Thread: Krampus Rocks!

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Krampus Rocks!

Krampus Rocks!-laurel-mtn-fall-day-3.jpg
    Loving my Krampus in the tech! Great do all bike!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member

Krampus Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laurel Mtn Fall Day 3.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	840726
    Loving my Krampus in the tech! Great do all bike!
    I second that emotion, PaMtnBkr. Great shot!

mtbr member
    My favorite bike! I do wish it was a bit rockier where I am, though.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

Rider down under
    Would love to see the next few shots!

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

One more!

Here is the sequel. Only one more was available. I did clean it! Krampus Rocks!-7-springs-fall-day-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nice shots PAmtnbbkr. My nepa friends and I have been eyeing up the Krampus for a while. One rides a fatbike like me and the others are riding 29er HTs. I am curious how the Krampus compares to other bikes like fatbikes, 29er hardtails or full suspension bikes. We ride mostly in NEPA on trails such as LSP, 7 Tubs, Merili, Moon Lake, Moosic etc. I have read numerous glowing reviews on the Krampus but your photos are more similar to the type of terrain we encounter (not saying I clear them btw Thx

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Just for some background. I am 53 years young and I came off of a Ventana El Capitan, full suspension, 140mm at both ends, 29'r. Great bike! I can only realistically own 1 bike. I love rocky trails, especially humpy, larger type boulder types, so making the decision to go full rigid after 16 years of nothing but full suspension, was a hard one. My Ventana frame broke and I was also in need of a new fork. I went to my local bike shop and sticker shock really pushed me to make the decision to go w/a Krampus. Combine that w/a lot of maintaining of shocks, forks, bearings, etc because I ride year round and I ended up really wanting to simplify things and keep the costs down. I also figured it would help slow me down on some of the rockier down hills, that made my wife cringe every time I would talk about them. After 1 Life Flight for a broken femur and almost having to possibly take another for a high speed get off in the rocks, I decided I need to slow it down a bit too. Enter the Krampus! Relatively slack head angle, big poofy tires to at least take some of the chatter out of the trails and a different mindset/riding style on my part and I could not be more happy! I figured that I enjoyed riding 20 years ago when FS was not really happening and even a suspension fork was in it's infancy, so why shouldn't I still have fun on this bike? I ride a lot more deliberately now and really enjoy the pin point accuracy that riding a rigid bike enables you to do! I feel my bike handling has improved and I just seem to have more fun on this bike than I ever imagined! The only down side so far has been the upper body gets beat up a bit more than it used to, and the wrists take a pretty good beating. Other than that, my climbing is a lot better and the bike just rolls really well and is a lot of fun! My set up is: Large frame (I'm 6'2, 34" inseam) w/a 60mm stem, wide riser bars and a 28x36-12 drivetrain (best thing I ever did) I've ridden it at Rattling Creek and had a blast but was pretty sore the next day and at Raystown, forget it! Too much fun! Sorry for the long winded post, hope it helped?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That is interesting. I had wondered if a 28t chainring would work well on the Krampus. Which ring are you using (ring brand/crank)? Offhand, I think Raceface makes 26 and 28t rings but IIRC they are for the granny position (64bcd). Are you using the stock Surly parts or did you have to make other changes. How does the 28t compare to a traditional granny gear? Are you running into any major chain/tire rub with the 28t??? I would assume the stock Krampus is geared a little high for our area with the stock 34t ring. Sounds like you are having a great time with your Krampus!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a 1x10 28T x 11-36 setup on my Krampus that works great. I'm using a MRP Bling Ring on SRAM X.0 cranks with a XT medium cage double clutch derailleur. No chain guide. I've dropped the chain twice in a lot of riding, both times when I made the mistake of riding in the 11t position on fast, very rocky downhills.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    I have a 1x10 28T x 11-36 setup on my Krampus that works great. I'm using a MRP Bling Ring on SRAM X.0 cranks with a XT medium cage double clutch derailleur. No chain guide. I've dropped the chain twice in a lot of riding, both times when I made the mistake of riding in the 11t position on fast, very rocky downhills.
    pic?
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    pic?
    Krampus Rocks!-tumblr_mqpbuuilqk1rcaedeo1_1280.jpg

