mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Krampus ETT: wow.

Has anyone else noticed how incredibly long the top tube lengths on the Krampus are?

I was pretty psyched about this ride until I saw that, a dirt drop setup is definitely not going to work on this one.

Is this to eliminate toe overlap with the hugeness?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Have you noticed how short the stems are in relation to the top tube?

Most complete off road Surlys in my size would come with a 90mm stem, the Krampus it's 70mm.

mtbr member
    It's that new AM sizing, long top tubes, slack head angles, short stems, and wide bars.

Really bummed that Surly stopped at XL on this one, was really hoping for a true XXL AM29er from them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dirt drops would be a poor fit for the intended use of the Krampus. This bike is set up like any aggressive bike is - if you're running longer than a 80mm stem, you bought too small of a bike. I would say 50 - 70mm is the best range for this type of bike.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    It's that new AM sizing, long top tubes, slack head angles, short stems, and wide bars.
    Bingo. It took a little while to get used to, but I'm really enjoying the geometry and how the bike rides. It definitely begs to "rip" and somewhat changed the way I ride a fully-rigid bike.

To add to this threads main topic, I think dirt drops may be better suited on the new ECR. I'm not sure if anybody plans to go that route, but I bet it would work fairly well for those who enjoy that setup.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I run a 60mm stem and really wide bars and love the way the bike handles the more technical aspects of trail riding! I have my rear wheel slammed forward in the drops. I tell people this is a BMX bike for us big folks!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Thats right. But I wonder why Surly didn't choose a steep seat tube like most modern AM bikes have. The 72,5 is slacker than a Karate Monkey and the took a setback seatpost, so a Krampus rider is sitting tucked over the rear wheel. Is this a bug or a feature?