mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Krampus vs. Nimble 9 Geo

Own a Nimble 9 and considering a Krampus.

I love the short stay/slack geo of the N9 and wondering how the Krampus compares handling wise. I realize the actual geo numbers are not as aggressive and I'm not one to compare geo down to 1/4 of an inch.

I basically want to know will the Krampus be close or similar in the feel, and more importantly, the fun factor as the N9 is.

mtbr member
    I quick look at the geo charts tells me that the N9 has MUCH shorter chainstays. I think the Krampus is geared more toward aggressive XC riding while the N9 is more of a DH/ trail bike.

that said, I love the short chainstays on my Karate Monkey. they are a bit shorter than what's on the Krampus.

mtbr member
    I own a Krampus and had borrowed a N9 for a few rides from a friend.

The N9 is slacker and feels that way. Real easy to pop the front wheel. Great downhill on techy descents. Not as great climbing, but not awful. Very snappy turning. I also hit my heels a lot on the N9 chainstays.

The Krampus feels much more balanced. It's not as great downhill on techy stuff as the N9 and not as snappy in the tight stuff. However, it's good at all those things and climbs well. The big wheels/tires roll over stuff very well and the traction is great. Given the size of the tires I would describe the Krampus as having light steering and a nimble ride, but not as nimble as the N9.

The existing Krampus fork is 483mm and if you added a suspension fork you would end up slacking out that front end a bit. I haven't tried that so I can't comment, but if doing lots of steep techy drops was on the menu that might be worth exploring.

If I could only have one or the other from general MTBing I'd take the Krampus because it's more versatile. Having said that if I lived in certain places and only rode there I can imagine some situations where I'd go for the N9.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I've had both...currently on a Krampus

The Nimble 9 was a nice bike. I thought that the top tube was just too high when running a 120mm fork. the bike was tall. It was a comfortable riding bike, though in the back of my mind I was concerned about frame integrity (for no particular reason, i guess). I also did not like the funky chainstay yoke design. the Krampus' yoke is very well done. Stiff. Stout. Nearly symmetrical.

Anyhow, I am now on the Krampus. I built it as a long travel hardtail, perhaps not how Surly might've intended. Who knows. I run P35s with 2.4 Ardents and it there's still great clearance.

It rides great on the trails. I do not notice any slow-ish steering running a 120mm fork. It is a TANK...I do not worry about riding this frame hard. And...it is a tank...riding to the trails on this thing is piggish. Meh. I do not notice the weight while on the trail, though. The frame rides lower than the N9...but the BB is higher. The short headtube is typical Surly... I am running @60mm of spacers and I hate the way that looks, but don't think about it while riding.

I tried to attach pics to show you the build...pic uploader on mtbr is not working. Not allowing me to "access" that function...? Huh?
    Last edited by badgermtb; 08-08-2013 at 06:22 AM.