Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Krampus suspension fork

I think this might be the answer for a suspension fork for a Krampus Lauf Forks - The Lauf Trail Racer 29 - The lightest suspension fork on the market. The only problem with the current model is has max 2.35" tire. Perhaps Surly could work with Lauf to develop a 29+ version. I think I'd be interested.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I disagree. The big tires already give you some undamped suspension. If you're gonna put suspension on the Krampus, get a real fork with some travel. The Lauf design makes more sense for a carbon framed light weight racer than a big burly steel Surly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm confused. Why do you think this is a good suspension fork for the Krampus? I was expecting to see something with big clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brdpkns View Post
    I'm confused. Why do you think this is a good suspension fork for the Krampus? I was expecting to see something with big clearance.
    That is why I said "develop a 29+ version" It is the concept that may work.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I disagree. The big tires already give you some undamped suspension. If you're gonna put suspension on the Krampus, get a real fork with some travel. The Lauf design makes more sense for a carbon framed light weight racer than a big burly steel Surly.
    Perhaps your right.
    I was thinking that I don't need to much more suspension than what the tire offers. I guess that the tire provide about 15 - 20 mm of suspension when it reaches it's maximum "bottoms out" the fort would them come into play offering an additional 80 mm of travel.
    I am no expert it was just a thought.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This fork requires NO maintenance! That's why it's better!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No lockout possiblility on that fork. For some reason they claim that as a feature?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    They say it doesn't need it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Or this Working well so far....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    and what, pray tell, is that???

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Maverick DUC32s.
    Plenty of room for a 29+ tyre with a bit of DIY spacer manufacturing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Re: Krampus suspension fork

Quote Originally Posted by ajantom View Post
    Maverick DUC32s.
    Plenty of room for a 29+ tyre with a bit of DIY spacer manufacturing.
    Please share....

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'll start a new thread with pics of the build

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Lefty Krampus

Krampus suspension fork-krampus-lefty-1.jpg

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Early reviews are not flattering. Gear Review: Lauf Trail Racer 29 fork | Mountain Bike Review

Doesn't seem like a good match for the Krampus.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Early reviews are not flattering. Gear Review: Lauf Trail Racer 29 fork | Mountain Bike Review

Doesn't seem like a good match for the Krampus.
    Maybe you will like it better here? Ti 29+
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krampus suspension fork-tikrampus4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ale50ale View Post
    Maybe you will like it better here? Ti 29+
    He is not talking about the Leftty, but rather the Lauf spring fork.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    I am considering buying a complete Krampus, and a Rock Shox Bluto fork. The Krampus geometry is corrected for a 120mm fork, so a hub, wheel build, and lower headset should be all I need. Am I missing anything?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Rock Shox is saying that there is not enough room for the 29+ tire in the Bluto fork.

All of the things you are taking into consideration are wonderful, BUT you can't do anything about the clearance under the bridge.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Rock Shox is saying that there is not enough room for the 29+ tire in the Bluto fork.

All of the things you are taking into consideration are wonderful, BUT you can't do anything about the clearance under the bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    Yep.

mtbr member
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    I guess there is now a 29+ suspension fork the Manitou Magnum 34. It is on the new 29+ Trek. I trust this will work on the Krampus any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    I guess there is now a 29+ suspension fork the Manitou Magnum 34. It is on the new 29+ Trek. I trust this will work on the Krampus any thoughts?
    Aside from having to rebuild your front wheel with a 110mm 15mm thru-axle hub, I see no reason it wouldn't work.

For people like me who want the squish for day rides but rigid for multi-day trips this would mean two wheels. Anyone know of a simple endcap style conversion kit for hubs to switch between the two sizes?

mtbr member
    The front hub has to change and the headset.

mtbr member
    wouldnt you just need 2 15mm x5mm bushings to make your 100mmx15mm a 110x15mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The front hub has to change and the headset.
    Why the HS? I thought they were both tapered, or are they different dimensions despite both being tapered?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickandBruce View Post
    Why the HS? I thought they were both tapered, or are they different dimensions despite both being tapered?
    The Krampus fork steerer isn't tapered, it is a straight 1 1/8. see Forks | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by I Like Dirt View Post
    wouldnt you just need 2 15mm x5mm bushings to make your 100mmx15mm a 110x15mm
    The hub now is 9mm with a skewer on the Krampus fork, can you convert that to a through axle?

Just did a google. I see some hubs can be converted. I have an XT on mine, I understand it can't be converted.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    The Krampus fork steerer isn't tapered, it is a straight 1 1/8. see Forks | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
    The same headset can be used for both fork. It's just a different crown race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    The same headset can be used for both fork. It's just a different crown race.
    thank you, you just saved me some money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    is it crazy to think this Magnum | Manitou might work on a Krampus.
    Be Fast.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nateh805 View Post
    is it crazy to think this Magnum | Manitou might work on a Krampus.
    Looks like length wise (axle to crown) the 100mm would raise the front end about 15-20mm, the 80mm would be a better fit geo wise but might not be enough travel considering the Krampus' attitude. Though the wide tires throw in some variables in regards to suspension I'm unqualified to comment on.

