KM SS. Once again sorry, about the initial misinformation. The QBP CS agents are some of the best in the biz for tech questions, but they are human and makes errors every once in a while"

Might try a different LBS.

Probably just a QBP noob or something. Quick question: is the stock hub convertible to thru-axle? The link says: "Standard axle threading also allows conversion to bolt-on solid axles"
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Heard back from Surly again:

"I checked with the engineer and he said the 100mm fork will be on the medium 2015 KM SS......"

Might try a different LBS.
    Did you mean to say something like "okay", "good", "bad"?

I don't believe the Shimano hub you referenced can be set up "thru-axle" since it a cup & cone bearing set up. Many hubs are quite easy to do the conversion by simply changing end caps but those are typically cartridge bearing equipped hubs.

mtbr member
    Did you mean to say something like "okay", "good", "bad"?

I don't believe the Shimano hub you referenced can be set up "thru-axle" since it a cup & cone bearing set up. Many hubs are quite easy to do the conversion by simply changing end caps but those are typically cartridge bearing equipped hubs.
    Saw that too, assuming he meant something like "ok". Thanks for your help!
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I was running a 100mm Reba on my MDS frame and it was pretty rad. Definitely no issues with down tube clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I can't imagine what the travel of the fork has to do with any upper part of the fork hitting the downtube. I ran a Rockshox Recon Gold 100mm on my KM with no problems. On another note, I was cleaning up my old Trek 930 to take to a swap meet, and noticed that the knobs on the Manitou Six I put on it about 15 years ago would contact the downtube. Never noticed that in many, many miles I put on that bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    I can't imagine what the travel of the fork has to do with any upper part of the fork hitting the downtube. I ran a Rockshox Recon Gold 100mm on my KM with no problems. On another note, I was cleaning up my old Trek 930 to take to a swap meet, and noticed that the knobs on the Manitou Six I put on it about 15 years ago would contact the downtube. Never noticed that in many, many miles I put on that bike.

I would love your opinion on the Recon Gold. The Rockshox website doesn't seem to differentiate the colors - gold vs silver, just RL vs TK.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I would love your opinion on the Recon Gold. The Rockshox website doesn't seem to differentiate the colors - gold vs silver, just RL vs TK.
    Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough with suspension to give good feedback. It seems to work fine. It's better than a 15 year old Manitou Six, I can tell that much. Mine is a leftover 2011 that I bought cheap off ebay. I don't think it was a very high end fork, but it gets the job done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    If anyone feels inclined to save me the digging through this thread...

I have a set of Velocity Blunt 35 27.5 wheels I want to use for a plus size conversion on an older model KM. I don't foresee any issues running a fat 3" tire up front, but I'm guessing the 3" won't clear in the back. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2.8 (when mounted on 35mm rim) that will run well on the rear wheel. Anyone have experience with this set up? Any recommended tire combos? Thanks much.

mtbr member
    I believe if you search this thread (lol sorry), or google it, you'll find instances of folks fitting 27.5+ wheels/tires.
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2009 Fuji Cross Comp
    2001 Schwinn Frontier SS

Quote Originally Posted by BigLucille View Post

I have a set of Velocity Blunt 35 27.5 wheels I want to use for a plus size conversion on an older model KM. I don't foresee any issues running a fat 3" tire up front, but I'm guessing the 3" won't clear in the back. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2.8 (when mounted on 35mm rim) that will run well on the rear wheel. Anyone have experience with this set up? Any recommended tire combos? Thanks much.
    First post and already skimming!

