JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

KM and quick release?

Looking at getting a KM all I really need is a frameset if a QR rear wheel wont slip.If it does I will just buy the complete which comes with a bolt on axle.anyway whats your thought on running aQR on a monkey.250# using long lever and small cog?By the way would a king hub with fun bolts work without slipping?

I do what I want
    From my experience running single speed, it will slip, even with fun bolts, without a chain tensioner. Gears you'd be fine.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Doesnt the KM come with a tug nut for chain tension or is that an after market thing and can it be used with QR.Really like geometry of the KM over the EL mar. but the drop outs have to work or that a deal breaker

lord of my world
    I had a KM for 6 years and never had the rear slip bolt on or QR. just use a high quality or steel skewer.

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    drop outs will work, you may have to ham fist it to close the QR. an enclosed cam QR will make it hold better, just ask sheldon Bicycle Quick-release Skewers

Tugnutz will make it better, they have a little washer piece that will make it work with a QR

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by JRR View Post
    Doesnt the KM come with a tug nut for chain tension or is that an after market thing and can it be used with QR.Really like geometry of the KM over the EL mar. but the drop outs have to work or that a deal breaker

Tuggnut is after market, does not come with frame.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    like GuyFord said it doesn't come with a chain tug... use a shimano type QR and you'll be fine Bicycle Quick-release Skewers
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I have some nice Shimano QR skewers on my bike and it stays tight and straight with the help of a single Tugnut on the drive side. however, I don't need the Tugnut anymore because I put a 32/20 gear on it and the axle fits perfectly in the forward-most position in the slots. I have to use a master link in my chain (KMC z610hx) to remove it though, which is kind of a pain. it's worth it though because having the wheel that far forward makes this a wheelie machine!

mtbr member
    I had a frame with KM drops and good Shimano QRs--slip city until I added a chain tug. This was frustrating.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL frameset, XL

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I've had some slippage issues on my KM using a Shimano QR. You really need to get the QR as tight as it can go for it not to slip. I would get a tuggnut for the drive side unless you go bolt on. I've kicked myself for not getting a tuggnut since I bought the frame..Surly needs to make a cheaper version of them.

mtbr member
    who says you have to use a Surly Tugnut? they are nice, but any chain tensioner with an adapter to fit your QR skewer should do just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ride fixed and SS w/ XT skewer, no slipping. I did have slipping, even geared, w/ a burley trailer skewer. But my daughter has outgrown the trailer so...

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    who says you have to use a Surly Tugnut? they are nice, but any chain tensioner with an adapter to fit your QR skewer should do just fine.
    This is a valid point. I had considered getting a cheap chain tensioner and using the Surly QR adapter/washer. Wasn't certain that it would work well. I've never used chain tensioners before except for the "built in" ones that came on my monocog flight to push the sliders back.

mtbr member
    The drive-side on my Cross-Check would occasionally slip forward using a Salsa skewer, no matter how hard I did it up. Using a Shimano XT cam-style skewer has fixed the problem.

It was always when I stood on the pedals to grunt it up the start of a climb and as a singlespeed Pugsley rider that was a habit too hard to break ;^)

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ya my KM had issues with the hope skewers... used an old (mid 90's shimano LX skewer cranked down hard and it was fine.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JRR View Post
    Looking at getting a KM all I really need is a frameset if a QR rear wheel wont slip.If it does I will just buy the complete which comes with a bolt on axle.anyway whats your thought on running aQR on a monkey.250# using long lever and small cog?By the way would a king hub with fun bolts work without slipping?
    I use Deore XT Hubs and skewers and they don't slip. A friend of mir usese Deore hubs and skewers and has no problems, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    This is a valid point.
    then again, your choices for tensioners that also open beer bottles are limited.

then again, again, I have found that a SPD mountain pedal works just as well for this purpose, so I don't need any special components to open bottles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My KM came with monkey nuts ( their wording) . Small locking spacers that spaced the rear wheel back a ways. Wouldn't that fit the bill? Assuming the wheel is slipping forward. I have nutted axles, so no issues for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    My KM came with monkey nuts ( their wording) . Small locking spacers that spaced the rear wheel back a ways. Wouldn't that fit the bill? Assuming the wheel is slipping forward. I have nutted axles, so no issues for me.
    No. Those are for using a front Derailleur.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes but would work to keep the drive side from slipping forward, right?

mtbr member
    I think it comes down to how and where you ride. Around me there are a lot of short, steep hills that really require some power. Almost everyone can make a Shimano QR slip, and many can even slip a bolt axle. People have even slipped the non-drive side if they only use one tensioner (yes, I ride with some strong riders).

When I ran my KM single speed, I used a tensioner on each side. No chance of anything slipping, plus I could take the wheel off and put it back on in the same position each time. I personally like Redline tensioners; lightweight and easy to use.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I weigh 225 and use an xt skewer without problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    however, I don't need the Tugnut anymore because I put a 32/20 gear on it and the axle fits perfectly in the forward-most position in the slots.
    And how do you thighten the chain after a while?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    And how do you thighten the chain after a while?
    You have to wait until it wears enough to shorten it! Half links help here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polk View Post
    I think it comes down to how and where you ride. Around me there are a lot of short, steep hills that really require some power. Almost everyone can make a Shimano QR slip, and many can even slip a bolt axle. People have even slipped the non-drive side if they only use one tensioner (yes, I ride with some strong riders).

When I ran my KM single speed, I used a tensioner on each side. No chance of anything slipping, plus I could take the wheel off and put it back on in the same position each time. I personally like Redline tensioners; lightweight and easy to use.
    Polk, what size does one buy for a std qr axle? They have 14mm and 3/8.