Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

KRAMPUS frameset= $724.99 ?

14K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  scyule 
#1 ·
Until today I was certain that I'd buy a KRAMPUS frameset and build a 29+
I figured with a frameset,($725)
two rabbithole rims ($300)
and a pair of KNARDS, ($240)
I'd be set, as I'm sure everything else I'd need is already in my garage.

(wow.... $1265.00 frame+rims+tires)

But $ 725. for a steel frame set?

am I missing something important?

why isn't this a $500 frameset?

#10 ·
Taiwan or China ........Splitting hairs really HardyWeinberg. Your are probable right. I ditched all the caution stickers and made "in" decals ASAP. The main point is that the cost feels way steep for an "affordable" blue collar fun machine. Make no mistake I love what Surly has done. Cool innovative bikes in steel. Kinda a rebel bike builder with an attitude....I dig it but a chump like me needs to be able to afford it. I fear they are going all BMW with the label. So you guys at Surly stick to your play book and sell affordable solid bikes! 725$ for a frame has this cowboy in the stands watchin' not riding. I will buy more more Surly stuff if its not priced like you just got done smoking crack! Just keep it reasonable and not become some elitist brand name.

I don't know of any other bike company that has done so much innovation in the past 15 years other than Surly? They are true industry leaders. Just keep it affordable fellas!

I recall way back when Duluth Mn. news did a piece on a new bike called the big dummy. I took notice. A solid affordable domestic bike. Well not so domestic and not so affordable anymore. Again review the playbook!

Good talk!
(If you work for Quality Bikes please forward this the the head cheese)

#11 ·
Maybe it's because of the special chain stay yoke, and being a "fat" 29er bike frame, it also used a couple inches more of tubes or something, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the special metal flake paint job ;-)

Anyway, I read that you can use a direct mount front dérailleur, but I'm not seeing any mounting point on the pictures they provided? Anybody noticed that?

#15 ·
....the special chain stay yoke, and being a "fat" 29er bike frame...
this.
a lot of r&d went into this frame, you can tell. in time, i'm sure the price will fall down to other "normal" priced surly frames. think about any new product, where tons of design went into it, and other parts had to be manufactured to make it work (in this instance the chainstay yoke). you can't give this away.
i remember someone on here thinking that the ogre complete build was stout @ ~$1500, but look how many people on these forums own one, and think it's actually a great value.
i spent a thousand bucks on my "super slim, led backlight technology 46" smart tv" and some people with a 32" trinitron they've had for 15yrs probably think it's a waste of money....just because i think i got a good deal and it was worth it to me, doesn't mean you have to agree.....

#19 ·
Why don't you try a nice custom frame from a local bike builder if you want cheaper, oh wait, nevermind. I have had my 1x1 for 5 years now in 4 different builds, how many years will the Krampus frame last you? What are you going to find for cheaper? And last just as long.

#28 ·
2 1/2 Hours on My Surly Krampus Today
Surly Krampus First Ride.
This mornings Weather Conditions 3" of Fresh Snow, Snow Flurries and 11 Degrees.
As we Rolled out automatically The Krampus Felt Good. It Felt Fast, Rolled nicely and The Fit Was Perfect.
I was unsure of tire pressure I think I started with roughly 20 but soon deflated more and more during this morning Ride. The Bike handles like a 29er but with more grip. Log- overs were easy as pie. There was some Ice under the snow which was good with a little finesse. It Crawls through tight single track around trees yet when you want to hammer, He Goes. It was a great First ride
Merry Krampus!!

Seatpost is 330 long. No Toe Over Lap at All.

#29 ·
Normbilt!!
Speaking as a fellow former 1x1 chubby rider, how's that krampus handling the snow compared to the old ride?
my wife says I have to stop whining about fatbikes and get a real fatbike, but the krampus looks like it'd be more fun than a full fattie.
I'm really leaning towards it since having a pair of 38mm kris holms means no immediate need for anything but the frameset and tires!

#30 ·
Your 330mm of seatpost has inspired me!

I'm 5'8" with something like a 32.5" inseam, so a medium krampus would have me a bit stretched. But my current seatpost measurement indicates that with a small I'll have just under 300mm of post showing! I thought that was outrageous, but now I know someone else has more!

I will be running a layback thomson and probably a 90mm stem. on my current ride with ~8" of post showing, I bent non-thomson (cheap) posts every 3 or 4 months. My thomson has last more than a year with no bending, but I'm definitely skeptical that it'll last more than a year or two with 11" of leverage!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.