The front might accommodate a 3", the rear will not. I'm running i35 Race Face Arc hoop as a 29 and my Schwalbe 2.35's profile out to 2.5" and there is no extra room. This is on a 2015 KM frame. Scroll back a couple pages and you'll see some photos. Lots of K-Monkey posts covering the topic.

mtbr member

I have an old canti era km frame with a maxxis ikon 2.8 on a dtswiss xm551 (40 internal). it fits. it does rub in the very rare instance, but thats with the wheel slammed. a set of the 6mm monkey nuts would cure that, but I don't have enough ****s to give.
    I've had some other wtb 2.8 out back and that worked fine too, but the sidewall sacrificed itself pretty easily.
    3.0 is fine up front, zero stress there.
    I have a set of blunt 29's too that have wtb ranger 3.0's. those also fit, once I trimmed the side knobs on the rear. I'm not wild about big rubber on those blunts, but a 2.8 should be fine.
    before you ask, I run 15 or 16 rear, and 12 or 13 up front depending on whether I'm going where theres lots of rocks or not (at 185lbs of human). enjoy.

mtbr member
    I can easily fit a WTB Traiblazer (2.8 claimed) on a Blunt 35 rim on the back of my '12 KM. But, this setup lowered the bottom bracket to only 11.4". Too low for me. Otherwise, I liked the B+ wheels quite a bit. They're currently on a Niner SIR9 frame, where I used the EBB to adjust for the smaller wheels.

Pics and stuff:

https://bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/20...d-minuses.html

It's interesting to me to see all the discrepancies between nominal and actual tire sizes. It's all over the place!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I can easily fit a WTB Traiblazer (2.8 claimed) on a Blunt 35 rim on the back of my '12 KM. But, this setup lowered the bottom bracket to only 11.4". Too low for me. Otherwise, I liked the B+ wheels quite a bit. They're currently on a Niner SIR9 frame, where I used the EBB to adjust for the smaller wheels.

Pics and stuff:

https://bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/20...d-minuses.html
    good point. I'll get a measurement on my bb height tomorrow, just for s's and g's,
    I also run a 100mm corrected fork, vs the stock 80.

mtbr member

Let's see your KM builds

As promised, 11.75" to the center.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Perfect, thanks so much for the info all. That's just what I was looking to find out. Specifically want to run the Ikon in the back, so glad to hear you've had success with that. Bike will be put to use as more of a bikepacking and distance rig than gnarly trail bike, so the lowered BB may even be a bit of a boon of the conversion.

Salud!

mtbr member
    a 29+/B+ setup yields a 12" bb height, fyi. I think this might be the sweet spot for my monkey, providing I build some sexy new wheels. time to get lost in counting grams.

What is the nominal as well actual tread/sidewall diameter of that Ikon?

mtbr member
    Funny, I was thinking of doing the same thing! Maybe I'm getting drug, kicking and screaming, into the slack camp.

a 29+/B+ setup yields a 12" bb height, fyi. I think this might be the sweet spot for my monkey, providing I build some sexy new wheels. time to get lost in counting grams.

mtbr member
    What is the nominal as well actual tread/sidewall diameter of that Ikon?

say what? I just am now seeing this, sorry. width? its a 2.8. I forget what the actual measurements are.

say what? I just am now seeing this, sorry. width? its a 2.8. I forget what the actual measurements are.
    Nominal, meaning what the advertised width is versus what the actual width is. Maxxis is always way overstated in their sizing, that's why I'm curious. I run Schwalbes which are always the other way around where my 2.35's profile out to 2.5 on my Arc35's. Ikon looks like a great option if it fits. I just skimmed, are you running a Gnot-Boost frame or is that the MDS/OPS frame?

mtbr member
    Nominal, meaning what the advertised width is versus what the actual width is. Maxxis is always way overstated in their sizing, that's why I'm curious. I run Schwalbes which are always the other way around where my 2.35's profile out to 2.5 on my Arc35's. Ikon looks like a great option if it fits. I just skimmed, are you running a Gnot-Boost frame or is that the MDS/OPS frame?
    even older, its a canti era frame.

I'll post up some measurements again later.

mtbr member
    @oh my sack 69.5mm at the knobs, cases a ch narrower on i40 xm551's.
    Tire is well stretched and ridden.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Members who have read this thread: 309