mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Largest tires fitted on a LHT?

So I saw this post on the Surly blog the other day and the picture of his bike got me thinking. A long haul trucker with knobbies would be a fun ride. Just was wondering if anyone else has done this and how big of a knobby tire you have fitted on it. I'm on the taller side, so I'd be riding one of the models with 700c size wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think 45mm. without fenders is the limit.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A 2.1 nanoraptor barely cleared the fork on my 2008 LHT. Rubbed the stays in the back. I did successfully put Panaracer Firecross 45c on with no issues. I found the low bottom bracket made riding off road a bit weird, but it worked ok.

IMG_0647.JPG by S.Fuller, on Flickr

IMG_0646.JPG by S.Fuller, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've done 40mm with fenders on the complete build 700c bike (stock rims). They were Schwalbe Marathon Extremes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you look at the pictures in the link I included in my original post that LHTis running schwalbe racing Ralph's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes it is, 26" 2.1" Racing Ralph's, not 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll chime in. I like to run Bontrager Jones XR 1.8" x 29er tires on my 700c LHT from time to time. It is fun - on the right trails. Awesome on fire roads. The low BB can be a problem if the trail is rough or uneven. But overall, I highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Copied from the Surly website:

Max. Tire Size
    700c: 45mm without mudguards; 42mm with mudguards
    26": 2.1" with or without mudguards

I like those 26" wheeled Truckers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A buddy of mine has a 700c Trucker with the 700x50c Marathon Supremes. They fit with a few mm of clearance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am currently running the Clement MSO tires (700c x 40) on my Disc Trucker with a rear SKS guard. Plenty of fork/stays clearance...almost no clearance with the guards.

I've done some light trail riding around DC, and am hoping to find something a bit wider (45s, perhaps) for the rougher stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by bike hippy View Post
    A buddy of mine has a 700c Trucker with the 700x50c Marathon Supremes. They fit with a few mm of clearance.
    Schwable tires run smaller than labeled. Have your buddy check the width with calipers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilsko View Post
    I am currently running the Clement MSO tires (700c x 40) on my Disc Trucker with a rear SKS guard. Plenty of fork/stays clearance...almost no clearance with the guards.

I've done some light trail riding around DC, and am hoping to find something a bit wider (45s, perhaps) for the rougher stuff.
    Not to hijack the thread, but how do you like those MSO's on pavement? I just got a pair of X'plor USHs. I thought the MSO tread looked a little too aggressive for mostly on-road, but I preferred the bigger volume of the MSO. I wish the USH came in 40mm like the MSO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but how do you like those MSO's on pavement? I just got a pair of X'plor USHs. I thought the MSO tread looked a little too aggressive for mostly on-road, but I preferred the bigger volume of the MSO. I wish the USH came in 40mm like the MSO.
    I love the MSOs all around. The lower profile tread in the middle holds speed on the pavement really well. I rode them on a century last weekend and didn't have much trouble riding with the 23 and 25 slicks next to me.

I had also been keen to pick up the USH, but wanted the extra width for some basic trail riding too. I'm also curious how the LAS series rides.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if a 29x1.9 Kenda Small Block Eight will work on a 56cm 700c LHT?

Members who have read this thread: 5