The 100mm Bluto on the other hand would put you very close to the stock fork and offer more travel.

mtbr member
    Surly states that the stock fork is 120mm suspension corrected. Where did you get the Magnum axle to crown dimension? I can't seem to find it.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Surly states that the stock fork is 120mm suspension corrected. Where did you get the Magnum axle to crown dimension? I can't seem to find it.
    https://www.benscycle.com/p-19921-ma...00mm-mblk.aspx

Not sure how correct that is, but it was linked from the "buy now" button on Manitou's site.

Surly states that the Krampus fork is fork is corrected for 100-120mm suspension travel, which makes no sense. The axle to crown on the Krampus fork is in the range of most 100mm standard 29er forks. A 120mm fork would raise the front 15-20mm, which I'm sure Surly thinks will be fine given their statement, but the tires won't fit. For a fork with 120mm of travel and clearance for the 3" tires it looks like the Bluto, again, (at 531 axle to crown) is your best option. But it's going to raise the front end ~10mm compared to a standard 120mm fork (or the Krampus fork + 20mm), depending on sag.

Seems like it may become an extensive/expensive experiment. Though I think the Bluto can be adjusted down if it proves too long at 120mm. I'm not sure of the adjustibility of the Magnum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The issue with the Bluto is that if you have proper crash, the adjuster knobs foul the Krampus' downtube.

mtbr member
    Sent Surly an email to ask if the Manitou Magnum will work on the Krampus. Will post if I get a response.

mtbr member
    That was a quick response:

"The new Manitou Magnum 100mm travel fork with work just fine on our Krampus. One of our Enginerds rode one out in Sedona about a month ago and said it works well on our Krampus frame. Plenty of tire clearance.

The 120mm travel Magnum is going to be just a little too long and add more stress to the frame than weíre comfortable with. So, if someone decides to use the 120mm Magnum on their Krampus that this could potentially void a warranty down the road if itís directly related to a failure.

One thing worth mentioning is that this is a boost fork (110 spacing) and the stock wheel that comes on the Krampus completes is not compatible or convertible."

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLees View Post
    The issue with the Bluto is that if you have proper crash, the adjuster knobs foul the Krampus' downtube.
    I was unaware of this issue. In this case the Bluto would not be an option for use on the Krampus.

That's too bad because you could have gotten a 120mm fork at the same length as a 100mm Magnum.

Edit: Actually with something like he FSA Head Block headset you could still get away with it. It's kinda hard to find in the US, and you will only need the top cup, but it's an option to squeeze some more travel in there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    One thing worth mentioning is that this is a boost fork (110 spacing) and the stock wheel that comes on the Krampus completes is not compatible or convertible."
    This has been driving me nuts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was so excited for the Magnum until I found out about the boost shenanigans. Not to mention the price tag of the magnum and the current price of a boost hub...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Apparently, if you're running Hope Hubs on your regular Krampus frames, they will be doing axle and disk mount adaptors so you can convert to Boost110.

This makes me very happy!
    Last edited by DanLees; 04-21-2015 at 03:42 AM. Reason: appalling spelling

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLees View Post
    Apparently, if you're running Hope Hubs on your regular Krampus frames, they will be doing axle and disk mount adaptors so you can convert to Boost110.

This makes me very happy!
    Where did you get this info? I'm curious about how they're making the brakes line up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

krampus with suspension

I think this issue has been addressed before.. Krampus with Front Suspension!

mtbr member
    Has anybody been successful fitting a Vittoria Bomboloni with a WTB ASYM I35 wheel and a RockShox SID RCT 120 travel fork? trying it on the weekend on my krampus black ops (out of town this week) just wondering if it'll fit

mtbr member
    I'm sorry but putting a left fork or that real ugly fork on the first post is a sin
    Surly Ogre
    Marin Pine Mountain 1
    Yeti SB4.5 For Sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

i have a set of 29+ wheels on my ice cream truck,plenty of space on the bluto...well,not plenty but it hasnt rubbed at all,might be bad in a muddy area but in the desert its been just fine

mtbr member
    Rockshox is releasing the Pike RC and Yari RC in 29+ soon. Both of the normal 29" forks come in 120mm travel so I assume the 29+ would be the same. Haven't found any info on the A-C measurement yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Been doing a little research and finding some conflicts. Can i install a tapered fork on my krampy or not? My lbs has one a reba on sale. But its tapered....

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc1111 View Post
    Been doing a little research and finding some conflicts. Can i install a tapered fork on my krampy or not? My lbs has one a reba on sale. But its tapered....

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
    Of course.
    Absolutely everything fits it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast