Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 304
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315

    Krampus builds - post em here!

    i couldn't see a post dedicated in the Surly forum for Krampus builds so i hope people post their specs here.

    Why? Well i for one want to build one but have a few questions, particularly about crankset choices. never run a 1 x before and i think i'm gonna miss that 22t ring, i see complete it has 34t Zee crankset with a 34 at the back. Not sure that's gonna cut it where i ride so looking for options?
    Will any double fit? I've read that Surly suggest taking your 2 smallest cogs off the cassette and then space them at the big end.

    So this turns your 10 speed into an 8? do i still use a 10 speed shifter or will a 9 speed work ok?

    Will the limit screws on the rear mech come in enough to keep the chain out of "no mans land?"

    If you've built one, love to hear about it.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    Will any double fit? I've read that Surly suggest taking your 2 smallest cogs off the cassette and then space them at the big end.

    So this turns your 10 speed into an 8? do i still use a 10 speed shifter or will a 9 speed work ok?

    Will the limit screws on the rear mech come in enough to keep the chain out of "no mans land?"

    If you've built one, love to hear about it.
    Wherein We Attempt to Answer Your Krampus Questions

    Yes, it would turn your 10 speed cassette into an "8" but it will still have 10 speed "spacing" so you'll still use the 10 speed shifter.

    You could screw your limit screw in as far as you can, and see how far inboard you can get it to limit. If it limits enough to not get to your two largest cogs (before you modify it) you'll have your answer. (I don't have a ten speed cassette in front of me right now, otherwise I'd do it for you.)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    thanks for that, good call, i have a 10 speed on my Anthem i'll give it a go.

    are guys just using standard 29er tubes or the ones Surly recomend?

    I'm leaning more to a 1 x set up to start with, i do like the simplicity of it and i can always change it down the track.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    894

    my krampus

    Krampus builds - post em here!-dscn4847.jpgKrampus builds - post em here!-dscn4851.jpgKrampus builds - post em here!-dscn4850.jpgKrampus builds - post em here!-dscn4849.jpgKrampus builds - post em here!-dscn4848.jpg

    I'm running just a regular shimano deore triple crankset. 32t middle ring. I would definitely want a smaller ring for big hills(i.e., steep climbs longer than a half mile), but I think a double crankset will have the smaller ring a bit too close to the tire. I think the mr whirly crank with offset rings will be the best option for something smaller than 32.

    For the climbs that I usually ride, which are never longer than a 1/4 mile, I just stand up and make it happen. I get to the top faster, but also with more effort!

    I have the 27tpi tires and I had trouble going tubeless using split tube. I ended up using a low-density foam under the split tube to help push the bead towards the sidewall of the rim and it worked well. The foam is about 1" wide and .5" thick and is wrapped all the way around the rim.

    I think I might drop one gear from my 10sp cassette, as the 32t(front), 36t(rear) combination is a bit noisy from cross-chaining, and that's become and extremely important gear combo! I haven't checked yet if losing 2 cogs will allow me to run the full triple, but I'm thinking it might be worth it, especially if I can find a 13 or 14t to put on the bottom to interface with the cassette lockring.

    I built the wheels 3 cross and cross-laced (left hub flange goes to right side of rim and vice versa) which was very easy and so far not at all problematic. It feels like the wheels are much stiffer than 36h p35's at similar tension. Could just be the big rims I'm feeling.

    I also went with a small, desptite always riding medium bikes. I chose based on ett, as I'm not convinced by the short stem approach. I prefer the shorter wheelbase and am extremely happy with how the bike climbs.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    hi there
    thanks for the info! fyi i checked my 10 speed and the adjuster screw easily locked out the two biggest cogs so i think i'll be going with a double crank up front. further down the line i may opt for the new Surly OD crankset to get the full 2 x 10.

    Can i ask how tall you are? I'm also a medium rider normally but i got a small Pugs for a good price and apart from putting a 100mm stem and longer seat post, it's been great.
    So, i will be going for the small definately based on the ETT numbers.

    What size stem are you using? what height are you and inseem?

    cheers
    Steve

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    hi there
    thanks for the info! fyi i checked my 10 speed and the adjuster screw easily locked out the two biggest cogs so i think i'll be going with a double crank up front. further down the line i may opt for the new Surly OD crankset to get the full 2 x 10.

    Can i ask how tall you are? I'm also a medium rider normally but i got a small Pugs for a good price and apart from putting a 100mm stem and longer seat post, it's been great.
    So, i will be going for the small definately based on the ETT numbers.

    What size stem are you using? what height are you and inseem?

    cheers
    Steve
    I'm 5'8" with legs on the longish side 31.5" or so inseam. not sure about arm length relative to others. I'm running a 105mm stem I guess I'm not buying into the long tt and short stem idea. I'd rather have the front wheel more underneath me so I can put lots of weight on it. The frame comes with tugnuts which move the wheel back in the dropouts 1/4" to give your f der more room. I am not running them and really like the short chainstays for climbing. Not wheelies, just great traction, so longer will only makes climbing harder. on twistie turnie descents I put lots of weight on the front wheel to make it stick in the turns and a long tt would work against me.

