Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Krampus builds - post em here!

379K views 1K replies 246 participants last post by  vikb 
#1 ·
i couldn't see a post dedicated in the Surly forum for Krampus builds so i hope people post their specs here.

Why? Well i for one want to build one but have a few questions, particularly about crankset choices. never run a 1 x before and i think i'm gonna miss that 22t ring, i see complete it has 34t Zee crankset with a 34 at the back. Not sure that's gonna cut it where i ride so looking for options?
Will any double fit? I've read that Surly suggest taking your 2 smallest cogs off the cassette and then space them at the big end.

So this turns your 10 speed into an 8? do i still use a 10 speed shifter or will a 9 speed work ok?

Will the limit screws on the rear mech come in enough to keep the chain out of "no mans land?"

If you've built one, love to hear about it.

#1,043 ·
My gal surprised me with a Krampus frameset that I had been holding off buying for myself. Built it up a couple days ago and am very happy with he fit and feel compared to the Karate Monkey it replaced. Second photo has her Salsa Journeyer as well

spec highlights:

GX eagle drivetrain with microshift thumbie
Atlas 165mm cranks and 30t ring
One Up carbon bar
Hope Pro4 hubs, double butted spokes, surly rabbit hole rims, 3.0 exo+ DHR2 tires
I’ve also got an Elkhorn rack, couple salsa cargo cages, etc for it

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Wheel Tire Sky Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

#1,030 ·
Hey y'all, I'm thinking about selling my Krampus and figured I'd see if anyone was interested here (if that's okay). It's a custom build on a Tangled up in Blue 2020. I started out thinking I was just going to use this bike for packing, but it quickly evolved into a beast of a trail machine. Here are some notable specs:

• Marzocchi Bomber Z1 130mm fork
  • Works Components -2 degree headset
  • GX 12sp cassette and shifter with NX crank
  • Sunringle MuleFUT 50 rims front and rear with 29x3 dirt wizards (front is tubeless, rear tubed)
  • XT brakes w/ 180mm rotors
  • Hope Pro4 rear hub

Unfortunately the rear rim has a couple of dings and flat spots, but it has held up just fine for me on some gnarly trails! I also have a frame bag that I made for this bike I could include. I'm located in Bozeman, MT, but am willing to ship if anyone would be interested. Let me know if you have any questions! - Brendan

Attachments

#1,024 ·
Those things rattle, need tightening often and I've seen some broken ones. Why not just get Anything or Manything cages to increase water capacity? BarYak also sells a Mule system that is way more reliable than the wolftooth for adding carrying capacity.

Just finished up 1800+ mile ride from Tucson to Santa Fe. 115k climbing, 24 days riding. Pic above is near Grand Gulch Mine/Airstrip. Grand Canyon-Parashant Monument, April 2021. Morning before, I left StG, 2 days after this pic I was at Kelly Point Overlook, and 2 days after that Toroweap Overlook, 2 days later Kanab. Only 1 water spicket, very few people, no stores. Link in profile to blog. More about all the not much **** on my bicycle, 29+ Krampus, Elevation Wheel Company built Spank 395, DT350, SON28, K-lites, Anker 10k powerbank, SPOT, Garmin eTrex30, Shimano 12, (34-10/51), lots of Voile straps, Tubelito, plugs, etc. I can, do, and will carry upwards of 12-14 liters, 4-6 days food, mostly off the beaten path stuff in the west. 5th year of spending 8 -10 months a year on my bike, odd jobs here and there. Dirtbaggin'. Tarptent Protrail, carbon poles, EXPED insulpad, Revelation quilt, changes by season to whatever works. Sawyer squeeze, pocket rocket, puffy and wool. Was riding 2.6 120tpi Minion DHF f/r but recently went to Butchers. Much better in my opinion. Heavy, tough sidewalls, amazing grip, suck on pavement like your tires are flat. The 3C MaxxSpeed lends itself to long mileage, but slight on grip. Probably riding nobo great divide to Salida, get rear wheel rebuilt in Colorado Springs, nobo to Ft Collins (home), for a minute then maybe the east coast via TAT picking up where I left off in Moab in September 2020.