Fork is a X-Fusion Slide 29 modified by 3D Racing.

mtbr member
    That's interesting, that's some of the same thoughts I've had about full sus bikes as I get older--too fast, too much maintenance, etc. Not sure I'm ready to commit to a Krampus yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr View Post
    Just for some background. I am 53 years young and I came off of a Ventana El Capitan, full suspension, 140mm at both ends, 29'r. Great bike! I can only realistically own 1 bike. I love rocky trails, especially humpy, larger type boulder types, so making the decision to go full rigid after 16 years of nothing but full suspension, was a hard one. My Ventana frame broke and I was also in need of a new fork. I went to my local bike shop and sticker shock really pushed me to make the decision to go w/a Krampus. Combine that w/a lot of maintaining of shocks, forks, bearings, etc because I ride year round and I ended up really wanting to simplify things and keep the costs down. I also figured it would help slow me down on some of the rockier down hills, that made my wife cringe every time I would talk about them. After 1 Life Flight for a broken femur and almost having to possibly take another for a high speed get off in the rocks, I decided I need to slow it down a bit too. Enter the Krampus! Relatively slack head angle, big poofy tires to at least take some of the chatter out of the trails and a different mindset/riding style on my part and I could not be more happy! I figured that I enjoyed riding 20 years ago when FS was not really happening and even a suspension fork was in it's infancy, so why shouldn't I still have fun on this bike? I ride a lot more deliberately now and really enjoy the pin point accuracy that riding a rigid bike enables you to do! I feel my bike handling has improved and I just seem to have more fun on this bike than I ever imagined! The only down side so far has been the upper body gets beat up a bit more than it used to, and the wrists take a pretty good beating. Other than that, my climbing is a lot better and the bike just rolls really well and is a lot of fun! My set up is: Large frame (I'm 6'2, 34" inseam) w/a 60mm stem, wide riser bars and a 28x36-12 drivetrain (best thing I ever did) I've ridden it at Rattling Creek and had a blast but was pretty sore the next day and at Raystown, forget it! Too much fun! Sorry for the long winded post, hope it helped?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan View Post
    Fork is a X-Fusion Slide 29 modified by 3D Racing.
    Modified in what way? How much clearance between tire & fork arch?
    thanks-ripley

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just put Big Apples on my Ogre...first time ever on high volume tarrs of any kind and I'm beginning to 'understand' heh. If I get more dirt inclined as I go, 29+ or a fat bike are on the radar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley View Post
    Modified in what way? How much clearance between tire & fork arch?
    thanks-ripley
    He just milled out the bridge. There's lots of clearance -- I don't have a photo handy but there's one here:

Surly Krampus - Page 72

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I don't remember the brand of the 28t chain ring but it is a basic steel granny gear 28t and I am running Shimano Saint cranks BUT what I did was to mill the shoulders down on the granny gear mounting points on the crank in order to slide the 28t granny gear further outboard in order to clear the tire. It was easy to do but took a bit of filing to make sure I got the shoulders all level. The downside to this arrangement is that if I ever want to run a middle chain ring, I would need to put some spacers (washers) under the granny gear in order to have enough room between the 2 rings. I also put a couple of spacers on the bottom bracket drive side to move the chainline out a bit further. The Saint cranks are a perfect match for my type of riding and my ogre sized self! I am 6'3" 226 Lbs and ride at least 2x a week, year round. 28t took a little getting used to on steeper climbs but I have it paired up w/a 36tx12? 9 speed rear end and I climb just fine!
    Last edited by PaMtnBkr; 11-06-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: lousy spelling!

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    It was a leap of faith when I made the change for sure! I am totally in love w/riding this bike though! My riding style has improved and I feel like I am a better bike handler now as a result of riding a fully rigid bike. Climbing is so much better than before and a LOT less garage time is needed fiddling w/oil levels, bearings, air adjustments to shocks/forks! I could not be happier!