  7. #7
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,441
    If you're building your wheels from scratch I'd highly suggest you look at using an SS hub and putting as many cogs as you can on it depending on your speed selection - 9 or 10spd. Will build you a dishless rear wheel and keep the chain far away from the huge tyre. Check out the 29er forum for a couple threads on this, but just an FYI, without any machining I can fit 6 9spd cogs onto a Hope SS/Trials hub, if I do some machining to the carrier on an XT cassette I can run 7 cogs easily and 8 if I really wanted to with some "fiddling", so for 10spd you could easily run 7 without any work and 8 with some work.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If you're building your wheels from scratch I'd highly suggest you look at using an SS hub and putting as many cogs as you can on it depending on your speed selection - 9 or 10spd. Will build you a dishless rear wheel and keep the chain far away from the huge tyre. Check out the 29er forum for a couple threads on this, but just an FYI, without any machining I can fit 6 9spd cogs onto a Hope SS/Trials hub, if I do some machining to the carrier on an XT cassette I can run 7 cogs easily and 8 if I really wanted to with some "fiddling", so for 10spd you could easily run 7 without any work and 8 with some work.
    Sounds interesting. I looked in the 29er forum, but didn't see anything obvious. would you mind linking to one or 2 of these articles?

  9. #9
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,441
    6 speed cassette on SS hub....Please post your setup
    6 cogs on a SS hub -- best solution?

    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    Sounds interesting. I looked in the 29er forum, but didn't see anything obvious. would you mind linking to one or 2 of these articles?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    that is interesting thanks for that. i do have my heart (now) set on a 2 x 10 set up, i'll have to fork out for a surly mr whirly crank with the MWOD chainrings and 72mm spindle, that or the new O.D. crank whenever that comes out (if i can wait).

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    23
    i have the MWOD on my Krampus, but I'm just using it as a kick shift (no derailleur). Works great.

    Krampus builds - post em here!-img_3062.jpgKrampus builds - post em here!-img_3064.jpg

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    well my frameset is on the way, wheels are built and will ship next week. still gathering parts but i'm afraid the hold up will be the cranks.
    xt shadow rear mech
    xt 2 x 10 direct mount front mech

    still deciding on either slx shifters and brakes or xt, i've had the new slx on another bike i to be honest, i can't pick the performance difference between the two, might come down to what i can get in stock at the best price at the time.

    i have the 120tpi knards and definately going to try split tube tubeless before i go to tubes.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,825
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    If you're building your wheels from scratch I'd highly suggest you look at using an SS hub and putting as many cogs as you can on it depending on your speed selection - 9 or 10spd. Will build you a dishless rear wheel and keep the chain far away from the huge tyre.
    You can use the offset holes of the RH rim to build a even tensioned rear wheel [or close to it] with a normal rear hub.

    Here is an example...

    http://www.jonesbikes.com/?p=2383&op...ress&Itemid=58
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    894
    you still get a better bracing angle with the ss hub.

    I'm very very happy with my cross-laced (and 3 cross) RH wheel. It's far stiffer than my previous wheel, a 36 hole 3 cross p35 with the same shimano hub. For someone who rides very hard and who is heavy, it's the best I've ever experienced on a 700c rim. I've ridden the wheels for about 150 miles now and highly recommend cross-laced builds.

    With a regular cassette hub you can choose regular, offset (like you vikb posted) or cross-laced. offset has more even spoke tension than regular and cross-laced has a better bracing angle than regular. ss hub can get you both, but all the ss hubs that take cassette cogs are too expensive for my buget.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    212
    2 x 10 set up on mine with regular spoked rabbit holes, no issues at all getting all 10 cogs on either ring


    Krampus 1st ride by Steve J Makin, on Flickr


    Krampus 1st ride by Steve J Makin, on Flickr

    and for info, Krampus Flickr group here

    Flickr: Surly Krampus

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    are you running an XT crank on that? are you getting all 10 on the rear???

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    212
    yes and yes

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    i'm very happy to hear that but i am suprised, mainly because of Surlys insistance of having to use an offset double cranks.
    is there much tyre clearance when on the little up front and big on rear?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    212
    we measured about 5mm

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    i can live with that, i checked out your flickr pics, i love your ride, great build!
    my frameset arrives tomorrow (fingers crossed), wheelset etc next week, more parts are on their way.
    just need brakes and crankset and i can finish it off. i'll post some pics when i have something to show

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    212
    In hind sight, I would have gone with an XL frame simply for the head tube size increase, the cockpit is a little on the low side for the flat thomson bars, easily fixed with some budnitz riser bars that should be on their way to me now.

    I went L due to the top tube length thinking XL would be too long.... doh !

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    In hind sight, I would have gone with an XL frame simply for the head tube size increase, the cockpit is a little on the low side for the flat thomson bars, easily fixed with some budnitz riser bars that should be on their way to me now.

    I went L due to the top tube length thinking XL would be too long.... doh !
    I'm surprised the headtube length would affect fit at all. My fork had a lot of steerer tube to allow room to adjust height.

    The sizing is definitely a bit tricky. Fortunately most people will be mostly happy with more than one size, so picking a horrible size for you isn't that likely. I'm happy with my small that I bought based on ett. the longer bike I would have gotten with the medium has several small disadvantages due to its increased size, e.g., longer wheelbase and less weight on front wheel.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    212
    headtube is about 3/4inch longer on the XL, and yes I could have left the steerer longer but dont particularly like the look that gives, its a minor point and easily fixed with riser bars...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    i'm very happy to hear that but i am suprised, mainly because of Surlys insistance of having to use an offset double cranks.
    is there much tyre clearance when on the little up front and big on rear?
    for me, using the middle ring of a fsa triple, there is very little clearance. If its bumpy and I'm not pedaling, the chain catches a bit on the knobs, which makes noise but doesn't seem to have other deleterious effects. It's probably worse for me since I'm running the wheel all the way forward in the dropouts, while most people seem to be running the monkey nuts for a 1/4" longer cs.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    is it correct info that the framesets ship with the monkey nuts included?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •