Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    785

    Large or Medium Krampus?

    I'm 5'11". What's your experience with fram sizes? Usually ride large but the Krampus looks like a big bike at baseline.

  2. #2
    og1
    og1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    92
    The video I watched from Surly said if you rude a large in other Surly's you will ride a large in Krampus. Something about adjusted frame size.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    905
    I'm 5'8" and I bought on ett and seat angle. seat angle was the same and small was closest ett to current bike, so I went with small. I see no reason to run a shorter stem and have a longer wheelbase. I also run my krampus w/o the r. der spacer to get the wheelbase as short as possible, which is still 1cm longer than my older bike.

    If you were 5'10" I'd say Medium no doubt. But look at ett and seat tube angle (only matters if it's more than 1 deg. different) and see what compares to your current or a well-fitting bike.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    365
    Depending on your inseam height (measured via a book, pen and wall) your right in the middle (IMHO). Your intended riding style should determine your purchase. The logic expressed usually suggests medium for mainly off road riding of a more technical flavor and a large for more touring/all day riding/on road/gravel grinding. There will be other opinions out there but if you read "all" the threads in the Surly area that are to do with sizing, then what I've just posted appears to be the consensus. I've based my purchase of a large Ogre frame based on it and my approx 34 inseam. I'm 5' 11" as well. If you get the opportunity, a test ride of both would be a great idea.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,985


    I'm 5'11" with 33" pants inseam and longish arms. I ride a medium Pugs, medium Big Dummy and 58cm LHT. I got a medium Krampus and use an 100mm stem.

    I could ride a large Krampus with a 75-80mm stem and would have liked more room for a bigger framebag, but I have tight forest trails to ride so I figured the shorter wheelbase made more sense.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

    I'm 5'11" with 33" pants inseam and longish arms. I ride a medium Pugs, medium Big Dummy and 58cm LHT. I got a medium Krampus and use an 100mm stem.

    I could ride a large Krampus with a 75-80mm stem and would have liked more room for a bigger framebag, but I have tight forest trails to ride so I figured the shorter wheelbase made more sense.
    Not to mention a setback seatpost

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,985
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Not to mention a setback seatpost

    I'd ride a setback post on a large as well to get the right saddle to BB distance.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    365
    Going with the large framed Ogre (not yet finished) I've chosen to go with a straight post and 50mm stem in an attempt to shorten the cockpit. I'm still concerned I'll not enjoy how forward leaning my riding position will end up as I'm used to an extremely upright one due to having owned and ridden a very different style of bike for the last 17 years.
    I'm hoping my Titec J-bar will help with this too (as well as indicate if for me its worth spending the extra on some Jeff Jones H loop bars.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,711
    I ride all XL bikes, on the verge of XXL for some of my past bikes, but I ride a L Krampus. It has a long toptube. My L Krampus with a 90mm stem has a longer ETT than my XL 1x1 with a 100mm stem. Krampus is definitely a bike to get a size smaller than normal in my experience. FWIW I'm 6'3" with a 34" pants inseam. I feel as though an XL Krampus would only work with a 60-70mm stem, but I'm really liking the L frame size.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    905
    I think surly didn't feel comfortable making a true small given there's too much toe overlap. While clipped in, I hit my toes on my tires with my small, but only in unusual situations like doing a wheelie and turning the bars. I think surly didn't want to alienate shorter customers, so they just relabeled the medium to small and so on. Then they said to run a shorter stem and claimed it was all intentional to get a perfect feel. Ultimately the frame is stiff and a low-slung top tube helps in a variety of situations, especially with a loaded bike for bikepacking.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I think surly didn't feel comfortable making a true small given there's too much toe overlap. While clipped in, I hit my toes on my tires with my small, but only in unusual situations like doing a wheelie and turning the bars. I think surly didn't want to alienate shorter customers, so they just relabeled the medium to small and so on. Then they said to run a shorter stem and claimed it was all intentional to get a perfect feel. Ultimately the frame is stiff and a low-slung top tube helps in a variety of situations, especially with a loaded bike for bikepacking.
    This whole statement is just...weird.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,711
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClark View Post
    This whole statement is just...weird.
    Uhhh...yeah Surly ran many prototypes on the Krampus frameset before finalizing the production model. I highly doubt they made a geometry mistake (and continued production) which caused them to relabel sizes, run shorter stems and claim it was all intentional. The geometry of the Krampus and how it is meant to be ridden requires a longer toptube and shorter stem. It's been described as an all mountain hardtail style geometry, especially with the slack HT angle...I don't think all of this was a mistake..
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rattattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10
    Your frame size question is very interesting for me going only on virtual intelligence since I can't find a bike to test ride in my Eastern Europe area. The Geometry specs on the Kramups ETT show it is relatively way longer, but I got to order one first and find out. I am height 5-11 and have 34 max inches inseam but another facter, I'm an mature rider, sowed my oats on dirt bikes and steel mtbs, but still getting air anywhere I can on my Trek 970, but a more upright position would be appreciated on longer rides, I want a slightly more upright position to take a little pressure off the wrists, shoulders, and neck. Will a medium frame give me a more upright position? Or Would a large frame Krampus accomplish this position better with a riser bar or steering tube spacers to get the handle bars up higher? It's a clear thing that I need a Krampus style bike for me, I need an apocolypse bike, I like the apocolypes world of wind, ice, and mud, but also got to get to work and home in this sh*t weather and potholed streets. 1kxthanks

