Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Krampus as an only bike?

13K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Gouda Cheez 
#1 ·
Bikes are getting more and more expensive. My son is getting older, so keeping both of us on relatively newer FS bikes is not going to be possible for much longer. I currently have a Ventana El Capitan 29'r set at 5" front and back. It is my only bike. I'm considering a Krampus as my every day ride for me, and he can have the FS bike if he wants. I would retire the Ventana but keep the components for the Krampus. My son is only 14 so it's not a huge deal yet. I live in western Pa and ride everything from flowing smooth singletrack to rocky fun stuff. Will a Krampus be up to task for some steeper stuff and some rocky stuff? Seems like a nice bike to transistion to? .

#37 ·
Krampus as an only bike here - so far, so good. I wanted something I could 'ride around town' and hit the trails whenever I want to. No one has said anything to me about the 29+/Knard setup unless I'm at the trail. First trail ride I heard the following over the span of about 2 hours:

'A fat bike?!?! Niiiiiiice' (sigh... not a fat bike haha)

'You must be beast for riding a rigid' (note: I'm not a beast)

'Surly?!? Wow nice!' (guess Surly's are few and far between in San Diego)

I can see how it'll get old, but we will see. I still dig the Krampus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.