Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr View Post
    I bought a Krampus and took it out for 2 days at Big Bear Lakes in WV which has a nice variety of terrain and.............. I LOVED it!
    Awesome! Congrats - enjoy the new bike...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I now have 4 very different types of rides in and I am still very happy! I am climbing better than ever for obvious reasons and surprisingly have not really slowed down too much on the DH sections. Those Gnards really roll up to speed quickly on anything even slightly downhill! They do just OK on slippery wet rocks and logs but then again, don't all tires lose some grip in those conditions? Comfort wise. I find myself standing up a bit more but this has helped w/getting more aggressive power to the ground when I need to use it. End of the ride I still feel as beat up as I did on my FS bike except for wrists and shoulders. Overall, this has been a swap out I never expected to enjoy as much as I am! Thanks for everyone's input!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    I'm several miles into my Krampus now... the more I ride, the more I love it. However, I have to say the thing I hate most is the Knards. Sure, they roll fast, but... as you mentioned, PaMtnBkr... on anything less than dry hardpack, they are loose. I've had several close calls, and last week, the front finally washed out from under me and I took a hard fall (bruised ribs hurt like hell!). I can't wait for someone to create an aggressive tire (i.e. Surly Nate, Schwalbe Hans Dampf) 29+ tire. I'll continue to run the Knard on the rear, but I need something (now!) for the font that will hook up better on the aggressive turns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    I can't wait for someone to create an aggressive tire (i.e. Surly Nate, Schwalbe Hans Dampf) 29+ tire. I'll continue to run the Knard on the rear, but I need something (now!) for the font that will hook up better on the aggressive turns.
    There is room in the front for a knobbier 29+ tire, but the clearance in the rear with the Knard is maxed out....so any knobby rear 29+ tire will need a narrower casing than the Knard to get the side knobs to fit.

I expect you'll see something new from Surly in the 29+ tire world by Interbike this fall.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I hope so vik. On my current/previous multi-&-single speed bikes, I've grown fond of running a fast roller in the rear and something with a bit more bite up front (example: Racing Ralph & Hans Dampf). It's been a great combo for me and the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm glad someone resurrected this thread because I wanted to weigh in...

About 6 months ago I bought a Krampus frame and had my LBS build me a wheelset (Rabbit Holes on XT hubs). I built it up and after a few changes am now running 30t wolf tooth front w/ 10 speed rear, XT shadow plus rear der, Hope M4 brakes with WAY too big of rotors (the front rubs on turns no matter what), and a Whiskey carbon bar. I sold my only mountain bike, a 29er hardtail w/ 100mm front fork to finance this, so the Krampus is my only mountain bike, and I love it. I ride hardpack singletrack and the only downsides I've found are the Krampus is a little less nimble in tight turns (ie, switchbacks) and I climb a little slower than before. However, the pros greatly outweigh the cons. I am faster downhill than I was on my 29er and when running the right tire pressure (13 psi) you flow right over roots. Between the higher downhill speeds and the faster cornering I feel it more than makes up for the slower uphills. All in all, I would make the same choice again 10 out of 10 times, and I have more fun riding the Krampus than I did my 29er.
    Last edited by Chupathingee; 07-09-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: wolf TOOTH not creek...

mtbr member
    I would definitely suggest a Krampus as an only bike for somebody. No need to explain my reasoning as there is a TON of info on the Krampus out there. Just count me in as a +1 for running the Krampus as an only bike.

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I would definitely suggest a Krampus as an only bike for somebody. No need to explain my reasoning as there is a TON of info on the Krampus out there. Just count me in as a +1 for running the Krampus as an only bike.
    This is pretty much how I feel. My 5" FS 26er bike has not moved since I got the Krampus built up a few months ago. I have only really jarred my teeth a couple times. The big fat tires allow you to bomb over stuff that you would think you need suspension for. I am pretty happy with it and unless you always ride rock gardens it could def be your only bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I hope to test out a Krampus one day. Seem like great bikes. As an only bike, not sure if I could live with that. For me, I not only love fast, open trails, but tight and twisty as well. For me, one bike would be something like a KM or Jones that have tight wheelbases, but you can also put a fat/semi-fat front for the rough stuff. Maybe a test ride would change my opinion....

PSYCHOLUST
    My $0.02
    When I built my KRAMPUS as a single speed back in April I hadn't really thought about which bike I would ride in which conditions.
    I love riding this bike. I have other bikes and I'll still ride my FATBACK in the snow and I prefer to race my NINER ONE9 for obvious reasons , but for every other ride I just grab the KRAMPUS..... It's an incredably FUN bike to ride and the KNARDs with 9psi corner and climb like crazy.

the only drawback is this:
    on almost every ride I come across some know-it-all who says
    " riding a snow bike in the summer????"
    that gets old fast....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule View Post
    the only drawback is this:
    on almost every ride I come across some know-it-all who says
    " riding a snow bike in the summer????"
    that gets old fast....
    Funny I was just saying to a friend that one of the things I love about the Krampus is that nobody has noticed it's not just a "normal" 29er.

On my Pugsley I get as many stupid questions as the number of people I ride past that day.

It's nice to be incognito on the Krampus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Krampus as an only bike?

Krampus as an only bike here - so far, so good. I wanted something I could 'ride around town' and hit the trails whenever I want to. No one has said anything to me about the 29+/Knard setup unless I'm at the trail. First trail ride I heard the following over the span of about 2 hours:

'A fat bike?!?! Niiiiiiice' (sigh... not a fat bike haha)

'You must be beast for riding a rigid' (note: I'm not a beast)

'Surly?!? Wow nice!' (guess Surly's are few and far between in San Diego)

I can see how it'll get old, but we will see. I still dig the Krampus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2