mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Knard-Rabbit Hole Tubeless

I am planning on a 29+ wheel build for my Beargrease for summer trail riding. Has there been any success with setting up the Knard/Rabbit Hole combination as tubeless? I know there are other rims & tires coming to market and I'm not necessarily set on this combo. There's just not a lot of 29+ in my area to check out. Thanks!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    mine set up pretty easy with just gorilla tape and a strip of window foam,even the 27 tpi are holding up fine even though the sidewalls are still bleeding stans. i used a 40 gm co2 cartridge and it popped right out to the bead.
    only seen a set of chupacabras and the knards so far,havent heard any bad feedback on the chupas so far.our local trails tend to be rocky and/or sandy and pretty tough on tires.i have been very happy with the knards on my krampus,they seem all but unshakeable on the trail but still roll smoothly and quickly...
    im getting another set of wheels built for the krampus but think im going to stick with the knard except in the 120 tpi,im still debating on rims since the hugos look to prone to rock damage which means all but useless here,the dually may be a good contender but the rabbit holes are pretty bombproof...

seedub
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    setup easy with 1 wrap of tape over the rim strip and split tube.
    27 tpi

will go back to that setup when the studs come off.

seedub
    Studs: Rumors up here in the north are that folks are studding up tires with whatever they've got - i.e. old-school method of turning wood screws through the tire from the inside out - then going tubeless. The Stan's sealing up the tire adequately.
    I've been running 120 tpi Knards on Rabbit Holes using split-tube for about a year. 26" tubes have been no problem, I'd like to try 24" tubes though for the minuscule weight savings, and in that many say that they work better. I only use a floor pump (out of necessity) and have had no seating issues if the beads are cleaned of old set-up Stan's.
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the nicotines work really well on the rabbit holes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the input. Doesn't look to me like this combo would be reliable unless you use the split tube method, which doesn't offer much in the way of weight savings. Guess I'll wait for the Hugo to make it to market.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    seems plenty reliable to me,just set my rear wheel up last night with just 2 layers of gorilla tape and a thin strip of window foam and they held 25 psi all night which is 10 psi higher than i ever ride them,and the front tire held pressure sitting in an unheated shop for a week while i waited for the new hope hub to get installed...

Knard-Rabbit Hole Tubeless-001.jpg

seedub
    There are other bennies besides weight; rolling resistance, no-snake bites, thorns - and the cool factor. I feel like I can tell the difference between tubed and non, but I may be crazy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Split tube is working great for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    seems plenty reliable to me,just set my rear wheel up last night with just 2 layers of gorilla tape and a thin strip of window foam and they held 25 psi all night which is 10 psi higher than i ever ride them,and the front tire held pressure sitting in an unheated shop for a week while i waited for the new hope hub to get installed...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	968375
    Yeah, I wan't very clear in my original post. I'm sure you're correct in that the tape/foam method works. I am just not a fan of that system. Although I'm sure it's lighter than the split tube method. I was able to convert the Rolling Darryl & Dillinger combo on my Beargrease using just a stock rim strip and two layers of clear packing tape. I was hoping to be able to use that system with the 29+ wheels when the time comes. I'm not as worried about using the Hugo since my riding doesn't include too much rocky terrain.