Thread: KM set-up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

KM set-up?

I bought a 2005 Karate Monkey and still trying to find the best set-up.

Because I am racing XC, I thought I would see if I could lighten it up, I replaced my susp fork with the rigid.

and the Thudbuster with a CF post from my CX bike. All that only saved me a pound and a half, so I am questioning the weight savings vs comfort. I know that is a personal choice and plan to ride trails on Saturday fully rigid.

My other problem is the front derailleur... I used the recommended LX fd and re[placed the attachment bolt with a button head, but the tire flexes and rubs the derailleur...I am running the new longer Monkey Nuts....

If I remove the Nuts, the tire is too close to the derailleur. Is this just a fact with KMs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Also, so I didn't have to reset the front disc brakes, I used a spare BB5 and real old canti brake lever. There seems to be a lot of throw in the lever, do old levers not work with mechanical discs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes/No

your old levers work for Canti brakes and will work for the ROAD version of the BB5. V-Brake Linear pull levers work for the MTB version of the BB5's. The levers have different throws and your old levers just don't work well for V-Brakes/MTB BB5 disc brakes. Your cheapest bet is to buy a pair of V-Brake levers.

p

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks... Great info! I figured it was wrong-ish....

mtbr member
    what wheels do you have? lighter rims will make a big difference.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Going rigid is not worth the weight savings unless your trails are super smooth. Even if you went to a carbon fork, it wouldn't make you faster and will only hurt more. Mack Turtle is right - wheel weight is the answer. That's where you will get the most affect from weight savings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    what wheels do you have? lighter rims will make a big difference.
    You are right! this is the way! I know, this is expensive but save weight in the wheels really changes the bike.

Dinner for wolves
    Tires also are also some of the best bang4buck upgrades you can make. I put a set of Maxxis Beavers on my Karate Monkey in February and they just kick so much arse. New wheels are nice, but not cheap. New tires, on the other hand...
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the ideas.... I am running Mavic 719 rims and Conti tires with Stan's tubeless kit. I have a Race King in the rear and Mountain King in front. I like the tires, they seem to hook up well with my style (or lack of) riding. I would love a set of Stan's new wheelset...

mtbr member
    If this is a race bike the goal is to be fastest and the lightest bike isn't going to be the fastest necessarily. Unless your XC courses are really smooth you may well find a slightly heavier suspension for gives better lap times.

The other thing to consider is the fastest rolling tires you can use that are appropriate for your terrain. Again not the lightest, but the ones with the least rolling resistance.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com