mtbr member

Length of a Big Dummy?

Anyone know the length of a BD from the front tire to the rear? I'm trying to figure out if it'll be possible to get one in my basement. I actually think it might be possible without all that much trouble. Thanks.

PRETENDURO
    Just measured with a tape measure—my 2010 Surly Big Dummy is a couple butthairs short of 7' long, from wheel to wheel (end to end). I am running 26" x 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms, so just a tad bigger than the standard tires. Biggest challenge for you will be getting it in/out of said basement; please do situps and pushups every morning if you plan on being strong enough for this bike to see the up/down transition to/from the basement, as it is a tad bulky.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I'm more worried about my poor ability to gauge spacial relations. Watch, I'll get it and not be able to get in the house. I guess it could always go in the living room. I'm sure my wife wouldn't object.

Just out of curiosity... how much does a BD weigh? I was thinking maybe 35 to 40lbs for a standard build with the bags empty.

lord of my world
    I would say more like 40 to 50lbs. depending on the build.

mtbr member
    Hmmm. That's kind of heavy to maneuver in tight spaces. It's funny, my wife actually said it could remain by the front door. She then went on to say that I should just buy a car instead. I've never owned a car. I'm in my 40s now, why would I want to do that?

It might be a little harder manuevering a BD in and out of the house than it's worth. Perhaps I'll have to consider some kind of trailer for big loads. Bummer. To be continued...

PRETENDURO
    Stock build for the 2010 model is 55 pounds.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Get one of those do it yourself shed kits and park it in there.

mtbr member

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by sfuller
    Get one of those do it yourself shed kits and park it in there.
    Hmmm..., how to get the shed kit home...

We actually have a small shed already although too small for a BD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll
    Hmmm..., how to get the shed kit home...

We actually have a small shed already although too small for a BD.
    I had my 10x10 delivered by the hardware store I bought it from. Big truck with a fork lift.

Devo
    depends on where you live.
    often times mine is cabled, shackled and covered with an old oiled army surplus tarp.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have recently discovered a new medical condition called "Big Dummy Elbow". It's when the inside of your elbow hurts from repeatedly hoisting a big dummy vertically so that you can carry it up and down tight stairs. I recommend NOT putting it in the basement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's the only bike of mine that I keep in the garage; the others go in the basement. It's too heavy and unwieldy to haul in/out of the basement. You'll find there are accessories that bolt on and stay on, things that stay in the bags like bungee cords, cables and u locks and never leave. It doesn't take much before the BD gets real heavy.