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CCSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    198

    Large or Medium Krampus?

    Interesting stuff. Reading all the posts suggesting erring towards the smaller of two possible sizes, I went against the conventional wisdom...

    I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam and have been riding mountain bikes since '88. Over the years I'd always gone toward "medium-ish" frames because I grew up a bmx kid, and figured the shorter wheelbase, smaller frames would be more fun/playful/flickable. I ran longer stems and longer, setback posts. All that said, I'm really happy with the large Krampus. I run a 90mm stem with a 730mm flat bar and a zero setback post. It handles the super-techy trails of Austin, TX with aplomb, and is amazingly comfortable. I demo'd a medium and I know I made the right choice for me.

    YMMV, but either way, you'll love the Krampus.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Uhhh...yeah Surly ran many prototypes on the Krampus frameset before finalizing the production model. I highly doubt they made a geometry mistake (and continued production) which caused them to relabel sizes, run shorter stems and claim it was all intentional. The geometry of the Krampus and how it is meant to be ridden requires a longer toptube and shorter stem. It's been described as an all mountain hardtail style geometry, especially with the slack HT angle...I don't think all of this was a mistake..
    I never said I thought they made a mistake. I think there sizing and geometry choices were influenced by toe overlap and legal concerns associated witha bike that has pedals that can hit the tire.

    You can look at the krampus as a fairly typical mountain bike with somewhat fatter tires that has a low-slung top tube and sizing off by a mark or you can call it all mountain geometry and run a short stem. To me it makes more sense to look at the riding position, recognize that it's fairly normal (albeit with a smaller size than you're used to from other manufacturers) and proceed from there. I see no reason to buy a long bike and put a short stem on it, but I can see a very plausible reason to market it that way. at some point if wheels keep getting bigger, how will small frame sizes be accommodated without crank arms hitting tires?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Interesting stuff. Reading all the posts suggesting erring towards the smaller of two possible sizes, I went against the conventional wisdom...

    I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam and have been riding mountain bikes since '88. Over the years I'd always gone toward "medium-ish" frames because I grew up a bmx kid, and figured the shorter wheelbase, smaller frames would be more fun/playful/flickable. I ran longer stems and longer, setback posts. All that said, I'm really happy with the large Krampus. I run a 90mm stem with a 730mm flat bar and a zero setback post. It handles the super-techy trails of Austin, TX with aplomb, and is amazingly comfortable. I demo'd a medium and I know I made the right choice for me.

    YMMV, but either way, you'll love the Krampus.

    Very interesting.

    I am 5,97 and i have inseam 35,5 inch (quite long legs regarding my total length)

    I normaly have my sadle at 82cm (32,2 inches) from center crankhouse to top of sadle.
    Normaly when I buy a new bike, the first thing i have to do is buying a longer seatpost.

    How high do you have your sadle?

    Since the seat tube on Large is “only” 475,5 cm (or 18,7 inches) I am worried that the seatpost maybe will be too short? I don’t know the minimum insertion?



    Sorry for my bad english, i´m from Sweden… (said in a “Swedish chef” kinda voice) ;-)

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    Very interesting.

    I am 5,97 and i have inseam 35,5 inch (quite long legs regarding my total length)

    I normaly have my sadle at 82cm (32,2 inches) from center crankhouse to top of sadle.
    Normaly when I buy a new bike, the first thing i have to do is buying a longer seatpost.

    How high do you have your sadle?

    Since the seat tube on Large is “only” 475,5 cm (or 18,7 inches) I am worried that the seatpost maybe will be too short? I don’t know the minimum insertion?



    Sorry for my bad english, i´m from Sweden… (said in a “Swedish chef” kinda voice) ;-)
    minimum insertion depends on seatpost length. a 450mm thomson should be plenty long. If for a given height you have longer legs than average, you will tend to want to go with a smaller frame than someone of your height since your torso must be shorter than the average person of your height, so less reach to bars.

    With this bike, I don't know why anyone would want to err on the side of too long, as it's big already. A longer bike means less weight on the front wheel, and in my experience with my krampus, you definitely don't want that. Contrary to what surly recommends, I recommend that you buy 1 size smaller than you would typically get. This is simplistic and therefore not perfect advice, but I think it's better advice than surly's(equally simplistic). This also means that if you're 5'5" there's likely no krampus that fits you well. Surly doesn't want you to be pissed that they don't cater to short people, but their lawyers wouldn't let them b/c of severe toe overlap problems with huge tires and a small frame. To avoid pissing short people off, they just lowered the seat tube and called the medium a small and so on. They explain it all away by calling it "all mountain" geometry. Which would seem to translate to, buy a bike too long for you and run a short stem.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    minimum insertion depends on seatpost length.

    a 450mm thomson should be plenty long. .
    No i don´t think so, many frames have some sort of minimum insertion for the seatpost into the seattube.
    To prevent stress on the top section of the seattube/frame

    Often they recommend the seatpost to go past where the toptube meet the seattube.

    Like for instace my other bike Specialized Epic FRS Comp large:
    The seattube is 460mm and minimum insertion is aprox. 10cm

    I have a Thomson seatpost 410mm (the longest they have, that I know of)

    If I have my sadle at aprox. 82cm there is only 1cm left on the seatpost.
    The minimum insertion is marked with a hole so you can easily see that you won’t extend the post too far.
    So if the seattube was about 2 cm shorter I could´nt (easily) find a seatpost that would fit.




    Thomson 450mm? where can you by that?
    Last edited by Stemag; 10-24-2013 at 05:35 AM. Reason: wrong quoting

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    43
    I am 5' 11" with a 32" inseam and went with a medium. It fits perfectly. I did get the extra long set back Thompson seat post, but just for piece of mind. I wanted as much seat tube as possible in the frame with room for adjustment.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stemag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    11
    Just got an mail from surly, there is no minimum insertion on Krampus (as pretendgentleman said)

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    Interesting stuff. Reading all the posts suggesting erring towards the smaller of two possible sizes, I went against the conventional wisdom...

    YMMV, but either way, you'll love the Krampus.
    Me, too, on both counts. I'm about 1 cm under 6' (call it 5'11.5") with long legs and short torso and I also bought the large. I run it with a 50mm stem as God intended and love the fit of the bike (it's actually made me wonder if I'd be happier on an XL Pugsley instead of the large I ride now).

    Fit is a very personal thing and I started out on the short top tubes and long stems of the early 90's and that set-up never felt comfortable to me. The newish paradigm of long TT's, short stems, and wide bars feels way, way better to me.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by Stemag View Post
    No i don´t think so, many frames have some sort of minimum insertion for the seatpost into the seattube.
    To prevent stress on the top section of the seattube/frame
    Thomson 450mm? where can you by that?
    I misspoke and agree. I would almost always go with the more conservative of two limits, keep the seatpost inserted far enough based on it's own guide and also go to the bottom weld of the top tube.

    not sure about the post, just looked and maybe they're not available anymore. You could call some shops and try your luck to see if they've got one in stock. I'm bummed b/c I'd been thinking about getting a silver one soon.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Me, too, on both counts. I'm about 1 cm under 6' (call it 5'11.5") with long legs and short torso and I also bought the large. I run it with a 50mm stem as God intended and love the fit of the bike (it's actually made me wonder if I'd be happier on an XL Pugsley instead of the large I ride now).
    Whats your inseam (barefoot) ? Im between a MD or LG Pug - im 5'10.5" / 31" inseam. Im afraid of LGs standover height @ 32.3"

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11
    I'm 6' 0" with a 32" inseam and went with a Large. I like the longer top top and being able to stay with a short stem. The Krampus is a blast!

    Dan
    Dan Shust
    Chief Laser Jockey

    Kustomcaps.com

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by pan0s View Post
    Whats your inseam (barefoot) ? Im between a MD or LG Pug - im 5'10.5" / 31" inseam. Im afraid of LGs standover height @ 32.3"
    My inseam, barefoot and using the book-in-crotch method, is a little over 34".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SB-95 Medium and Large measurements
    By DFYFZX in forum Yeti
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 10:01 AM
  2. SB-66 Medium or large? (with pic)
    By muell in forum Yeti
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 06:28 PM
  3. Large or medium 2012 907
    By Greenfin in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 12:54 AM
  4. NomadC - Medium, Large?
    By Kiser Soze in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 01:05 PM
  5. V10C Medium or Large
    By RickP in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •