Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 931
  1. #251
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    125
    Just finished this week. Shake down ride was fun. Nice having gears again. About to head out for a longer, tougher ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-100_7063a.jpg  


  2. #252
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    125
    One more. Didn't like these bars on my MonoCog, still don't like them. Gotta get ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-100_7060a.jpg  


  3. #253
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    31

    My Kommuter Monkey

    Just built this beauty up last night...





  4. #254
    is turning a big gear
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by messofzero View Post


    18" km frame
    waltworks fork
    bb7 + cheapo v-brake
    deore hubs laced to delgados
    brooks pro
    titec j-bars w/ esi chunkies
    truvativ firex cranks
    time pedals
    gearing is 33x19 free or 17 tomicog fixed
    nevegals

    my favorite mtb ive owned, and currently the only one i own.
    Yay, wakefield.
    Get it unlocked.

  5. #255
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1
    Nice commuter. Commuting on my xl misfit right now and looking for a lg Km to swap parts over.
    Lg misfit for single track, xl a little to stretched. Long legs, short torso. I was wondering what size
    is your KM

  6. #256
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3
    Let's see your KM builds-karate-monkey-001.jpg







    simple but functional!

  7. #257
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coastkid71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,810
    Now rolling with Kris Holm 47mm rims on Hope Pro 2 evo hubs,
    pressures down to 25 psi today and could go even lower without much worry of a pinch flat, soon be time to refit the rigid fork for winter


    Berwickshire clay by coastkid71, on Flickr
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

  8. #258
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    125

    One from the trail

    Green Gulch from the Eastern side of the Rocky Mtn front west of Choteau Mt. Getting close to the summit. These are my bear detectors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-100_7123a.jpg  


  9. #259
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimhazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Now rolling with Kris Holm 47mm rims on Hope Pro 2 evo hubs,
    pressures down to 25 psi today and could go even lower without much worry of a pinch flat, soon be time to refit the rigid fork for winter
    That looks about as fat as you can get on a 29er!

    Tell us about that rear fender, is it mounted to the brake bosses? Custom?

  10. #260
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coastkid71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,810
    There is room for 2.55 WTB weirwolfs with these rims,
    the rear fender is made by Decathlon, and it does mount on the canti mounts and is quick release, you can find it here, Rs499:
    The best multi-brand bicycle store in Bangalore
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

  11. #261
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimhazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    There is room for 2.55 WTB weirwolfs with these rims,
    the rear fender is made by Decathlon, and it does mount on the canti mounts and is quick release, you can find it here, Rs499:
    The best multi-brand bicycle store in Bangalore
    Well, if I ever get to Bangalore, I'll be be sure to pick one up!

  12. #262
    Monkey Junkie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    593
    Got my KM back in July. Initially built it up as a SS, then fixed, then SS and now geared. Really love the bike, just needs fatter tires. It's seen trails on the West Coast, Mid West and now the East Coast. Been changing out handlebars left and right to find the best match for this rig, and currently trying platorm pedals on it for fun and to possibly help with a foot problem I've been having. Love the fact that no matter what I do to the bike, it always seems to ride well. Just getting it dialed in for my riding style.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-p1030166.jpg  


  13. #263
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    131

    Sweet!

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    Got my KM back in July. Initially built it up as a SS, then fixed, then SS and now geared. Really love the bike, just needs fatter tires. It's seen trails on the West Coast, Mid West and now the East Coast. Been changing out handlebars left and right to find the best match for this rig, and currently trying platorm pedals on it for fun and to possibly help with a foot problem I've been having. Love the fact that no matter what I do to the bike, it always seems to ride well. Just getting it dialed in for my riding style.
    I hope to have a similar bike built up within a year. I just sold my mountain bike to build up my ideal road bike since I have no time to ride trails right now. My Surly Pacer has me falling for the Karate Monkey. This is exactly how I'd do it. Well Done!

  14. #264
    mtbr member
    Reputation: esundell90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    768
    mokey's are dope. I think it's the most fun bike they make. Pug's are fun, but only for winter/mud season imo. Mokneys are fun year round!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

  15. #265
    mtbr member
    Reputation: islander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    729
    Have a Grey KM (18") on the way as well. The blacks were sold out at the distributor, but the grey is so lively. Looking to run this bike primarily as a commuter (gears/discs), but wanted the added versatility. Will be trying to fit some fenders and hydro brake lines, so really like the 2011 changes (trip guides, new seat stay eyelets).
    NSMBA Member

  16. #266
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    38

    More monkey-shots

    Here are some Monkey-shots of my rig in various incarnations. Its hard to stop mucking with a bike like this. The main reason I got it was as a cheap way into 29ers, with so many options, canti's, SS, disc compatibility etc. Its a 16 inch, which can be very limiting for things like cable routing, fitting in bottles, frame bags etc but overall I love it. Can't keep off it. Current version has aero bars on it for some high speed gravel munching with the CX tires back on it.

    Oh dear, how sad : (
    I spent 20mins in my smoko time preparing a post, but I don't have enough cred on the forum. Oh well. Lets see if this is regarded as a link. Plenty of images on my blog here of the monkey if anyone is interested.

    Cheers
    jeff

    jeffsbike.blogspot.com

  17. #267
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo View Post
    I actually bought my KM with the intention of gearing it and turning it into a road bike. That was a mistake, It was way too much fun off road and I ended up buying a CC too.

    The CC has a better set of braze-ons than the KM, and the KM can't take a rack when you're running discs. I think the CC would be better suited to touring on the road/dirt roads because of this. Also keep in mind the KM is designed around fat knobbies. Shortly after I bought mine, I tried a taller gear and a set of 700x25 slicks. It felt awkwardly low to the ground and I kept striking the pedals in corners.

    There is some overlap, but the KM is a mountain bike. Have you looked at the Troll (more braze-ons for touring, but little wheels) or one of the Salsa bikes like the Fargo?
    My 16 inch karate monkey use discs and a freeload rack at the same time freeload.co.nz
    Cheers
    Jeff

  18. #268
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Now rolling with Kris Holm 47mm rims on Hope Pro 2 evo hubs,
    pressures down to 25 psi today and could go even lower without much worry of a pinch flat, soon be time to refit the rigid fork for winter

    r
    That is the coolest mudguard I have ever seen....

  19. #269
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    38
    Ok, here they are. Will try again. My next trick will be to do some TTing on it. I just need to see if road tires will fit on MTB rims. I have built some modified aero bars for hi-speed blasts on the gravel and I am amazed at how good they feel.





    CX photo by Craig Madsen




  20. #270
    mtbr member
    Reputation: esundell90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    768
    nice pics!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

  21. #271
    mtbr member
    Reputation: islander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
    Just a couple of questions for all the KM owners.

    2. Surly's website mentions that the new frames have the rear rack posts moved above the disc tabs so that a rider could mount a rear rack without interfering with a rear disc brake. Has anyone built up one of these new frames yet and happens to have pics they could post?

    Thanks.
    Anybody try a rack off the new mounts yet? I'm wondering what will be the best option to a) keep the rack close to top of the tire (ie not too high), and b) far enough back to keep heelstrikes to a minimum.

    Surly did good to move it away from disc caliper, but in the process, they moved it closer to rider and higher. Perhaps a rack designed around a 26" bike would be best??
    NSMBA Member

  22. #272
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    38
    Try one of these, a freeload rack. I took these photos 10 mins ago.
    This is last years model though (Karate Monkey). Will take way more hammering than a normal rack and you can put it on a fully or even on the front fork, of a fully.

    It comes with three sizes for the chrome struts, and the plastic clamps move up and down the alloy tube for fine tuning the position. I have seen them on all sorts of bikes from 29ers to 26ers. This is just with my CX tires on.







    Jeff's Bike Blog

  23. #273
    Monkey Junkie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    593
    I know this is a build thread, but I figured I might as well post a recent ride shot of my KM. Only one photo, so probably wouldn't start an entire thread of my own with it.

    This was about 10 miles in on a 25 mile adventure through the Dismal Swamp Wildlife refuge. It's a huge place, and really gives you a taste of what true wilderness feels like. This isn't a place you go to ride gnarly singletrack. It's a place you go to spend a lot of time on the bike and to explore without seeing anyone for a few hours. Few people come here to my knowledge, and they seldomly venture very far down the roads from the parking areas. The forest roads steadily change from relatively maintained to not really looking much like a road at all. Some areas were flooded with hub deep water. Had to slowly creep through that stuff. We also had to manage our way through a section with fallen trees that had ivy all over. Pulled our bikes through a hole in the debris probably created by an animal of some sort. Not your average "mountain bike" ride, but a great adventure not far from my current location. The KM seriously is a great adventure bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your KM builds-p1030787.jpg  


  24. #274
    white boy extraordinaire
    Reputation: cmweldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    241
    post more pics of this ride.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

    -the Dude

  25. #275
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    131

    More Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    I know this is a build thread, but I figured I might as well post a recent ride shot of my KM. Only one photo, so probably wouldn't start an entire thread of my own with it.

    This was about 10 miles in on a 25 mile adventure through the Dismal Swamp Wildlife refuge. It's a huge place, and really gives you a taste of what true wilderness feels like. This isn't a place you go to ride gnarly singletrack. It's a place you go to spend a lot of time on the bike and to explore without seeing anyone for a few hours. Few people come here to my knowledge, and they seldomly venture very far down the roads from the parking areas. The forest roads steadily change from relatively maintained to not really looking much like a road at all. Some areas were flooded with hub deep water. Had to slowly creep through that stuff. We also had to manage our way through a section with fallen trees that had ivy all over. Pulled our bikes through a hole in the debris probably created by an animal of some sort. Not your average "mountain bike" ride, but a great adventure not far from my current location. The KM seriously is a great adventure bike.
    Please put up more pictures if you have em.

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •