mtbr member

largest tire possible on a ogre

what is the largest tire that will fit on an ogre frame im thinking of getting one soon and was just wondering. would something like a 2.5 nevagal actually fit?i realize the website says 2.5 but has anyone squeezed a 2.5 or anything bigger on there just to see if it would fit. i plan on running the factory tires until they are done but want to reasearch tire fittment options for the future
    Last edited by 05kas05; 01-21-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Btw, what rim width are you using? Because wider rims would have the tires sit slightly wider than narrower rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, with front derailleur, and stock rims from the complete build, I was able to put 2.3" Big Apples on, if that helps. Not sure they would have fit with a much wider rim.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Like a FirePlug
    I run a pair of Kodiak's (29x2.5) on my 2011 KM during the winter, with Stan's Flow rims, no problem with clearance on the fork, one of the tires has a slight wobble so if I run it on the rear I get a very minor rub, otherwise they clear the rear by a 1/4" give or take.
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

I Ride for Donuts
    I don't think a wider rim would make a wide tire much wider. Maybe I'm dumb. I have run 2.35 Big Apples with full fenders on my Ogre, and a 2.5 would be easy. If the rim was two inches wide, it would still fit. You're not going to add any rubber to the fat part of a tire by increasing rim width. The contact patch might grow a little, but it's not going to suddenly be able to get that much wider on the traction end of things. You open up the bottom, but the top ain't stretching.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    It would have to be a very wide rim to make a huge difference. The difference is mainly in the width of the casing, which can interfere with v-brakes and accessories with very wide rims. Here's a picture I always go to when talking about this. Both are 2012 1x1 framesets with the same size tires (Kenda 26x2.35), but different sized rims. The first are 65mm wide rims, and the second are 28mm wide rims (my personal bike).

This may help the OP with what we are referring to, however this is an extreme example. The width of the rim will change the tire's looks, size and handling characteristics, but not by a whole lot unless you get a Rabbit Hole rim or something.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info and quick replys guys as i said before im going to run the stock tires untill they are done. im not sure if i will change rims but if i did i would like to find something about as wide as my 26" rhynolites but we will see right now im just waiting for it to get here so i can ride it and work from there.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre