Keep on Rockin...

KM w/ 650b out back, 29er front....

Long time KM rider here, and I'd like to give something new a try.

One of my KMs are set up geared and rigid. With a fat tire out back I can't run the wheel all the way forward as I run into FD clearance issues as well as chainstay clearance issues. This is made worse when cornering hard as even though I've got a solid rear wheel (Flow on a CK hub). The handling characteristics I get with the effective short chainstay is something I really like. Also, I personally find 9sp drivetrains (what I'm using) not perfectly suited for 29 rear wheels. The bike is used mostly as a "mule" bike - backwoods ventures on techy, rugged, steep hiking trails - sort of hiking by bike; and for access for "far out" trail work. On paper a 650b out back might make a better set up. A slightly smaller, tougher, wheel that could get up to speed a bit more easily would be nice. The expected geo changes would be small and actually something I'd favor.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Has anyone tried this? Picking up my first KM frame-set ever today and am thinking of possibilities....

Keep on Rockin...
    Yes....

Set up SS, run a 19x32 and you get the shortest chain stay possible on the bike, and you can run a very fat 275 with no clearance issues.

The geo changes are all good as far as I'm concerned. I run it rigid.

Ran a standard 275 wheel out back spaced out for SS use. Liked it so much I pulled apart my dead 29er SS rear wheel and am having the King hub built up on a 275. Actually, that wheel should be done any day now.

It is a great bike full 29, but there were some issues: Rear tire clearance when running a very big tire. I prefer a lower BB and slacker angles, both STA and HTA. Running rigid, it is the front end where you need the bigger wheel.

I run a large on every other frame I own, but on the KM, rigid, I like a tighter bike, so I'm on a medium. That is one of the reasons I think the slacker geo works well for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sweeeeet.

I'm going to run it full 29er to start, but when I start upgrading I wanted to go with a 650b rear. The idea makes sense to me but I was wondering how the ride would change.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was out riding my 650b Troll yesterday and this very same thought came to me. The Troll works beautifully with a KM fork so I think I can achieve the same HT/ST angles by going with the larger diameter wheel and the stock fork. And because I'm so far ahead of my time I'm going 29-.