mtbr member
    Dec 2008

KM surly threaded hub question

i have a 2008 km set up ss with a surly threaded hub. i use a surly tuggnut on the drive side. I have a spare wheelset with big apples that I switch out depending on where I am riding.

my question is that after a couple of times of removing and reinstalling the rear wheel with the threaded surly hub, why do the bearings get tight? Am I doing something wrong? I adjust the bearings so there is no play in the hubs and i tighten the two locking nuts so they are tight, but after a few times of tightening and loosening the axle nuts, the bearings get tight and I have to re-adjust them again.

not a huge deal, but just wondering if I am missing something here?

thanks for any help, JN

Abby Normal
    Surly New model hubs are notoriously difficult to adjust properly - I had the same problems with mine. You can try swapping out the original 7901 (adjustable) cartridge bearings with 6901 (non-adjustable) bearings:

FAQs | The Information Hole | Surly Bikes

This is the cheapest option but still requires a bit of fiddling to get it just right. Or you can 'upgrade' your hub to their 'Ultra New' axle / bearing setup:

Surly Ultra New Hub Axle Kit > Components > Wheel Goods > Axles | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I've done this on my rear hub and it's been pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks for the reply. I figure at some point i will upgrade to the ultra new hub kit, but I can live with this for now.

curious to hear from other riders who have upgraded if they think it is worth the $45 or just pop in the non-adjustable bearings?

thanks for any insight.

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    I think it is worth it. No cone wrenches to fool with, no need to carry a 15 mm wrench, and you can switch to a quick release in seconds too.