Thread: KM or Ogre

CS2
    mtbr member

KM or Ogre

I had a chance to see a new Ogre last weekend. It's a very nice bike. The only problem is all those braze ons and canti mounts. The KM is more to my liking but it only comes as a SS. I wish Surly would build a geared KM. Life would be so much simpler that way.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I had a chance to see a new Ogre last weekend. It's a very nice bike. The only problem is all those braze ons and canti mounts. The KM is more to my liking but it only comes as a SS. I wish Surly would build a geared KM. Life would be so much simpler that way.
    ...but the SS is as simple as you can get.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    ...but the SS is as simple as you can get.
    That my friend is true. So is the fact that after 50 our legs get a little soft, which means gear are nice.

Maybe I should get a Pugsley. That way it looks like your supposed to be going slow.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My KM frame is for sale so that I can pick up an Ogre. I want the rear dropouts of the Ogre, makes using disc brakes and a rear rack at the same time easier. I've already picked up a Fargo fork to go with it.

My Surly bikes show all of their warts (braze ons, canti mounts) with pride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Oh no sir, the KM doesn't only come as a single speed - it also comes as a frameset. (Once upon a time, that was the only way you could get one.) And then you can build it up with as many gears as you want. Ask your bike shop about build kits that could save you some money over buying all the components seperately. I bet you could build up a geared Monkey for about the same, or maybe even a little less, than the Ogre Complete.

P.S. braze-ons and canti posts are never problem - wish more mountain bikes had them these days.

mtbr member
    The braze-ons and canti mounts make the Ogre the most versatile bike on the market. The Ogre can do things that a Karate Monkey cannot, but the opposite is not true. Do you want a bike for function, or a bike for fashion?

The Ogre could replace every bike in your stable. You only have one set of legs...
    Last edited by mattbryant2; 09-13-2012 at 09:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That my friend is true. So is the fact that after 50 our legs get a little soft, which means gear are nice.
    ...because you rode gears before
    When I was 49, I changed my KM from geared to SSP and after a few months I had so much more power. Now I'm 50 and SSP it's a really fun

But if you still want gears: why don't you ask your local bike shop to get the KM frame only and build up an individually geared version for you.

Attached Image is me and my SSP Karate Monkey in the swiss alps at the Scalettapass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KM or Ogre-scalettapasssd.jpg  

undercover brother

Maybe I should get a Pugsley. That way it looks like your supposed to be going slow.
    Dude, I ride a pugs and it is not slow... it may be a little sluggish off the get go, but nothing, I repeat, nothing slows the momentum of that bike down. It's a whole different ride compared to my 25lb HT. Not too mention to permanent grin you won't be able to remove from your face.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    The braze-ons and canti mounts make the Ogre the most versatile bike on the market. The Ogre can do things that a Karate Monkey cannot, but the opposite is not true. Do you want a bike for function, or a bike for fashion?

The Ogre could replace every bike in your stable. You only have one set of legs...

You're right there. Does anyone know if the KM complete uses a SS specific hub or a regular hub with spacers?

mtbr member
    It says on the website that it comes with Surly hubs(Surly New model , 32h. Black.). Surly doesn't make geared hubs so I would bet they are single speed specific.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    It says on the website that it comes with Surly hubs(Surly New model , 32h. Black.). Surly doesn't make geared hubs so I would bet they are single speed specific.
    I was hoping it used spacers like the Raliegh Furly. That bike is about 95% ready to go from SS to geared. It's just isn't as nice as the KM or Ogre.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Krampus.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Krampus.
    Looks great but isn't due out for a while is it?