mtbr member
    Mar 2011

KM horizontal dropout problems

I got a karate monkey this past week and I'm running it geared. I'm putting fenders on it so i machined some spacer type things to put in front of the axel, like monkey nuts, to make room up front. Now my problem is whenever I brake hard the side of the wheel with the brake on it slides backwards. Do I just need to tighten the crap out of the quick release? Or is there something else I need to do. Sorry this is the first time I've dealt with horizontal dropouts.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Yes, tighten the QR more so than you would on a bike with vertical dropouts.

You might also benefit from a QR that has good "bite". Some cheap ones don't really grip very well.
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    I could never stop my wheel moving using Salsa Skewers, Shimano side-cam ones work good.

mtbr member
    IF you're geared, why not run the dropouts all the way forward?? It's not like you need the tension. You can remove links and let the rear derailur do it's job?
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    IF you're geared, why not run the dropouts all the way forward?? It's not like you need the tension. You can remove links and let the rear derailur do it's job?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm running 2.2" tires and when they are moved all the way up they rub on the front derailleur. I put fenders on so it had to be moved back even further. I'll go with smaller tires in the future, but this is all I have right now. What size tires are you guys running?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prattcm View Post
    I'm running 2.2" tires and when they are moved all the way up they rub on the front derailleur. I put fenders on so it had to be moved back even further. I'll go with smaller tires in the future, but this is all I have right now. What size tires are you guys running?
    sorry, I misunderstood the direction of the slippage.. you need a stronger cam-skewer, like Shimano XT ones..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prattcm View Post
    Shouldn't have to move for the fender, but I never ran a front derailur on mine. I've run 2.4in wide in rear and had clearance issues with crap tons of mud, but that was about it, and I was only 1x9 or SS with the KM
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Pick up a cheapo chain tensioner at your local bike shop, While a stronger QR will do the trick, you may still have slight slippage in the future or if not tightened enough. Chain tensioners will solve your problem for good and a decent one can easily be less than a XT skewer. I honestly suggest getting a cheap chain tensioner, and putting it on your rotor side.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Surly tugnuts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What about the Surly Monkey nuts? I think they will help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by madbike View Post
    sorry, I misunderstood the direction of the slippage.. you need a stronger cam-skewer, like Shimano XT ones..
    When I was using a trailer skewer on my Pugsley (same dropouts, roughly) I had that same slippage problem, so I put a tuggnutt on the brake side and that solved it. Now that my kids have outgrown the trailer I took that skewer out and switched to a Shimano one, problem remained solved.