mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Krampus front vs squish fork on a KM

Anyone have experience comparing the two on a Monkey? Obviously rigid, even with a big tire like the Knard, is still rigid, but what does everyone think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Not on a KM, but I have a SS rigid with Knard (which is what I think you meant) and a SS hardtail. Taking away the geometry effects of the bikes, it's almost night and day difference. The 3" tire will not make up for the lack of suspension travel. Even the fattie 4-5" tires won't replace suspension. There are varying opinions, if you happen to have looked through other threads. Some people love riding rigid through all conditions, others can't take it. So it just depends on you and your terrain.

I'm in the rockies, and although some rides, I really miss having a suspension fork, you do learn to ride smoother and be aware of the trail a LOT more than bombing through the stuff on suspension. On the decents, this means going slower (usually), so if your thrill is on the downhills, get a suspension fork. If you don't care, and don't mind going a bit slower, then get a rigid fork. Expect to be a little more sore as well.

The great thing about the KM is that you can have both a rigid and suspension fork on hand and switch back and forth depending on the mood.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    You can also just put 29+ tires on a KM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinsir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinmosquito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thug View Post
    Superstar hubs laced to Rabbit Holes, converted to tubeless and now doing duty on my Karate Monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Attachment 824351Knard fits in the rear of my Karate Monkey on a 25mm rim. I just need to add a few links to the chain because it only spins freely when the hub is at the back of the track dropouts (outer knobs brush the chainstay where the wheel is slightly out of true at stock chain length). This is a size large 20" 2011 Karate Monkey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Attachment 824577Attachment 824578Attachment 824579Attachment 824580

Looks like 2-3 mm on each side. You can see that the tire is pretty curved on this narrow rim- probably not adequate for serious offroad shredding but I'm guessing it could handle lighter cruising.
    Quote Originally Posted by HomegrownMN View Post
    Running Kris Holm uni rims here, but I've had the Knard up front for 8 months now.
    Running the On-One chunky monkey in the rear (so fitting for the KM)
    Its rad. Weight isn't a biggie, but the cush and cornering are off the chart for what I ride in CO.

Just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by haentz View Post
    Hi guys! I installed the Knard 27tpi on the rear wheel of my Karate Monkey. While it technically fits when I push the axle all the way to the back I dont think this really works. There's about 3mm of space between the wheel and the chain stays. Because the steel frame flexes so much the Knard still scrapes on the chain stays when pedaling hard on in turns. Also mud and snow will quickly clog up the space. I only did a little 50km trip on mostly just slightly muddy ground though. The grip even on very wet mud puddles was fantastic though I have now installed the Knard on my front wheel, which of course works fine.

Here are a couple of pics, article is only in German, though: Surly Knard 3.0 im Karate Monkey Bikelog Mountainbike Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    Anyone have experience comparing the two on a Monkey? Obviously rigid, even with a big tire like the Knard, is still rigid, but what does everyone think?
    Depends what it's for. If your trails are really rough I'd rather have the suspension fork.

The Dirt Wizard 2.75" is coming out in 2014 and then you can run a big tire and a suspension for without having to do anything special to it or going the Lefty route.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com