Attachments

#1,025 ·
Link in profile to blog… Probably riding nobo great divide to Salida, get rear wheel rebuilt in Colorado Springs, nobo to Ft Collins (home), for a minute then maybe the east coast via TAT picking up where I left off in Moab in September 2020.
Living the life! Couldn't see any blog link but would be interested to follow your travels. Cheers. Marv

#1,039 ·
Bicycle Bicycle frame Triangle Bicycle fork Bicycle part

The new green is more army than British racing. The new curry yellow color, to me, is gorgeous. I ultimately wanted low profile for times when it's unattended during resupply or stashed for foot travel. I had a red one but couldn't keep it at the time - I'm surely not the only rider to have bought the same bike twice.

This will be my first bikepack-specific bike built with the intention of keeping it. Substantial BP outings so far were on single-use builds and repurposed trail bikes.

Such a simple and solid design, thrives with weight on it. Cheap and replaceable enough to be nonchalant with. Comfortable beyond reason while loaded. The build will be mostly utilitarian with a few scavenged shop parts. I have all confidence Berd spokes will take it to Orgasmatron level. My leather saddle will have another new home, and I'm giving Tumbleweed's 30°-backsweep Persuader bar a go.

#1,040 ·
View attachment 2012332

The new green is more army than British racing. The new curry yellow color, to me, is gorgeous. I ultimately wanted low profile for times when it's unattended during resupply or stashed for foot travel. I had a red one but couldn't keep it at the time - I'm surely not the only rider to have bought the same bike twice.

This will be my first bikepack-specific bike built with the intention of keeping it. Substantial BP outings so far were on single-use builds and repurposed trail bikes.

Such a simple and solid design, thrives with weight on it. Cheap and replaceable enough to be nonchalant with. Comfortable beyond reason while loaded. The build will be mostly utilitarian with a few scavenged shop parts. I have all confidence Berd spokes will take it to Orgasmatron level. My leather saddle will have another new home, and I'm giving Tumbleweed's 30°-backsweep Persuader bar a go.
I wish my Krampus had all those braze-ons. jealous:)

Reactions: She&I
#566 ·
I also got bored...

Haven't been riding because our trails got clobbered by all of our recent Nor-Cal storms, so I made a Krampus head tube badge last night. She also recently got a rear King hub with fun-bolts and an SLX crankset.

Attachments

#1,036 · (Edited)
Recently got a Specialized Chisel, but keeping my OG green Krampus. It's too versatile to get rid of.
My biggest upgrade was some nice tubeless wheels and full XT 10spd drivetrain.
Now it has some cyclo-cross wheels and 2" tires, but it's still fun on singletrack, and great for general rambling on roads, dirt and gravel.
I do wish it had more braze-ons for racks etc.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Also found some stubby old bar-ends in my parts bin. I think they work well with this setup.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Attachments

#350 ·
my Krampus

Been lurking here for some time and finally decided to get a bike. So after many hours of research and test rides I picked up a 2014 Surly Krampus XL. I've been backpacking for years so I can use this for bikepacking and trails, and there are many in Colorado where I'm currently working. Upgraded to a Brooks B17 saddle and ergo grips then added a Garmin edge 510 and flats so I can wear trail runners and hike a bike when I need to. Have just over 300 miles on her now and I made a great choice. Pics are with revelate bags for bikepacking and after my trail ride today without bags.

Attachments

#457 ·
Here are a few pics of my Krampus after a rebuild. New powdercoat, carver ti bars, Hugo rims, and a new lefty. I also cut some custom 29+ stickers for the lefty. I still need to get around to a slight trim job on the front brake hose

IMG_4454 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
IMG_4457 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
IMG_4459 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr
IMG_4460 by tim_w_sage, on Flickr

#1,045 ·
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Plant community

Freshly wrenched, with well-used kit and new Surly #8 frame bag.

Large frame
XT/Turbine/Sunrace 11-sp drive
Derby 40i/Berd/DT Swiss 240 wheels by Lace Mine 29
Magura Louise brakes/Formula floating rotors
Thomson Elite 4x 70mm x 10° rise stem
Tumbleweed alum Persuader Bar/Ergon G1 Fat grips
TranzX Kitsuma Air 170mm dropper/PNW Loam lever/Selle Anatomica Titanico X saddle

As warned, it’s a mix of used, bin and new parts. The wheels, lovingly spec'ed and assembled by Mike C., were the coup de grace of an otherwise utilitarian build.

Sorry about the terrible "bike photo." The color scheme obviously wasn’t planned, but the red items (aside from the hubs) will disappear from wear and UV exposure soon enough.

It checks out perfectly. It’s great to have a Krampus again.