Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Krampus builds - post em here!

379K views 1K replies 246 participants last post by  vikb 
#1 ·
i couldn't see a post dedicated in the Surly forum for Krampus builds so i hope people post their specs here.

Why? Well i for one want to build one but have a few questions, particularly about crankset choices. never run a 1 x before and i think i'm gonna miss that 22t ring, i see complete it has 34t Zee crankset with a 34 at the back. Not sure that's gonna cut it where i ride so looking for options?
Will any double fit? I've read that Surly suggest taking your 2 smallest cogs off the cassette and then space them at the big end.

So this turns your 10 speed into an 8? do i still use a 10 speed shifter or will a 9 speed work ok?

Will the limit screws on the rear mech come in enough to keep the chain out of "no mans land?"

If you've built one, love to hear about it.

#1,047 ·
Since I decided that my old Karate Monkey

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

needed wider tires, I picked up a Demonic Sparkle Party Krampus frame, swapped what parts I could and replaced the rest:

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

PS: Fixed gear 34x19, RotoR crankset. Rear hub is a Surly fixed/disc 135mm with a pair of their 10/12 adapter washers to fit the GnotBoost. Both hubs converted to bolt-on by tapping the inside of the QR axles since the conversion kits are all gone (just had to buy the end caps and some SS bolts).

#40 ·
90mm stem working fine so far.

Centre of crank to seat rails is 27.5" in my normal riding position.....maybe lower it an inch or two less if I'm offroading.

First look.....I thought I had messed up going smaller than the moonlander.....but it's awesome.

I know the odd time I'm rock crawling, the moonlander can be a handful and not as nimble as I'd like, but 95% of the time it's perfect.....so going to a taller wheel I wanted more crotch space as the krampus is my play bike.

#70 · (Edited)
I've got about 100 miles now on my fatter front krampus; I've ridden 20+miles every day this week in preparation for a long break entertaining in-laws from out of town. I would really like to try this setup without losing an inch of axle to crown with the fork change. even though the ht is 1 degree or so steeper, it rides great on the fast downhills. the 4.8" bud tire (actually measures 4.5" on darryl rim) is far more supple as a form of suspension than the wee little 3" tire! Regardless, I was riding a really nasty eroded rooty section on some over-maintained public trails near me and definitely could see room for improvement with conventional suspension piled on top of everything else.

#158 ·

only pic so far....
L frame (6' tall)
rabbit holes laced to hope pro2 evo hubs w/ dt swiss comp spokes + brass nips (setup tubeless with the surly rim strips and 2 layers of gorilla tape on top of them and 4oz of orange seal in each tire)
deore shadow plus rear der
deore ispec shifter
deore hydraulic brakes
sram 11-36 cassette
sram 1071 chain
sram ss crankset
paul keeper
thomson post
specialized phenom saddle
race face atlas bar
70mm dimension stem
esi chunky grips
black ops nylopro pedals
cane creek 110 headset 44mm internal top/external lower

29lbs...rips like a 20lb bike

#164 ·

29lbs...rips like a 20lb bike
Ain't that the truth :thumbsup: Nice bike.

Is your tire seated properly on the rim? If you have a portion bead not seated properly with a tubeless setup you can get some tire movement like that. If not, it may just not be a perfect tire. My Knards do that a little (not quite as much as yours). There's no perfect tire...Specialized tires have had a bad wrap in the past for having tires much worse than your Knard when mounted and inflated correctly.

#181 ·
#321 ·
Hi

Sorry if the answer to this is buried in the thread somewhere, but how would you go about making a Krampus ops a double?

I guess you need an adapter for the derailleur which doesn't come with the complete bike and isn't on surly's website, and chain rings that will shift and will fit the OD crank, again not listed on the website and the size of the bolt pattern is unknown.....

Ian

#442 ·
New Toy...

I have been thinking about one of these since I rode a prototype at a demo a few years ago. Waited for a suspension fork and realized any new 29+ forks are probably going to need the Boost format hubs. I already had wheels and other parts from my ECR so decided to go with the MRP Stage.

Frame is large 2014 green with MRP Stage at 130mm. Chris King hubs, bottom bracket and headset. XT brakes and drive train. Thompson stem and Deity CZ38 bars. Velocity Dually rims with Maxxis Chronicles set up tubeless. Wolftooth 42 cog and OneUp Rad cage on derailleur.

The only real issue I had with the build was the rear brake caliper could not move forward enough to clear the 180mm rotor. I had to space the caliper up with washers to get enough clearance for the rotor to spin. I also did some minor dremel work on the Stage to radius the sharp bottom edge and gain a mm or two. Tire to fork clearance is 4 to 5mm. Tire clearance at the chain stays and the edges of the tire is also close but not enough to rub. The edge knobs of the Chronicle stick out more than the Knards.

After a few good rides I have to say this thing is a blast to ride. Yes the bottom bracket is high, the CS is 17.5" and the feel of the bike is sort of old school, but that does not mean it is not fun. With this set up it is very easy to manual and wheelie vs a stock build. The main standouts for me are how well this bike holds its speed and how well it works in technical terrain. It is not the best bike to jump on, but I have a nice FS for that sort of riding.

Pics:

Attachments

#445 ·
Krampus on Mt St Helens.

Got out for a great ride up Ape Canyon to the Plains of Abraham. This ride involves a fair amount of climbing that I manged although couldn't help thinking it would have been nice to have a double up front. The 29+ wheels excelled on the pumice and rocks and on the descent through the trees. Ha d great views of Mt St Helens and even came across two mountain goats on the trail.

Attachments

Reactions: bmike
#531 ·
Finally!

Excited to finally be part of club! XL Krampus, currently all stock components. Looking forward to customizing. Nice to finally have a big bike... I'm 6'5".

Initial thoughts: moonlit swamp looks better in person than pictures. Beautiful. Salsa whammy bar- loving a wide bar more than I thought I would.

Rides like a beast. Coming weeks will involve going tubeless, throwing some color in them rabbit holes, grips, pedals, seat post, etc. Long term; TBD.:eekster:
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

#534 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Finally got it together, here's the build:
Large Frame
Brooks B17
Gravity Dropper Descender seat post
DMR Wingbar
Thomson BMX Stem
ESI Extra Chunky grips
SRAM GX 2x Boost cranks 36/22
SRAM GX Shifters & derailers
Sunrace CS-MS8 11-42 11 spd cassette
Manitou Magnum Pro w / custom decals
Hope EVO2 Boost front hub
Shimano SLX rear hub
Blunt 35 rims
Gravity Vidars

It has been raining for days, so I had to stick to the gravel. Can't wait to get it in the woods!

#546 ·
Not the best photos, but just installed the new crankset and pedals, and want to share. The pedals are DMR Vaults in Oilslick color. Really like them. Of course, we had a thunderstorm with gusts to 70 mph this afternoon, so I couldn't try them, but they feel great in the living room. (Yeah, I know, high seat post, but medium tt would be too long, and wanted this bike, it's a size small, I'm 5'7" with 33.5" inseam, so the closest approximation is fine with me. A medium ECR would have fit perfectly, but I'm not a bike packer).

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Bicycle frame

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Reactions: hamsterspam